French Presidential Election 22 April 2007 Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 01:54:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French Presidential Election 22 April 2007 Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: French Presidential Election 22 April 2007 Thread  (Read 88372 times)
Umengus
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 07, 2007, 11:47:20 AM »

In fact, Sarkozy is at the right of Le Pen on insecurity. Interesting to see if FN voters have the same opinion.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #276 on: April 07, 2007, 11:59:32 AM »

"We want to help you get out of these suburban ghettos where French politicians have parked you . . . only to call you scum later," Mr. Le Pen said, reading from prepared remarks to a small audience of locals and two busloads of journalists.

lol.

LOL, yes he would get them out of there by deporting them. I guess that would be getting them out of the ghettos. Wink
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #277 on: April 07, 2007, 02:50:47 PM »

A question to those from the trenches:
What are Le Pen's economic policies. You Umengus say they're Reganian. Can you elaborate on that. What does he specifically propose?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #278 on: April 08, 2007, 04:28:11 AM »

all polling institutes give Le Pen at a level never polled before.

Which means one of two things; either Le Pen is doing better than he has before or that (for whatever reason) there's less shame in admitting to voting for Le Pen than there has been previously.

Impossible to respond for now (but for me, option 1). Answer 22/04.
Very probably a mix of both, actually.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #279 on: April 08, 2007, 06:18:32 AM »

What are Le Pen's economic policies. You Umengus say they're Reganian. Can you elaborate on that. What does he specifically propose?

http://www.lepen2007.fr/blog/index.php?budget

in french of course. Wink
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2007, 06:23:56 AM »

all polling institutes give Le Pen at a level never polled before.

Which means one of two things; either Le Pen is doing better than he has before or that (for whatever reason) there's less shame in admitting to voting for Le Pen than there has been previously.

Impossible to respond for now (but for me, option 1). Answer 22/04.
Very probably a mix of both, actually.

The problem is always the same for pollsters: the result of Le Pen before correction (not sure but I think that it's +- 6%) is underestimated. it's sure. Question: how to correct that? black box of course. I remember that for a same moment, a poll institute gave 17% to le Pen and another 10%. Some people say to vote for Sarkozy but in fact they will vote Le Pen. Same for bayrou. ...

For these reason, polls about le pen are too subjective. I prefer a structural analyse.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #281 on: April 08, 2007, 06:32:52 AM »

Ifop poll

05-06/04

Schivardi: 0,5%
Laguiller: 2% (=)
Besancenot: 4,5% (-0,5)
Buffet: 2,5% (+0,5)
Bové: 2% (=)

Voynet: 1,5% (=)
Royal: 22% (-1)

Bayrou: 19% (-1)
Nihous: 1,5% (=)

Sarkozy: 29,5% (+2)

De Villiers: 1% (-0,5)

Le Pen: 14% (=)

Did not say: 2% (-2)

Royal: 46% (-2)
Sarkozy: 54% (+2)

did not say: 5% (=)

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2007, 06:34:27 AM »

Bono, I seem to recall that Le Pen is protectionist to a great degree. But one has to remember that parties like the FN usually are populist, in the truest sense of the word, when it comes to economy; in other words, they'll say whatever they think maximises their chances of being elected.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #283 on: April 08, 2007, 10:06:06 AM »

Thanks. My French is very rusty--it doesn't help that I never learned it properly (French class was basically just conjugate verbs; God, how I hate the passé composé) to begin with, but I think I can scrap with reading this.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #284 on: April 08, 2007, 10:07:33 AM »

Bono, I seem to recall that Le Pen is protectionist to a great degree. But one has to remember that parties like the FN usually are populist, in the truest sense of the word, when it comes to economy; in other words, they'll say whatever they think maximises their chances of being elected.
Right, I knew he's protectionist in regards to foreign trade, but some people, like Pat Buchanan, are protectionist in regards to foreign trade yet support free market policies domestically. I'm wondering if Le Pen is one of those, ie more of a paleo-conservative, or an economic populist.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2007, 10:16:25 AM »

Thanks. My French is very rusty--it doesn't help that I never learned it properly (French class was basically just conjugate verbs; God, how I hate the passé composé) to begin with, but I think I can scrap with reading this.

Just read it. His tax policy is pretty good, but his monetary policy of "full employment" instead of inflation control is horrendous.
What does he propose regarding health care, social security, welfare and education? I seem to remember something about school vouchers...
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #286 on: April 08, 2007, 03:06:11 PM »

It seems like so far neither Sarkozy and Royal have exactly set the election alight (though Sarkozy seems to be very comparable to Thatcher or GW Bush in that people either love or hate him). I still think Sarkozy will win, but he's going to be a heck of a polarising President and will probably do France more harm than good in the long run.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #287 on: April 08, 2007, 03:09:32 PM »

It seems like so far neither Sarkozy and Royal have exactly set the election alight (though Sarkozy seems to be very comparable to Thatcher or GW Bush in that people either love or hate him). I still think Sarkozy will win, but he's going to be a heck of a polarising President and will probably do France more harm than good in the long run.

Of course, you also think Thatcher did more harm than good.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #288 on: April 09, 2007, 01:40:59 PM »

LH poll

06-07/04

Schivardi: 0,5% (+0,5)
Laguiller: 1,5% (+0,5)
Besancenot: 4% (-1)
Bové: 2% (=)
Buffet: 2,5% (-0,5)

Voynet: 2% (+1)
Royal: 24% (-2)

Bayrou: 18% (=)
Nihous: 1% (=)

Sarkozy: 28% (-1)

De Villiers: 1,5% (+0,5)

Le Pen: 15% (+2)

undecided: 47% (-6)

Royal: 48% (-1)
Sarkozy: 52% (+1)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #289 on: April 09, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »

There's a good reason the UK was an economic disaster at the end of the 1980s.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #290 on: April 09, 2007, 03:26:26 PM »

I can't believe that nearly half of the electorate is still undecided. Is this common?

Also, what is this about the campaign "officially" starting today (a little under two weeks before voting begins)?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #291 on: April 09, 2007, 03:51:04 PM »

I can't believe that nearly half of the electorate is still undecided. Is this common?

They aren't truely undecided. France has a long tradition of people abstaining from mentioning their preference in an election to pollsters. That's why you always see such large numbers who abstained from answering the question. It seems that in this poll they included those who did state that they were undecided.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #292 on: April 10, 2007, 01:22:27 AM »

First Round in 12 days.

My familiy is voting at the embassy in Riyadh.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2007, 07:25:57 PM »

First Round in 12 days.

My familiy is voting at the embassy in Riyadh.

Did you live in France before moving to Saudi Arabia?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #294 on: April 10, 2007, 07:32:25 PM »

They aren't truely undecided. France has a long tradition of people abstaining from mentioning their preference in an election to pollsters. That's why you always see such large numbers who abstained from answering the question. It seems that in this poll they included those who did state that they were undecided.

As opposed to the American tradition, which is hanging up the phone on instinct. Did that for 2 probing "Newt Gingrich for President" phone calls I received last year. Cheesy

Question. Based upon the French election system, if Bayrou makes the second round, the smart money says he pretty much has the election won right? Cause if he made the second round with Sarkozy, then all the Royal voters would vote Bayrou over Sarkozy right? (And vice versa, Sarkozy voters would rather have Bayrou over Royal).
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #295 on: April 10, 2007, 11:29:22 PM »

And your UK party is the biggest political joke since..... well since something that happened along time ago....
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2007, 08:59:52 AM »

And your UK party is the biggest political joke since..... well since something that happened along time ago....

I don't see why the Liberal Democrats are a joke. Just because they're a third party? Or is it because they're a relatively successful third party? Or because you're just trolling?
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #297 on: April 11, 2007, 10:42:18 AM »

Also, what is this about the campaign "officially" starting today (a little under two weeks before voting begins)?

there are 12 candidates. and you can easily hesitate between Besancenot or Laguiller, Bayrou or Royal,...

I don't think that this level of undecision was so high for the referendum in 2005 but there were only 2 options...
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #298 on: April 11, 2007, 10:44:41 AM »

The bva pollster has said today that in april 2002, the result of the last bva poll of le pen without correction was 6,9%. Today, 2 weeks begore the election, his result is 6%.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #299 on: April 11, 2007, 11:14:58 PM »

16 you mean?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies