Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:07:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold  (Read 27845 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
« edited: June 14, 2010, 11:43:18 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison

Benson Rockefeller will take the fork in the road that leads us to a better future - one leading to lower taxes, balanced budgets, better jobs, safe neighborhoods, respect for the White House, and a brighter future for our children. When his country called - Benson Rockefeller was there - ready to make the sacrifice. America is calling again.

It is time for a leader who will keep his promises. It is time for a leader who will bring back the values that built this country. It is time for a leader who loves America and will always be there to answer its call.

It is time for a President of the United States named Benson Rockefeller..........

New York Congresswoman Susan Molinari

It seems we have always counted on Benson Rockefeller to do what's right for all Americans,... and he's never let us down. Now. . . think about Bill Clinton. He promises one thing and does another. He hopes we will forget his broken promises. But I ask you: Have you forgotten that Bill Clinton promised a middle-class tax cut and then passed the largest tax increase in American History?  And have you forgotten that Bill Clinton promised to balance the budget first in five years, then ten, then nine, then seven --only to veto the first balanced budget in 25 years..........

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »

Wednesday August 14

Former Vice President Dan Quayle

Tonight, I'm here to join you in the fight to replace a failed president named Bill Clinton with a great president named Ben Rockefeller.

Remember when Bill Clinton raised taxes on the middle class? Remember that. Well, he said it was a mistake. It won't happen again. That's what he always says. Whitewater, it was a mistake. It won't happen again. Filegate, it was a mistake. It won't happen again. Travelgate. It was a mistake. It won't happen again.

President Bill Clinton. That was a mistake. It won't happen again.  Ben Rockefeller,  Liddy Dole, and the American people will see to that..........

Former U.N. Ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick

Americans will choose in November between men with very different views concerning the uses of American power.

Unfortunately, Bill Clinton and his administration do not understand how to protect and preserve American strength and credibility. For this reason, they make threats they do not carry out, they accept promises on which they never collect, they acquiesce in the mistreatment of American officials.

As when the Serbs shot down an unarmed American plane on a routine flight over Serbia but paid no price.

As when Fidel Castro's MIGs blew Americans piloting unarmed Cessnas out of the sky over international waters off of Florida, and paid no price.

Or as when the president simply accepts - without protest - Syria's insulting treatment of his secretary of state or China's threats to rain missiles on Los Angeles.

Benson Rockefeller notes with concern the spreading attacks against Americans in the World Trade Center, in Saudi Arabia, and perhaps on TWA 800.

Benson Rockefeller observes that when the United States loses credibility, the world becomes a more dangerous place. President Benson Rockefeller will use power very differently than Bill Clinton.

President Benson Rockefeller will not put American forces into conflict under United Nations command. He will not send them into harm's way with less protection than needed to insure their safety.

He will provide what is needed for their protection, and err always on the side of their safety.

He will not deny other people's weapons with which to defend themselves against aggression, as Bosnia was denied such weapons, nor acquiesce, passively, in the slaughter of civilians, nor send 20,000 American troops to provide the defense that adequate weapons and training could have provided long before.

Benson Rockefeller believes the first duty of the president is to provide for the common defense. For this reason, he will keep America strong. He will be a reliable and prudent ally, a wise and careful president, a strong and honorable leader, of whom all Americans can and will be proud..........

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2010, 10:47:19 PM »

Former Secretary of State James Baker

Four years ago this great country of ours stood at the pinnacle of world power. America had won the Cold War.Europe was once again whole and free.In the Middle East, the United States had liberated Kuwait and brought Israel and her Arab neighbors into direct peace negotiations.Elsewhere in the world, democracy and free markets, under American leadership, were on the march.Our allies trusted America's word. Our adversaries respected America's resolve.As the sole remaining superpower, we had an unprecedented opportunity to protect our interests and promote our values in a way never granted to any nation in human history.That was 1992. What a difference four years have made!

Four years of drift, not direction. Four years of rhetoric, not resolve.

Four years of flip-flops and photo-ops passing for a foreign policy.

Ronald Reagan understood the meaning of leadership when he declared that the Cold War could only be won through American strength.And, as he promised, the Berlin Wall came down and communism collapsed.

George Bush understood the meaning of leadership when he said that Saddam Hussein's aggression would not stand.And, as he promised, Kuwait was liberated and Iraq's army expelled.

Bill Clinton promised nothing- and delivered even less.

Presidents Reagan and Bush knew that America has a unique role to play in creating a more secure, prosperous and freer world.  And so, my friends, will President Rockefeller.

Ben Rockefeller understands that military strength is a necessity, not a luxury. He knows that the word of the President of the United States is the coin of our national credibility.We need a strong President one the American people can trust.We need a President the world can trust.

I have been privileged in my lifetime to serve three such men: President Ford, President Reagan and President Bush. And I can assure you that Benson Rockefeller is qualified to protect and extend their legacy of American leadership..........

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2010, 08:59:42 AM »

Political commentator Patrick Buchanan (who ran for the Republican nomination)

This election is about our future. It's about what kind of a nation we're going to be. Our Republican Party represents mainstream America. But be prepared, our Democratic opponents and their friends in the national media will try to portray you and me as radical.

Let me ask you. Is it radical to cut taxes for working families? Bill Clinton thinks it is. Is it radical to want to balance the budget? Bill Clinton thinks it is. Is it radical to offer parents choice in education? Bill Clinton, he's against parental choice.

Is it radical to try to reform the legal system and make it more efficient for all of us? Bill Clinton vetoed legal reform. Is it radical, is it radical, in the seventh or eighth month of pregnancy to protect the baby? Bill Clinton supports partial birth abortions. And how about my favorite, is it radical to ask Americans to live the family values that make our nation strong?

My friends, you're right. These are not radical positions. These are American values. Our values. And they are the values we need to move America in the 21st century. Strong, free and proud..........

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2010, 09:18:28 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2010, 10:07:23 AM by Metal Mario »

Political commentator Patrick Buchanan (who ran for the Republican nomination)

This election is about our future. It's about what kind of a nation we're going to be. Our Republican Party represents mainstream America. But be prepared, our Democratic opponents and their friends in the national media will try to portray you and me as radical.

Let me ask you. Is it radical to cut taxes for working families? Bill Clinton thinks it is. Is it radical to want to balance the budget? Bill Clinton thinks it is. Is it radical to offer parents choice in education? Bill Clinton, he's against parental choice.

Is it radical to try to reform the legal system and make it more efficient for all of us? Bill Clinton vetoed legal reform. Is it radical, is it radical, in the seventh or eighth month of pregnancy to protect the baby? Bill Clinton supports partial birth abortions. And how about my favorite, is it radical to ask Americans to live the family values that make our nation strong?

My friends, you're right. These are not radical positions. These are American values. Our values. And they are the values we need to move America in the 21st century. Strong, free and proud..........

Great strategy, Rockefeller's name isn't mentioned once in Buchanan's speech.  It looks like you did your research on this one.  Especially if Rockefeller is pro-free trade I expect him and Buchanan to butt heads in the future.......
Good job Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »

A detailed summary of Rockefeller's political positions on multiple issues would be welcomed.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2010, 09:59:03 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2010, 10:01:50 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Publisher Steve Forbes (who ran for the Republican nomination)

The American people realize this election represents a turning point. In three months they will decide the future direction of our nation. It's a decision to follow one path or another.

‘We the people' - the citizens of the United States - get to decide our next president...not the media, not Hollywood celebrities, not anyone else.

Benson Rockefeller will bring about the change that will create jobs and prosperity. He will lower taxes so our economy can grow. He will reduce government spending to strengthen our dollar. He will expand free trade so we can be even more competitive. He will lead us toward an America that will be independent of foreign oil.

This is the kind of change we need.

And he will keep us on offense against terrorism at home and abroad..........
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2010, 10:09:37 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2010, 10:28:39 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Great strategy, Rockefeller's name isn't mentioned once in Buchanan's speech.  It looks like you did your research on this one.
Good job Smiley

Thank you.

You know, I had to put Buchanan on the program because he ran for the nomination and does have a fair base of support in the party.  And Ben Rockefeller wants their votes.  Smiley 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2010, 10:23:51 AM »

A detailed summary of Rockefeller's political positions on multiple issues would be welcomed.

Yes, running against a smart, tough, experienced, ambitious, ruthless opponent, and equally so First Lady, ha ha, Ben will be looking to deliver a convincing and compelling speech at the convention, lying out his vision for America's future.

Only a couple more floor speeches left before Liddy and Ben take center stage.

I hope I can put this speech of a lifetime together.   
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »

It looks like the Republicans are focused on national security and foreign policy in this election.  I can only imagine that if the Olympic Park bombing happens like it did IRL (or even worse) how much of an effect that would have on the general election season.  It would seem perfect timing to have a campaign based around national security.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2010, 11:05:55 AM »

It looks like the Republicans are focused on national security and foreign policy in this election.  I can only imagine that if the Olympic Park bombing happens like it did IRL (or even worse) how much of an effect that would have on the general election season.  It would seem perfect timing to have a campaign based around national security.

Great point, and most observant.

I have tried to bring in the economy, family values, foreign policy and national security, but yes, national security seems to have been very important in this convention.

As you know, Ben Rockefeller has never been afraid to mix it up.  However, in his speech at the convention to the people of America, I believe it is important for him to remain above the fray, to appear as the statesman, the conciliator for which he is well known, the visionary leading America into the new century.

Or perhaps a combination of the political street fighter and the statesman, both for which he is known.

What do you think?

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:39 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2010, 10:24:47 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Arizona Senator John McCain nomination of Elizabeth Dole

With Liddy Dole as Benson Rockefeller's Vice President, we have two leaders who are firmly committed to efficient government, lower taxes, and a better America. Liddy Dole is a woman with a vision for America; a vision of optimism that's grounded in a fundamental faith in the American people and the human spirit.

How many times has Liddy Dole stood up for the less fortunate, advocated strong families, and compassionate conservatism?  What does this mean? It means hope ... It means growth ... It means opportunity ... It means a better America for everyone,  across every corner of America. It was Liddy Dole who led the fight on countless occasions for equality for all Americans, regardless of gender, race, or creed.

Liddy Dole is a messenger of optimism, a good and decent woman. A woman of integrity and compassion. A woman who cares deeply about all Americans..........

Liddy Dole's extensive experience, impeccable record of public service, and outstanding leadership abilities qualify her in no uncertain terms for the office of Vice President of the United States.  And, as Benson Rockefeller has stated on many, many occasions, Liddy Dole is qualified for the Presidency itself.

I am honored to nominate the next Vice President of the United States, Liddy Dole.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2010, 12:10:10 AM »

Former Tennessee Governor and former Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander nomination of Benson Rockefeller.

It is a deep honor for me to be asked by Senator Benson Rockefeller, the next President of the United States, to put his name in nomination.

As you know, Senator Rockefeller and I had our differences on the primary campaign trail, but one thing we have always agreed on is the necessity to end the drift in this country, and to provide this nation with the strong and decisive leadership needed at this time.  

And let me tell you, Benson Rockefeller is the one to provide that strong leadership.  I support Benson Rockefeller one hundred percent.

In America we celebrate the virtues of the man who does his duty without complaint or expectation of praise; the man who listens closely for the call of his country, and when she calls, he answers without reservation, not for fame or reward, but for love. He loves his country. Tonight, my friends, we come to celebrate such a man, and bestow upon him the greatest honor our Party is empowered to grant -- our nomination for President of the United States. But our purpose is not only to give tribute to this man -- though a fitting tribute it is. Our purpose is much larger than that. Our purpose is our country's greatness which we mean to preserve by offering to this nation the leadership of the man from New York. Tonight we ask Benson Rockefeller to answer his country's call again, and stand a post for America -- the first post of the land -- not for his sake, but for ours; not for his glory, but for the dreams we dream for our children, and for the dreams they will dream for theirs.

We nominate Benson Rockefeller for President because he is a man of honor, a man of firm purpose and deep commitment to his country's cause. We nominate Benson Rockefeller for President because this nation deserves better than the aimless direction we have endured for four years. We nominate Benson Rockefeller for President because we will not take our leave of this century without affirming to the world that America -- blessed, bountiful, beautiful America -- will remain what she has always been the last best hope of earth..........

It is my great honor and privilege to place in nomination as the Republican candidate for President of the United States of America, the next President of the United States of America, Benson Rockefeller.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2010, 12:27:53 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2010, 10:37:27 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Kansas Senator Bob Dole, husband of Elizabeth Dole

I'm going to be speaking tonight about the woman I love, who just happens to be the next Vice President of the United States.

Liddy comes from a family rich in values. Values like honesty, decency, respect, personal responsibility, hard work, love of God, love of family, patriotism - these are the values that led Liddy to a life of public service and to the betterment of the everyday American, man, woman, and child..........

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2010, 01:18:57 AM »

Diane Rockefeller, wife of Benson Rockefeller

I stand before you and before America tonight to say a few words about the man I love, my husband, Ben Rockefeller.

Now for the past several days a number of men and women have been painting a remarkable portrait of a remarkable man. A man who is the strongest and the most compassionate, most tender person I have ever known. The man who, quite simply is my own personal Rock of Gibraltar.

And tonight I want to put the finishing brush strokes on that portrait if you will.

I think the people Ben has been serving all these years in America deserve to know, they have the right to know, this is not a time to be silent. This is a defining moment, ladies and gentlemen, in our nation's history.

This election is about the vision and the values that will shape America as we move into the next century. It's about the character of the man who will lead us there.

Ben has dedicated his entire public life to helping the less fortunate.  And so Ben is going to protect and preserve and strengthen the social safety net, for those who need it. He's dedicated his life to making a difference, to making a positive difference for others because of his own experiences, whether it's on the battlefields in Vietnam, in the United States cabinet room, on the bench of the United States Supreme Court, in the New York Governor's office, on the floor of the United States Senate, or whether it's in his personal life, he's going to be making that difference for others.

I remember a Thanksgiving, oh probably three or four years ago, when Ben called up and he said, "you know Diane, I'd like to do something a little different this Thanksgiving."

He'd already put the plans in motion. And I said, well, Ben, what would you like to do? And he said, "well I've invited 35 young people from some pretty tough parts of Washington and their church sponsors to have Thanksgiving dinner with us."

Well he'd already reserved some places for us at a restaurant and he'd had them put in some televisions so the kids could watch the Redskins game. When I think of, what touched us so deeply, was after they finished their Thanksgiving meal and they'd finished watching the game, they began to talk about their life stories, and the common thread that ran through so many of those stories was that these kids until very recently had never heard anyone say, I care about you. I care about you.

Ladies and gentlemen, you didn't read about that Thanksgiving dinner in the newspaper or hear about it in the media, because Ben Rockefeller never told anybody about it. He did it from his heart. He wants to make a difference, a positive difference for others, because he cares, because that's who he is.

The hardest working public servant I know, a dedicated husband, father, and grandfather, who believes the greatest days of America are yet co come.

That's the Ben Rockefeller I know and that's the Ben Rockefeller I love.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2010, 10:42:35 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Grayson Rockefeller II, son of Benson and Diane Rockefeller and a member of the New York State Senate (named after his paternal grandfather)

Friends, fellow Republicans, fellow Americans, thank you for that warm welcome.  I would like to thank the convention organizers for giving me this opportunity to address you tonight.

Thank you very much.  And thank you for what you are about to do: nominate my father for President of the United States of America.  I think he just might accept.

In behalf of myself and my two sisters, Charlotte and Caroline, tonight I wish to say a few words about our dad, Benson Rockefeller.  

My dad taught me not to take myself too seriously.  Which is good advice.  But it is my great privilege to be his son.  So tonight -- I hope dad will forgive me if I overlook what he said... so I can tell you who he is.

My dad is a public man in a world where everyone feels qualified to offer opinions on the character of public men.  But I am one of Benson Rockefeller's three children.  I have a private window I can open for you.  And if I do... perhaps you, too, will see the man I'll always love.

When I close my eyes and call up the memories of my childhood, I feel the rock of my dad's love, his steadiness and the absolute certainty that he would always be there.  When I was scared on the roller coaster, he was behind me yelling:  "Yippee!"  After we got off the roller coaster, dad was buying tickets for a family of strangers.  He'd found the children crying because they couldn't afford to ride.  By example, more than words, I learned how to give of myself freely, and to be grateful to those who give to me.

Like so many American boys of my generation, my dad taught me how to ride a bike... and how to get up again without tears after skinning my knee.  He taught me to face down my math homework with determination and confidence.  And without any visible signs of panic... he taught me to drive.  He could teach me these things and much more because first he taught me to trust... and be worthy of trust, in return.  I could learn them because of a belief in myself that was born in his unwavering belief in me.

As a young man I stayed out too late...and slept too late...and occasionally broke some rules.  Which is how I can confirm that my dad is a man of discipline.  But I learned from my experiences on the outside of his will one of the most important lessons of all:  To hold in my heart a capacity for forgiveness.  To keep first in my mind the knowledge that almost everyone deserves a second chance.  My Dad taught me the importance of strength in success, and the nobility of strength in failure and, he taught me how to love.

I wish every child could grow up as I did, with a father he knew would love him without condition, keep him safe from harm, glory in his independence and drive deep in his soul an unshakable understanding of right and wrong.

I am the imperfect child of a great man.  I want with all my heart for him to be President.  But that will not elevate him in my eyes.  He could stand no taller than he does now.  I still see him from the perspective of his child at his knee, steadied by his sure grip on my hand.  He is my father, and that is the world to me.

Thank you dad, for giving me life, and teaching me how to live it with a good and open heart.  You have taught me how to find happiness, and my own fulfillment.  I, and my sisters, are so proud to be your children.

Thank you very much.  May God bless you, God bless my father, and God bless the United States of America. Thank you.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2010, 11:19:10 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2010, 08:25:09 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Acknowledgments to the 1980/1996/2000 Republican National Conventions.

Next up, Liddy Dole and Benson Rockefeller.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2010, 10:59:13 PM »

Thursday August 15, about one hour before Liddy Dole is to address the convention and the nation, Majority Whip Senator Don Nickles of Oklahoma takes the podium to make a surprise announcement.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a special announcement to make.

Before Liddy Dole takes the stand in about one hour from now to accept the Vice Presidential nomination, I am pleased to announce a special speaker at this convention.  North Dakota Democratic Senator Kent Conrad will now address this convention and the nation.

My friends, my fellow Americans, I am Kent Conrad, and I am a Democratic Senator from the great state of North Dakota.  I am a Democrat, and I will remain a Democrat. 

But I am a Democrat who is supporting Benson Rockefeller for President of the United States of America, and let me tell you why I have made this very difficult decision.  As a Democrat of long standing, this is a decision that I have struggled with for some time now, a decision that I have had to search the very depths of my soul to reach.  But I know in my heart the decision I have made is right for me, and I sincerely believe the right one for the nation.

I may have to pay a political price, but the future of the nation is much more important than the political career of one United States Senator.

For the past four years, this nation has witnessed a President devoid of moral leadership and a President who has brought unprecentended disrespect to the White House and to the Oval Office unlike anything we have ever seen before.  What kind of a messaage is that sending to our youth and our young people?

The economy is moving along well, and I have to be honest, it is mainly because of the measures put into place by the Republican controlled Congress.  I know.  I have been working in this Congress these past four years. 

President Benson Rockefeller will restore integrity and honor to the leadership of this nation.  He will strengthen the economy, and he will not veto a balanced budget.

My fellow Americans, my fellow Democrats across this nation, Benson Rockefeller is uniquely prepared, Benson Rockefeller is supremely qualified, and Benson Rockefeller is the strong President this nation needs leading us into the new century.

Thank you.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2010, 12:34:14 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2010, 10:52:48 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Elizabeth Dole, Vice Presidential Candidate

Mr. Chairman, delegates, and fellow citizens, I am honored by your nomination, and I am honored and privileged to accept it.  I thank you for giving such a warm welcome to Bob and me and our family.

And thank you Senator Conrad for the courageous step you have taken in supporting our candidacy.

And, my friends in the North Carolina delegation, I especially want to thank you for your support.  The love and support and enthusiasm of the people of my home state has buoyed my spirit and strengthened my resolve. We are going to win this election. We will prevail.

I have to tell you that I never expected to be in this position. For the past five years, I have been President of the American Red Cross, and it has been a privilege for me to be heading up this very essential service organization.  But now I am glad to be back in the arena, and let me tell you why.

I have been given an opportunity to serve beside a man who has the courage, and the vision, and the goodness, and the ability to be a great president, Senator Benson Rockefeller.  I have been in the company of leaders.  I had the privilege to campaign with President Gerald Ford and my husband Bob when they were the Republican ticket in 1976.  In President Ford, I witnessed true leadership up close in the man who led this nation through the gravest constitutional crisis since the Civil War. I saw how character and decency can dignify a great office and unite a great nation.

I served as a United States Cabinet Secretary when another man of integrity lived in the White House. I saw a president restore America's confidence, and prepare the foundation for victory in the cold war. I saw how one man's will can set the nation on a new course. I learned the meaning of leadership from President Ronald Reagan.

I served in the cabinet of President Reagan's successor. And I'm proud to say that I learned much from the example of President George Bush. I saw resolve in times of crisis...the steady hand that shaped an alliance and threw back a tyrant. He earned the respect and confidence of the men and women of America's armed forces.

I have been in the company of leaders. I know what it takes. And I see in our nominee, Benson Rockefeller, the qualities of mind and spirit our nation needs, and our history demands. Big changes are coming to Washington. To serve with this man, in this cause, is a chance I would not miss. This country has given me so much opportunity.

We will reform the tax code so that families can keep more of what they earn ...more dollars that they can spend on what they value, rather than on what the government thinks is important.

We can restore the ideals of honesty and honor that must be a part of our national life, if our children are to thrive. When I look at the administration now in Washington, I am dismayed by opportunities squandered. Saddened by what might have been, but never was. These have been years of prosperity in our land, but little purpose in the White House. Bill Clinton vowed not long ago to hold onto power "until the last hour of the last day." That is his right. But, my friends, that last hour is coming. That last day is near. The wheel has turned. And it is time. It is time for them to go.

Benson Rockefeller will repair what has been damaged. He is a man without pretense and without cynicism. A man of principle, a man of honor. On the first hour of the first day he will restore decency and integrity to the Oval Office. He will show us that national leaders can be true to their word and that they can get things done by reaching across the partisan aisle, and working with political opponents in good faith and common purpose. I know he'll do these things, because I have seen him do this in the United States Senate.

Benson Rockefeller entered public life with a clear view of what he wanted to achieve.

Benson Rockefeller does not accept old lines of argument and division. He brings people together, reaching across party lines to do the people's business. He leads by conviction, not calculation. You will never see him pointing the finger of blame for failure; you will only see him sharing the credit for success. That is exactly the spirit that is missing from Washington. In the last four years, that city has often become a scene of bitterness, and ill will, and partisan strife.

American politics has always been a tough business, even in 1787 in Philadelphia, when George Washington himself wondered if delegates could ever agree on a constitution. They did agree, as Americans always have when it mattered most, guided by the public interest and a decent regard for one another. But in Washington today, politics has become war by other means, an endless onslaught of accusation, a constant setting of groups one against the other.

We are all a little weary of the Clinton-Gore routine. But the wheel has turned. And it is time, it is time for them to go.

In this election, they will speak endlessly of risk. We will speak of progress. They will make accusations. We will make proposals. They will feed fear. We will appeal to hope. They will offer more lectures, and legalisms, and carefully worded denials. We offer another way, a better way, and a stiff dose of truth.

For four years, Clinton and Gore have talked about Social Security reform, never acting, never once offering a serious plan to save the system. In the time left to them, I have every confidence they'll go right on talking about it. Those days are passing too. There will be no more spreading of fear and panic, no more dividing of generations against one another, no more delaying and excuse making and shirking of our duties to the elderly. Benson Rockefeller and I, with the united Congress, will save Social Security.

For four years, Clinton and Gore have extended our military commitments while depleting our military power. Rarely has so much been demanded of our armed forces, and so little given to them in return. Benson Rockefeller and I are going to change that, too. I have seen our military at its finest, with the best equipment, the best training, and the best leadership. I'm proud of them.  And I can promise them now, help is on the way. Soon, our men and women in uniform will once again have a commander in chief they can respect, one who understands their mission and restores their morale.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are so privileged to be citizens of this great republic.

When you make the trip from Andrews Air Force Base via helicopter, as I have, over  DC and you look down on the city of Washington, one of the first things you see is the Capitol, where all the great debates that have shaped 200 years of American history have taken place. You fly down along the Mall and see the monument to George Washington, a structure as grand as the man himself. To the north is the White House, where John Adams once prayed "that none but honest and wise men may ever rule under this roof." Next you see the memorial to Thomas Jefferson, the third president and the author of our Declaration of Independence. And then you fly over the memorial to Abraham Lincoln, this greatest of presidents, the man who saved the union. Then you cross the Potomac, and  look upon Arlington National Cemetery its gentle slopes and crosses row on row.

I never once made that trip without being reminded how enormously fortunate we all are to be Americans, and what a terrible price thousands have paid so that all of us and millions more around the world might live in freedom.

This is a great country, ladies and gentlemen, and it deserves great leadership. Let us go forth from this hall in confidence and courage, committed to restoring decency and honor to our republic. Let us go forth, knowing that our cause is just, and elect Benson Rockefeller the forty-third president of the United States. Thank you.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2010, 08:56:53 PM »

Not to be impatient, but when Rockefeller will speak in person? I'd love to see outlined position on issues.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »

A distinguished African American woman takes the stage to a sustained and enthusiastic standing ovation.

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Coretta Scott King, and I am here tonight because I have a choice to make.

I am honored to stand here tonight to introduce a man of tremendous integrity, a man of proven action, a man of extraordinary ability, a  man of incedible intelligence, a man of uncommon experience, a man uniquely qualified to lead this nation.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to have been asked by Senator Benson Rockefeller to introduce him this evening.

When this nation called, Benson Rockefeller was there.  He has continued to be here for us, fighting for the rights of all Americans, regardless of their station in life, regardless of the color of their skin, regardless of their creed. 

I have a choice to make between a President who will bring honor and integrity back to the Oval Office or one who has degraded the very institution itself.

I have a choice to make between a President who will take firm action on the social issues facing us today or one who will continue to pay lip service to them.

I have a choice to make between a President who will protect this nation from terrorists or one who will not take the strong actions necessary to accomplish this.

Ladies and gentlemen, my choice is clear.

That is why I have come here tonight to address this convention and this nation, and to introduce Benson Rockefeller. 

I am proud to say that I stand solidly behind Senator Benson Rockefeller for President of the United States of America.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the next President of the United states of America, Benson Rockefeller.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2010, 10:26:40 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2010, 12:39:54 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Coretta Scott King leaves the stage to tumultuous applause.

The lights dim, giant screens are lowered, as a voice intones

Ladies and gentlemen, the life of Benson Rockefeller.

A film presentation proceeds to show the various stages of the career of Senator Benson Rockefeller.

A child in New York and Maine
High school graduation
University years, graduating from Yale in law
Marriage to Diane Rutherford
Work in the State Department
Navy service in Vietman
Secretary of the Navy
Practicing law in New York
Secretary of State
Attorney General of New York
Two term Governor of New York
United States Senator from New York
With family, wife, children, grandchildren
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »

I think the election map will be very interesting, if Rockefeller beats Clinton.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2010, 12:12:31 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2010, 12:36:25 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Senator Benson Rockefeller walks alone from backstage to the podium.  As he walks out onto the stage the thousands in attendance break out into an overwhelming standing ovation, with chanting of ROCKEFELLER, ROCKEFELLER, ROCKEFELLER!

Rockefeller takes the podium.

My freinds, my fellow Americans, thank you so much for that outpouring of support.  It means the world to me.  

With a deep awareness of the responsibility conferred by your trust, I accept your nomination for the Presidency of the United States. I do so with deep gratitude, and I think also I might interject on behalf of all of us, our thanks to San Diego and the people of California and to this city for the warm hospitality they have shown. And I thank you for your wholehearted response to my recommendation in regard to Liddy Dole as our candidate for Vice President.

I am proud to have Liddy Dole, a great American, a woman of uncommon and exceptional accomplishment and ability, as my running mate.  I've said it before, and I repeat it here tonight, in front of the nation, Liddy Dole takes a back seat to no one when it comes to being qualified for the Vice Presidency, and indeed, for the Presidency itself, should that occasion arise.

I pay tribute to my wife Diane and my family for standing with me throughout this long and tough campaign.

I am very proud of our party tonight. This convention has shown to all America a party united, with positive programs for solving the nation's problems; a party ready to build a new consensus with all those across the land who share a community of values embodied in these words:  compassion, family, work, neighborhood, peace and freedom.

More than anything else, I want my candidacy to unify our country; to renew the American spirit and sense of purpose. I want to carry our message to every American, regardless of party affiliation, who is a member of this community of shared values.

I will not stand by and watch this great country destroy itself under mediocre leadership that drifts from one scandal to the next, eroding our national will and purpose. We have come together here because the American people deserve better from those to whom they entrust our nation's highest office, and we stand united in our resolve to do something about it.

We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership at every level of government and in private life as well. The United States of America is unique in world history because it has a genius for leaders -- many leaders -- on many levels.

Three hundred and sixty years ago, in 1620, a group of families dared to cross a mighty ocean to build a future for themselves in a new world. When they arrived at Plymouth, Massachusetts, they formed what they called a "compact"; an agreement among themselves to build a community and abide by its laws.

The single act--the voluntary binding together of free people to live under the law--set the pattern for what was to come.

A century and a half later, the descendants of those people pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor to found this nation. Some forfeited their fortunes and their lives; none sacrificed honor.

Four score and seven years later, Abraham Lincoln called upon the people of all America to renew their dedication and their commitment to a government of, for and by the people.

Isn't it once again time to renew our compact of freedom; to pledge to each other all that is best in our lives; all that gives meaning to them--for the sake of this, our beloved and blessed land?

Together, let us make this a new beginning. Let us make a commitment to care for the needy; to teach our children the values and the virtues handed down to us by our families; to have the courage to defend those values and the willingness to sacrifice for them.

Let us pledge to restore, in our time, the American spirit of voluntary service, of cooperation, of private and community initiative; a spirit that flows like a deep and mighty river through the history of our nation.

As your nominee, I pledge to restore to the federal government the capacity to do the people's work without dominating their lives, while at the same time always maintaining the capacity to care for those in need.  I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely.

Make no mistake, I will not permit the safety of our people or our environment heritage to be jeopardized, but we are going to reaffirm that the economic prosperity of our people is a fundamental part of our environment.

We must have the clarity of vision to see the difference between what is essential and what is merely desirable, and then the courage to bring our government back under control and make it acceptable to the people.

It is essential that we maintain both the forward momentum of economic growth and the strength of the safety net beneath those in society who need help. We also believe it is essential that the integrity of all aspects of Social Security are preserved.  As President, I shall never abandon those in our society who are in need of help.

The federal government exists to serve the American people. On January 20th, we are going to re-establish that truth.

It is government's responsibility to set honest and realistic priorities in our policies and our budget and I pledge that my administration will do that.

We will make our cities and towns resound with the confident voices of men and women of all races, nationalities and faiths bringing home to their families a decent paycheck they can cash for honest money.

For those without skills, we'll find a way to help them get skills.

For those without job opportunities, we'll stimulate new opportunities, particularly in the inner cities where they live.

For those who have abandoned hope, we'll restore hope and we'll welcome them into a great national crusade to make America great again!

There is a rising economic power in the far east, China.  America must be competitive with our products and our technology worldwide.  We must open up new markets in China.  Leadership must come from the top.

I shall go to Beijing.

When we move from domestic affairs and cast our eyes abroad, we see a sorry chapter on the record of the present administration.

We are given weakness when we need strength; vacillation when the times demand firmness.

The Clinton Administration lives in the world of make-believe. Every day, drawing up a response to that day's problems, troubles, regardless of what happened yesterday and what will happen tomorrow.

The rest of us, however, live in the real world. It is here that disasters are overtaking our nation without any real response from Washington.

This is make-believe, self-deceit and -- above all -- transparent hypocrisy.

I'll tell you where I stand. I do not favor a peacetime draft or registration, but I do favor pay and benefit levels that will attract and keep highly motivated men and women in our volunteer forces and an active reserve trained and ready for an instant call in case of an emergency.

It is the responsibility of the president of the United States, in working for peace, to insure that the safety of our people cannot successfully be threatened by a hostile foreign power. As President, fulfilling that responsibility will be my number one priority.

National security must be front and center in any administration.  It has been too long ignored in the present administration.  I see more serious threats to America's peace and security in the not too distant future.  My administration will take immediate action to step up and bolster national security measures and procedures.  Upon taking office, I shall present to Congress the establishment of a Department of Homeland Security, which will coordinate all national security measures into one department, presided over by a cabinet level officer, the Secretary of Homeland Security.  This government reorganization will cut out duplication and red tape and will vastly speed up and improve the safety of our nation and our people from terrorist atacks.    

Of all the objectives we seek, first and foremost is the establishment of lasting world peace. We must always stand ready to negotiate in good faith, ready to pursue any reasonable avenue that holds forth the promise of lessening tensions and furthering the prospects of peace. But let our friends and those who may wish us ill take note: the United States has an obligation to its citizens and to the people of the world never to let those who would destroy freedom dictate the future course of human life on this planet. I would regard my election as proof that we have renewed our resolve to preserve world peace and freedom. This nation will once again be strong enough to do that.

This evening marks the last step--save one--of a campaign that has taken Diane and me from one end of this great land to the other, over many months and thousands of miles. There are those who question the way we choose a president; who say that our process imposes difficult and exhausting burdens on those who seek the office. I have not found it so.

It is impossible to capture in words the splendor of this vast continent which God has granted as our portion of this creation. There are no words to express the extraordinary strength and character of this breed of people we call Americans.

I believe that this generation of Americans today has a rendezvous with destiny.

Tonight, let us dedicate ourselves to renewing the American compact. I ask you not simply to "Trust me," but to trust your values--our values--and to hold me responsible for living up to them. I ask you to trust that American spirit which knows no ethnic, religious, social, political, regional, or economic boundaries; the spirit that burned with zeal in the hearts of millions of immigrants from every corner of the Earth who came here in search of freedom.

Some say that spirit no longer exists. But I have seen it -- I have felt it -- all across the land; in the big cities, the small towns and in rural America. The American spirit is still there, ready to blaze into life if you and I are willing to do what has to be done.

The time is now, my fellow Americans, to recapture our destiny, to take it into our own hands. But, to do this will take many of us, working together. I ask you tonight to volunteer your help in this cause so we can carry our message throughout the land.

God bless America.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »

Rockefeller receives a raucous and deafening standing ovation from those in the convention hall. 

He is joined on the stage by his wife, children, and grandchildren, as well as by Liddy and Bob Dole, Lamar Alexander and his wife, Pat Buchanan and his wife, Steve Forbes and his wife, in a show of unity.

Patriotic music plays and tousands of red, white, and blue balloons fall from the ceiling.

The Stars and Stripes is shown waving on huge screens.

Ben Rockefeller and Liddy Dole join raised hands in a sign of victory, waving to the enthusiastic crowd.

Instead of leaving by the stage exit, Ben and Liddy, with a phalanx of body guards,  plunge into the huge crowd, shaking hands and exchanging greetings.

Nice to see ya. 

How ya doin'? 

We're takin' this campaign on the road. 

Hope to see ya again.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies