Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:45:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold  (Read 27910 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2010, 11:24:50 AM »
« edited: August 01, 2010, 11:26:41 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Just asking (so don't agressive as usual Tongue): in TTL Heflin haven't retired in 1996?

Kalwejt, thank you for the question.

In this TL, as in real life, Heflin is in his last term as a U.S. Senator.  He leaves the Senate in January of 1997.  But in November, 1996, of course, he is still a sitting Senator, and he is firmly convinced that Benson Rockefeller influenced Governor Pataki to appoint Grayson Rockefeller to fill the Senate vacancy.

Btw, I wonder if you could provide a list of Senators, or better (since making such list is annoying and I abandoned this in my TLs long ago) tell us if there are any notable personal changes TTL?

Kalwejt.  Thank you for your question.

I  will be pleased to provide more details as to the Senate and personnel changes.  This will be done sometime during the first week in August.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2010, 11:55:32 AM »

The day following the statement from Alabama Democratic Senator Howell Heflin, in which he accused President Elect Benson Rockefeller of interference in the appointment of his son, Grayson Rockefeller II,  to fill the New York Senate vacancy, the President Elect's Transition Office releases the following statement.

President Elect Rockefeller wishes to express to the nation and in particular to Senator Heflin that he has long held Senator Heflin in the highest regard, for his intelligence, his hard work and dedicated service during his many years in both his private and in his public life, and for his invaluable contributions to the people of the great state of Alabama and to the people of the nation.  The President Elect continues to hold Senator Heflin in the highest regard.   

President Elect Rockefeller respects the right of Senator Heflin to voice his strongly held views in the matter of the New York Senate appointment, as he respects the right of all Americans to express their views in any matter.

President Elect Benson Rockefeller would like to reiterate what he, and what Governor Pataki have said previously, that the appointment of the President Elect's son, Grayson Rockefeller II, to fill the New York Senate vacancy, was the decision of Governor Pataki, and was his and his alone.

The appointment of New York State Senator Grayson Rockefeller II to the United States Senate was based on the merits and qualiications of Grayson Rockefeller II, and not on his relationship to the President Elect.

In light of the fact that Senator Heflin will be stepping down as a United States Senator in January of 1997, the President Elect, along with his wife, Diane, and their family, express their sincere best wishes to Senator Heflin and to his family on his retirement, and wish him many happy and productive years ahead.

Signed
President Elect Benson Rockefeller
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2010, 12:18:44 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2010, 10:14:08 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

North Carolina Republican Senator Jesse Helms wades into the New York Senate appointment controversy.

As ya all know, ah did not support Benson Rockefella for the Republican nomination, but ah did support him for President when he won the nomination.  Ah campaigned hard for him and for my fella North Carolinian Liddy Dole throughout North Carolina and in other parts of the south.

Ah am somewhat dismayed that my fella Senator Howell Heflin from the great state of Alabama would drag the President Elect's integrity through the mud like this, over the appointment by Govena Pataki of Grayson Rockefella II to fill the New York Senate vacancy.

Ah may not agree with everything that Benson Rockefella says or does, but ah do not believe for a moment that he unduly influenced Govena Pataki to appoint Grayson to the Senate.

Ah am disappointed in my good friend Senator Heflin for makin this unwarranted accusation.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2010, 05:14:14 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN.  I'm Bernard Shaw, News Anchor.

Today, in the continuing controversy over the appointment by Governor George Pataki  of Grayson Rockefeller II to fill the New York Senate vacancy, created by the resignation of his father, President Elect Benson Rockefeller, there are two developments.

Earlier today, the Transition Office of the President Elect issued the following statement in response to the criticism about the appointment from Alabama Democratic Senator Howell Heflin.  

(Transition Office statement read)

A couple of hours later, in response as well to the Heflin criticism, North Carolina Republican Senator Jesse Helms strongly defended the President Elect in a statement.  Here is the footage of Senator Helms making his statement.

(Footage of the Helms statement played)

We have with us one of our main political correspondents, Peter Hampton.

Peter, what do you make of these statements, following the Heflin remarks?

Bernie, the statement from the Transition Office was very well worded and very conciliatory in tone, praising Senator Heflin for his many years of service to Alabama and to the nation, while at the same time stating very clearly that the decision on the appointment was the choice of Governor Pataki, and his alone, and that the appointment was made on merit, not on relationship.

Governor Pataki had stated previously that President Elect Rockefeller did not influence him in any way to appoint Grayson Rockefeller II to the Senate.  This was not in the statement from the Transition Office.

As to the Jesse Helms statement, this comes from a very prominent Republican in the Senate who is not known historically as a big supporter of the President Elect, thereby giving his statement perhaps even more wieght than if it had come from a big Rockefeller supporter.  He defended the President Elect in no uncertain terms.  To clarify Bernie, Senator Helms opposed Senator Benson for the nomination, but he did support him in the election once he became the Republican nominee. Bernie, I am sure there will be areas of disagreement between President Rockefeller and Senator Helms along the way during the Rockefeller Presidency.  Of that I have no doubt.    

As an aside, Bernie, Senator Helms stated that he campaigned throughout North Carolina and in other parts of the south for Presidential candidate Senator Rockefeller and Vice Presidential candidate Liddy Dole.  

You know, Bernie, this fact was overlooked in the election night coverage, and most of the credit for the Rockefeller win in North Carolina was given to Liddy Dole.  And certainly much of the credit should go to Liddy Dole.  However, Bernie, I think what is also clear is the fact that Senator Helms campaigning very hard for Rockefeller and Dole in North Carolina was as well a major factor in them winning the state.

Interesting.  Thank you Peter.

In other news..........    
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2010, 12:24:26 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Thursday, November 21, 1996.

This is CNN, with a special report.  I'm Bernard Shaw, News Anchor.

CNN has just received word that Supreme Court  Associate Justice John Paul Stevens has died, just minutes ago, due to an unexpected heart attack, at the age of 77.

Justice Stevens was in his office at the Supreme Court building at the time.  He was found slumped over his desk by his secretary.  She immediately called 911, and Justice Stevens was  rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Justice Stevens had been serving on the Supreme Court since 1975.  He was nominated by President Gerald Ford.

Justice Stevens has had a long and distinguished legal career.

We will have more later on the life and times of Justice Stevens.

Justice John Paul Stevens, dead at age 77.

CNN has just received a text of a statement released by President Elect Rockefeller, just moments ago.

Mrs. Rockefeller and I are shocked and saddened to learn of the passing of Justice John Paul Stevens.  Our heartfelt sympathies go out to the family of Justice Stevens.

Justice Stevens had a remarkable legal career in which he served this nation with integrity and with honor.

He will be greatly missed by all who knew him, and his legal expertise will be missed by this nation.

President Elect Benson Rockefeller    
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2010, 09:25:43 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Friday November 22, 1996

This is CNN.  I'm Bernard Shaw, CNN News Anchor.

We have with us today CNN legal contributor Demitri Potemkin.

Demitri, with the untimely death of Justice Stevens, during this time of transition from one administration to the next, what are we likely to see happen?

First of all Bernie, let me say that President Elect Rockefeller paid a very moving and emotional tribute to Justice Stevens in his statement of yesterday.   

As to what happens next in this matter Bernie, I do not believe for one moment that President Clinton would even attempt to nominate a replacement for Justice Stevens.  He is President  until January, however, having lost the election, the Republicans certainly, and indeed, possibly even some Democrats, would argue that he has no moral authority to be nominating a replacement.  

Does he have the constitutioinal authority, yes, indeed he does, as he is still President.  But if, in the extremely unlikely event that President Clinton were to move now to name a replacement, the Republican majority on the Judiciary Committee and in the Senate would not permit the nomination to move forward.

President Clinton knows this, so I do not believe he would move on this matter.

Now as for President Elect Rockefeller, this provides him with some genuine opportunities, but it also brings along with it potential pitfalls.  Rockefeller must move very carefully in this situation.  

One the one hand, candidate Rockefeller stated quite publicly that he would appoint Supreme Court Justices that would honor and uphold the constitution, and who did not believe that they should be legislating from the bench.  This is a real opportunity for Rockefeller to show the consrvatives in this country that he has heard them, and that he will appoint someone who will honor this philosophy.  

Look at the states that rejected Rockefeller in the election, practically every southern state, a conservative area.  Rockefellr could have a positive impact with these areas of the country depending on his course of action.

On the other hand, Bernie, Rockefeller did receive tremendous support from some of the regions of the country that are considered to be more liberal.  He does not want to give these areas the impression that he will take their votes but will go ahead and appoint a Supreme Court Justice who does not share their values.

In my view, Bernie, President Rockefeller will have a real balancing act to perform in this appointment.  This decision on the replacement will have to be one of the very first matters he deals with upon taking office.  He will have to get it right to get his Presidency off on the right foot.  For practical purposes, in my view, the nominee will have to be acceptable to the Republican dominated Judiciary Committee, as well as to the Republican majority in the Senate.  

Thank you for that insight Demitri.  And thank you for joining us here on CNN.

My pleasure Bernie.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2010, 10:13:51 PM »

November 22, the office of President Elect Benson Rockefeller at the Transition Headquarters, meeting with his most trusted advisors.

Well, the Stevens passing has certainly drawn attention away from the Grayson Rockefeller Senate story.  Thank goodness.

We all watched Potemkin on CNN.  I believe him to be one of the most astute legal minds in this country.  I've known him for years.  The man is brilliant, an extremely gifted attorney and legal scholar.

I agree completely with his analysis.  And I want to have my selection made before I take the oath of office in January.

You know, I could put Orrin Hatch out there as a replacement.  That would certainly satisfy the party base and the conservatives in the country.  And he meets the criteria I promised in the campaign for Supreme Court appointments.  Hatch, though certainly conservative, does have a reputation of working with liberals in the Senate to get legislation passed.

I'm throwing this out there for discussion.  What do you think?

Ben, I don't know.  Hatch would certainly make a credible Supreme Court Justice, and he would sail through the nomination process in committee and the Senate, but he may be too divisive and controversial.  He would meet with tremendous resistance from Democrats on the committee.  They couldn't stop his nomination, I'm certain of that, but, with this coming so early in your Presidency, I think it more advisable to pick someone credible like Hatch, yet not divisive like Hatch.

Yes, I agree Ben.  It's best to avoid controversy, as much as possible at least, with this nomination.  Getting the right pick confirmed smoothly so early in your Presidency will most definitely send an extremely positive message to the nation that you as Presidet know how to get things done right.

Andrew, as our chief legal advisor, please begin the search and vetting process immediately.  Use as many qualified staff as you feel you need.  I realize this process will be over and above the transition budget we have, but don't worry about the expense.  Please have a list of qualified potential nominees for me by mid December.  Then we will all sit down, review each name, and come up with a short list. 

I'll get on it right away, Mr. President.

Thanks Andrew.

Now, back to the cabinet.

Liddy, thank you for your remarkable contributions and insight as to potential cabinet secretaries and members of the new administration.  I knew I made the right pick when I chose you for Vice President.  You're going to make history, I know it.

Thanks Ben.  All in a days work.

Laughs from around the room.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2010, 12:55:46 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN.

Details are beginning to emerge about some of the key appointments and nominations for the new Benson Rockefeller administration, coming into office in January.

It is being reported that some of the major nominations to the cabinet will include the following

Virginia Senator John Warner is to become Secretary of State.  Mr. Warner has been serving in the United States Senate since 1979, and is widely respected on both sides of the aisle.  Warner has been one of Rockefeller's closest friends and political allies for many years.

Massachusetts businessman Mitt Romney is reportedly tapped to become Secretary of the Treasury.  He is the son of one time Michigan Governor George Romney.  Mitt Romney has been an extremely successful manager and corporate chief executive for many years.

Former Bush Defense Secretary Dick Cheney is slated for that same position again in the Rockefeller cabinet.  

As well, William Barr, who served for a brief period in the Bush cabinet as Attorney General, will resume that role in the new administration.

In a surprise appointment, North Dakota Democratic Senator Kent Conrad is to become the new Secretary of the Interior.  Conrad backed Rockefeller in the election.

Ann Veneman is to become Secretary of Agriculture.  A lawyer, Ms. Veneman has extensive experience in the United States Department of Agriculture in various capacities, and most recently has been serving as California's Secretary of Food and Agriculture.

Publisher Steve Forbes, who ran against Rockefeller for the Republican Presidential nomination, is slated to become the new Commerce Secretary.

Another one of Rockefeller's most trusted friends and political allies, Senator John Chafee of Rhode Island, is to become the new Secretary of Veterans Affairs.  Senator Chafee himself has a distinguished military career.

CNN, first in news, will bring you more details as they become known.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2010, 07:08:39 PM »

Warner is a great choice for pretty everyone's cabinet. I remember I read somewhere Clinton considered proposing him DoD after Aspin departure.

Cheney's good pick too. Remember, we're talking about pre-2000 Dick.

And Romney... Winfield, I knew you wouldn't stop yourself Wink

Thank you for your feedback on these cabinet picks Kalwejt.  Much appreciated.

Yes, you are right.  I had to put Romney in a senior position.  I couldn't live with myself if I didn't.  Smiley

In an actual cabinet, however, I do believe that Romney would do very well as Secretary of the Treasury.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2010, 10:54:44 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

The office of President Elect Benson Rockefeller, three days earlier, Rockefeller puts in a call to North Dakota Senator Kent Conrad.

Kent, I am apalled at the treatment you have received from your Democratic colleagues in the Senate, stripping you of your prime committee assignments, and all this because you backed me in the election.  This is petty and inexcusable.  I feel responsible.

Ben, backing you in the election was my decision.  I believed then, and I believe now, that you are the right one for the job.  I believe Clinton let down the nation with his inappropriate behavior, and that he no longer belongs in the Oval Office.

Kent, I'll get to the point.  I would like you to join my administration as Secretary of the Interior.  You're the one I want to head the Interior Department.  

Ben, I am honored to be asked.  This will be an opportunity for me to continue to be of meaningful service to the nation.  I accept.

Thanks Kent.  I am looking forward to serving with you in the new government.

Thanks Ben, likewise.

After hanging up the phone, Rockefeller speaks with his advisors.  

I have spoken with North Dakota Governor Ed Schafer to advise him I wanted Kent in my administration, so his state would be needing a replacement Senator if Kent accepts.  The Governor assured me he has an excellent Republican replacement in mind to represent North Dakota in the Senate.

This is a win win situation.  The nation gets an excellent Interior Secretary, and the Senate gets another Republican.

If the Democrats in the Senate want to play these games, they're about to find out the consequences of their actions.

John Chafee

Smart move Ben, smart move.

Everyone in the room

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2010, 10:49:38 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2010, 08:51:52 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

The United States Senate as of January 3, 1997

Alabama
Richard Shelby (R)
Jeff Sessions (R)

Alaska
Ted Stevens (R)
Frank Murkowski (R)

Arizona
John McCain (R)
Jon Kyl (R)

Arkansas
Dale Bumpers (D)
Tim Hutchinson (R)

California
Dianne Feinstein (D)
Barbara Boxer (D)

Colorado
Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R)
Wayne Allard (R)

Connecticut
Christopher Dodd (D)
Joe Lieberman (D)

Delaware
William Roth (R)
Joe Biden (D)

Florida
Bob Graham (D)
Connie Mack (R)

Georgia
Paul Coverdell (R)
Max Cleland (D)

Hawaii
Daniel Inouye (D)
Daniel Akaka (D)

Idaho
Larry Craig (R)
Dirk Kempthorne (R)

Illinois
Carol Moseley-Braun (D)
Richard Durbin (D)

Indiana
Dick Lugar (R)
Dan Coats (R)

Iowa
Chuck Grassley (R)
Tom Harkin (D)

Kansas
Sam Brownback (R)
Pat Roberts (R)

Kentucky
Wendell H. Ford (D)
Mitch McConnell (R)

Louisiana
John Breaux (D) Resigns to become Secretary of Energy
Mary Landrieu (D)

Maine
Olympia Snowe (R)
Susan Collins (R)

Maryland
Paul Sarbanes (D)
Barbara Mikulski (D)

Massachusetts
Ted Kennedy (D)
John Kerry (D)

Michigan
Carl Levin (D)
Spencer Abraham (R)

Minnesota
Paul Wellstone (D)
Rod Grams (R)

Mississippi
Thad Cochran (R)
Trent Lott (R)

Missouri
Kit Bond (R)
John Ashcroft (R)

Montana
Max Baucus (D)
Conrad Burns (R)

Nebraska
Bob Kerrey (D)
Chuck Hagel (R)

Nevada
Harry Reid (D)
Richard Bryan (D)

New Hampshire
Bob Smith (R)
Judd Gregg (R)

New Jersey
Robert Torricelli (D)
Frank Lautenberg (D)

New Mexico
Pete Domenici (R)
Jeff Bingaman (D)

New York
Al D'Amato (R)
Grayson Rockefeller II (R)

North Carolina
Jesse Helms (R)
Lauch Faircloth (R)

North Dakota
Kent Conrad (D) Resigns to become Secretary of the Interior
Byron Dorgan (D)

Ohio
John Glenn (D)
Mike DeWine (R)

Oklahoma
Don Nickles (R)
James Inhofe (R)

Oregon
Ron Wyden (D)
Gordon Smith (R)

Pennsylvania
Arlen Specter (R)
Rick Santorum (R)

Rhode Island
John Chafee (R) Resigns to become Secretary of Veterans Affairs
Jack Reed (D)

South Carolina
Strom Thurmond (R)
Ernest Hollings (D)

South Dakota
Tom Daschle (D)
Tim Johnson (D)

Tennessee
Fred Thompson (R)
Bill Frist (R)

Texas
Phil Gramm (R)
Kay Bailey Hutchison (R)

Utah
Orrin Hatch (R)
Robert F. Bennett (R)

Vermont
Patrick Leahy (D)
James Jeffords (R)

Virginia
John Warner (R) Resigns to become Secretary of State
Charles Robb (D)

Washington
Slade Gorton (R)
Patty Murray (D)

West Virginia
Robert Byrd (D)
John D. Rockefeller IV (D)

Wisconsin
Herb Kohl (D)
Russ Feingold (D)

Wyoming
Craig Thomas (R)
Michael Enzi (R)

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2010, 09:41:26 AM »

Kalwejt, in the interests of simplicity, I am using the actual Senate composition, with slight changes to allow for Grayson Rockefeller in New York, as that is already part of the story, and replacements for Warner in Virginia, Chafee in Rhode Island, and Conrad in North Dakota. 

I believe it would have gotten extremely complicated to create new Senate members, although I agree with you that Senate changes would likely have taken place under this scenario.

I do have replacements for Warner, Chafee, and Conrad, which will be announced soon.

Thank you for your comments.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2010, 08:00:03 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2010, 11:45:54 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN, first in news.  I'm Bernard Shaw News Anchor.

CNN has received more details as to the makeup of the new Rockefeller administration.

Carlos Guitierrez of Florida will head up the Labor Department as the new Secretary of Labor.  Born in Cuba, Guitierrez studied business administration and higher education, served as CEO of Kellog USA and became known as "The Man Who Fixed Kellogg", having led Kellog through a rough financial period.  

Alveda King of Georgia becomes the new Secretary of Health and Human Services.  King is a niece of slain civil rights leader Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. and the daughter of another slain civil rights leader, Reverend A.D. King.  Alveda King is a former member of the Georgia House of Representatives, a college professor, and an accomplished author.

Roderick Paige of Texas will take over as Secretary of Education.  Paige is noted for having the philosophy that education equalizes opportunity.  Paige has been a college dean, a school superintendent, and is an acknowledged expert on educational reform.

Douglas Forrester of New Jersey becomes the new Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.  Forrester served as Mayor of West Windsor, New Jersey, as Assistant State Treasurer, and directed the pension system for state employees.  He is a wealthy New Jersey businessman.  

Elaine Chao of Kentucky, will become the new Secretary of Transportation.  Chao holds a B.A. in economics, and has a Harvard MBA.  She has also studied at three other prominent American universities.  Chao has a long and impressive record of public service, as Deputy  Administrator of the Maritime Administration in the U.S. Department of Transportation, Deputy Secretary of Transportation under President Bush, as well she was Director of the Peace Corps.  Chao is the wife of Kentucky Republican Senator Mitch McConnell.

President Elect Rockefeller appears to have pulled off a real coup by persuading Louisiana Democratic Senator John Breaux to serve as Secretary of Energy.  Breaux served as a member of the United States House of Representatives for fifteen years, and has been a United States Senator since 1987.

CNN will bring you further details as they become available.

This is CNN.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2010, 01:07:21 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2010, 01:10:15 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

President Elect Benson Rockefeller holds a press conference at which he discusses international relations and national security.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming here today.

I have with me today a group of individuals who will be forming, in my view, the most impressive and talented national security team in the history of this nation.

I am pleased to have here today Senator John Warner, who, as you are aware, is to become the new Secretary of State.  

As well, Secretary Dick Cheney, a former Secretary of Defense, who will be taking over the same responsibilities in the new administration.  

Senator, Mr. Secretary, thank you for offering your tremendous talents and abilities to the nation in these important responsibilities.

Warner and Cheney nod their acknowledgment.

At this time, I will be introducing further members of our national security team.

Lawrence Eagleburger will become the new National Security Advisor.  Lawrence is an experienced and talented diplomat and an acknowledged authority in international affairs and national security issues.  Lawrence, I am so pleased to have you on the team.

Eagleburger nods, and says Thank you.  I am honored.

I am honored to introduce to you today the new United States Ambassador to the United Nations, Condoleeezza Rice, who will be leaving her position as Provost of Stanford University to accept these new and imortant responsibilities.  Ms. Rice is one of the foremost authorities in America today in the field of international relations, and one of the most brilliant people I have ever met.  Condi, thank you.

Rice nods her acknowledgment.

To my immediate right is, as you know, the new Vice President, Liddy Dole.  One of the first priorities of my administration will be to estabish a new government department, which is to be called The Department of Homeland Security.  Homeland security is becoming more and more important as increasing  threats to the peace and well being of Americans is on the rise.  This department will be headed by a cabinet secretary, the Secretary of Homeland Security.  The establishment of this new department will be the most significant and massive overhaul of government in this nation in generations.  This department will coordinate all national security efforts and initiatives, and will streamline national security initiatives and procedures.  Vice President Dole will spearhead this reorganization.

I have asked the Vice President to take on this tremendous task, because I know  with her at the helm it will be done right.  Thank you Liddy.

Dole nods politely.

At this time, I am very pleased and honored to announce that this new department, the Department of Homeland Security, will be headed by General Colin Powell, who will become the Secretary of Homeland Security.  General Powell is one of the truly great military commanders in the history of this nation. He is as well a former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and a former National Security Advisor in the administration of President Reagan.

General, it is an honor to have you join my administration.

Powell nods, saying Thank you Mr. President.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much for joining us here today.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2010, 10:38:59 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

President Elect Rockefeller meets again with the press to announce new appointments to his administration.  All the new nominees and appointees are present, as is Vice President Elect Liddy Dole.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining us here today.

It is my pleasure to announce that Governor William Weld of Massachusets will become the new White House Chief of Staff.  Bill brings with him a remarkable record as United States Attorney in Massachusetts who took on corruption and successfully brought the guilty to justice.  Bill joined the United States Department of Justice where he headed the Criminal Division, was resonsible for more than seven hundred employees, and oversaw some of the most significant prosecutions of the time.  As Governor, Bill has a record of reducing taxes and balanced budgets, among many other significant accomplishments.  Bill brings a record of tremendous ability and accomplishment to this important role in government.

The Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers will be Michael Boskin, a Professor of Economics at Stanford University.  Mike is a brilliant economist who brings with him many years of experience in academia, in government, and in business.

The new Director of the Offfice of Management and Budget is Congressman Rob Portman of Ohio.  Rob is a proven legislator and brings with him tremendous experience and qualifications to this important office.

The new United States Trade Representative will be Congressman Jim Rastad of Minnesota.  Jim has proven his capabilities during a long and productive public career.  He brings these same qualities to this office.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining us here today.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2010, 10:10:41 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2010, 09:16:26 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

President Elect Benson Rockefeller and Vice President Elect Dole meet with the press.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for meeting with us here today.

The new administration will have as one of its' major priorities the environment.  This administration will be working towards boosting energy independence and cutting greenhouse-gas emissions.  The United States will be supporting positive and effective proposals to cut greenhouse-gas emissions, proposals that must be adhered by all nations.  The only way that an international environmental agreement will work and be effective is if it is adhered to by all nations.  The new administration recognizes the importance of economic development, as well as the need for preserving our wilderness areas and protecting our wildlife.

We are pleased to announce today that Congressman Chris Shays of Connecticut will become the new Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency.  Congressman Shays brings a ramarkable record of accomplishment from both the private and public sectors to this office.

Chris, thank you for accepting this important responsibility.

Thank you Mr. President.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2010, 11:41:29 PM »

A black limo, accompanied by two other black vehicles with security, drives slowly through the White House gates, and drives up to the front steps.

The vehicles come to a stop.  From the middle vehicle, the limo, the President Elect and future First Lady emerge, to pay the traditional visit of the incoming President and First Lady to the outgoing First Couple.   

The Rockefellers embrace the Clintons, the four of them pause for photos.

BWR:  Bill, Hillary, how nice to see you.  Nice house you have here.

Laughs from the two couples and from the assembled press.

WJC:  Ben, Diane, welcome to the White House.  I guess we got evicted four years earlier than planned, but Hillary and I have been planning on downsizing eventually anyway.

More laughs.   

The two couples wave to the press, then proceed into the White House.

HRC:  Diane, I'll show you around.  We'll let the men discuss saving the world in the Oval Office.

DRR:  Hillary, they'll either be discussing saving the world, or their golf handicaps.

Laughs from the two of them.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2010, 11:07:49 PM »

This is CNN.

Governor William Weld resigned today as Governor of Massachusetts.  Weld will become the Chief of Staff for incoming President Benson Rockefeller.

Here is footage of Governor Weld

It has been my honor to serve as Governor of the great state of Massachusetts for the past seven years.  I would like to thank my staff, the legislators, and most of all the people of this state for their support during my time as Governor.

As you know, I have been asked by President Elect Rockefeller to become Chief of Staff in the new administration.  This is a responsibility which I am honored to accept, and I look forward to be working with President Rockefeller and his administration.

As I did as Governor of Massachusetts, I will put my best efforts into these new responsibilities in serving the nation.....

That was footage of Governor William Weld of Massachusetts who resigned today as Governor.

Lieutenant Governor Paul Cellucci, also a Republican, has been sworn in as the new Governor of Massachusetts.

This is CNN.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2010, 12:08:57 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN, first in news.

We now take you live to Providence, Rhode Island, where Republican Governor Lincoln Almond is holding a press conference at this hour.

As you know, that great Rhode Islander and dedicated public servant, Senator John Chafee, has resigned from the United States Senate in order to assume his new responsibilities in the incoming administration of the new President, Benson Rockefeller, as Secretary of Veterans Affairs.  We are honored to have Senator John Chafee with us here today.  Senator, thank you so much for your many years of dedicated and outstanding service to the people of Rhode Island and to the people of the nation.  John has spent many years serving our great state and our great nation, as an outstanding officer in the military, as Governor, as Secretary of the Navy, as United States Senator.

John, We have every confidence that your record of dedication and leadership will continue as you assume your new responsibilities as you head the Department of Veterans Affairs.  

John, please do us the honor of saying a few words.  

Governor, thank you.  It has indeed been my honor to serve the people of this state and of this nation over this past many years.  I look forward to my new responsibilities as Secretary of Veterans Affairs.  I can think of no better way that I would rather cap off my career of public service than to be the nation's lead spokesperson for our great men and women who have served this nation in the military.  President Elect Rockefeller has honored me greatly by offering me this position.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2010, 11:25:11 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2010, 11:29:43 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Thank you John.

I am pleased at this time to introduce to you the new Senator for the great state of Rhode Island, the current Mayor of the city of Warwick, Lincoln Chafee.

Lincoln Chafee and his wife and children enter the room and stand to the left of Governor Lincoln Almond.  John Chafee and his wife Virginia are standing to the Governor's right.  

Besides having a great first name.....

Laughs throughout the room

.....I have chosen Lincoln Chafee for this position because I know Lincoln to be a man of ability and dedication.  He will serve the state and the nation well as United States Senator.

Ladies and gentlemen, Senator Lincoln Chafee.

Lincoln Chafee takes the podium.

Thank you Governor.  I would like to thank Governor Almond, I love your first name by the way,  (laughs throughout the room), for the confidence he has shown in me in asking me to accept this responsibility.  It is a responsibility that I accept in all humility.  I shall work hard for the people of this great state, and their interests and concerns shall be at the top of my agenda.  What is best for Rhode Island and what is best for the nation shall be paramount as I serve the people in the United states Senate.

My experience and knowledge of the issues facing this state and facing this nation have prepared me well for this new responsibility.

My father has very big shoes to fill, and I shall dedicate myself to filling those shoes to the best of my ability.  Thanks dad for all the great work you have done for the people of this state and this nation.  I know that your great work will now continue in the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »

Thanks Dallas.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2010, 12:31:39 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

That was the press conference where Rhode Island Republican Governor Lincoln Almond announced the appointment of Lincoln Chafee as the new Senator for Rhode Island.

The Senate vacancy was created due to the resignation from the Senate of John Chafee, who is to become Secretary of Veterans Affairs in the Rockefeller cabinet.  Lincoln Chafee is the son of John Chafee.

Alex, what are we to make of this appointment?

Well, Bernie, the outcry over the appontment of Benson Rockefeller's son, Grayson Rockefeller II to fill the Senate vacancy when his father resigned from the Senate after winning the Presidential election no sooner dies down than John Chafee's son, Lincoln Chafee, is appointed to fill his father's Senate seat.

It must be remembered that John Chafee is one of Benson Rockefeller's closest political allies, as well as one of the President Elects' closest personal friends.  It is almost inevitable that comparisons will be drawn between the Chafee appointment and the Rockefeller appointment.  Comparisons like, was Governor Lincoln Almond influenced by Benson  Rockefeller and or by John Chafee?  Two sons appointed to the U.S. Senate, one the son of the most powerful Reublican in the country, and the other the son of one of the most powerful Republicans in the country.

I can imagine the Democrats will jump on this one.

Bernie.

Thank you Alex.

This is CNN.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #197 on: August 26, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »

This is CNN.

We now take you live to Richmond, Virginia, where Republican Governor George Allen is to announce the Senate replacement for former Senator Warner, who is to become Secretary of State in the new administration.

As you know, our great Senator, John Warner, will be assuming new and important duties as Secretary of State in the Rockefeller administration.  As Governor, it is my responsibility to name a replacement.  I am pleased to announce at this time that one time Virginia Attorney General Marshall Coleman will be assuming the duties as our new United States Senator.  Marshall is a dedicated and hard working public servant, with experience and ability.  Marshall.

Thank you Governor.  I am honored to to accept this responsibility in behalf of the people of Virginia.  The advancement of the interests of this state and the well being of this nation shall be priorities with me in the Senate..........

Alex, what do you make of this latest Senate appointment?

Well, Marshall Coleman has been around Virginia politics for a long time.  He was Attorney General of the state 1978 to 1982.  He was the Republican nominee for Governor in 1981, but lost out to Chuck Robb at the time.  Coleman was again the Republican nominee for Governor in 1989, and was considered to be the front runner until about two days before the election, taking a strong stand against abortion, losing many of the women's votes, and lost a very close election to L. Douglas Wilder. 

In 1994, Coleman ran as an independent for the United states Senate in the highly publicized race between Oliver North and Chuck Robb.  Coleman fared poorly, and North lost narrowly to Robb.

Something interesting about this Senate race was that Senator John Warner endorsed and supported Marshall Coleman over the official Republican candidate Oliver North.

First any role Rockefeller may have played in the Senate appointment in New York of his son was brought into question, than that of John Chafee in Rhode Island when his son was appointed to fill the Senate vacancy, now Warner in Virginia with the appointment of his friend Coleman to the Senate.

Did Warner have any influence in this appointment of Coleman to the Senate?  We simply don't know.

Thanks Alex.

This is CNN.  First in news.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2010, 11:36:56 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2010, 12:05:01 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN.

This just in.

North Dakota Republican Governor Ed Schafer has named Republican Wayne Stenehjem to the United States Senate, to fill the vacancy with the resignation of Senator Kent Conrad, a Democrat, who is to become Interior Secretary in the Rockefeller administration.

Senator Designate Stenehjem is a lawyer by profession, and is an experienced and respected politician in the state of North Dakota.  He was a member of the North Dakota House of Representatives from 1976 to 1979, and has been a member of the North Dakota Senate since 1980, serving as Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee since 1995.

Senator Designate Wayne Stenehjem is the brother of Bob Stenehjem, who is as well a Republican member of the North Dakota Senate.

With the appointment of Wayne Stenehjem, this represents a pick up of one Republican seat in the United States Senate, as he is replacing a Democrat.

This is CNN.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2010, 01:18:14 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN.  I'm Bernard Shaw, News Anchor with breaking news.

Republican Louisiana Governor Mike Foster has named Democrat Francis C. Thompson to the United States Senate, replacing Democrat John Breaux, who will become the new Secretary of Energy in the Rockefeller administration.

Alex, we understand you have background details on the new Senator and the background of his appointment.

Yes Bernie.

First of all, some background on Francis Thompson.  He comes to his new appointment with an impressive resume behind him.  He has been a member of the Louisiana House of Representatives since 1975.  He has a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science degree, as well as a Doctorate in Education.  He was a teacher from 1963 to 1965, leaving teaching to become Vice President of a manufacturing company from 1965 to 1972, following which he returned to teaching as an Assistant Professor of Education.

From 1968 to 1975, Thompson was an elected member of the Richland Parish School Board. He won a special election in 1975 to fill a vacant House seat in the Louisiana House of Representatives.  Thompson later won a full term to the seat.  Prior to his legislative years, Thompson worked in Baton Rouge for the Louisiana Department of Education from 1974 to 1975.  He was a member of the Louisiana Commission on Law Enforcement from 1973 to 1974.  Thompson has also been a member of the Southern Regional Education Board and the Education Commission of the States.  He has been active in the Retarded Children's Association and the Louisiana Mental Health Drug Advisory Council.

As to the details behind a Republican Governor appointing a Democrat to the Senate, the following details have been confirmed by the Rockefeller Transition Office.  President Elect Rockefeller met with Senator John Breaux and told him he wanted some bipartisan representation in the cabinet, and that he believed that he, Breaux, was the best candidate to become Energy Secretary, and invited him to join the cabinet.  After two days, Breaux met with Rockefeller again, and advised him that he would accept the appointment as long as his Senate seat was filled by a Democrat.

President Elect Rockefeller called Louisiana Republican Governor Mike Foster advising him of the situation, advising the Governor that he wanted Breaux in the cabinet.  Foster agreed it would be good for the country to have Breaux head up the Energy Department and agreed that he would appoint a Democrat to the Senate.

The rest, as they say, is history.

This Senate seat was a Democratic seat anyway, so the Republicans are not losing a seat here.

That you Alex.

In other news this hour..........
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies