Most liberal U.S. counties which voted for Bush in 2004 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:08:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most liberal U.S. counties which voted for Bush in 2004 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most liberal U.S. counties which voted for Bush in 2004  (Read 11228 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 04, 2008, 07:24:21 PM »
« edited: January 04, 2008, 10:32:51 PM by nclib »

I'd guess Staten Island since Bush got a bounce from 9/11.

Buncombe, NC is reasonably liberal for its region.

Other suggestions?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:40:42 PM »

Yes, corrected.

Staten Island is not all that liberal, at least socially, though certainly more so than many rural areas.

My understanding is that Staten Island is conservative for NYC and the Northeast, though reasonably liberal compared to the nation. As I said earlier, the 2004 Bush numbers were inflated due to 9/11.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:15:44 PM »

There are some really odd definitions of "liberal" going on here.  Suburbs = liberal?  Exurban Phoenix = liberal?

Exurban Phoenix and Maricopa County are not the same thing. All I know is it was the only Bush-voting county I can think of which was against banning same-sex marriage.

I think there were about a dozen others (I made a thread on this, but I don't remember where).

Also, most liberal states did not have a same-sex marriage ban on the ballot.

Lastly, the Arizona measure was more restrictive than those of some other states.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:42:16 PM »

Kerry won Asheville city, 60% to 39%.  Bush landslided the rest of the county (not so much suburbs as satellite towns).

About of third of Buncombe's population is in Asheville, so if the city turnout is on par with the county turnout, Bush would have won Buncombe by around 11%, since he won the county by only 0.6%.

I'm not sure I'd call a >1/3 black city that gave Kerry 60% "hippie," but it's liberal.

Huh

According to Census Factfinder, Asheville's black population is 14.8%.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies