NRA Considering backing Dems in Ohio. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:46:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NRA Considering backing Dems in Ohio. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NRA Considering backing Dems in Ohio.  (Read 5567 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« on: August 11, 2005, 02:16:10 AM »

From Politics 1…

“OHIO: The politically influential NRA and other pro-gun rights groups are openly considering working for the defeat next year of US Senator Mike DeWine (R), according to The Hill. One DC gun lobbyist called DeWine "the most activist, anti-gun Republican in the Senate" and praised Congressman Tim Ryan (D) -- a potential DeWine challenger -- as having "a long and consistent record of pro-gun support." Larry Pratt, head of the more uncompromising Gun Owners of America, said his group graded DeWine an "F" rating and Ryan a "B" rating (versus a "D" grade for Bill Frist and a "C" for Rick Santorum). "Personally, as an individual and an ardent Republican, I would love to see anyone run against DeWine, especially Ryan," said Rick Kaleda, a NRA political organizer for Ohio. DeWine was one of only two GOP Senators to oppose a bill protecting gun makers from liability for damages caused by the use of their products. State GOP Political Director Jason Mauk said he wasn't worried about DeWine being vulnerable, because the Dems do not yet have an announced candidate and DeWine "votes with the President 95% of the time." However, the ongoing scandals swirling around term-limited Governor Bob Taft (R) -- now holding a dismal 17% approval rating -- are also causing major electoral concerns for many GOP candidates in the state.”

I expect some still don’t think DeWine is vulnerable, but with abysmal ratings, a disaffected base, strong potential democratic challengers and the NRA openly thinking of campaigning against the race looks more and more competitive.       
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 05:31:36 AM »

Said all along that Ryan was the strongest candidate, indeed even if Haskett ran he'd probably be acceptable to the NRA from what i recall he's very pro 2nd amendment.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 12:24:34 PM »

This is not necessarily surprising, since DeWine has been pretty weak on gun issues all around (to put it mildly).

Of course, this all depends on who the Democrats put up as a candidate in 2006.

If Brown... NRA stays out or even backs DeWine, though little practical help i would expect, Brown probably goes on to lose by a respectable margin.

If Ryan... NRA make positive nosies if he is nominated and attack DeWine while endorsing Ryan, liberal third party candidate makes it close, but with Democrat and NRA money comming in Ryan makes the race very competative and probably wins. 
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 01:19:09 PM »

This is not necessarily surprising, since DeWine has been pretty weak on gun issues all around (to put it mildly).

Of course, this all depends on who the Democrats put up as a candidate in 2006.

If Brown... NRA stays out or even backs DeWine, though little practical help i would expect, Brown probably goes on to lose by a respectable margin.

If Ryan... NRA make positive nosies if he is nominated and attack DeWine while endorsing Ryan, liberal third party candidate makes it close, but with Democrat and NRA money comming in Ryan makes the race very competative and probably wins. 

Wouldn't it be awesome if option 2 happens?

It would, but I'm afraid we have to wait and see what the Democrats of Ohio decide to do... fingers crossed Smiley
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 05:49:21 AM »

You know what this means... we agree Sad

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies