is it time for the democrats to make it crystal clear and admit what they are?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:51:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  is it time for the democrats to make it crystal clear and admit what they are?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is it time for the democrats to make it crystal clear and admit what they are?  (Read 1037 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2011, 12:49:07 PM »

In my opinion, the democrats need to come out right out of the gates and admit that we are and proudly so: "A top and bottom coalition" in the mold of Jon Lindsay (who was a former republican himself). If we are honest about who we are then people will appreciate it and it will be difficult for republicans to pigeonhole us.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:09:09 PM »

I think that would backfire tremendously but I just wanted to say that the whole top-and-bottom coalition concept is actually very interesting. It reminds me of how when Islam came to India the people who converted were the ruling classes (because they tended to be supplanted by or marry into Islamic invaders anyway) and the lowest castes and untouchables (because Islam doesn't have a caste system). So that's what I think of when I think of top-and-bottom coalitions (though obviously it isn't the case any more in India). It's a bit odd to think of Democrats as analogous to Muslims and Republicans as analogous to Hindus for some reason, though. So I guess what I'm trying to say here is, do you ever actually do any work constructing your discussion topics or do you just pick them from a hat and post them unedited?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:16:56 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2011, 11:20:45 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

The problem with American politics is that the Republican party is a little tent jammed with people, while the Democratic party is essentially everyone not in that tent, and is all over the place. What do Barbara Lee and Zell Miller have in common? Beats me.

On the one hand the party has liberals. On the other hand, they have voters who will vote for a far right-winger like Mike Oliverio over an incumbent in a primary.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 11:23:22 PM »

A "top and bottom" coalition? Are you kidding?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

my idea is that if the democrats make it clear that our base is one of minorities and whites who are either (and sometimes more than one of these things) ras-trents, skateboarders/surfers/punks/stoners, academics, single people without children, jews, atheists, or gays then we should be able to mobilize the said groups and try to win elections.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 01:13:19 PM »

my idea is that if the democrats make it clear that our base is one of minorities and whites who are either (and sometimes more than one of these things) ras-trents, skateboarders/surfers/punks/stoners, academics, single people without children, jews, atheists, or gays then we should be able to mobilize the said groups and try to win elections.

Wait a minute......WHAT!?
I'm sorry, you lost me at "skateboarders/surfers/punks/stoners".

And also, what the hell is a "ras-trent"?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »

And also, what the hell is a "ras-trent"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDq3_Af_cF4
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 01:26:32 PM »

Shouldn't this thread be on the homosexual board?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »

Shouldn't this thread be on the homosexual board?

We have a gay board?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »

They're everywhere, no?  Why do you think Sam rarely comes out of his room anymore? 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 02:28:20 PM »

They're everywhere, no?  Why do you think Sam rarely comes out of his room anymore? 

I always found it rather interesting that I was always thought of as this "obsessed-with-homosexuality" poster, yet I probably posted less on the topic than 9 out of 10 active posters on this forum.  I can only infer that it's because nearly all of my comments on the subject were usually derogatory insults which stick in people's minds, as opposed to writing long screeds on the topic, whether for or against, that simply bore to death.  What a waste of time that is - I'm pretty dead-set in my convictions, and I suspect everyone else is too (except for the joke posters).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 02:32:47 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2011, 02:45:14 PM by Torie »

They're everywhere, no?  Why do you think Sam rarely comes out of his room anymore?  

I always found it rather interesting that I was always thought of as this "obsessed-with-homosexuality" poster, yet I probably posted less on the topic than 9 out of 10 active posters on this forum.  I can only infer that it's because nearly all of my comments on the subject were usually derogatory insults which stick in people's minds, as opposed to writing long screeds on the topic, whether for or against, that simply bore to death.  What a waste of time that is - I'm pretty dead-set in my convictions, and I suspect everyone else is too (except for the joke posters).

Yes, you can be pithy and clear when you want to be Sam. No doubt about it.   And yes, it is not the number of posts that matters, but just how arresting they are. If it were the former, Roch would be right up there on Mt. Olympus.  He's somewhere, but not there. You might be though.  Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 02:35:29 PM »

The term "top-bottom coalition" probably needs to be dispensed of.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »

I always found it rather interesting that I was always thought of as this "obsessed-with-homosexuality" poster, yet I probably posted less on the topic than 9 out of 10 active posters on this forum.  I can only infer that it's because nearly all of my comments on the subject were usually derogatory insults which stick in people's minds, as opposed to writing long screeds on the topic, whether for or against, that simply bore to death.  What a waste of time that is - I'm pretty dead-set in my convictions, and I suspect everyone else is too (except for the joke posters).

Were you touched by one of your uncles as a child?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 04:57:50 PM »

Top and bottom coalition?  It sounds like the most boring homosexual orgy of all time.

(Cue Sam Spade saying, "isn't 'the most boring homosexual orgy of all time' an accurate description of the Democratic Party?")
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »

'They'?

But seriously folks, the thing the Democratic Party aught to admit is that it is a right-wing party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies