Who I am
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:32:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who I am
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who I am  (Read 3332 times)
W in 2004
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2004, 01:41:47 PM »

I thought I would tell you a little bit about myself.  I hope others will tell us about themselves also.  I am a college student.  I work part time mowing lawns, weeding gardens, trimming bushes, spraying lawns, and removing trees and bushes.  I realized that I could make more money doing this than working somewhere else.  I try to provide my customers with high quality service.  Because I provide high quality service at a decent price, my business has taken business away from larger businesses.  I own my own equipment.  I have no employees other than myself.  The lawn service business works out well with my college schedule because the most intense part of the lawn mowing season is in the summer.  In the winter I shovel snow for some of the same customers that I provide lawn service.  I expect to take 5 to 6 years to obtain my bachelors degree.  I plan on graduating with a major in political science and a minor in business.  I am also interested in economics and history so it is really hard to be sure about the political science major.  I guess I could still change my mind.  After the death threats from 57 Opinions (formerly Richard M. Nixon), I would really rather not give out the name of the college I am attending.  I don’t want to have him and other creeps stalking the campus.  In the past I have volunteered at the office of a state senator.  I did relatively simple things like answering the phone, reading the local newspapers to see if the senator was mentioned and in what way, and making copies on the copy machine, but it was interesting just to be in the office of a senator.  Now I am working for money.

Now I will talk about some of my hobbies.  Of all my interests I probably spend the most time watching the news, reading the news, listening to the news.  I also enjoy hiking.  I have hiked a small part of the Appalachian Trail and I like hiking on other trails too.  I really enjoy swimming at the beach.  I like to read history, fiction, and car magazines.  I like to go to car shows.  I do not yet know much about older cars though.  I enjoy listening to music.  I like a variety of styles of music, but my favorites would be classical music, rock, and country.  I do not like all of the music in those styles though.

Now I will talk about my plans for the future.  I hope to work in local or state election campaigns or start my own small business.  I would like to live in Pennsylvania, Virginia, or Maine.

I hope I have not bored you to death.  I would be interested to know more about you guys.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 02:48:51 PM »

Lawn service is a great business, perfect for a college student.  I take it you aren't afflicted with allergies! Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 04:19:08 PM »

Not boring at all, seems like you live by your capitalist principles. Smiley

I guess I could say a few things about myself...I live in Sweden and attend "gymnasium", the pre-university stage in Swedish education, which, thankfully, isn't too demanding. I study social science, combined with math and languages.

I work politically, mostly for anti-EU causes, such as last year's campaign against the euro. Don't have the time or energy to join the sinking ship that is the Swedish conservatives... Tongue

I play tennis and badminton and also practice aikido. I'm now taking up going to the gym again. Otherwise, I usually try to follow the news and learn new things in my spare time, but the past months I've been way too busy hanging with friends to have much time for that...haven't read a book in ages and I keep missing important news. :S I am currently reading Catcher in the Rye by Salinger though. Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 05:43:26 PM »

I guess I could say a few things about myself...I live in Sweden and attend "gymnasium", the pre-university stage in Swedish education, which, thankfully, isn't too demanding. I study social science, combined with math and languages.

I work politically, mostly for anti-EU causes, such as last year's campaign against the euro. Don't have the time or energy to join the sinking ship that is the Swedish conservatives... Tongue

I play tennis and badminton and also practice aikido. I'm now taking up going to the gym again. Otherwise, I usually try to follow the news and learn new things in my spare time, but the past months I've been way too busy hanging with friends to have much time for that...haven't read a book in ages and I keep missing important news. :S I am currently reading Catcher in the Rye by Salinger though. Smiley

What do you have agaisnt the EU and the Euro. The only way for Europe to compete with the US politcally and economically is by coming together.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 07:23:18 PM »

What do you have agaisnt the EU and the Euro. The only way for Europe to compete with the US politcally and economically is by coming together.  

How do we compete better by "coming together"? Explain please.

And besides, I don't want us to, I'd rather have US hegemony, bad as it is, than more influence to French and German politicians. Most continental politicians are crooked opportunists I wouldn't trust with my life.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 08:07:10 PM »

You pose an interesting question, who do you want to be ruled by, Bush or Chirac.

If Europe came together, and the USA did something crooked or stupid, if Europe is well connected and allied, they could boycott US products together, etc.

Also, the EU helps with making trade easier between European countries, which will improve productivity.

Basically, the goal is to make europe powerful enough to stand up to a bullying USA.

lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 02:10:02 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2004, 02:54:50 PM by lidaker »

Most continental politicians are crooked opportunists I wouldn't trust with my life.

This anti-European, anti-EU, anti-French and anti-German campaign of yours and your party is a bit silly IMO. Europe is not something dangerous that we have to be protected from.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »

I'm from San Francisco, though I was born 30 minutes south of San Francisco in Redwood City, a few blocks away from where the Laci Peterson case is being held right now. I lived in Mexico for a year, and moved back to the city and county of San Francisco. I have been into politics since I was at least nine. I'm a high school senior. I'm technically unemployed, but have been working on fixing up my Aunt's house as a summer job. I planning on getting a job this fall. I will be retaking the SAT and the SAT II writing this fall, and hope to enter into a college in the DC area next fall. God willing, I will enter into Mount Saint Mary's College in Emmitsburg, maryland, with a good scholarship since I can't afford college. Afterwhich, I plan on going into graduate school to study East European History and languages, and hopefully will end up being a professor, work in the CIA, or work in the political arena.

My hobbies include history research, scouting, bodybuilding, politics, sports, being in the pro-life movement, computer gaming, piano, guitar, and drugs.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 03:42:39 PM »

I'm a 19-year-old Canadian from Victoria, BC currently attending the University of Victoria, hoping to have a B.Sc and then an M.Sc in Computer Science.  My dream job is to be lead programmer in a company that makes video games (my first choice would be EA Games, since I wouldn't have to move very far and I like their stuff).  During this summer I've had a number of volunteer jobs since I couldn't find a paid one.  The major one of those is creating and programming a database for one branch of an organization called The Land Conservancy of British Columbia, which buys property that either has a lot of forestry and natural wildlife or that is part of the British Columbian heritage so it won't be developed.

My major hobbies include computer programming and drawing; my major interests include computer programming, physics, mathematics, and, of course, politics.

I hope I haven't bored anyone to death either.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 03:56:39 PM »

You pose an interesting question, who do you want to be ruled by, Bush or Chirac.

If Europe came together, and the USA did something crooked or stupid, if Europe is well connected and allied, they could boycott US products together, etc.

Also, the EU helps with making trade easier between European countries, which will improve productivity.

Basically, the goal is to make europe powerful enough to stand up to a bullying USA.

[sarcasm]Yeah... you know, because we are such bullies.[/sarcasm]
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 10:43:04 PM »

This thread went down to page 4 pretty quickly. After 150+ postings I think is time to properly introduce myself.

As I wrote in the What's your age thread, I just turned 30 this year! Sad  But feel like 25! Smiley
I'm from Mexico, born in Mexico City and lived there all my life until last year. I've got my BA in Economics there, in a private university that we use to say is the equivalent of the MIT or the University of Chicago Economics Department in Mexico. Then I worked for almost six years in the Mexican Government. I arrived into Austin, TX last year to study my Masters in Public Policy and the LBJ School at University of Texas.
I've always been interested in politics and decided that I wanted to become President of Mexico when I was 8yo!. I've always been more of a "nerd" instead of a political animal. Strangely for someone who was not very good at sports and more of the intellectual, I was always liked, respected and defended by the big guys and bullies at school.
Well, part of my growing up and continual education has been to start becoming a political animal. I guess I've been pretty succesful in turning into that. I ran for President of the student council at my school this year and just lost by a few votes; it was the first time that a foreigner even attempted to run for that position. As a reward, now I'm a representative in the student government of the whole UT, which is pretty cool.
I've always considered myself sort of a political junkie, and love politics and elections everywhere. I've been following American Presidential elections pretty closely since 1988 when I was on vacation here and saw the entire Democratic Convention on TV.
Also hope I didn't bore you to death.
Oh.. my presidential campaign is under way. Hopefully I will run in 2018 or 2024.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 10:55:56 PM »

I'd like to introduce my self a bit as well:

I'm a 16 year old, Moderate Democrat from Pittsburgh, about to start my Junior year in High school. I'm described as talented, focused, and charismatic by my peers. My best school subjects were Drama II, Public Speaking, and American History. Upon graduation I have high hopes for Carnegie-Mellon University, with a major in Communications and minors in American Government and American History. I enjoy performing, especially ad-libbed performances. I've written two screenplays, and my favorite movie is "The Magnificent Seven". I'm 5'11 tall, and I'm overweight (Though not terribly). I'm class President two years, hopefully will be elected again. I have brown, wavy hair, and blue eyes, I wear glasses. When I finish college, I hope to go into an acting career.

That's a little about me. Please let me know if you'd like to join my yahoo group: presidentroleplay. It's a RPG/Government sim open to everyone. Just drop me a letter, or go to the group, and I'll set you up with a free account.

Lawrence J. Watson.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 10:56:45 PM »

PRI or PAN?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 11:02:23 PM »

What happens in that Yahoo! Group?
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 11:06:01 PM »

It's an RPG, got to www.yahoo.com

Go to Groups

Search for keyword: presidentroleplay

It's all described there, my friend. Let me know if there are any problems. I'll try to fix them.
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 11:23:55 PM »

I wish there were other alternatives to those (not the PRD). Given those choices, I definitely prefer the PRI.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 11:36:28 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2004, 11:47:52 PM by Brambila »

Pft. Viva la PAN. Vivo Cristo Rey!
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 11:54:22 PM »

Pft. Viva la PAN. Vivo Cristo Rey!

Gracious Goodness!

I could feel compelled to reply: Viva Juarez!.. but, don't intend to start a religious war in here, LOL
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2004, 12:09:31 AM »

Juarez es muy feo, y El Paso tambien... y todos los ciudades in Mexico del norte, especialmente Chihuahua... bleh.

Toluca, Acapulco, and Guadalajara are the only nice cities.
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 01:19:30 AM »

Juarez es muy feo, y El Paso tambien... y todos los ciudades in Mexico del norte, especialmente Chihuahua... bleh.

Well, I was refering to President Benito Juarez, lol. But I agree with you that border towns are not the nicest.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2004, 01:25:24 AM »

No speako Español, señor, à moins que vous vouliez être confus en français. Cheesy
M

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2004, 11:10:21 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2004, 11:11:30 PM by M »

Viva el presidente, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, por la gracia de Dios caudillo por la vida de Mexico y el sudoeste del EEUU!

Him or Maximillian, have to be the falshiest. But the two worst leaders in Mexican history also.

Actually, it's about time the PRI had a serious, non-corrupt candidate. Mexico, which is wuickly emerging as a first world post-industrial democracy, deserves a legitimate electoral choice.
M

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2004, 11:20:58 PM »

Me llamo Ruben. Me gusto mucho las zanahorias, pero los lechugas son mas bienes. No tengo mucho dinero, y todos mis calcetines son rojos. Y por esos amores de muchos colores le gustan a mi. Frederico Garcia Lorca se desaparecia en Granada a las cinco de tarde, y Salvador Dali es uno meshugenuh. Yo soy yo, Don Quixote, el hombre de la Mancha, mi destinia llama y volver volver, tu tienes mucho razon, something-or-other en el corazon, para vlver volver volver.

I've gone through Spanish 3 and I once read "Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal", and a bunch of other stuff including el realismo magico de Gabriel Garcia Marquez en "Cronico de uno Muerte Anunciada".
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2004, 11:42:31 PM »

Viva el presidente, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, por la gracia de Dios caudillo por la vida de Mexico y el sudoeste del EEUU!

Him or Maximillian, have to be the falshiest. But the two worst leaders in Mexican history also.

Actually, it's about time the PRI had a serious, non-corrupt candidate. Mexico, which is wuickly emerging as a first world post-industrial democracy, deserves a legitimate electoral choice.

Great, I see that a lot of people speak Spanish. Good luck with your courses. I want to learn both Yiddish and Hebrew, but haven't foud the time.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2004, 11:49:23 PM »

Je pense encore que le français est la meilleure langue. Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length