Demint says pregnant unwed mothers and homosexuals should not be teachers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:12:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Demint says pregnant unwed mothers and homosexuals should not be teachers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Would you support banning homosexuals and/or pregnant unwed mothers from becoming public school teachers?
Ban both

Ban unwed pregnant mothers, but not homosexuals

Ban homosexuals, but not unwed pregnant mothers

Allow both

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Demint says pregnant unwed mothers and homosexuals should not be teachers  (Read 11581 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2004, 07:59:36 PM »

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (AP) -- A U.S. Senate candidate who said recently that homosexuals should not be teaching in South Carolina's public schools has added another group to his list of poor role models for children -- pregnant women with live-in boyfriends.

Jim DeMint, a Republican third-term congressman running for the Senate, made the comment about homosexuals during a debate Sunday with his Democratic opponent. Some gay organizations immediately demanded an apology.

On Tuesday, in an interview with the Aiken Standard, DeMint said: "I would have given the same answer when asked if a single woman, who was pregnant and living with her boyfriend, should be hired to teach my third-grade children. I just think the moral decisions are different with a teacher."

The Log Cabin Republicans, a national organization of gay conservatives, were among several activist groups that asked DeMint to apologize for his comments on openly gay teachers. The DeMint campaign said the candidate stands by his beliefs and there would be no apology.

At the debate, DeMint said he agreed with the state GOP platform that openly gay men and women should not be allowed to teach in public schools.

"We need the folks that are teaching in schools to represent our values," he said.

Democrat Inez Tenenbaum replied during the back-and-forth that DeMint's comments were "un-American."

The candidate's comments came less than a week after a DeMint staffer was reprimanded for using a slur about lesbians in an e-mail.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 08:33:57 PM »

Allow both.  What-ever.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 11:01:55 PM »

Don't ask, don't tell

Pregnant, unwed mothers shouldn't be teachers, though. That's ridiculous.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 02:45:44 AM »

This is further compelling me to wing $20 to Inez.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 04:52:30 AM »

Don't ask, don't tell

Why not?

DeMint is spewing hate, but that should sell reasonably well in South Carolina.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 02:43:48 PM »

Don't ask, don't tell

Why not?

There were a lot better subjects DeMint could have chosen had he wanted to throw red meat to his base.  Not only that but the quasi-apologies he's given since the debate have killed any chance of his statements helping him with his base.  What happened was he put foot in mouth during a debate and hasn't yet gotten it out despite his attempts to do so.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 07:01:38 PM »

Don't ask, don't tell

Why not?

There were a lot better subjects DeMint could have chosen had he wanted to throw red meat to his base.  Not only that but the quasi-apologies he's given since the debate have killed any chance of his statements helping him with his base.  What happened was he put foot in mouth during a debate and hasn't yet gotten it out despite his attempts to do so.

Ernest, who are you voting for?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 07:18:58 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2004, 07:21:11 PM by Treasury Secretary Beef »

I'm glad I don't live in the South.

He probably also thinks that folks from racially miscigenated families shouldn't be teachers either.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 07:25:41 PM »

I don't really care if a black rhino with a tutu is teaching me, assuming I'm learning.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 08:16:45 PM »

DeMint + Coburn = Priceless
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 08:43:47 PM »

You probably didn't hear about this, but Georgia Secretary of State Cathy Cox wanted to strike the word 'evolution' out of the state curriculum(this idea didn't last after everyone with a brain said 'WTF? You're crazy, woman!').
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 11:11:38 PM »

You probably didn't hear about this, but Georgia Secretary of State Cathy Cox wanted to strike the word 'evolution' out of the state curriculum(this idea didn't last after everyone with a brain said 'WTF? You're crazy, woman!').

It's the flipside of the Boulder, CO city council changing all city animal ordinances to replace the word "pet" with "animal companion."

I hate political correctness, whether on the Left or Right.

PS: I do think evolution should be taught as theory, not fact.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 11:56:56 PM »

Demitt + Coburn  =  Dems taking back the Senate
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 11:09:32 AM »

I'll be voting for Inez, altho I won't be in the least bit upset if DeMint wins as I think that either one of them would be a fine Senator, altho for different reasons.  My reason for favoring Inez is simply that I despise the secretive 501(c) groups and one of them, Americans for Job Security,  ran a series of ads against Inez.  If it weren't for their ads, I'd still be undecided in this race.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 01:06:10 PM »

I heard about that. It was crazy, and luckily the most repsected Georgian in the world, who is pretty Christian himself, threw a fit over it.
Light Touch

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 01:41:19 PM »

PS: I do think evolution should be taught as theory, not fact.

Why?  It's fact.  You can impute deism if you like, but evolution simply occurs.  Certain aspects are in dispute, but not the principle.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 02:12:56 PM »

I heard about that. It was crazy, and luckily the most repsected Georgian in the world, who is pretty Christian himself, threw a fit over it.

It's nice to hear that Zell can throw a sensible fit. Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 01:07:52 AM »

Lets see.. everyone with a brain?  What percentage of the electorate is that?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2004, 08:52:39 PM »

Lets see.. everyone with a brain?  What percentage of the electorate is that?

Even morons can scrap together some common sense sometimes.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 09:04:54 PM »

I think that more, not less, should be taught about evolution

Such as the fact that it's been proven false
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2004, 11:16:28 AM »

How so? Evolution hasn't been proven outright false or true as far as I know.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2004, 05:31:32 PM »

um, no, it hasn't
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2004, 12:45:48 AM »

Evolution is a theory, not a fact. It has been proven neither wrong or right.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2004, 09:36:32 AM »

Of course not, scientific theories can never be "proven" true.

The theory of evolution is more than just a "theory." The word "theory" in normal usage means a guess or a hunch. But in science, a "theory" is a belief that has been verified by actual experimentation and/or observation.

Evolution is more than a theory; it is an established fact; the earth's structures have changed and its life forms have evolved over billions of years. Species of animals have been recently observed as continuing to evolve, both in the lab and field.

I personally believe in theistic evolution.

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2004, 09:54:27 AM »

Of course not, scientific theories can never be "proven" true.

The theory of evolution is more than just a "theory." The word "theory" in normal usage means a guess or a hunch. But in science, a "theory" is a belief that has been verified by actual experimentation and/or observation.

Evolution is more than a theory; it is an established fact; the earth's structures have changed and its life forms have evolved over billions of years. Species of animals have been recently observed as continuing to evolve, both in the lab and field.

I personally believe in theistic evolution.

First off, scientific theories can be proven true, as well as false - they are basically hypothesis after all.

Evolution has been proven true in some points, but not others. For instance, we're still not completely sure if we all evolved from single celled organisms. The two biggest factors in evolution are survival of the fittest and mutation. Those with the best traits will survive and breed, while those that have bad traits will die out. Sometimes species can breed into seperate species, and eventually become incompatible with eachother(which mutation may play a role in). Mutation is usually harmless and does nothing, though it can be bad(bad mutations don't normally spread because of survival of the fittest) and some can actually be beneficial. Over time a group can get enough mutations to become a new species in itself. Still, not all aspects of evolution have been proven true, though many have. Also, evolutionary theory does not discount the idea that evolution, creation of matter, or creation of original life is not the result of some higher force like a deity - it is only a theory on the mechanics.

One thing about some Creationists I find funny is that they believe we came from a single pair of humans(Adam and Eve). This is a ludicrous concept if you ask me, unless genetics somehow didn't apply back then, because a single pair of complex organisms like humans can't really do that - their offspring would be forced to inbreed, and their offspring's offspring would inbreed, causing genetic defects out the wazoo. At least that's my opinion on the matter.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies