Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:26:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold  (Read 27845 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2010, 01:20:37 PM »

Since I'm entitled to my opinions, your writing ability is declining, Tom. As much as were my criticism toward substance of your previous entries, they were actually well-written and longer. 

PolCon, I thought you were putting me on ignore.  But, I have to agree with you somewhat, and must admit, I have been encountering a bit of a writer's block of late.  I have had a lot of things going in my life lately.

Therefore, I shall be moving into the election returns phase of this story shortly, I hope within the next day or two.

I was going to, but I decided against.

My friendly advice: when you have writer's bloc, don't force yourself to write and post at all costs. Who said you need to update it now?

Seconded.

This is good, Winfield - but if you ever feel like you're pushing yourself to write an update, it's better just to put it on ice until you've got the drive.

Exactly, this thread is not going anywhere and a lot of writers have breaks/hiatus before updating. Ben is serious offender in this regard Wink   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments.

I am hoping that I can make election night interesting.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2010, 09:51:44 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN.

Good evening to those who have just joined us for this, election night, 1996.  I'm Bernard Shaw, CNN News Anchor.  

The polls have just closed on the east coast, and we have some stunning results to report.

We go first to New England, and based on exit polling and our scientific analysis, CNN is ready to call Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont for Senator Rockefeller.

Peter, what do you make of Rockefeller's sweep of the entire upper New England region?

Well, Bernie, Senator Rockefeller was born in Maine, and that is his second home state if you will.  New Hampshire, well, it has strong Reublican roots, and Vermont, though strong for Clinton in 1992, likes Rockefeller's brand of Republicanism.  

CNN is calling Massachusetts and Rhode Island for President Clinton.  

Yes, no big surprise here, two of the most Democratic states in the entire country.

CNN is now ready to project that Connecticut will go to Senator Rockefeller.

This is certainly a blow to the the Clinton campaign, as they were expecting a win here.  But I suppose in what can be called an upset, Rockefeller takes Connecticut.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2010, 08:22:03 PM »

The electoral map at this hour

Rockefeller                19
Clinton                     16             

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2010, 08:28:49 PM »

Taking a look at the popular vote, the raw numbers, we are showing the two major candidates running very close to one another.

Alex, what do you make of the results so far?

Bernie, based on information I am getting from across the country, exit polling and expert analyses, we are in for a very long night.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2010, 08:58:50 PM »

CNN is calling DC for President Clinton, by a comfortable, though not overwhelming margin. 

No surprise here that Clinton takes DC, although Senator Rockefeller did make the best showing in DC of any Republican candidate in history, since DC was casting votes for President.  Most certainly the very public endorsement of Senator Rockefeller by Coretta Scott King played a major role in this result.

More results are rolling in fast and furious, and CNN is ready to make some more calls.

We have a major call.  New Jersey goes to Senator Rockefeller. 

Yes, Rockefeller and Clinton have really been battling toe to toe in this important electoral state.  Rockefeller takes it by a narrow margin, but by a margin beyond the point of disputing the outcome in the state.  New Jersey being right next door to Rockefeller's home state of New York may have helped push Rockefeller over the top here.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »

We are prepared as well to call Delaware for Senator Rockefeller. 

Yes, some would say that Rockefeller has turned the electoral map on it's ear.  Some truly remarkable results here tonight.

Maryland goes to President Clinton. 

Yes, a state with a solid Democratic voting pattern. 

Moving further south now, we are calling Virginia for Senator Rockefeller. 

Yes, Bernie, popular Senator John Warner campaigned tirelessly for Rockefeller in his home state of Virginia, and it would appear that all his hard work has paid off, with Rockefeller winning Virginia's coveted 13 electoral votes. 

We are now ready to call North Carolina, the home state of Rockefeller's Vice Presidential running mate, Elizabeth Dole, for Senator Rockefeller.

Bernie, although Senator Rockefeller does not have mass appeal to North Carolina voters, exit polling is showing that voters picked Rockefeller because he had Liddy Dole on the ticket, at least enough voters to tip the state to Rockefeller.  Liddy Dole is an extremely popular public figure in North Carolina.  She no doubt made the difference here Bernie.  Rockefeller owes her big time, and as well John Warner in Virginia.     
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »

Keep it coming!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »

We are getting substantial returns in from the southern states, enough for us to make some calls.  These results are truly remarkable.

We are ready to call the following states all for President Clinton, his home state of Arkansas, with Clinton projected to win by a substantial margin, Tennessee, home state of Vice President Al Gore, again by a healthy margin, West Virginia, Kentucky.

We are as well calling these deep south states for President Clinton, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana.

Yes Bernie, this is truly a remarkable result.  For any Democrat to virtually sweep the south, this would be the first time this has happened in the past 20 years, when southerner Jimmy Carter virtually swept the south in 1976. 

Bernie, looking at the electoral map, you know, it almost looks like many of the elections from the early 1900s through the 1920s when the Republicans dominated the northeast and the Democrats could depend on the reliably solid south.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2010, 09:47:58 PM »

Clinton                      105
Rockefeller                  64

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »

Looks like you succesfully and quickly dealed with writers block.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2010, 10:25:14 PM »

Welcome to those who have just joined us.

At this hour, President Clinton leads in the electoral vote 105 to 64 for Senator Rockefeller.

CNN now has enough returns and scientific polling data to relaibly make the following very important and crucial projections.

We are projecting that Senator Benson Rockefeller will carry his home state of New York and it's big prize of 33 very important electoral votes.  We are also prepared to project that President Clinton will carry the very crucial state of Florida and it's substantial 25 electoral votes.

We now take you live to the Rockefeller election night headquarters in Manhattan and our reporter Susan Blackwell.

Sue, what is it like at this moment at Rockefeller Central?

Bernie, I can barely hear you above the cheering, clapping, and pandemonium here at the Rockefeller headquarters, but I believe you asked what is going on here now.  Bernie, when it flashed across the screens, from all the networks, that Rockefeller had indeed won his home state of New York, this place exploded in what seemed like a spontaneous frenzy of cheering, clapping, hollering, hugging, back slapping, high fives, singing, and people doing celebration dances.  I've never seen anything like it Bernie.  They are still going full tilt.  Witnessing this event, one would almost think that Rockefeller had won the election.  Bernie.

Thank you Susan.  I hope you still have your hearing after being on the floor during that celebration.       

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »

We are now going live to President Clinton's campaign headquarters, and our reporter Mark Halliday.

Mark, how did the people there react when Florida was called for the President?

Bernie, they certainly celebrated, but not to the extent that I saw on the screen at the Rockefeller headquarters when New York was called for Rockefeller.  Let me say that the people here tonight are certainly extremely gratified that they carried the very important state of Florida.  Bernie.

Thanks Mark. 

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2010, 11:03:54 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2010, 12:32:49 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Peter, your thoughts on these two results?

Bernie, very significant.

Even though New York has a history of voting Democratic in Presidential elections, it can't be entirely surprising that Rockefeller won his home state of New York.  After all, he was a very popular two term Governor there before entering the United States Senate.  As Governor, he signifiantly reduced the crime rate in the state, got hundreds of thousands off the welfare rolls and into job training programs resulting in an additional hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers now meaningfully employed, and therefore paying taxes, resulting in more state income for state programs and to pay down debt.

For Clinton winning Florida, it was an extremely important win.  In an election this close, as all the pre election polls were showing, Florida is one of the truly most significant states in what can be classified as the swing states.  Rockefeller and Dole campaigned hard in Florida, and the Clinton win must be most gratifying for the President.  I believe Clinton needs Florida to win the election, and he's won it Bernie.

Peter, can you elaborate on the controversial ads, in the minds of some, that the Rockefeller campaign ran in Florida during the campaign?

Yes Bernie.  The Rockefeller campaign ran ads showing Senator and Mrs. Rockefeller, along with two Jewish Rabbis and two Catholic Cardinals, visiting Auschwitz.  These ads were ran especially in the heavily Jewish areas of the state in the closing weeks of the campaign, obviously with the intent of winning over traditionally Democratic Jewish voters.  It may have had some effect, as exit polling data shows that Rockefeller did fairly well among Florida's traditionally Democratic Jewish voters, although not well enough to swing the state over to him.  Many labelled these ads as opportunistic and cynical, but others believed they showed Rockefeller's commitment to human rights.

Thank you Peter.            
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »

Clinton                    130
Rockefeller                97

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2010, 12:15:40 AM »

Alex, can you clarify for our viewers the numbers behind the Rockefeller win in New York?

Yes Bernie.  Although Rockefeller polled behind Clinton in New York City, he polled better in this area than any Republican since Nixon in 1972.  But what really put the state into the Rockefeller column was his massive support in the suburbs and in upstate New York.  Rockefeller ran massively ahead of Clinton in upstate New York in this election. 

Rockefeller polled extremely well in the state amongst all demographic groups.  He even polled reasonably well among registered Democrats.  New Yorkers all across the state appeared to be showing their support for their native son in his run for the Presidency.

Clearly, New Yorkers, from all walks of life and from all political persuasions, would like to see a fellow New Yorker in the Oval Office.

That's it in a nutshell Bernie.

Thank you Alex.     
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »

CNN is ready to make a major call, Pennsylvania will go for Senator Rockefeller. 

Peter, your thoughts on this call.

Bernie, Clinton and Rockefeller have been battling it out in this state all night.  The lead has been changing hands several times.  It took longer for us to call this state than it did to call New York.  But with a heavy turnout in the southeastern counties, this gives the state to Rockefeller.  Voters in Pennsylvania seem to like the Rockefeller approach to government.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2010, 10:18:54 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2010, 10:24:54 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Yes, what's that?  Reporters are being permitted into the Rockefeller hotel suite in Manhattan?  

We now take you live to Senator Rockefeller's hotel suite in Manhattan, where reporters are being allowed in for a few minutes, and to CNN correspondent Ty Lawson.

Senator Rockefeller, how are you feeling about the results so far?

Very good.

Senator, are you disappointed that you didn't make a better showing in the south?

I never question the decision of the voters.  Free votes are the essence of democracy.

I understand from media reports that this election is expected to result in a record turnout of any Presidential election in the history of this nation.  I congratulate the American people for turning out in such great numbers, and hope they will continue to do so until their polls have closed.  I thank them for their participation, whether they voted for me, for President Clinton, for Mr. Perot, for Mr. Nader, or for any of the other candidates.

This is a great day for democracy.

Thank you Senator.

Thank you all for coming.        
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »

Ty, Bernie here.

Hi Bernie.

Can you describe for our viewers the atmosphere and the mood in the Rockefeller suite during the short time the media was allowed in?

Yes Bernie.  Senator Rockefeller and his family, I believe all his immediate family were there, with the exception of course of their young grandchildren, but the entire family was relaxed, smiling, and the mood was upbeat when we were there, and they were very friendly and welcoming.   

You noticed of course that Coretta Scott King was there sitting beside Diane Rockefeller.  She seemed to be enjoying the evening.

Thank you Ty.  A most interesting event for election night '96.

Indeed Bernie.     
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2010, 11:04:39 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2010, 11:08:34 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

We now turn our attention to the midwest, where the polls are just closing.

Peter, what should we be looking for as we move into the midwestern states?

Bernie, I am not exaggerating when I state that the midwest is auguably the most crucial region for the candidates in this election.  

Polls have shown that Ohio is likely to go to Rockefeller.  Ohio does have a history of siding with Republican Presidential candidates, and the GOP nominee has traditionally done well in this state.  Pre election polling has shown Rockefeller consistently leading in this state, and I would be very surprised if Senator Rockefeller does not take Ohio.

As with Ohio for the GOP, Illinois is expected to be a good state for President Clinton tonight.  Pre election polls have consistently shown Clinton running ahead in this state, and I see no reason why he would not come out on top tonight in Illinois.

Minnesota has a good history in Presidential elections for the Democrats.  
Based on the data I have seen, I believe this will continue tonight.

In Indiana, this state has a strong history favoring the Republicans in Presidential elections, and it looks like it will be a good state for Rockefeller tonight.

The rest of the midwest, Bernie, is simply unpredictable in this election.  Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri.  These states have all been considered to be in the swing state category throughout this campaign.  Clinton and Rockefeller have gone toe to toe in these states, with both parties pulling out all the stops, and spending big money in these states.  Al Gore and Liddy Dole have invested considerable time as well in these states during the campaign.

These states could well be do or die for both candidates.

Thank you for that insight Peter.      
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »

CNN is prepared to make the following calls from the midwestern states.

Ohio goes to Senator Rockefeller.

Illinois goes to President Clinton.

Indiana goes to Senator Rockefeller.

Minnesota goes to President Clinton.

Peter, any thoughts?

Bernie, these four states went along according to plan.  Any other result in these states would have had to have been considered to be an upset.  I am sure both camps are pleased that they have carried the midwestern states they were expected to carry.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »

Clinton                  162
Rockefeller             153

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »

CNN is now prepared to make the following calls, and they are definitely good news for Senator Rockefeller.

We are now ready to call Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa for Senator Rockefeller. 

We are calling Missouri for President Clinton.

Peter, what is going on here?

Bernie, right from the beginning of this campaign, and in fact before that, the Rockefeller campaign targeted the midwest, and invested a tremendous amount of time and money in this region.  Rockefeller promised help for manufacturing, for farming, for industry.  People liked what he said.  The Rockefeller wins in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa were not large wins, they were close, but his margin in all three of these states is big enough to be beyond doubt. 

Thanks Peter.

We now take you live to the Rockefeller headquarters in Manhattan.

Sue, what's going on there now.  I can well imagine after these results.

That's right Bernie.  This place has, again, gone absolutely wild with excitement, the way they did when Rockefeller was declared the winner in New York.  I can barely hear myself think.  What a wild scene.  These people have got to be the most enthusiastic and boistrous crowd I have seen at a political gathering in a long, long time.  Bernie.

Thanks Sue.           

We now go live to Clinton election night headquarters.  Mark, what's happening there now with these latest results just announced? 

Bernie, let me say, without being overly dramatic, the people here are almost in a state of shock and disbelief.  They were, frankly, expecting Michigan, and possibly Wisconsin, to go their way.  These results just announced have certainly put a damper on the festivities here.  They are still reeling, I think, from the fact that Rockefeller has carried so many of the states that have traditionally sided with the Democrats in Presidential elections, though they are pleased with Clinton's strong showing in the south.  Bernie.

Thanks Mark.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »

Rockefeller                     189
Clinton                          173 

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2010, 11:01:13 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2010, 12:04:06 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Peter, Alex, at this point in time, just how does the path to the Presidency look for both of the candidates?

Bernie, although it would appear at this point in the evening that the momentum is with Rockefeller, following his stunning performance in the midwest, both candidates do in fact have about an equal chance of victory.  

Yes, I would agree.  We are about to be moving into the plains, mountain, southwest, and western regions.  I would have to give Rockefeller the edge in the plains and mountain regions.  These states have, for the most part of late, been strongly Republican in Presidential elections.  Both of the candidates have strength in the southwest, while in the western region, Clinton should be the stronger candidate, although Rockefeller and Dole have certainly invested a great deal of time and the campaign has poured a very large sum of money into the western states in the campaign.  

Yes, I believe this election is going down to the wire Bernie.

Thank you Peter, Alex.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies