Map I just made - No. of commissioners per GA county
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:42:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Map I just made - No. of commissioners per GA county
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Map I just made - No. of commissioners per GA county  (Read 3268 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:06:12 PM »

On a whim I thought this would be an interesting map to see, so I set out and made it. 100 minutes, non-stop, Microsoft Paint. Grin First time I ever made a map or any such.

It's a map of the number of people on each county government's board of commissioners.

I was actually kind of suprised at how little it's based off population. Also, lol at Webster for having one commissioner for every 450 people.

Of the largest ones, Clarke has 11, Chatham has 9, and Muscogee and Richmond each have 10.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:24 PM »

Hmm, interesting. Hardly a board of commissioners if there's only one though. Grin
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:56:48 PM »

Hmm, interesting. Hardly a board of commissioners if there's only one though. Grin

I'm assuming one of the white counties is Hazzard County.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 07:09:05 PM »

I'm assuming one of the white counties is Hazzard County.

Grin
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »

It's a map of the number of people on each county government's board of commissioners.

I was actually kind of suprised at how little it's based off population. Also, lol at Webster for having one commissioner for every 450 people.
How is the size of the commission determined?

In Texas, all counties have 4 county commissioners, including Loving County which has fewer than 100 persons, and Harris which is the 3rd most-populous in the country with about 3.5 million.

Commissioner precincts (districts) have to be equal population, but each commissioner has some administrative jurisdiction in his precinct.  This means that in rural counties, each precinct might include part of the county seat in order to meet the equal population requirements, but then include large swaths of the county so that each commissioner has some roads to maintain.

Even in Harris County, there is some attempt to give each precinct some unincorporated areas so that they can develop parks and build roads.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 02:05:20 PM »

How is the size of the commission determined?

In Texas, all counties have 4 county commissioners, including Loving County which has fewer than 100 persons, and Harris which is the 3rd most-populous in the country with about 3.5 million.

Commissioner precincts (districts) have to be equal population, but each commissioner has some administrative jurisdiction in his precinct.  This means that in rural counties, each precinct might include part of the county seat in order to meet the equal population requirements, but then include large swaths of the county so that each commissioner has some roads to maintain.

Even in Harris County, there is some attempt to give each precinct some unincorporated areas so that they can develop parks and build roads.

As far as I know the number of commissioners is solely determined by the county government itself.

There's also in GA no specific authority that commissioners have over their own districts, at least in the county governments I'm familiar with.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies