Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 05:00:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold  (Read 27846 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2010, 10:21:04 PM »

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere... What are Rockefeller's position on abortion?

I'm asking because in case of him being pro-choice, there may be a problems with radical elements of the base. After all, in RL Buchanan threaten to run third party candidacy if Dole choose pro-choice RM.

For Kalwejt

Benson Rockefeller, although personally pro-life, does not publicly support a constitutional ban.  He believes the abortion issue is a loser no matter where you stand.  He does not hilite the abortion issue in any of his speeches. 

You will note he did pick a pro-life running mate, Elizabeth Dole.  He needs the Republican base in the election, while at the same time using his record to appeal to moderates.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2010, 05:08:54 AM »

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere... What are Rockefeller's position on abortion?

I'm asking because in case of him being pro-choice, there may be a problems with radical elements of the base. After all, in RL Buchanan threaten to run third party candidacy if Dole choose pro-choice RM.

For Kalwejt

Benson Rockefeller, although personally pro-life, does not publicly support a constitutional ban.  He believes the abortion issue is a loser no matter where you stand.  He does not hilite the abortion issue in any of his speeches. 

You will note he did pick a pro-life running mate, Elizabeth Dole.  He needs the Republican base in the election, while at the same time using his record to appeal to moderates.

Now I find that really doubtful and improbable.

So basically the character dodge the issue. You really believe he'd be able to do it? You really believe conservative base wouldn't press him on this? You really believe he wouldn't be literally harashed by activist and the media to say things loudly?

Not happening. Not in America, not in the Republican Party.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2010, 12:50:55 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Kalwejt, it is somewhat like the same sex marriage issue.

Most major Democrats in fact do not support same sex marriage, but they do not support a constitutional ban on gay marriage.  Most major Democratic candidates and office holders who do not support gay marriage do not in fact push this issue front and center.

The abortion issue is a lose lose situation.  Rockefeller, if pressed on the issue, states that he is personally pro life.  He does not become embroiled in a protracted debate with radical feminists on this issue.  You cannot win an argument with these Fem Nazis, so don't even bother trying.  They are completely unreasonable and obnoxious.

Rockefeller will do just fine on the abortion issue.  Who will the Republican base support, a Presidential candidate who is personally pro life, and who has a pro life running mate, or a Democratic candidate who is openly pro abortion?  Clearly, they will vote overwhelmingly for Rockefeller.  

Besides, abortion is hardly the defining issue in this campaign.        
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »

Besides, abortion is hardly the defining issue in this campaign.        

Oh yes, abortion is so hardly the defining issue, that in RL in 1996 Buchanan threatens Dole to run a third party bid if he dare to choose pro-choice as RM.

Sorry, but for a lot of Republicans that is an issue and stating "I'm just personally pro-life" wouldn't satisfy them.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »

There are more compelling issues in 1996 than abortion, the safety and security of the nation for one.

Rockefeller did not choose a pro choice running mate, he chose a pro life running mate.

Rockefeller's stand on abortion may not be what every conservative is looking for, however, it is infinitely preferrable to the stand taken by most Democrats, including Clinton.

Well, onward and upward.  The campaign continues.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »

There are more compelling issues in 1996 than abortion, the safety and security of the nation for one.

Rockefeller did not choose a pro choice running mate, he chose a pro life running mate.

Rockefeller's stand on abortion may not be what every conservative is looking for, however, it is infinitely preferrable to the stand taken by most Democrats, including Clinton.

Of course there were more important, real issues but, suprisingly, a lot of people don't care about real issues. And if you're think that a conservative base would let the character to go on with "I just personally oppose abortion"... well, what can I say? I think you're deadly wrong.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2010, 03:12:11 PM »

Of course there were more important, real issues but, suprisingly, a lot of people don't care about real issues. And if you're think that a conservative base would let the character to go on with "I just personally oppose abortion"... well, what can I say? I think you're deadly wrong.

Also, if this Benson Rockefeller is anywhere as "moderate" (LOL actually, Benson Rockefeller from what I remembered was a borderline liberal) on other issues like healthcare, the environment, iodine, pro-smoking ban, pro-tanning bed ban, I really don't see how the conservative base would be motivated (even with Liddy Dole) to go to the voting booths for someone who on the sum of things is probably more liberal than Clinton.  I mean from what I've read it sounds like the Reagan Revolution still occured.  So yeah, if this election revolves around security it better be because of a pretty dang bad attack on domestic soil enough to distract conservative Republicans from the fact that they are voting for a Mee-Too Republican.

Or perhaps this Rockefeller is different?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2010, 07:34:30 PM »

Friday, August 16, the day after the convention, Benson Rockefeller and Liddy Dole make a joint campaign appearance in San Francisco, addressing a huge 10:00 AM rally.

Dole:  We realize this is not the most fertile ground for the Republican Party, but we are here to change that..........

Rockefeller:  We will change the tone in Washington, from one of confrontation to one of cooperation..........

They are enthusiastically received.

Later that day, the ticket addresses a gigantic evening rally in Portland, Oregon..........

Dole:  I want to assure the military personnel here in Oregon and throughout this nation, help is on the way..........

Rockefeller:  The pundits are calling Oregon a swing state in this election.  My friends, I have a feeling that Oregon is going to swing our way on November 5..........

Laughter and cheering.

On Saturday the ticket meets with top campaign advisors in strategy sessions at the Rockefeller hotel suite in Portland, while on Sunday, the Rockefellers and the Doles attend separate church services, the Rockefellers in Seattle and the Doles in Eugene, Oregon.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2010, 09:22:26 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

The Oval Office, the Monday after the Republican National Convention ends, President Clinton meets with his trusted advisors.

Clinton:  That..........Rockefeller.  He's center left in getting elected as Governor in New York, and governs as an out and out liberal in the state for two terms.  Comes into the U.S. Senate as the champion of universal health care.  Actually succeeds in getting it passed.  Hillary wasn't happy, let me tell you.  Now, somehow, he manages to convince enough Republican primary voters he has their interests at heart, and wins the nomination.

I was hoping to be running against Bob Dole.  He would have been an easy target.  That Ben, he gets Bob out of the way by picking Liddy for VP.  Does he have no shame?  It really complicates matters when I have to run against someone as smart, as tough, and as ruthless as I am.

Ben has national, in fact, international recogntion.  He has a way of pushing himself front and center.  He's a master at manipulating the media for his own purposes.  Look at his visit to Auschwitz, his meeting with the Pope, his meeting with the Queen in the U.K., his visit with Billy Graham.  Each and every time he made sure the press was there to give his self serving media whoring maximum coverage.

Hillary and I were talking.  We thought about emphasizing the Rockefeller connections, wealth and power, and saying to the voters something like, now he wants the Presidency too.  Imagine what he would do with his family connections combined with the Presidency.

Morris:  I don't kow Mr. President.  That could be risky.  Knowing what I know about him, he would accuse you of personal attacks on his family and of desperaton.  Ben Rockefeller has a certain appeal.  Look at the post convention polls.  Rockefeller has taken the lead.  He's bombastic but he is a good speaker, some even calling his oratorical skills inspiring.

You would be better off emphasizing his record as a liberal Governor of New York and his less than conservative record in the U.S. Senate.  This might keep a lot of Republican voters at home.    

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »

Not hard to predict what's next.

1. Bad Boy Clinton tries to attack Rockefeller but outraged on these tricks Americans votes for Rockefeller in landslide regardless of any issues/ideology
2. Bad Boy Clinton does attacks and points out Liberal ideology of Rockefeller, but Rockefeller is the smartest man alive so he still wins

Well, Tom, I tried to read this, I really did, but you don't even want to listen even friendliest suggestion and criticism. So, since any talk ends with war with you, I'll just again put you on ignore. Enjoy yourself. If you're really attempting this to be serious story, not a parody, then I guess you failed again.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »

Kalwejt, you are entitled to your view, even it is completely off base.
defe07

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »

What if a third party candidate like Perot decides to run?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »

What if a third party candidate like Perot decides to run?

I have been debating whether or not to bring Perot into the story. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »

Ben Rockefeller in Iowa

The Clinton administration's view of the economy can be summed up in a few short phrases, if it moves, tax it, if it keeps moving, regulate it, if it stops moving, subsidize it.

Liddy Dole in New Mexico

The Clinton administration has the most extraordinary collection of talent and human knowledge that has ever gathered at the White House, with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »

Presidential Debate

Clinton:  The economy has prospered under my administration.

Rockefeller:  The economy has prospered because of the actions of the Republican controlled Congress.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2010, 10:37:46 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2010, 01:06:53 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Benson Rockefeller in Columbus, Ohio

Mr. Clinton, you have disgraced yourself, you have disgraced your office, you have disgraced your family and you have disgraced this country and it is time for you to go.  The voters will take care of that on November 5.  

Perjury, Obstruction of Justice, Adultery, and outright lies to his family, his staff, the congress and the country. This will be the legacy that our 42nd President will write into history - one he has forged in the fires of his deceit.

During his four years in office, Bill Clinton presided over the most corrupt administration in American history.  

Bill Clinton has been a President of the United States who committed felonies.

The Justice Department and even the courts were corrupted by the Clinton administration. Sweetheart deals for felons who kept quiet about Clinton scandals -- whether Whitewater or illegal foreign campaign contributions

Clinton has used foreign policy as a source of photo-ops and as distractions from his domestic scandals.

Clinton swept the catastrophic dangers of nuclear proliferation under the rug, especially in North Korea, along with freeing Saddam Hussein to develop nuclear and biological weapons in Iraq without any more inspections.

Clinton over-ruled his own military and intelligence experts to allow China to buy high-tech equipment that will enable them to reach American cities with nuclear missiles. That is perhaps his most chilling legacy. The satellite and missile technology obtained from Hughes by the Chinese army is critical for the design and manufacture of missile nose cones and electronic missile control systems. The technology clearly helped the Chinese army field a new generation of ICBMS, including the Dong Feng 31 missile, which can drop three nuclear warheads on any city in the U.S.

Bill Clinton has always been directed toward the advancement, the aggrandizement and the self-indulgences of Bill Clinton. His talents were never directed toward the "public good."

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2010, 10:14:06 PM »

Liddy Dole in Philadelphia

America, it's time to wake up to the reality of the Clinton Gore administration and their 

High - Taxing,
 Free - Spending,
 Promise-Breaking,
 Social Security-taxing,
 Drug-Coddling,
 Power-Grabbing,
 Business-Busting,
 Lawsuit-Loving,
 F.B.I.- Abusing,
 I.R.S.-Increasing,
 200-Dollar Hair-Cutting, although in all honesty Al Gore is innocent in this category 
 Gas-Taxing,
 Over-Regulating,
 Bureaucracy- Trusting,
 Class-Baiting,
 Privacy-Violating,
 Values-Crushing,
 Truth-Dodging,
 Medicare- Forsaking,
 Property-Rights- Taking,
 Job-Destroying friends.

And THAT'S just in the White House!

Isn't four years of Clinton and Gore long enough?

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2010, 10:44:36 PM »

Reform Party Presidential candidate Ross Perot in Atlanta

The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, the public debt should be reduced and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2010, 10:51:23 PM »

Green Party Presidential candidate Ralph Nader in Milwaukee

John D. Rockefeller wanted to dominate oil, but Microsoft wants it all, you name it, cable, media, banking, car dealerships.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2010, 10:53:32 PM »

Since I'm entitled to my opinions, your writing ability is declining, Tom. As much as were my criticism toward substance of your previous entries, they were actually well-written and longer. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2010, 11:15:36 PM »

President Clinton in St. Louis

I want to build a bridge to the 21st century in which we create a strong and growing economy to preserve the legacy of opportunity for the next generation by balancing our budget in a way that protects our values and ensuring that every family will be able to own and protect the value of their most important asset, their home.

Tonight, let us proclaim to the American people we will balance the budget, and let us also proclaim we will do it in a way that preserves Medicare, Medicaid, education, the environment, the integrity of our pensions, the strength of our people.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »

Since I'm entitled to my opinions, your writing ability is declining, Tom. As much as were my criticism toward substance of your previous entries, they were actually well-written and longer. 

PolCon, I thought you were putting me on ignore.  But, I have to agree with you somewhat, and must admit, I have been encountering a bit of a writer's block of late.  I have had a lot of things going in my life lately.

Therefore, I shall be moving into the election returns phase of this story shortly, I hope within the next day or two.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2010, 06:39:30 AM »

BTW, no presidency, right?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2010, 08:48:50 AM »

PolCon, I thought you were putting me on ignore.  But, I have to agree with you somewhat, and must admit, I have been encountering a bit of a writer's block of late.  I have had a lot of things going in my life lately.

Therefore, I shall be moving into the election returns phase of this story shortly, I hope within the next day or two.

I was going to, but I decided against.

My friendly advice: when you have writer's bloc, don't force yourself to write and post at all costs. Who said you need to update it now?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »

I was going to, but I decided against.

My friendly advice: when you have writer's bloc, don't force yourself to write and post at all costs. Who said you need to update it now?

Seconded.

This is good, Winfield - but if you ever feel like you're pushing yourself to write an update, it's better just to put it on ice until you've got the drive.

In any event, looking forward to 96.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies