The America that Never Was: An Alternate History of the United States of America (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:57:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The America that Never Was: An Alternate History of the United States of America (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The America that Never Was: An Alternate History of the United States of America  (Read 53701 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: July 01, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »

Good start.

However, I have a few issues with Canadian independence by 1783. Firstly, a note that the names Ontario and Quebec applied to those specific territories are only in use since 1867 (though the Province of Quebec was used before to refer to a huge area including American land). Secondly, Ottawa only became important by the late 1840s-1850s. I'm not sure if Ottawa/Bytown as a city even existed in 1783 (we're a new city). Quebec City was the capital then.

In 1783, Ontario (Upper Canada) was very sparsely populated and only became important with the influx of Loyalists. French Catholics were the large majority of the Canadian population, concentrated in Lower Canada. New Brunswick became a colony in 1784, and it was a quasi-entirely empty piece of land then filled with woods (later to be exploited, though). I doubt Nova Scotia and Lower Canada, the only relevant parcels of land in 1783, would want to join together and if such a union would be economically viable or politically stable. As for what is now Manitoba, nothing but a bunch of Indians, bison and HBC land.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies