2016: The Ultimate Election - Concession or not?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 05:33:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016: The Ultimate Election - Concession or not?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: 2016: The Ultimate Election - Concession or not?  (Read 29087 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »

Dang. I was hoping Rubio could help Christie in the South-West with hispanics, but I guess that Schweitzer is pretty much maxing out the Dems in the West. Also, I'm surprised that it's easier for a Republican to take Pennsylvania than Indiana.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2011, 09:59:50 PM »

Midnight here in the East, and we have a BIG projection to make. The state of Michigan...goes for Governor Christie. Chris Christie wins Michigan, which pushes his electoral total up to 239 votes. Let's head to Carl Cameron at Christie Campaign Headquarters with reaction.

Carl Cameron: Well Bret as you can hear behind me there is total jubilation here in Princeton. Michigan was a state that Christie worked hard for and Republicans, atleast some of them say that he earned it. This is a total victory as Governor Schweitzer has been and is obviously very competitive in the rust belt, of course he has already won Wisconsin and Minnesota, but the Christie campaign is very confident that if they can pull in a few of those eight remaining too close to call states along with the 3 electoral votes from Alaska, that they will be on their way to victory tonight. I should add the temperature continues to drop, there is expectation of snow on the way, but that isn't killing the spirit here at Christie/Rubio Headquarters at all, Bret.

Bret Baier: Carl, thank you. We're going to make another projection...the state of Oregon will go for Brian Schweitzer. Schweitzer wins Oregon, putting his electoral vote total up to 221.

Christie: 239
Schweitzer: 221
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2011, 10:17:15 PM »

It's 12:55am and we're making a call...a big call...Governor Schweitzer wins Ohio...and grabs the 18 electoral votes from that state.

Bill Kristol: No Republican has ever won the White House without Ohio. Case in point, Mitt Romney four years ago.

Nina Easton: I couldn't agree more. That is a big, big, big win for Brian Schweitzer. Now the pressure is on Chris Christie in Missouri and North Carolina. We know he will get Alaska's 3 electoral votes, that will only bring him up to 242 when 1am rolls around unless he delivers in the very close battleground states.

Bret Baier: Look at that map. 239 to 239. It's nearly 1am and we have absolutely no idea who the next President of the United States will be.

Christie: 239
Schweitzer: 239

Bill Kristol: Bret, look at Nevada...trending Schweitzer, Colorado...trending Schweitzer. Needless to say, there has to be some serious nervousness growing in the Christie campaign right about now.

Juan Williams: No question about it, but also in West Virginia, we have almost all of the vote in, Schweitzer is leading by just 2,500 votes. I mean, when we say close, it literally can't get closer than this.

Bret Baier: We're about to make a projection in the final state to close it's polls, Alaska goes for Chris Christie. He again, slips slightly ahead of Governor Brian Schweitzer. We're also going to project that Governor Christie will win the final electoral vote counted in Maine, where they of course divid their electoral votes by Congressional District.

Bill Kristol: Now that shows the-

Bret Baier: I've got to interrupt you, Bill. Fox News projects Governor Chris Christie will win the state of North Carolina. 15 electoral votes...went for Mitt Romney four years ago...went for President Obama eight years ago...tonight in the end, North Carolina goes for Christie.

Christie: 258
Schweitzer: 239

Bill Kristol: This does nothing to downplay Schweitzer's win in Ohio, because if we had just called Ohio for Christie instead of Schweitzer...he'd be elected President. Instead, he takes a lead again but this back and forth continues.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »

At 1:55am Eastern Time on this morning after election night, we can project that Governor Schweitzer will win Nevada and it's 6 electoral votes.

Juan Williams: Very significant. It's all about the West. Christie dominated the east from North Carolina to Maine, Schweitzer is dominating the west. 

Bret Baier: That's an interesting point, Juan. To add evidence to that, Fox News is also ready to project Governor Brian Schweitzer the winner in the state of Colorado. That is a state with 9 crutial electoral votes, or atleast electoral votes that could prove to be cruital in a race this close...we project it for Schweitzer. We're also ready to call West Virginia, narrowly, very narrowly, for Brian Schweitzer. It's the first time tonight that Brian Schweitzer has led in the electoral vote count.

Schweitzer: 259
Christie: 258

Charles Krauthammer: The popular vote is extremely close too, Bret.

Bret Baier: That's a good point, let's bring up the nationwide popular vote...

88% of Precincts Reporting

Schweitzer: 55,306,235
Christie: 55,067,892

Bret Baier: Look at that. Just look at how close.

Juan Williams: Good grief.

Bill Kristol: That is...250,000 votes out about 111 million.

Bret Baier: Speaking of that, it looks like record turnout, does it not?

Charles Krauthammer: Oh without a doubt, remember how long this election has been upon the American public. From Biden and Clinton and Cuomo and Rubio and Huckabee and Bush. In many ways, it is amazing to see how that sensational primary campaign evolved into 2am on the morning after Election Day with both candidates essentially tied in both the electoral and popular votes.

Bill Kristol: It's absolutely stunning.

Bret Baier: Once again, you're watching election night coverage. We're coming up on 2am Eastern Time and this could be the hour of decision.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2011, 11:22:55 PM »

So if Christie doesn't win both Missouri and Indiana, he loses. And Schweitzer just needs Indiana.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2011, 11:29:31 PM »

So if Christie doesn't win both Missouri and Indiana, he loses. And Schweitzer just needs Indiana.

That is correct. I hope I'm keeping people on edge.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2011, 11:45:26 PM »

If Christie wins Indiana and Schweitzer wins Missouri, it goes to the House, no? Who has the majority there? 

Also, thank you for giving Indiiana a role Smiley
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »

At 2:13am, we can project the state of Missouri will reward 10 electoral votes...to Governor Chris Christie.

Bret Baier: The electoral map as it stands, Christie is just two votes away from the Presidency.

Charles Krauthammer: Well, technically one vote if you count a tie that would go to the Republican House.

Nina Easton: Yeah but now a tie is no longer possible.

Bret Baier: It could be said, this is as close as you can get without being a tie.

Christie: 268

Bill Kristol: It all comes down to Indiana.

Bret Baier: Yeah, let's look at Indiana. With all the swing states and too close to call states tonight, Indiana hasn't been mentioned as much as it should have been.

Nina Easton: No doubt, now it will be deciding the election.

INDIANA
98% of precincts reporting

CHRISTIE: 1,410,360
SCHWEITZER: 1,401,465

Bret Baier: With 99% of precincts in Indiana reporting, you can see Governor Christie leading by just under 9,000 votes.

Juan Williams: Now you're in recount territory.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2011, 12:50:42 AM »

Bret Baier: Let's get some reaction now from the Schweitzer campaign, Fox News' own Molly Henneberg is in Billings, Montana. Molly, what's the mood there?

Molly Henneberg: Bret, the mood could not be more nervously anxious. The Schweitzer campaign believes they delivered strongly in the West, winning Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada and Montana and they won Ohio which many had thought might go for Governor Christie. But Indiana was always an interesting one, in that Governor Schweitzer never led in polls after the Republican Convention but then began to come back in the final week and the last Indiana poll showed Christie winning 49% to Schweitzer's 47%. Of course, it's the voters that make the difference and tonight they have and we are waiting to see what it is that they said.

Bret Baier: Thank you, Molly. Now let's head to Christie Headquarters in Princeton, New Jersey with Fox News' Campaign Carl Cameron. Carl?

Carl Cameron: Bret, I have never seen the Christie campaign more nervous then they are right now. Many worried faces, biting lips, nail-biting going on...they believe that Christie's lead in Indiana will allow a narrow victory, thus the Presidency, but once again we've seen recounts and courtroom battles in the past and no doubt that is something both sides are dreading right now.

Bret Baier: Carl, any reaction from the Governor?

Carl Cameron: None what-so-ever, Bret. I should tell you, we were standing here at the rally setup outside Drumthwacket where a large podium is set for what the campaign hopes will be a victory speech, but the wind is increasing and the temperature is down to 20 degrees. Snow is predicted overnight, and it's already after two in the morning, so no doubt many people are cold, nervous and at the same time, optimistic.

Bret Baier: There is a question to be asked, as we await the very last of the precincts in Indiana. Will either man have any sort of a mandate coming into office?

Bill Kristol: No way. Absolutely not. Christie, if he wins, will be wishing he had carried Ohio and Wisconsin and Nevada and a slew of other states because then at the very least, his electoral vote count would have been large. If he wins by just scraping past the finish line and possibly even losing the popular vote if Schweitzer continues to lead in it, then he will have nothing close to a mandate. The same is absolutely true for Brian Schweitzer. If he wins Indiana, he will have been elected President by winning blue dog Democrats, traditionally Republican voters and some independents. The liberal minority in the Congress will be trying to force through an agenda that even Barack Obama didn't satisfy during his two-terms and Brian Schweitzer just isn't that type of politician. He ran a grassroots campaign that rose from being Former Governor of Montana to now being on the grasp of being President of the United States.

Bret Baier: We now have new results in from Indiana...if we can show those..

INDIANA
99% of precincts reporting

CHRISTIE: 1,421,104
SCHWEITZER: 1,409,434

Nina Easton: That's only 11,670 votes. Under 12,000 votes...out of roughly 3 million voters. Can we project that?

Bret Baier: That's exactly what I'm waiting to hear in my earpiece.

Bill Kristol: Is it-

Bret Baier: Yes, we are going to call the state for Christie.

Nina Easton: That does it.

Bret Baier: That gives Governor Christie 279 electoral votes, and Chris Christie is the President-elect of the United States of America.

CHRISTIE
ELECTED
PRESIDENT

Christie: 279

CHRIS CHRISTIE
  45th PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2011, 06:40:18 AM »

Noooo! As a traditionalist, I can't abide the thought of a Republican winning without Ohio!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2011, 06:46:56 AM »

Great results!
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2011, 06:51:30 AM »

Noooo! As a traditionalist, I can't abide the thought of a Republican winning without Ohio!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2011, 09:58:21 AM »

Great job! Smiley

One little nitpick in Indiana...East Chicago is always the last place to report, so typically the Democrat gains with the last few precincts, not fall further behind. I like the results, though!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »

Bret Baier: Let's get reaction to this from Carl Cameron in Princeton, New Jersey.

Carl Cameron: Well Bret, I don't know if you could hear me. The cold and nervous faces here in Princeton have absolutely erupted into cheers with the knowledge that Christie has won the election. This is a crowd that has been through roller coasters up and down all evening with the news of Christie's early wins in the East, then nervousness and anxiety over Schweitzer's strong performance out west. Of course this is man that many political pundits has seen as possible Presidential material just a few short years ago after he defeated Governor Jon Corzine, was re-elected Governor and then began a serious, strong bid for the Republican nomination. Through it all, Chris Christie stood film, he never backed down when he was pushed against a wall, and tonight the American people have chosen him as the next President of the United States, Bret.

Bret Baier: Carl, thank you. Let's check in with Molly Henneberg with reaction from the Schweitzer campaign in Billings, Montana, Molly?

Molly Henneberg: Bret, there were many sad faces in the crowd in the large rally room where they have had projections of Christie winning the Presidency, many people very disappointed, but still the margin in Indiana is so close that some still see a potential glimmer of hope although that seems unlikely at this point.

Bret Baier: Molly, when you say glimmer of hope, do you mean some sort of a recount in the state of Indiana?

Molly Henneberg: Well I spoke to one top Schweitzer aide with the latest numbers from the Secretary of State of Indiana who shows Christie's margin down from 12,000 to 7,000. No doubt, a very, very close result.

Bret Baier: Let's check in with Michael Barone who has been watching these returns, Michael...we're obviously projecting that Chris Christie is going to be the next President of the United States. Any idea what these close votes in Indiana that we're hearing from top Schweitzer aides may entail?

Michael Barone: Well the very, very last precincts to report come from East Chicago, which is good territory for Schweitzer which is why you see the tightening now.

INDIANA
99% of precincts reporting

CHRISTIE: 1,421,804
SCHWEITZER: 1,415,434

Bret Baier: That's a margin of only...

Bill Kristol: 6,370 votes.

Bret Baier: Out of just under 3 million.

Michael Barone: That's correct, Bret. But we believe with the precincts reporting that it is still safe enough for project for Christie. We don't foresee any way these results would switch a lead to Governor Schweitzer, atleast not at this point.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »

Well it's 3am Eastern Time here at Fox News Election Headquarters. Chris Christie is going to be the 45th President of the United States, he defeated Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana tonight, no word yet of any concession statement from Governor Schweitzer. Let's head over to the Schweitzer campaign headquarters in Billings, Molly Henneberg.

Molly Henneberg: Some news to report, we have just learned that Governor Schweitzer and his wife have left their hotel and our now in a motorcade headed to this event. No word yet of any types of phone calls between Governor Schweitzer and Governor Christie, but we've been told Schweitzer is on his way here.

Bret Baier: Well that would certainly sound somewhat like he would be on his way to deliver a concession speech, would it not?

Molly Henneberg: All I can tell you at this time, Bret is that Governor Schweitzer is on-route here.

Bret Baier: Thanks, Molly Henneberg. Carl Cameron, anything to report from Princeton?

Carl Cameron: I can confirm to you, Bret that a top adviser to Governor Christie's campaign said that Governor Schweitzer called Chris Christie about five minutes ago. What we know is that Governor Christie told Governor Schweitzer, "You've ran one hell of a race, Governor" and then was heard saying, "Thank you, thank you very much". Now that conversation is only from what we heard Governor Christie saying, but obviously, it would imply a concession from Governor Schweitzer.

Bret Baier: Well wait, we do have the latest headline from the associated press...

AP: SCHWEITZER PHONES CHRISTIE TO CONCEDE U.S. ELECTION

Carl Cameron: Yeah that seems about right, so what I'd guess is the plan now is for a concession speech from Governor Schweitzer, then a very cold and windy victory speech here in Princeton, New Jersey from the victorious Chris Christie, Bret.

Bret Baier: Molly Henneberg has some news from Billings, Molly.

Molly Henneberg: Bret, I have learned from a top Schweitzer aide that Governor Schweitzer called Governor Christie right after some of the networks projected Indiana for Christie. However, it appears that the call was NOT a direct concession. Governor Schweitzer was said to have told Christie, "If the trends continue, it appears that you have won. Right now we are waiting on further trends from Indiana." Now, one can interpret that as a concession, on the other hand, one can also make the case that the race is not over, not just yet, anyways.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2011, 10:14:02 PM by Reaganfan »

Bret Baier: Let's get some insight on this, Juan Williams, what do you believe is going on right now in the campaigns?

Juan Williams: I believe that Indiana is so extremely close, that Governor Schweitzer is awaiting to see if there might be, and I stress might, be some sort of a recount in that state. The latest margin shows some 6,000 votes giving Governor Christie the state, but sometimes the more predominantly Democratic precincts take a little longer to come in, and if Schweitzer has a good showing in one final precinct, that could tighten or even overturn Christie's lead.

Bret Baier: How likely is that in your opinion?

Juan Williams: Not too likely, only because of the notion that Governor Christie has the edge, and obviously the Christie campaign is declaring victory, as is Fox News and all other networks, so right now I would say I expect a Nixon-like statement.

Bret Baier: As in the 1960 election?

Juan Williams: Yes.

Charles Krauthammer: Yeah, remember in 1960 Nixon came out and said it appeared Kennedy had won, but they were just going to wait for further results and then he sent a notice to Kennedy officially conceding. I have a feeling that's the general thinking right now on the part of both campaigns.

Bret Baier: Once again if you are just tuning in, Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey is going to be the next President of the United States, with 279 electoral votes, he goes over the threshold needed for victory. Looking at the electoral map, how did Christie put it together? Bill Kristol?

Bill Kristol: Pennsylvania? New Jersey? Florida? (laughs) I mean, one state less and it would have been Schweitzer. I think, in the end, it was a situation we've seen time and time again of one party in power for eight years then the other party coming in. We saw it in 2000, we saw it in 2008 and we saw it again tonight.

Juan Williams: Remember too, Schweitzer's campaign had set it's sights on winning Ohio. They won it. Winning West Virginia. They won it. Kentucky, Colorado, New Mexico where Rubio had hoped to draw Hispanics to Christie...Schweitzer won those states as well. He also kept Christie from pulling in Oregon or Illinois where Christie looked this Summer to be competitive. But keep in mind, Christie had a slight edge in polling throughout the entire election but in general, Schweitzer kept true to his word. He won Montana largely, he won Arizona, he won Wisconsin and Minnesota. He ran a very strong campaign.

Bret Baier: Indeed it is a very different electoral map than we have seen in recent history. Democrats winning Ohio and Kentucky and West Virginia, Republicans winning Maine and New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Is this the new map for future elections?

Nina Easton: I doubt it. I really do. Christie had the Northeast sewn up because he was from New Jersey, he became very popular there, especially in the last four years, and that carried over to Pennsylvania although that was very close, something like 50-48 for Christie. He was able to draw conservatives out in droves, holding on to states like North Carolina and Missouri, and Rubio helped no doubt in places like Florida although Florida has been trending right for a decade now, and Virginia was much more Christie territory than say, Kentucky or Iowa.

Bret Baier: Now what about Michigan? It was won tonight by Chris Christie, looks like a 50,000 vote margin, how did he do it?

Juan Williams: I think a lot of liberal stayed home, to be perfectly honest. I mean, if Joe Biden was the Democratic nominee tonight, I have a feeling Michigan would go for him, Pennsylvania very likely, Florida was very friendly towards Biden in the primary campaign, but also...Biden wouldn't have won Arizona or Colorado or Montana or Kentucky and West Virginia, so it could have been just as close in a Biden vs. Christie race.

Bret Baier: Was there one event that decided this election?

Bill Kristol: No way. The debates were all draws. Manchin and Rubio were both very, very strong running mates. Both appealed to the voters in the states that mattered, see West Virginia and Florida as evidence of that. Christie lead Schweitzer by what was usually a 48-46 margin in polls, which is about right. My guess is that undecideds broke even, and the map just fell into Christie's favor.

Bret Baier: Let's take a look at the nationwide popular vote. With 97% of precincts reporting:

97% of Precincts Reporting

Schweitzer: 66,206,855
Christie: 66,167,643

Bret Baier: Schweitzer is ahead by 39,000 or so votes. Incredible.

Juan Williams: Yeah, that's the closest popular vote in history.

Bret Baier: Ever?

Juan Williams: Not the closest ever, but close. Gore won the popular vote 16 years ago by 500,000 and some odd votes, Kennedy won the popular vote over Nixon with 112,000 votes...if Schweitzer wins the popular vote, it will be by 30,000 or so votes...one of the closest ever.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2011, 03:20:08 PM »

The closest election ever was 1880 Wink. (in terms of raw PV: 2000 votes)
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2011, 04:38:44 PM »

Biden'd be too old. Gillibrand would never run if Hillary was in it. Maybe Cuomo. Definite Schweitzer run. And somebody else...

Clinton-?

Huckabee missed the boat this time 'round so... nah. Chirstie-Rubio'd be in it to win it. I see them as the ticket. Or maybe Jindal for VP. Rubio's Hispanic background would probably help out more in the Southwest. However, it's been a while since a fat guy headed up a ticket and would be the first time Republicans nominated a Catholic, never mind a fully Catholic ticket.

Christie-Rubio?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »

How is Indiana that close in the first place? Indiana would be 55-60 for Christie. Also remember Indiana is Tea Party country.  Although I agree with some that Rand should've ran. As for having Mitt being the 2012 nominee followed by the NJ governor, I'm sorry I say this but if Mitt loses, a conservative firebrand (Rubio,Pence,Haley,Rand Paul) would get the nod. Conservatives will not accept playing second fiddle to the establishment moderates (Bush 41 and 43, Dole McCain, Romney, and Christie).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies