Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:23:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold  (Read 27843 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »

1996 Republican primary results

Delware                         Rockefeller
Arizona                          Forbes
North Dakota                  Forbes
South Dakota                 Forbes
South Carolina                Alexander
Puerto Rico                    Rockefeller
Colorado                       Forbes
Connecticut                  Rockefeller
Georgia                        Alexander
Maine                          Rockefeller
Maryland                      Rockefeller
Massachusetts              Rockefeller
Rhode Island                 Rockefeller
Vermont                       Rockefeller
New York                     Rockefeller
Florida                         Alexander
Louisiana                     Alexander
Mississippi                    Alexander
Oklahoma                    Alexander
Oregon                       Rockefeller
Tennessee                   Alexander
Texas                        Alexander
Illinois                        Rockefeller
Michigan                    Rockefeller
Ohio                          Rockefeller
Wisconsin                   Rockefeller
California                    Rockefeller
Nevada                      Forbes
Washington                Rockefeller
Pennsylvania              Rockefeller
DC                            Rockefeller
Indiana                      Alexander
North Carolina             Alexander
Nebraska                    Forbes
West Virginia               Buchanan
Arkansas                    Alexander
Idaho                        Alexander
Alabama                    Alexander
Montana                    Alexander
New Jersey                 Rockefeller
New Mexico                Forbes

After a very tough and competitive primary season, Senator Benson Rockefeller of New York wins the Republican Presidential nomination, and sets right to work uniting the party, and running for President of the United States of America.     

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 09:48:57 PM »

This is CNN.

Good evening.  This is news anchor Bernard Shaw.

Senator Benson Rockefeller of New York has won the Republican Presidential nomination, and what is expected to be a very tough, hard hitting campaign for what has been called the most powerful political office in the world begins officially.

Senator Rockefeller and his running mate, yet to be named, will face tough competition in President Bill Clinton, and Vice President Al Gore.

Rockefeller is known for his sometimes confrontational and bombastic style, but he is also known as a politician who gets results, witness his achievements in negotiating peace agreements in the Middle East and Northern Ireland.  He was instrumental in leading the way for bringing forth legislation enacting what is widely acknowledged as an effective, affordable, and efficient universal health care plan.  He is also credited with opening the doors around the world to to innovative and effective free trade policies.

This should prove to be an extremely competitive and hard fought campaign.
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: -6.70

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 12:59:13 PM »

Ooh nice more please.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 01:04:30 PM »

Well, can't deny it's improved.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »

Thank you to the both of you for your comments.

Given the political dispositions of the GOP primary candidates, Rockefeller, Alexander, Forbes, Buchanan, are the primary results I have made realistic in your view?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »

I made peace efforst and deleted my spam here.

Now, either we'll live in peace or for every spam in Americana edition hardcore I'll respond with multiple spam, with Rochambeau and HoffmanJohn help Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 04:48:12 PM »

Now, either we'll live in peace or for every spam in Americana edition hardcore I'll respond with multiple spam, with Rochambeau and HoffmanJohn help Smiley

My my, you do have a very short memory, either that, or a short attention span.  In case you forgot, let me refresh your memory.  You and your friend have spammed this story many, many, many times already.

Deleted today? 

So, you like to spam other stories, however, you get very offended when a comment is made on your story.

Let that be a lesson to you and Hawkeye.  Two can play at your little game.

However, I will  refrain from commenting further in your story, and promise not to bring North America under my control.     
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 04:51:02 PM »

I wish all of y'all would stop complaining about this crap and start reporting it to Bacon King. He's said that if someone is spamming, flooding, whatever, your game, tell him, and he'll delete their posts in the thread. Grin
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »

My my, you do have a very short memory, either that, or a short attention span.  In case you forgot, let me refresh your memory.  You and your friend have spammed this story many, many, many times already.

Deleted today? 

So, you like to spam other stories, however, you get very offended when a comment is made on your story.

Let that be a lesson to you and Hawkeye.  Two can play at your little game.

However, I will  refrain from commenting further in your story, and promise not to bring North America under my control.     

Well, you can do nothing about our little funny game, just as we can't do anything about your attention whoring self-fest. Days ago, I abstained from spamming there and just noticed story improved. Peace and love!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 05:11:44 PM »

I have and have had a story line planned out, which has not been changed or altered in the least because of your incessant spamming.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »

Wonder, who'd be selected as Rockefeller running-mate.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 09:10:06 PM »

Ah, good thought.  That is one of the very next parts of the story.  I believe you, and most others, will be very pleased with Ben Rockefeller's selection.  Then again, maybe not.  I am not sure what anyone thinks of the selection that Ben will be announcing shortly.  Overall though, I believe it is a selection that will be widely favorable.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »

Ah, good thought.  That is one of the very next parts of the story.  I believe you, and most others, will be very pleased with Ben Rockefeller's selection.  Then again, maybe not.  I am not sure what anyone thinks of the selection that Ben will be announcing shortly.  Overall though, I believe it is a selection that will be widely favorable.

I'd have in his place one good choice, but I don't want to interfere.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »

Feel free to name your pick.  I was going to throw the VP pick out for suggestions anyway.  I just hope it is not the same one I will be naming.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 11:04:44 PM »

By mid May, 1996, Senator Benson Rockefeller was in possession of what he had been working toward his entire career, the Republican Presidential nomination.  He had beat off a determined challenge from three capable and tough competitors, Lamar Alexander, Steve Forbes, and Pat Buchanan.  Alexander in particular had proven to be a most formidable primary opponent.  Alexander's name was being bandied about in the press and on television news shows as a potential running mate for Rockefeller.

Rockefeller wastes no time.  From mid May, now as the presumptive nominee, he barnstorms the country, visiting every region, making speeches in venues large and small, appearing at state fairs, eating hot dogs, kissing babies, shaking hands, discussing issues with Americans across the country.   

At Rockefeller's invitation, following the conclusion of the primaries in mid June, the three primary opponents appeared with him in a show of unity at a huge rally in Detroit, Michigan, an important swing state in the coming election.  Governor John Engler introduces Rockefeller. 

Engler delivers a powerful endorsement of Rockefeller.

My friends, it is my honor and privilege to introduce to you today our nominee for President of the United States, Senator Benson Rockefeller.  Ben, welcome to Michigan. 

Cheers from the crowd.

When America called, Benson Rockefeller answered, putting his life on the line..........

America calls again, for strong leadership.  Benson Rockefeller is ready and able to provide that strong leadership this nation is in such need of today..........

Cheering and clapping. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the next President of the United States, Benson Rockefeller.

Cheering and clapping.

Governor, thank you so much for that introduction.  Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow Americans, I am Benson Rockefeller and I am running for President of the United States.

Wild cheering, clapping, and foot stomping.   

Rockefeller discusses issues, domestic and foreign, then plunges into the crowd, shaking hands and thanking people for coming.

Nice to see ya, thanks for coming.

After the Michigan event, the press and television news shows are talking about Governor Engler as a potential running mate.         

There is only one thing Rockefeller has been working harder to secure than the nomination, and that is the Presidency of the United States of America.  He is going all out.

Learning from past blunders by various Presidential candidates and would be  Presidential candidates, Rockefeller chooses his words carefully.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 06:21:22 AM »

Feel free to name your pick.  I was going to throw the VP pick out for suggestions anyway.  I just hope it is not the same one I will be naming.

My pick would be Dick Cheney, highly experienced and, until post-2000, respectable figure. I'm sure there would be a lot of chemistry between the two regarding foreign/defense policies. Also, Cheney had authentic conservative credidentials from his term in House balances moderate Rockefeller.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 09:53:03 PM »

Speculation is running rampant in the country as to who Rockefeller will pick as his Vice Presidential running mate.

Names being mentioned, Lamar Alexander, Richard Lugar, Phil Gramm, Steve Forbes, Governors John Engler, George Voinovich, Tommy Thompson, Tom Ridge, Jim Edgar, George W Bush, George Allen, Senator John Ashcroft, Congressman John Kasich, former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney, Senator John McCain, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Congressman J.C. Watts, among others. 

Rockefeller was asked about his pick on Meet The Press.

Senator, what kind of a Vice Presidential running mate are you looking for exactly?

I will pick someone who has not only the ability to serve capably as Vice President, but someone who has the ability to serve capably as President.  My selection will not be based on political expediency, but rather on who has the capacity for the job.

At the Rockefeller compound in Seal Harbor, Maine, Juy 22, three weeks before the Republican National Convention is to open August 12 in San Diego, Rockefeller is meeting with his most trusted advisors and friends, Senator John Chafee of Rhode Island and Senator John Warner of Virginia.

Rockefeller (speaking to John Warner):  John, I would like to thank you for heading up my Vice Presidential selection committee.  The information you have provided me has been absolutely invaluable in helping me make my decisiion.

I have made my decision, which I will share with the two of you.

Warner:  Absolutely top choice Ben.  I am very pleased, and I know the party and I am sure the nation will be as well.

Chafee:  I am most impressed.  Brilliant choice, brilliant.

Rockefeller:  The two of us will be appearing at a campaign rally one week from today, on July 29, where I will be making the official announcement.

Now let's have some dinner.             
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 04:43:45 AM »

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere... What are Rockefeller's position on abortion?

I'm asking because in case of him being pro-choice, there may be a problems with radical elements of the base. After all, in RL Buchanan threaten to run third party candidacy if Dole choose pro-choice RM.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 12:49:02 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 09:37:12 PM by Lincoln Republican »

July 29 in Charlotte, North Carolina dawned as a beautiful, bright, sunny day.

Thousands are gathered for the official Vice Presidential announcement from Senator Benson Rockefeller.  The event is being carried live by all the networks.  Local high school bands provide patriotic music

Benson Rockefeller takes the stand, to wild and enthusiastic cheering and applause.

My fellow Americans, thank you for joining us today, both those in attendance and those viewing these proceedings on television, thank you for being here and thank you for tuning in.

I am pleased to introduce to you today the next Vice President of the United States, Elizabeth Dole from right here in the great state of North Carolina.

Wild and sustained cheering and applause.

Elizabeth Dole and her husband Senator Bob Dole join Benson Rockefeller and his wife at the podium.  The four of them raise their arms in a victory gesture to the wild cheering of the audience.

Let me take this opportunity to pay tribute to the other half of the Dole team, Bob.  Senator Bob Dole has been a truly outstanding patriot and public servant, and this nation will always be greatful for his inumerable contributions to the betterment of our society.

Enthusiastic cheering and applause.

I am pleased and honored that Liddy, she has given me permission to call her that,

Laughter from the audience, from the Doles and from Diane, Benson's wife

that Liddy has accepted my invitation to join me on the Republican ticket.

Liddy Dole is a woman, an American, of outstanding achievement and accomplishment, experienced in government and leadership.

Liddy worked in the Department of Health, Education and Welfare during the administration of President Lyndon Johnson.  She has been an advisor to Presidents in various capacities, Deputy Assistant to President Richard Nixon for Consumer Affairs, and a member of the Federal Trade Commission.

Liddy has worked to reform laws to ensure equality for women.

Liddy served in the administration of President Ronald Reagan, first as Director of the White House Office of Public Liaison then as United States Secretary of Transportation.

Liddy then served as Secretary of Labor in the administration of President George Bush.

Since 1991, Liddy has been serving as President of the American Red Cross, directing the humanitarian and compassionate services of this outstanding organization.

In each of these capacities, Liddy has demonstrated outstanding leadership and accomplishment.  She will bring these same talents and abilities to the Rockefeller Dole administration.

My friends, my fellow Americans, I give you the next Vice President of the United States, Liddy Dole.

Wild cheering and applause, the band strikes up a patriotic number.  Elizabeth Dole takes the podium.

Thank you, thank you so very much for that overwhelming welcome.  And thank you Senator Rockefeller for that introduction.

I am honored to have been asked by Senator Rockefeller to be his Vice Presidential running mate.  

America needs Benson Rockefeller's proven leadership at this time in our history.  

Bob, thank you for standing beside me as we begin this campaign.

I will work as hard as is humanly possible to ensure that Benson Rockefeller is elected President of the United States.

I have witnesed leadership first hand throughout my years of public service.  I have witnessed the courage and the determination that Presidents are called upon in times of trial.  

I can tell you, Benson Rockefeller has those qualities of leadership, unlike the current occupant of the Oval Office.

My friends, my fellow Americans, come join with us in this campaign, and let us go forth with courage and confidence, committed to restoring decency and honor to our republic.

Thank you my friends, thank you my fellow Americans.

The band strikes up a patriotic number, and the Rockefellers and the Doles wave to the crowd.

Then Benson Rockefeller and Liddy Dole leave the stand and delve into the crowd, shaking hands and greeting people in the audience.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »

I admitt, I haven't thought about Liddy, but that's very solid choice as well.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »

The newly minted Rockefeller Dole ticket embarks on a whirlwind campaign tour, flying out of Charlotte, North Carolina on their campaign plane, now freshly painted in bold red lettering with ROCKEFELLER DOLE on the sides.

They head south with stops in South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and concluding the tour with a mammoth rally in Houston, Texas, where they are introduced by Texas Governor George W Bush.

At each stop, Rockefeller urges Americans

Break down this barrier that has existed in this nation for too long.  Liddy Dole takes a back seat to no one when it comes to possessing the qualifications and experience required for the Vice Presidency, and indeed, should occasion require, the Presidency.

Polls have consistently shown Rockefeller running ahead of Clinton among male voters and Clinton running ahead of Rockefeller among female voters.  Since the selection of Liddy Dole as Rockefeller's running mate, polls are now showing Rockefeller steadily increasing his share of support among female voters.

The Rockefeller Dole team are relentless in taking their message to the American people.  Before heading to San Diego where they will be officially nominated as the Republican ticket, they make campaign stops in Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, where they are introduced by Senator John McCain, and then Nevada.

They then fly into Los Angeles where they attend a giant rally,  being introduced by California Governor Pete Wilson.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2010, 10:54:12 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Rockefeller and Dole, with Rockefeller's wife Diane and Dole's husband, Senator Bob Dole, take a whistle stop rail tour from Los Angeles to San Diego for the convention.  They are met by huge, enthusiastic crowds at every stop between the two cities.

Upon arrival in San Diego, Rockefeller and Dole and their spouses get into a cavalcade taking them from the train to the hotel where they are staying.  It is a highly publicized event, and thousands are lining the route.  

Part way through the route, Rockefeller orders the cavalcade to stop, and he and Liddy Dole leave their limos, and begin greeting and shaking hands with people in the large crowd, Rockefeller on one side of the street, Dole on the other.  

Hello, nice to see you, thank you for coming......

What a beautiful city......

We hope we can depend on your vote......          

The crowd is pleased to see Rockefeller and Dole, and are impressed that they are meeting them face to face.  The crowd is excited, and starts chanting Rockefeller Dole Rockefeller Dole.

The candidates then switch sides of the street, and continue gladhanding and chatting up the crowd for the next thirty minutes.

This campaign tactic is judged a big hit, and becomes the top news story on the evening news casts across the country.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2010, 10:32:36 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

The Republican National Convention opens at the San Diego Convention Center, on the waterfront, August 12, 1996.

Amidst massive security, Senator Benson Rockefeller, his wife Diane, Secretary Liddy Dole and Senator Bob Dole, make their entrance to the convention in a large row boat, owned by a working class, Latino San Diego family, who rowed the boat themselves.  The family is given front row center seats at the convention to take in the proceedings.

Four speakers address the convention the first day, former First Lady Nancy Reagan, former President Gerald Ford, former President George Bush, General Colin Powell.

Former First Lady Nancy Reagan

..........As you all know, I am not the speechmaker in the family, so let me close with Ronnie's words, not mine. In that last speech four years ago, he said, "Whatever else history may say about me when I'm gone, I hope it will report that I appeal to your best hopes not your worst fears, to your confidence rather than your doubts, and may all of you as Americans never forget your heroic origins, never fail to seek divine guidance, and never, never lose your natural, god-given optimism."

Former President Gerald Ford

When I suddenly found myself President, I said I was a Ford, not a Lincoln.  Today, what we have in the White House is neither a Ford or a Lincoln.  What we have is a convertible Dodge..........

America desperately needs a leader of principle,  of proven integrity, an expert at building consensus, a commander-in-chief who has earned his salute, a President who would rather tackle tough problems than talk and talk and talk about them.  America needs President Benson Rockefeller and Vice President Liddy Dole..........      

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2010, 09:56:25 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 09:51:36 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Former President George Bush

Strong families and strong values are the backbone of America, and they are the heart and soul of the Republican party.  And families are also where leadership begins.  Leadership based on trust, values and character.  You know, as President, I worked hard to uphold the dignity and honor of the Presidency.  And I tried, as did my superb staff, to treat both the White House and the Presidency with respect..........

It breaks my heart when the White House is demeaned, the Presidency itself  diminished.  Benson Rockefeller as President will treat the White House with respect, his staff will be beyond even the appearance of impropriety, and in the process he will increase respect for the United States of America all across the world..........  

General Colin Powell  

Benson Rockefeller's life began at the family summer home in Maine, born to a family of wealth and privilege.  Just as poverty must not preclude anyone in this nation from serving the public, nor should wealth.  The values his family bred in him led him  to a distinguished career in public service, almost unequaled in the history of this nation, decorated war hero, Secretary of the Navy, Secretary of State, Governor of New York, United States Senator..........  

That's where I met him.  We worked together closely on matters that were vital to war and peace with respect to this nation.  When I was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and when I was National Security Advisor, the administration knew they could always count on Benson Rockefeller.  He is a man of strength, maturity and integrity.  He is a man who can bring trust back to government and bring Americans back together again.  He is a fighter possessed of endless energy, drive and commitment..........    

Benson Rockefeller is the candidate most qualified, by virtue of his beliefs, his character, his experience, and his competence to be the next President of the United States of America.  And I want you to know how very pleased I am that Benson Rockefeller had the great wisdom to pick as his running mate an incredible American, a woman of passion and conviction, a caring woman, a woman completely qualified for the Vice Presidency and for the Presidency, my friend, your friend, America's friend, Liddy Dole, the next Vice President of the United States..........            
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2010, 10:04:53 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2010, 11:42:19 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Tuesday August 13

Ohio Congressman John Kasich

Let me just say how proud I am to be a member of the Republican Congress, a Congress dedicated to deeds, not words. Instead of playing that old Washington game of saying one thing when you run for office and doing another after you're elected, or telling people what you think they want to hear, we've done something most people don't expect from politicians.

We are working hard every day to keep our word. From reforming welfare, to forcing Congress to live under the same laws as the rest of America... To making health insurance more available and affordable, to shrinking the size of the Washington bureaucracy, we told you what we we're going to do, then we did it..........

Oklahoma Congressman J.C. Watts

The American Dream is about becoming the best you can be. It's not about your bank account, the kind of car you drive, or the brand of clothes you wear. It's about using your gifts and abilities to be all that God meant for you to be. Whether your dream is to be a doctor, teacher, engineer, or Congressman. If you can dream it, you can do it. The American Dream is the promise that if you study hard, work hard and dedicate yourself you can be whatever you want to be.

Make America proud by Keeping the American Dream alive. You can do it. You are America's greatest resource. And... one more thing.... if a poor black kid from rural Oklahoma can be here tonight, this great country will allow you to dream your dreams.... too!..........

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies