Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:21:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold  (Read 27841 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2010, 09:26:25 PM »

Welcome back to CNN coverage of Election '96.  I'm Bernard Shaw, CNN News Anchor.

At this hour, the electoral vote count stands at 189 for Senator Rockefeller and 173 for President Clinton.  270 electoral votes are needed to win.  And I can tell you now, we are nowhere close to being able to declare who will be elected President.

Peter, over to you.

Thanks Bernie.  That's very true.  This tight and very hotly contested election is resulting in record turnouts across the country.  At this moment, the popular vote between the two major candidates is virtually a dead heat.  And the electoral vote, as we are now heading into the plains and western states is extremely close. 

Alex, thoughts?

Yes Bernie.  Who would have predicted even a month ago that President Clinton would virtually sweep the south or that Senator Rockfeller would almost completely dominate the northeast and make such stunning advances in the midwest?

As we move westward, one would think that the plains and mountain states would be fertile territory for the Republican and that the west coast would be good for the Democrat, but, at this point, given the results we have seen so far, all bets are off Bernie.

Thanks Peter, thanks Alex.

Alex, what effect have the Perot and Nader candadacies had on the race so far?

Well, in the case of Nader, virtually negligible.  He is polling less than one percent in the vote totals, and his impact as a candidate really does not register on the political radar.  Perot fares somewhat better than Nader, however, Perot is running far behind his impressive showing in 1992 when he captured almost 19% of the popular vote and definitely had an impact on the outcome of that election.  This time, Perot is running under 5% of the vote.  He has most likely drawn votes away from both Clinton and Rockefeller, however, less than 5% spread across the country in an election with this turnout really fails to have an appreciable impact on the fortunes of the two major candidates.  This election is so competitive between the two major candidates that this has virtually sidelined Perot and Nader.

Thanks Alex.       
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2010, 11:30:31 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2010, 02:21:19 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

CNN is now ready to make the following calls.

Oklahoma will go into the Clinton column.  This very Republican state has given its'  electoral votes to the Democrat, President Clinton.

The very Republican states of Kansas and Nebraska will stay with the Republicans, giving their electoral votes to Senator Rockefeller.

North Dakota goes to Senator Rockefeller while South Dakota goes to President Clinton.

Bernie, these results are all over the map, as it were.  In most elections lately, all of these states would have gone Republican, but here we have President Clinton making inroads in this area.  

Thanks Peter.

CNN is now in a position to call Wyoming for Senator Rockefeller.  

Bernie, former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney campaigned hard for Rockefeller in his home state of Wyoming, and I am sure he is very pleased that Rockefeller has won it.

We have two more calls that we are in a position to make.  Colorado and New Mexico will go to President Clinton.

These wins will add a major boost to the Clinton supporters.

What, what was that?  Just let me confirm.  You're positive?

CNN has a major call to make.  Texas and its' huge prize of 32 electoral votes will go to President Clinton.

Bernie, this win is really nothing short of remarkable.  In spite of the fact that popular Texas Governor George W Bush was a strong and vocal supporter of Rockefeller, Clinton has won the state.

Indeed Alex.

We now take you live to the Clinton campaign headquarters.  Mark, what is happening there now after these latest developments?

Bernie, this place has just exploded with cheering, clapping, singing, and dancing.  With the Clinton wins in Oklahoma, South Dakota, Colorado, New Mexico, and now, the big one, Texas, this place has gone absolutely wild with excitement.  They believe they are on a roll.  Senator Tom Harkin is here with me.  Senator, how do you see this election going? Mark, we have never been more confident.  Thank you Senator.  Back to you Bernie.  

Thank you Mark.

We take you now live to the Rockefeller headquarters.  Sue, what is happening there now after these latest stunning results?

Well Bernie, things are not as jumping here as they were a short time ago, but they remain optimistic.  I have with me Senator Dick Lugar of Indiana.  Senator, how do you see the election going at this point, given these latest developments?  Sue, this election is far from over, and we remain confident and optimistic.  There you have it Bernie.

Thank you Sue.  

More good news for the Clinton campaign.  CNN is now calling Montana for President Clinton.  

We are calling Idaho and Utah for Senator Rockefeller.

Montana is somewhat of a surprise, but I would have been very surprised had Idaho or Utah not gone Republican.  Bernie, there has been a shift in momentum at this point in time to President Clinton, however, it must be remembered that this is an election, not a campaign.  

Thanks Peter.        
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2010, 11:40:20 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2010, 11:11:08 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

The electoral map at this hour

Clinton                                   232
Rockefeller                              215
To come or too close to call         91

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2010, 01:52:44 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2010, 02:00:57 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Welcome back to CNN and Election Night '96.  I'm Bernard Shaw, CNN News Anchor.

CNN is now in a position to make the following calls.  

Arizona has simply been too close all night to call.  However, we now have sufficient data to call Arizona.  Arizona goes to President Clinton.

Bernie, this no doubt comes as a big disappointment to Senator John McCain, who campaigned hard for Senator Rockefeller in his home state.  
Clinton won it by a razor thin margin, but he did win it nonetheless.

CNN is now able to call the following states, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, all for President Clinton.  

Bernie, these do not come as a total surprise.  Democrats have done well in Oregon and Washington, and sometimes in Nevada, although this time around the Democratic margin in all of these states was very small, especially in Nevada and Oregon.  A bit bigger in Washington, but far smaller than in some elections in which they have won this state.

Thanks Peter.

CNN now has enough data to call Alaska and Hawaii.

Alaska will go to Senator Rockefeller.  Hawaii will go to President Clinton.

These states are following traditional voting patterns.  No big surprises this time around in these states.

In fact, you will recall that Senator Rockefeller made a much publicized trip to Alaska and made a major policy speech at a huge rally in Anchorage, where he discussed energy, hunting, fishing and environmental issues, and spent an entire day meeting with Alaskans.  This resulted in a huge win for Rockefeller in Alaska tonight.

The Rockefeller campaign also dispatched Liddy Dole to Hawaii early in the campaign, where she addressed a huge rally in Honolulu.  They did not win Hawaii, but they did do very well in the state.

Senator Rockefeller stated during his visit to Alaska that he and Liddy Dole did not take Alaska or Hawaii for granted, and that they wanted to meet and talk to the people of these two states face to face.   

So it all comes down to California, which has simply been too close to call.  

Peter, Alex, either of you want to go out on a limb and make a prediciton for California?

Bernie, only a fool would predict California based on the closeness of the vote there.

I agree.  In this state, we will need more data before making a call.

(CNN conducts a round table discussion with their pundits and political analysts until sufficient data comes in from California to make a definitive call for the state.)

(During the round table discussion, Bernard Shaw in a conversation off camera:  What's that?  Are you sure?  Well, check, double check, and triple check your data.  We want to make the call, but we want to make the right call.  Too much hinges on this call, and we have to get it right.  Okay, all your data has been verified.  We'll go live.)

I will have to interrupt your discussion.  Ladies and gentlemen, CNN is now in a position to call the all important state of California.  This state will decide who will win this election.  CNN calls the state of California for Senator Benson Rockefeller, giving him 272 electoral votes, a majority in the Electoral College.  

So Senator Benson Rockefeller of New York becomes the 43rd President of the United States of America.  We now take you live to Rockefeller Central in Manhattan.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2010, 02:01:02 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2010, 10:23:56 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

The electoral map for Election '96

Benson Rockefeller/Elizabeth Dole         272 EV       47.54% PV
Bill Clinton/Al Gore                              266 EV       47.41% PV
Ross Perot/Pat Choate                             0 EV        4.16% PV
Ralph Nader/Winona LaDuke                     0 EV        0.53% PV
Others                                                   0 EV        0.36% PV

hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »

Actually, this was a very good timeline.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »

Thank you Hawkeye.  I never thought I would be hearing that from you, so that makes it all that much more appreciated.

I plan to pursue this timeline now into the transition and then into the Rockefeller Presidency.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »

While Rockefeller win was obvious since you started, election night was well-conducted and even if I retain my criticism regarding previous entries, that's becoming interesting.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »

Thank you Hawkeye.  I never thought I would be hearing that from you, so that makes it all that much more appreciated.

I plan to pursue this timeline now into the transition and then into the Rockefeller Presidency.
When you started, you made this very Rockefeller-biased, but that has stopped since.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2010, 09:10:47 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2010, 10:32:19 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

We now take you live to Rockefeller Central in Manhattan.

Sue, I can see that place has gone wild.  What's it like actually being there?

Bernie, it is absolutely unbelievable.  Shouts of WE WANT ROCKY, are almost deafening.  When the news flashed on the screens from all the networks that Senator Rockefeller had taken California, this place broke out in a frenzy of celebration.  

Sue, when is Senator Rockefeller, now President Elect Rockefeller, expected to arrive, and address the nation?

Well, I have been talking with some key Rockefeller people here, but they have not confirmed with me when the President Elect will be coming here to speak.  It would seem his appearance has been delayed for some reason.  It is now approaching 4:00 A.M., eastern standard time, and this election was just decided only minutes ago.

Thank you Sue.  We will continue to monitor the situation, and will get back to you as soon as more information is available.  

Thank you Bernie.

Peter, the Rockefeller win in California, what lies behind that?

Bernie, Benson Rockefeller had appeal to many Californians.  He's the kind of Republican many people in the state seem to like.  As well, popular Governor Pete Wilson campaigned vigorously for Rockefeller throughout the state.  And don't forget Bernie, it was in Sacramento that Rockefeller uttered the now famous and much quoted phrase,

National security is singing off key and needs voice lessons.

This phrase was picked up by all the networks and much of the print media, and given a tremendous amount of publicity and play across the country.

Thanks Peter.

We now go live to President Clinton's headquarters.  Mark, what's it like down there at this time after Rockefeller was declared the winner?  

Bernie, as you can imagine, the mood here is somber and downcast.  Many people here in fact are in a state of disbelief.

Thanks Mark.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2010, 09:51:09 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2010, 11:01:15 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

There is something happening at Rockefeller Central.  We now take you live to Rockefeller headquarters.

Sue, what's going on now?  Has the President Elect arrived?

Bernie, I can see a path being cleared through the crowd by what would appear to be a phalanx of security.  Someone is in the middle of this security brigade and is making his way to the stage.  I can't make out who it is from my vantage point Bernie.  Wait, I can see now that it is not the President Elect.  Bernie, we are going immediately to the podium.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am Senator Al D'Amato of New York, and I am here to make a statement on behalf of President Elect Benson Rockefeller.  Approximately five minutes ago, President Elect Rockefeller  had just gotten off the phone with President Clinton.  Mr. Clinton had called Mr. Rockefeller to inform him that he was not ready, at this time, to concede the election.  President Elect Rockefeller will be making a statement at 5:00 P.M. today, eastern standard time.

Well, there you have it Bernie.  Senator D'Amato has left the stage and is not taking any questions.

Thank you Sue.

Well, what an election night this has been.  We will be here to cover the statement from President Elect Rockefeller, which will be taking place at 5:00 P.M. today, eastern standard time.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2010, 08:54:09 AM »

When you started, you made this very Rockefeller-biased, but that has stopped since.

Yes, and you took into consideration circumstances like Rockefeller's stance on the issues and how that would affect the election.  In fact, I was kind of hoping for a terror attack on US Soil to make the election a little more pro-Rockefeller.

This is very well written.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2010, 10:13:29 PM »

Yes, and you took into consideration circumstances like Rockefeller's stance on the issues and how that would affect the election.  In fact, I was kind of hoping for a terror attack on US Soil to make the election a little more pro-Rockefeller.

This is very well written.

Thank you for the compliment.  Much appreciated.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2010, 11:55:43 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2010, 11:03:05 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN.  I'm Bernard Shaw, CNN News Anchor.

Welcome to this CNN news special.

President Elect Benson Rockefeller is scheduled to address the nation one hour from now, and we will, of course, be providing live coverage of that event.

CNN would like to clarify our use of the term President Elect that we have been using.

During our election coverage last evening when CNN made the calls as to which of the candidates each of the states and the District of Columbia would go, these calls were made based on extensive exit polling and scientific analysis of the vote in strategic areas of each state.  Our methods were sound and we stand behind our calls.  That is why we continue to refer to Mr. Rockefeller as the President Elect.  We have not changed our stand in light of the events of early this morning when President Clinton informed President Elect Rockefeller that he was not ready to concede the election at this time.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2010, 12:57:05 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2010, 09:59:07 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Wednesday November 6, 5:00 P.M. eastern standard time

We now take you live to Manhattan, where President Elect Rockefeller is to address the nation.

Rockefeller takes the podium.  Elizabeth Dole stands to his right and about one foot back.  Rockefeller looks Presidential with his navy blue business suit, white shirt with red cufflinks, red and blue stripped tie, with an American flag lapel pin.  Elizabeth Dole is wearing an attractive green suit, jacket and skirt, with blue edging, and a white top under her suit jacket.  She is as well wearing an American flag lapel pin.

Rockefeller begins his remarks.

Good evening my fellow Americans.  Every four years, as provided by our constitution, Americans go to the polls to elect a President and Vice President to lead the nation.  As you know, this exercise in democracy took place yesterday.  The decision of the voters has been rendered, and the voters have made a close yet clear determination as to who is to lead this nation over the next four years.  From any reasonable reading of the votes cast, state by state, the decision made by the voters of this nation is that they have chosen myself and Elizabeth Dole as the next President and Vice President of the United States.

We all know that this election was one of the closest, if not the closest Presidential election in the history of this nation.  We recognize and acknowledge that.  Secretary Dole and myself have finished slightly ahead of President Clinton and Vice President Gore in the popular vote, but in an election this close, indeed, in any election for President and Vice President, it is the Electoral College Vote that determines the winner of the election.

Secretary Dole and I have received a majority of the Electoral College votes, receiving 272 votes to 266 for President Clinton and Vice President Gore.  270 Electoral College votes are required to win the election.  

A close analysis of each of the states won by Secretary Dole and myself shows very clearly that in each and every one of these states, our margin of victory is beyond contention.  Many of these states we have won by comfortable margins.  As well, several of the states that we have won were by narrow margins.  We acknowledge that.  Even though in several states our margin of victory was close, our margin in these close states was still wide enough as to be beyond question, and that includes the state of California.  Likewise, although President Clinton and Vice President Gore won many states by comfortable margins, many of the states they won they as well won by very narrow margins.  Our conclusions are supported by analysts across the country.

We would urge President Clinton and Vice President Gore to consider these facts very carefully in any determination they will be making in this matter.

Let me be clear, due to the extreme closeness of this election, President Clinton and Vice President Gore are completely entitled, indeed, it is most sensible, to closely examine the results in each and every state, in particular the close states, before taking a particular course of action, and, as the Clinton campaign has stated, they require time to examine these results closely.

However, I have laid out the plain facts, and those facts are that Secretary Dole and I have won this election, by any reasonable measure of the results.

The transition from one administration to the next is long and involved.  Consequently, our transition team has begun the process of establishing a new administration, ready to go from day one, the day of our inauguration.

Thank you my fellow Americans, and good evening.    

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2010, 01:48:52 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2010, 09:01:29 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

We now return to the CNN studios.  I'm Bernard Shaw, News Anchor.

Well Alex, what do you make of Rockefeller's remarks?

Bernie, Rockefeller could not have been more precise or to the point.  He came right out and said that he and Elizabeth Dole won the election, and that they have begun the transition process.

He also said that even in the close states, their margin of victory was beyond contention.  Bernie, CNN, and all the other networks, by virtue of the fact they called even these close states for Rockefeller, tells us that we, and the other networks as well, agree with his statement in this regard.  If we were not confident that the Rockefeller margin was sufficient enough to put the state safely in his column, we would have called the state as too close to call.  But our numbers show that none of these states fall into the too close to call category.

President Clinton has a very tough sales job Bernie if he decides to contest the election.  Rockefeller has come right out and declared victory, backed it up with facts that are supported nationwide, and has begun the process of transition.

If President Clinton comes out now and contests the election, the nation, after hearing Rockefeller, will likely conclude that Rockefeller has won the election and that Clinton is trying to take it away from him.

From a PR standpoint, declaring victory was the smartest thing Rockefeller could do.

Thank you  Alex.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2010, 09:59:18 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 11:02:30 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Peter, your thoughts on the Rockefeller statement?

Bernie, I agree with Alex in his analysis.  Further Bernie, this was vintage Rockefeller.  He came out, spoke his mind very directly, pulled no punches.  

Another interesting thing he said, Bernie, when he was talking about the close states, he said very forthrightly that many of the states that Clinton won were also by very narrow margins, indicating to me what he really meant, very subtly, was alright Clinton, you want to contest some of my close states, many of your states were very close, I could then start contesting some of your close states.  You wanna play tough?  Let's go.

This would not be a pretty sight, Bernie.  It would result in a political slugfest the likes of which this country has never witnessed.  I think what Rockefeller was telling Clinton was now you don't really want to drag the country through that do you?

Also Bernie, the Clinton camp realizes full well that Rockefeller can be a real political street fighter when he has to be, and that he has almost limitless resources to fight any legal battles the Democrats may initiate.

After taking a couple of days going over the numbers, I doubt that Clinton will contest the results Bernie.  But in all fairness to Clinton, they did have to closely examine these numbers to see if there was any possibility that 4 electoral votes could be shifted their way.  Rockefeller himself acknowledged this.  But if there were 4 electoral votes the Clintons thought could be shifted to them, believe me, they would fight tooth and nail for them, and employ any means necessary if they thought they could get them.  But honestly Bernie, I do not believe there are 4 electoral votes out there that could be shifted, given the election results, even in the very close states.  

Bernie, given these extraordinarily close results, Benson Rockefeller is either the most skillful politician alive today, either that or the luckiest.    
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2010, 07:53:21 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2010, 10:00:46 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Friday November 8

Two days after the Rockefeller/Dole statement, Benson Rockefeller receives a phone call from Bill Clinton.

Ben, let me congratulate you on your election win.  The time has come for me to concede the election to you.  Our team has been going over the numbers very carefully in the close states that you won on election night and we have concluded that none of these states would shift to us should we contest them.    

I do not wish to subject the nation to a protracted legal battle from now until December in light of the fact that we now believe no states that you won have the potential to shift to us.

Bill, thank you very much for this most gracious call.  I know this has been a bitter and hardfought campaign, but I would like to tell you that I have long respected your incredible political skills.  If our finishing in the election would have been reversed, I would have taken the time to examine the results closely to see if there was any way of shifting a state or states to me.  And Bill, with the shift of a few thousand votes here and there, you would have won.  

Thanks Ben.  You have my full support in the transition.  All the best to you and Diane from Hillary and myself.

Thank you Bill.  That means a lot to me.  Please give Hillary and Chelsea all the best from Diane and I and our family.  And all the best to you Bill.  

Thanks Ben.  

One hour later, President Clinton goes on national television.

Good evening my fellow Americans.

Approximately one hour ago, I called President Elect Rockefeller and offered him my concession in the election.

Due to the extreme closeness of the election, we needed this time to examine all possibilities if any of the close states won by Mr. Rockefeller could be shifted to us.  We concluded that none of the states would change hands in a recount.  

President Elect Rockefeller agrees our course of action was the correct one.

President Elect Rockefeller has my full support in the transition.

Thank you and good night.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2010, 08:56:51 PM »

Excellent election!

Here was my prediction...

315-223

(Or something along those lines, atleast.)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »

Thank you Dallasfan.

I'm sure that is the result Ben Rockefeller would like to have seen as well.

I can assure you President Elect Rockefeller appreciates your optimistic projection of his electoral appeal.  Smiley

I am hoping to write an interesting Rockefeller Presidency.

Anything you would particularly like to see in that part of the story?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »

Thank you Dallasfan.

I'm sure that is the result Ben Rockefeller would like to have seen as well.

I can assure you President Elect Rockefeller appreciates your optimistic projection of his electoral appeal.  Smiley

I am hoping to write an interesting Rockefeller Presidency.

Anything you would particularly like to see in that part of the story?

I'll just hold out for whatever you've got. Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2010, 08:35:49 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2010, 10:15:58 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

You have been watching live coverage of President Clinton's concession speech.

Alex, your thoughts on President Clinton's remarks?

Bernie, a very gracious statement from the President.  He was most conciliatory and will be leaving office on a high note.  

Thank you Alex.

We have received information that President Elect Benson Rockefeller will be addressing the nation, to accept the election victory, tomorrow, Saturday, 8:00 P.M., eastern standard time.  He has chosen a small venue for this address, the New York State Assembly in Albany.  Rockefeller was a two term Governor of New York, so he is very familiar with the state capitol.

CNN will, of course, be covering the President Elect's address live.  Please join us then.

Good evening and thank you for watching.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2010, 10:08:08 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Saturday November 9, 8:00 PM eastern standard time

President Elect Benson Rockefeller addresses the nation from the New York State Assembly.

Seated behind him on stage are his wife Diane Rockefeller, Vice President Elect Elizabeth Dole and her husband Senator Bob Dole.

My fellow Americans, I come before you this evening as President Elect, with full knowledge and appreciation of the fact this election was one of the closest and most divisive in the history of our nation.  It will be my first priority as President to work for the common good of all Americans, regardless of politics, and to bring this nation together.  Whether you voted for me or not, I will do my best to serve your interests and I will work to earn your respect.

Let me say I have never had a more humbling moment in my life than to be elected to lead this nation.  

Last evening I received the most gracious call from President Clinton, conceding the election.  He has pledged his utmost support during the transition.  Mr. President, thank you.  This time is fitting to pay tribute to President Clinton, and to his many years of dedicated service to the great state of Arkansas and to this great nation.  Thank you President Clinton.  I would as well like to pay tribute to Vice President Al Gore, and to his many years of faithful service to the great state of Tennessee and to this great nation.  Thank you Vice President Gore.

Thank you to all those hundreds of thousands of Americans who worked so hard on our behalf in this campaign, as well thank you to all those who worked on behalf of the Clinton Gore campaign, as well as to those who worked on behalf of all the other candidates.  This is democracy in action.

A special thank you to my family, my wife Diane, thank you so much, and to all those members of my family who worked so tirelessly and faitufully on this campaign.

And speaking of Diane, she's going to have a new title in a couple of months. And it isn't really new because she's been the first lady in my life for a long time.

I am so pleased to have with me in this new administration Elizabeth Dole as Vice President.  Elizabeth Dole brings with her tremendous experience and outstanding abilities to this office.  Elizabeth Dole takes a back seat to no one when it comes to having the experience, knowledge, qualifications, and the abilities for this office.  When I began my Vice Presidential search, I stated that the individual that I pick would not only have the capabilities to be Vice President, but they would also have the capabilities to be President.  I've said it before and I say it now, Elizabeth Dole fulfills that criteria.  

Abe Lincoln, the day after his election to the Presidency, gathered in his office the newsmen who had been covering his campaign and he said to them, "Well boys, you're troubles are over now, mine have just begun."

I think I know what he meant. Lincoln may have been concerned in the troubled times in which he became President but I don't think he was afraid. He was ready to confront the problems and the troubles of a still youthful country, determined to seize the historic opportunity to change things.

And I am not frightened by what lies ahead and I don't believe the American people are frightened by what lies ahead. Together, we're going to do what has to be done. I aim to try and tap that great American spirit that opened up this completely undeveloped continent from coast to coast and made it a great nation, survived several wars, survived a Great Depression, and we'­ll survive any problems facing us in the future.

Tonight, I chose to speak from the chamber of the New York State Assembly because it has been a home to bipartisan co-operation.

Here, Republicans and Democrats have worked together to do what is right for the people they represent.

They've had spirited disagreements, and in the end, found constructive consensus.  I know, as I had the privilege of serving this great state as Governor for two terms. This spirit of cooperation and bipartisanship is an experience I will always carry with me, an example I will always follow.

The spirit of co-operation I have seen in this hall is what is needed in Washington. It is the challenge of our moment.

After a difficult election, we must put politics behind us and work together to make the promise of America available for every one of our citizens.

I'm optimistic that we can change the tone in Washington DC. I believe things happen for a reason, and I hope this close election will heighten a desire to move beyond the bitterness and partisanship of the recent past.

Our nation must rise above a house divided. Americans share hopes and goals and values far more important than any political disagreements. Republicans want the best for our nation. And so do Democrats. Our votes may differ, but not our hopes.

I know America wants reconciliation and unity. I know Americans want progress. And we must seize this moment and deliver.

Together, guided by a spirit of common sense, common courtesy and common goals, we can unite and inspire the American citizens.

Together, we will work to make all our public schools excellent, teaching every student of every background and every accent, so that every child has the oportunity to succeed. Together, we will save social security and renew its promise of a secure retirement for generations to come.

Together, we will strengthen Medicare and offer prescription drug coverage to all of our seniors. Together, we will give Americans the broad, fair and fiscally responsible tax system they deserve.

Together, we'll have a bipartisan foreign policy true to our values and true to our friends. And we will have a military equal to every challenge, and superior to every adversary.

Together, we will address some of society's deepest problems one person at a time, by encouraging and empowering the good hearts and good works of the American people.

These priorities are not merely Republican concerns or Democratic concerns, these are American responsibilities.

During the fall campaign, we differed about details of these proposals, but there was remarkable consensus about the important issues before us, excellent schools, retirement and health security, tax relief, a strong military, a more civil society.

We've discussed our differences, now it is time to find common ground and build consensus to make America a beacon of opportunity in the 21st century.

I'm optimistic this can happen. Our future demands it, and our history proves it. Two hundred years ago, in the election of 1800, America faced another close presidential election. A tie in the electoral college put the outcome into the hands of Congress.

After six days of voting, and 36 ballots, the House of Representatives elected Thomas Jefferson the third President of the United States. That election brought the first transfer of power from one party to another in our new democracy.

Shortly after the election, Jefferson, in a letter titled reconciliation and reform, wrote this, "the steady character of our countrymen is a rock to which we may safely moor, unequivocal in principle, reasonable in manner, we shall be able I hope to do a great deal of good to the cause of freedom and harmony."

Two hundred years have only strengthened the steady character of America. And so as we begin the work of healing our nation, tonight I call upon that character. Respect for each other. Respect for our differences. Generosity of spirit. And a willingness to work hard and work together to solve any problem.

I ask for the faith and prayers of Americans for this nation as we move ahead.

I thank you for your prayers for me and my family.  I have faith that with God's help we as a nation will move forward together, as one nation, indivisible. And together we will create an America that is open, so every citizen has access to the American dream.

An America that is educated, so every child has the keys to realise that dream. And an America that is united in our diversity and our shared American values that are larger than race or party.

I was not elected to serve one party, but to serve one nation. The President of the United States is the President of every single American, of every race and every background. Whether you voted for me or not, I will do my best to serve your interests, and I will work to earn your respect.

I will be guided by President Jefferson's sense of purpose, to stand for principle, to be reasonable in manner, and, above all, to do great good for the cause of freedom and harmony.

The Presidency is more than an honour, it is more than an office. It is a charge to keep, and, so help me God, I will keep it.

Thank you very much, and God bless America.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2010, 10:15:11 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2010, 01:24:37 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

We have just watched President Elect Rockefeller address the nation, the day following the concession from President Clinton.

Peter, what do you make of the speech?

Bernie, a remarkable speech.  He appeared to be genuinely humble and conciliatory.  He certainly reached out to all Americans, those who supported him, and in particular, to those who did not.

We saw a very different Rockefeller tonight than we saw on the campaign trail.  In the campaign we saw a very ougtoing and, in some cases, bombastic Rockefeller.  Tonight, we saw a Rockefeller whose tone and speaking manner were definitely low key, certainly in comparison with what we are used to seeing from him.

The venue was very interesting Bernie, the New York State Assembly.  Rockefeller often prefers very large audiences, with much fanfare and everything that goes with that.  Tonight, speaking from the New York State Assembly, the President Elect wanted to let the nation know that he was all about cooperatrion and reconciliation, as the New York State Assembly, although by no means always the picture of bipartisanship, does have a reputation of working together in a bipartisan manner on many imortant issues that are important to the state.

This was a smart move on the part of Rockefeller Bernie.  A huge, noisy victory rally at say, Madison Square Garden, would have been completely inappropriate under these election circumstances.

Thank you Peter.

We have in the studio tonight Democratic Senator Ernest Hollings of South Carolina.

Welcome to the program Senator.

Thank you Bernie.

Senator, what is your take on the Rockefeller speech tonight?

Bernie, it was well crafted and well delivered.  But it is one thing to talk bipartisanship and quite another thing to deliver on it.

Quite frankly, Bernie, the President Elect does not have a sterling record in the bipartisanship field.  I am hopeful that the new President will put his words into practice when he takes office in January, and set aside the somewhat abrasive manner he is known for.

Thank you Senator.

Thank you Bernie.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2010, 11:22:47 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2010, 11:26:26 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Sunday November 10, the day after addressing the nation from the New York State Assembly in Albany, to accept the election victory, President Elect Rockefeller and his wife Diane attend church services at the Madison Avenue Baptist Church in midtown Manhattan.

The couple gets out of the limousine three blocks from the church in order to walk, with security, in the brisk morning air.  Reporters are following them and are trying to get a comment from the President Elect.  

Mr. Rockefeller, what are your plans for the coming week?

Continuing walking, Rockefeller, well, as you know, we have a tremendous amount of work ahead of us preparing a new administration that will be ready to hit the gound running on our first day in office.  But today, we have come to church to worship and to thank the Lord for our blessings.  Thank you.

Inside the church, the couple is led to a seat on the front pew.  

The senior pastor, I would like to welcome all here today, and in particular, President Elect and Mrs. Rockefeller.  We are honored that you have chosen to worship today with us.  The couple nods their thanks.  We have never had so many cameras in the church.  Does my tie look alright?  (laughs)

The pastor delivers his sermon  

Psalms 107:1-9, 43

1 Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good!
         For His mercy endures forever.
 2 Let the redeemed of the LORD say so,
         Whom He has redeemed from the hand of the enemy,
 3 And gathered out of the lands,
         From the east and from the west,
         From the north and from the south.

4 They wandered in the wilderness in a desolate way;
         They found no city to dwell in.
 5 Hungry and thirsty,
         Their soul fainted in them.
 6 Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble,
         And He delivered them out of their distresses.
  7 And He led them forth by the right way,
         That they might go to a city for a dwelling place.
 8 Oh, that men would give thanks to the LORD for His goodness,
         And for His wonderful works to the children of men!
 9 For He satisfies the longing soul,
         And fills the hungry soul with goodness.

43 Whoever is wise will observe these things,
         And they will understand the lovingkindness of the LORD

Following the sermon, the Rockefellers leave the church.  They are met by reporters outside.

Mr. Rockefeller, how did you enjoy the service?

Very well.  We are always uplifted by hearing the word of God.

The couple gets into the armored limousine which has been provided by the secret service, and returns to their Manhattan residence for the day, where the President Elect meets with advisors to continue work on the transition.    
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies