Summer TL: President Henry Wallace (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:36:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Summer TL: President Henry Wallace (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summer TL: President Henry Wallace  (Read 69919 times)
Lahbas
United States

« on: July 10, 2009, 10:48:58 PM »

I have just finished reading this and saw your discussion on nuclear weapons, and I would just like to make a point in that direction. In the case that the weapons were never use, they would not have the same level of importance. In fact, I doubt that even Hydrogen bombs would have been developed, staying at the Fission level. At the same time, the effects upon human beings were only being studied at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the bombs themselves originally meant to hit the beachs, with the marines pouring in two days after, when the radiation would be at its worst. Without those detonations, the true power and danger of these weapons would never have been fully known, nor realized. The Soviet Union would not have pursued it as much as it did due to its power not being fully known, developing it somewhere by the early fifties. There would be no Nuclear Proliferation Pact, and Nuclear Technology would become largely available. Until a nuclear detonation on a major city were to occur, or there was a meltdown somewhere around the globe, there would be no fear, nor no plan to deal with, nuclear radiation. The public itself would know about it by then, but they would think of it as just another bomb, without the pictures of Hiroshima. Also, there would be no concept of "Fallout", so it would be though perfectly acceptable to detonate nukes in Central Germany. Scary, I know, but that is at least what I think the world would have looked like. Something you are going to have to deal with now is that it is very likely that a few nuclear reactors do exist in the now Islamic Republic of Iran.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:00:31 PM »

Bush/Kemp in 84!!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies