Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:34:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold  (Read 27916 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2010, 07:47:43 PM »
« edited: July 27, 2010, 09:49:14 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Monday November 11

Benson and Diane Rockefeller attend New York City Veterans Day services, and are welcomed by Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

We are delighted to have in attendance here today President Elect Benson Rockefeller and Mrs. Diane Rockefeller.  Welcome.

The President Elect and Mrs. Rockefeller will participate in the proceedings today by laying a wreath in honor of our fallen soldiers and President Elect Rockefeller will deliver a speech for this occasion.

Mayor, honored guests, fellow citizens, my fellow Americans, thank you so very much for inviting us here today to participate in these proceedings.

On this cold autumn day, in this hallowed place of honor, we gather to convey our nation's gratitude for those who risked their lives for the land, the people, and the ideals they loved. At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the guns fell silent and the First World War drew to an end. Ever since, Americans have set aside November 11th to honor our veterans whose footsteps set the pace of freedom's march.

From our fiery birth in 1776 to freedom's latest triumphs in the Persian Gulf, America's veterans have always answered the call and given their all whenever tyrants and despots imperiled freedom and democracy. They called World War I “the war to end all wars,” but that was not to be. The Earth was engulfed a second time and Americans rose up again to defend their homeland and liberate two continents. Fifty years later the memorial to World War II veterans is all around us, an America strong and proud, her proud example lighting the way to liberty.

And yet even with that war's end, freedom's work was not complete. First in Korea and then in Vietnam, two more generations of Americans responded with determination and vigor. And today, on this Veterans Day, we owe a special debt to the men and women of Desert Storm. They went proudly, willingly, on a mission of high principle and noble purpose to defeat aggression and defend freedom. They freed a captive nation and set America free by renewing our faith in ourselves.

And in this victory America rallied behind those who served in Desert Storm, and in a wonderful way, they rallied behind those who so proudly served in Vietnam. It was long overdue, and it was good for the nation's soul. America holds a special place in history. As we preserved and strengthened our own democracy, we've sought to extend the blessings of liberty throughout the world. The ideals on which this great Nation was founded have taken root in new and fertile lands.

In the Western Hemisphere, 98 percent of the people now live in democracies. In Africa, people line up to vote as one-man states collapse. Europeans, East and West, unite in ways never thought possible. Age-old enemies of the Middle East finally sit face to face to seek an end to their bitter strife.  And the time is coming when the last few totalitarian states will fade into historical oblivion.

The United States will always be a force for peace in the world. But the peace we seek is a real peace. The triumph of freedom, and prosperity, not merely the absence of war. We can never know which war will be the last. But we take as our hope the prophecy of Isaiah, that “nations shall not lift sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.” And yes, we hope, we pray, that as the years progress, the face of war will recede into our distant memory. But the memory of our veterans and their sacrifice will never fade.

President Coolidge said long ago, “The nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.” We will not forget. America will not forget. We will not forget those who died. We will not forget those who do the hard work of freedom every day. And we will never forget the POW's and the MIA's yet to be accounted for.

A year from now, 100 years from now, citizens will come here on November 11th to remember. And yet we cannot confine our obligation to a single day. We must always remember the importance of preparedness and the high cost of liberty.

For more than 50 years, 24 hours a day, a lone sentinel has kept a silent vigil aside the Tomb of the Unknowns. And recently, one of the outstanding men who guard the tomb was asked what is it like here at night, alone, in the quiet of this place. And he said he felt a kinship to the men resting here; that this was where he wanted to be, here to honor his comrades and all they represent. “Sometimes,” this young PFC said, “The rain streaks in your eyes or your fingers go numb from cold, but then I think about what they suffered through. And after that my duty doesn't seem hard at all.”

There's a poem the honor guards learn that says it all. “You are guarding the world's most precious gifts. You, you alone, are the symbol of 250 million people who wish to show their gratitude. And you will march through the rain, the snow, and the heat to prove it.”

To the men and women of our Armed Forces and to all our veterans, know that you have your country’s gratitude on Veterans Day and every day of the year. And may God Bless America and the veterans who keep her free.

Thank you very much.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2010, 11:38:47 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2010, 11:48:01 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Tuesday, November 12, one week after the election, President Elect Rockefeller makes the following statement from his transition office in DC at a press conference.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming here today.

In order to be able to dedicate my full time to the transition, I have today submitted my resignation as United States Senator from the state of New York.  This resignation takes effect immediately.  Vice President Gore, who is the President of the Senate, and Governor Pataki have been officially advised in this matter.

It has been my privilege and honor to serve the people of New York and the people of the United States as a member of the Senate since 1989.

It has as well been my privilege and honor to serve with so many dedicated and capable public servants, my fellow Senators.  I will always appreciate the cooperation that I received from other Senators in both parties in moving forward legislation for the good of the nation.  As President, I will be taking this spirit of cooperation into the White House with me, as a guiding principle in reaching across party lines, working across the aisle, working in harmony with members of my own party, and coming to common concensus  in order to better expedite the people's business.

Mr. President Elect, we understand that while you were in Albany last week you visited with Governor Pataki.  Can you advise us as to the essence of your discussion with the Governor, and did you discuss with the Governor possible replacements to fill this Senate vacancy?

Yes, I did meet with Governor Pataki.  I intend to meet with all the Governors one on one over time.  The Governors play a vital role in this country in determining the direction the states, hence the nation, to some extent, will be taking in the future.

The ultimate decision as to who will replace me in the Senate will be made by Governor Pataki.  I am not in a position to discuss this matter beyond that.  This decision will be made by the Governor, not me.

Mr. President Elect, do you have any concerns that some of the more conservtive members of your own party may not be as cooperative as you might like, given your moderate to even liberal record as a Governor and as a Senator?

As President, my aim will be to work with a united Congress, not a divided one.  Where we have concensus, we will move forward.  Where we have areas of disagreement, we will discuss them openly, honestly and frankly.  I will be reaching out to all Congressional members of my party, regardless of ideology, as well as to Democrats, in order to get the work of the nation done.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen for coming here today.    

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2010, 10:53:20 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN.  I'm Bernard Shaw, CNN News Anchor.

Tonight, in our first segment, we will be discussing the 1996 Presidential election, from the perspective of a political pollster.

Tonight, we have as our guest contributor prominent political pollster and analyst Preston Salisbury.  

Welcome to the program Preston.

Thanks Bernie.  Great to be here to discuss this fascinating election.

Preston, can you review your numbers for our viewers, and explain what it was that led to the Rockefeller victory.

Bernie, this election attracted record turnouts across the country.  Out of a total of over 100,000,000 votes cast, Benson Rockefeller and Liddy Dole finished with an edge of slightly more than just 300,000 in the popular vote over Bill Clinton and Al Gore.  Extremely close.

When we look at the vote breakdown, we find some fascinating numbers.

Men favored Rockefeller over Clinton 54% to 43%
Women favored Clinton over Rockefeller 52% to 45%

Bernie, a huge reason for the Rockefeller victory is due to women voters, who supported Rockefeller in larger numbers than they normally would have in a close election.  The reason?  Two words, Liddy Dole.  It was Dole who attracted a larger percentage of women to the Republican ticket.  

White voters favored Rockefeller 55% to 42% for Clinton.  True to form in Presidential elections.  

However, what is fascinating is the black vote.  The Democrat normally enjoys a 90% to 9 or 10% for the Republican.  However, in this election, Rockefeller attracted a full 13% of the black vote, a phenomenal showing for a Republican.  Clinton received 86% of the black vote.  You look at these numbers, and they gave Rockefeller a real boost.  The very public endorsement by Coretta Scott King for Rockefeller helped these numbers along considerably.

Bernie, North Carolina went for Rockefeller by a relatively narrow margin, while Clinton virtually swept the rest of the south, with the notable exception of Virginia.  I have been saying for some time, as you know, that if there was any state in the south that would go for Rockefeller it would be Virginia.  But I am of the strong opinion that North Carolina, in an election such as this, where Clinton was sweeping the south, would as well have gone for Clinton, but for one reason.  Liddy Dole.  Time after time, the reason voters were voting for Rockefeller was because Liddy Dole was on the ticket.  Without North Carolina in the Rockefeller column, Clinton wins the election.

Bernie, by picking Liddy Dole for Vice President, Benson Rockefeller is either the shrewdest politician in the country, or the luckiest.  His selection of Dole was either political inspiration, or the biggest streak of good luck any Presidential nominee has had in generations.  Liddy Dole was responsible for Rockefeller winning North Carolina.  Rockefeller owes Liddy Dole big time.

Preston, thank you so much for being with us tonight.  

My pleasure Bernie.            
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2010, 08:22:53 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2010, 08:58:22 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN.  I am CNN News Anchor Bernard Shaw.

We now take you live to the New York state capitol in Albany, where Governor George Pataki is to make an important announcement.

Good afternoon ladies an gentlemen.  Thank you for joining us here today.

As you know, former Senator, now President Elect Benson Rockefeller has resigned from the United States Senate as a Senator from New York, in order to devote his full time to the transition.  I would like to personally thank President Elect Rockefeller for his outstanding service to this state and to this nation during his many years of public service, as Governor and as Senator, as well as the other public offices he has served in, and I look forward to working with President Rockefeller in the months and years ahead.

Upon the resignation of the President Elect from the United States Senate, this of course creates a vacancy, which is my responsibility and constitutional duty to fill.  I have reviewed the qualifications and experience of many individuals who have the potential to fill this vacancy and who would make outstanding Senators to represent the great state of New York in the United States Senate.

Following a very in depth selection process, I have decided on a replacement, taking into consideration experience, capability, knowledge, and dedication to public service.  Ladies and gentlemen, I am very pleased to introduce to you the next United States Senator for the state of New York, State Senator Grayson Rockefeller II.

At that point, New York State Senator Grayson Rockefeller II, the son of President Elect Rockefeller, walks to the podium with is wife, hand in hand, and stands to the right of Governor Pataki.

Senator Grayson Rockefeller is a very talented, intelligent, capable, and dedicated public servant.  He has proven his leadership and abilities in the New York State Senate.  He has brought opposing factions together to work on, and to pass legislation that was in the best interests of the people of New York.  

Grayson Rockefeller is a lawyer by profession, and before being elected to the State Senate, he has represented many New Yorkers in court and in other cases, and Grayson will not tell you this, but I will, he has represented many, many people free of charge, who could not afford the services of a good attorney.        

Senator, the podium is yours.

Thank you Governor, and thank you for that very kind introduction.  First of all, let me say, that I am indeed humbled and honored to accept this sacred trust to represent the wonderful people of the great state of New York in the United States Senate.  Thank you Governor for affording me this tremendous opportunity and responsibility, and believe me, I take this responsibility very sriously.  

The best interests of the people of the state of New York and of this nation will always be first and foremost and top of mind as I serve in the United States Senate.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you very much.              
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2010, 09:53:48 AM »

Reporters at the Senate announcement have some questions for the Governor and the new Senator.

Governor, did you discuss the appointment of Grayson Rockefeller at all with President Elect Benson Rockefeller before making the selection and before making this announcement?

The President Elect and I did meet after his speech at the New York State Assembly on November 9.  This is a matter of public record.  Mr. Rockefeller advised me that he would be resigning from the United States Senate on November 12, which he did with his announcement on that date.  Of course, as Mr. Rockefeller was a member of United States Senate from New York, and was running for President, with a reasonable chance of winning the Presidency, I began the deliberation process months ago as to who would be the best candidate to replace Mr. Rockefeller in the United States Senate, should he win the Presidency.  So this is not a process that I just began on November 6.  This process began months ago.

I can tell you that the President Elect did not influence me in any way in the selection of State Senator Grayson Rockefeller to become the new Senator from New York.  The decision was mine and mine alone.

Senator Rockefeller, congratulations on your appointment.  As a member of the United States Senate, if you find yourself in a position where you fundamentally disagree with your father, the President, on an issue, will this present you with a conflict?

Thank you for your congratulations on my appointment.  Much apreciated.  To answer your question, should there be areas of disagreement between me as a United States Senator and my father as the President, I will always side with what I believe to be in the best interests of the people of the state of New York and of the people of the United States.

Senator Rockefeller, do you consider yourself to be the most qualified candidate to fill this Senate vacancy?

Boy, you get right to the heart of the matter, don't you.

Laughs from the Senator, Governor, press, and the others in attendance.

Well, apparently Governor Pataki does, as he glances over to Pataki, smiling.

Laughs from the Senator, Governor, press, and the others in attendance.

Let me say, there are many New Yorkers who could and would make excellent Senators for this state.

However, as I said, I am honored to accept this responsibility.  I believe that my experience, background and knowledge of the issues facing this state and this nation give me the background to be an effective voice for the people of New York in the United States Senate.

Senator, do you believe that the President Elect resigned at this time from the Senate in part so the new Senator from New York would have seniority over the newly elected Senators who will take office in January?

The President Elect resigned from the Senate in order, as he said, to dedicate his time to the transition.  The fact this provides me with seniority over newly elected Senators is a bonus.

Laughs from those in attendance.

Governor Pataki takes the podium.

Thank you Senator Rockefeller.  Thank you members of the press, and thank you to all those in attendance today.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2010, 11:20:24 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2010, 09:54:52 PM by Never forget a Republican freed the slaves »

Alabama Democratic Senator Howell Heflin is asked by reporters his view of the Grayson Rockefeller appointment to the Senate.

Ah've known Ben Rockefella a long, long tyme, goin' back to the days when ah was a law professer, goin' back to the tyme he was in cabinet, and servin' with him in the Senate, and ah know how he operates.  

Ben Rockefella has a knack for gettin' what he wants, and as sure as ah'm standin' here in front of ya'all, Ben Rockefella was behynd the appointment of his son, Grayson, to the U.S. Senate.  Ah'm sure of it.

Now, don't get me wrong, Grayson is a very smart and savvy young man, tho' we don't need anotha northeast librul in the Senate, but he has the ability to do well in the Senate, but his dad, the next President, ah know had a lot to do with his appointment.

This is blatant cronyism ladies and gentlemen, blatant cronyism.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2010, 11:10:08 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Good evening, this is CNN news.  I'm Bernard Shaw, News Anchor.

Today in the news, Alabama Democratic Senator Howell Heflin lashes out at the Grayson Rockefeller appointment to the United States Senate, to fill the New York Senate vacancy of his father, Benson Rockefeller, who will become President in January.

In a heated exchange today on Capitol Hill, Senator Heflin accused President Elect Rockefeller of blatant political interference in the selection of his son Grayson to fill the Senate vacancy.

On Capitol Hill in Washington DC, in the Senate lobby, we go to our reporter, Penelope Rodriguez, who was at the Heflin event today.

Penelope, what do you believe was behind the Heflin criticism today?

Bernie, as the Senator said, he has known President Elect Rockefeller for a long time.  He says he knows how  Benson Rockefeller works, and that he is convinced that he was behind this appointment.  

Here is footage of the Heflin statement.

Bernie, Senator Heflin was obviously agitated  by what he believes to be political interference on the part of President Elect Benson Rockefeller.

The President Elect has not yet taken office, and thanks to the Heflin statement today, is already embroiled in political controversy.

Bernie.

Thanks Penelope.

We will continue to follow this story as it unfolds.

In other news..........
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2010, 03:29:08 PM »

Just asking (so don't agressive as usual Tongue): in TTL Heflin haven't retired in 1996?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »

Just asking (so don't agressive as usual Tongue): in TTL Heflin haven't retired in 1996?

Kalwejt, thank you for the question.

In this TL, as in real life, Heflin is in his last term as a U.S. Senator.  He leaves the Senate in January of 1997.  But in November, 1996, of course, he is still a sitting Senator, and he is firmly convinced that Benson Rockefeller influenced Governor Pataki to appoint Grayson Rockefeller to fill the Senate vacancy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »

In this TL, as in real life, Heflin is in his last term as a U.S. Senator.  He leaves the Senate in January of 1997.  But in November, 1996, of course, he is still a sitting Senator, and he is firmly convinced that Benson Rockefeller influenced Governor Pataki to appoint Grayson Rockefeller to fill the Senate vacancy.

Btw, I wonder if you could provide a list of Senators, or better (since making such list is annoying and I abandoned this in my TLs long ago) tell us if there are any notable personal changes TTL?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2010, 11:24:50 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2010, 11:26:41 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

In this TL, as in real life, Heflin is in his last term as a U.S. Senator.  He leaves the Senate in January of 1997.  But in November, 1996, of course, he is still a sitting Senator, and he is firmly convinced that Benson Rockefeller influenced Governor Pataki to appoint Grayson Rockefeller to fill the Senate vacancy.

Btw, I wonder if you could provide a list of Senators, or better (since making such list is annoying and I abandoned this in my TLs long ago) tell us if there are any notable personal changes TTL?

Kalwejt.  Thank you for your question.

I  will be pleased to provide more details as to the Senate and personnel changes.  This will be done sometime during the first week in August.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: August 01, 2010, 11:55:32 AM »

The day following the statement from Alabama Democratic Senator Howell Heflin, in which he accused President Elect Benson Rockefeller of interference in the appointment of his son, Grayson Rockefeller II,  to fill the New York Senate vacancy, the President Elect's Transition Office releases the following statement.

President Elect Rockefeller wishes to express to the nation and in particular to Senator Heflin that he has long held Senator Heflin in the highest regard, for his intelligence, his hard work and dedicated service during his many years in both his private and in his public life, and for his invaluable contributions to the people of the great state of Alabama and to the people of the nation.  The President Elect continues to hold Senator Heflin in the highest regard.   

President Elect Rockefeller respects the right of Senator Heflin to voice his strongly held views in the matter of the New York Senate appointment, as he respects the right of all Americans to express their views in any matter.

President Elect Benson Rockefeller would like to reiterate what he, and what Governor Pataki have said previously, that the appointment of the President Elect's son, Grayson Rockefeller II, to fill the New York Senate vacancy, was the decision of Governor Pataki, and was his and his alone.

The appointment of New York State Senator Grayson Rockefeller II to the United States Senate was based on the merits and qualiications of Grayson Rockefeller II, and not on his relationship to the President Elect.

In light of the fact that Senator Heflin will be stepping down as a United States Senator in January of 1997, the President Elect, along with his wife, Diane, and their family, express their sincere best wishes to Senator Heflin and to his family on his retirement, and wish him many happy and productive years ahead.

Signed
President Elect Benson Rockefeller
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2010, 12:18:44 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2010, 10:14:08 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

North Carolina Republican Senator Jesse Helms wades into the New York Senate appointment controversy.

As ya all know, ah did not support Benson Rockefella for the Republican nomination, but ah did support him for President when he won the nomination.  Ah campaigned hard for him and for my fella North Carolinian Liddy Dole throughout North Carolina and in other parts of the south.

Ah am somewhat dismayed that my fella Senator Howell Heflin from the great state of Alabama would drag the President Elect's integrity through the mud like this, over the appointment by Govena Pataki of Grayson Rockefella II to fill the New York Senate vacancy.

Ah may not agree with everything that Benson Rockefella says or does, but ah do not believe for a moment that he unduly influenced Govena Pataki to appoint Grayson to the Senate.

Ah am disappointed in my good friend Senator Heflin for makin this unwarranted accusation.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2010, 05:14:14 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN.  I'm Bernard Shaw, News Anchor.

Today, in the continuing controversy over the appointment by Governor George Pataki  of Grayson Rockefeller II to fill the New York Senate vacancy, created by the resignation of his father, President Elect Benson Rockefeller, there are two developments.

Earlier today, the Transition Office of the President Elect issued the following statement in response to the criticism about the appointment from Alabama Democratic Senator Howell Heflin.  

(Transition Office statement read)

A couple of hours later, in response as well to the Heflin criticism, North Carolina Republican Senator Jesse Helms strongly defended the President Elect in a statement.  Here is the footage of Senator Helms making his statement.

(Footage of the Helms statement played)

We have with us one of our main political correspondents, Peter Hampton.

Peter, what do you make of these statements, following the Heflin remarks?

Bernie, the statement from the Transition Office was very well worded and very conciliatory in tone, praising Senator Heflin for his many years of service to Alabama and to the nation, while at the same time stating very clearly that the decision on the appointment was the choice of Governor Pataki, and his alone, and that the appointment was made on merit, not on relationship.

Governor Pataki had stated previously that President Elect Rockefeller did not influence him in any way to appoint Grayson Rockefeller II to the Senate.  This was not in the statement from the Transition Office.

As to the Jesse Helms statement, this comes from a very prominent Republican in the Senate who is not known historically as a big supporter of the President Elect, thereby giving his statement perhaps even more wieght than if it had come from a big Rockefeller supporter.  He defended the President Elect in no uncertain terms.  To clarify Bernie, Senator Helms opposed Senator Benson for the nomination, but he did support him in the election once he became the Republican nominee. Bernie, I am sure there will be areas of disagreement between President Rockefeller and Senator Helms along the way during the Rockefeller Presidency.  Of that I have no doubt.    

As an aside, Bernie, Senator Helms stated that he campaigned throughout North Carolina and in other parts of the south for Presidential candidate Senator Rockefeller and Vice Presidential candidate Liddy Dole.  

You know, Bernie, this fact was overlooked in the election night coverage, and most of the credit for the Rockefeller win in North Carolina was given to Liddy Dole.  And certainly much of the credit should go to Liddy Dole.  However, Bernie, I think what is also clear is the fact that Senator Helms campaigning very hard for Rockefeller and Dole in North Carolina was as well a major factor in them winning the state.

Interesting.  Thank you Peter.

In other news..........    
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2010, 12:24:26 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Thursday, November 21, 1996.

This is CNN, with a special report.  I'm Bernard Shaw, News Anchor.

CNN has just received word that Supreme Court  Associate Justice John Paul Stevens has died, just minutes ago, due to an unexpected heart attack, at the age of 77.

Justice Stevens was in his office at the Supreme Court building at the time.  He was found slumped over his desk by his secretary.  She immediately called 911, and Justice Stevens was  rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Justice Stevens had been serving on the Supreme Court since 1975.  He was nominated by President Gerald Ford.

Justice Stevens has had a long and distinguished legal career.

We will have more later on the life and times of Justice Stevens.

Justice John Paul Stevens, dead at age 77.

CNN has just received a text of a statement released by President Elect Rockefeller, just moments ago.

Mrs. Rockefeller and I are shocked and saddened to learn of the passing of Justice John Paul Stevens.  Our heartfelt sympathies go out to the family of Justice Stevens.

Justice Stevens had a remarkable legal career in which he served this nation with integrity and with honor.

He will be greatly missed by all who knew him, and his legal expertise will be missed by this nation.

President Elect Benson Rockefeller    
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2010, 09:25:43 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Friday November 22, 1996

This is CNN.  I'm Bernard Shaw, CNN News Anchor.

We have with us today CNN legal contributor Demitri Potemkin.

Demitri, with the untimely death of Justice Stevens, during this time of transition from one administration to the next, what are we likely to see happen?

First of all Bernie, let me say that President Elect Rockefeller paid a very moving and emotional tribute to Justice Stevens in his statement of yesterday.   

As to what happens next in this matter Bernie, I do not believe for one moment that President Clinton would even attempt to nominate a replacement for Justice Stevens.  He is President  until January, however, having lost the election, the Republicans certainly, and indeed, possibly even some Democrats, would argue that he has no moral authority to be nominating a replacement.  

Does he have the constitutioinal authority, yes, indeed he does, as he is still President.  But if, in the extremely unlikely event that President Clinton were to move now to name a replacement, the Republican majority on the Judiciary Committee and in the Senate would not permit the nomination to move forward.

President Clinton knows this, so I do not believe he would move on this matter.

Now as for President Elect Rockefeller, this provides him with some genuine opportunities, but it also brings along with it potential pitfalls.  Rockefeller must move very carefully in this situation.  

One the one hand, candidate Rockefeller stated quite publicly that he would appoint Supreme Court Justices that would honor and uphold the constitution, and who did not believe that they should be legislating from the bench.  This is a real opportunity for Rockefeller to show the consrvatives in this country that he has heard them, and that he will appoint someone who will honor this philosophy.  

Look at the states that rejected Rockefeller in the election, practically every southern state, a conservative area.  Rockefellr could have a positive impact with these areas of the country depending on his course of action.

On the other hand, Bernie, Rockefeller did receive tremendous support from some of the regions of the country that are considered to be more liberal.  He does not want to give these areas the impression that he will take their votes but will go ahead and appoint a Supreme Court Justice who does not share their values.

In my view, Bernie, President Rockefeller will have a real balancing act to perform in this appointment.  This decision on the replacement will have to be one of the very first matters he deals with upon taking office.  He will have to get it right to get his Presidency off on the right foot.  For practical purposes, in my view, the nominee will have to be acceptable to the Republican dominated Judiciary Committee, as well as to the Republican majority in the Senate.  

Thank you for that insight Demitri.  And thank you for joining us here on CNN.

My pleasure Bernie.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2010, 10:13:51 PM »

November 22, the office of President Elect Benson Rockefeller at the Transition Headquarters, meeting with his most trusted advisors.

Well, the Stevens passing has certainly drawn attention away from the Grayson Rockefeller Senate story.  Thank goodness.

We all watched Potemkin on CNN.  I believe him to be one of the most astute legal minds in this country.  I've known him for years.  The man is brilliant, an extremely gifted attorney and legal scholar.

I agree completely with his analysis.  And I want to have my selection made before I take the oath of office in January.

You know, I could put Orrin Hatch out there as a replacement.  That would certainly satisfy the party base and the conservatives in the country.  And he meets the criteria I promised in the campaign for Supreme Court appointments.  Hatch, though certainly conservative, does have a reputation of working with liberals in the Senate to get legislation passed.

I'm throwing this out there for discussion.  What do you think?

Ben, I don't know.  Hatch would certainly make a credible Supreme Court Justice, and he would sail through the nomination process in committee and the Senate, but he may be too divisive and controversial.  He would meet with tremendous resistance from Democrats on the committee.  They couldn't stop his nomination, I'm certain of that, but, with this coming so early in your Presidency, I think it more advisable to pick someone credible like Hatch, yet not divisive like Hatch.

Yes, I agree Ben.  It's best to avoid controversy, as much as possible at least, with this nomination.  Getting the right pick confirmed smoothly so early in your Presidency will most definitely send an extremely positive message to the nation that you as Presidet know how to get things done right.

Andrew, as our chief legal advisor, please begin the search and vetting process immediately.  Use as many qualified staff as you feel you need.  I realize this process will be over and above the transition budget we have, but don't worry about the expense.  Please have a list of qualified potential nominees for me by mid December.  Then we will all sit down, review each name, and come up with a short list. 

I'll get on it right away, Mr. President.

Thanks Andrew.

Now, back to the cabinet.

Liddy, thank you for your remarkable contributions and insight as to potential cabinet secretaries and members of the new administration.  I knew I made the right pick when I chose you for Vice President.  You're going to make history, I know it.

Thanks Ben.  All in a days work.

Laughs from around the room.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2010, 12:55:46 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

This is CNN.

Details are beginning to emerge about some of the key appointments and nominations for the new Benson Rockefeller administration, coming into office in January.

It is being reported that some of the major nominations to the cabinet will include the following

Virginia Senator John Warner is to become Secretary of State.  Mr. Warner has been serving in the United States Senate since 1979, and is widely respected on both sides of the aisle.  Warner has been one of Rockefeller's closest friends and political allies for many years.

Massachusetts businessman Mitt Romney is reportedly tapped to become Secretary of the Treasury.  He is the son of one time Michigan Governor George Romney.  Mitt Romney has been an extremely successful manager and corporate chief executive for many years.

Former Bush Defense Secretary Dick Cheney is slated for that same position again in the Rockefeller cabinet.  

As well, William Barr, who served for a brief period in the Bush cabinet as Attorney General, will resume that role in the new administration.

In a surprise appointment, North Dakota Democratic Senator Kent Conrad is to become the new Secretary of the Interior.  Conrad backed Rockefeller in the election.

Ann Veneman is to become Secretary of Agriculture.  A lawyer, Ms. Veneman has extensive experience in the United States Department of Agriculture in various capacities, and most recently has been serving as California's Secretary of Food and Agriculture.

Publisher Steve Forbes, who ran against Rockefeller for the Republican Presidential nomination, is slated to become the new Commerce Secretary.

Another one of Rockefeller's most trusted friends and political allies, Senator John Chafee of Rhode Island, is to become the new Secretary of Veterans Affairs.  Senator Chafee himself has a distinguished military career.

CNN, first in news, will bring you more details as they become known.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2010, 07:30:44 AM »

This is CNN.

Details are beginning to emerge about some of the key appointments and nominations for the new Benson Rockefeller administration, coming into office in January.

It is being reported that some of the major nominations to the cabinet will include the following

Virginia Senator John Warner is to become Secretary of State.  Mr. Warner has been serving in the United States Senate since 1979, and is widely respected on both sides of the aisle.  Warner has been one of Rockefeller's closest friends and political allies for many years.
Great pick!

Massachusetts businessman Mitt Romney is reportedly tapped to become Secretary of the Treasury.  He is the son of one time Michigan Governor George Romney.  Mitt Romney has been an extremely successful manager and corporate chief executive for many years.
Pretty good pick.
Former Bush Defense Secretary Dick Cheney is slated for that same position again in the Rockefeller cabinet.  Yeahhhhhhhhhh

As well, William Barr, who served for a brief period in the Bush cabinet as Attorney General, will resume that role in the new administration.

In a surprise appointment, North Dakota Democratic Senator Kent Conrad is to become the new Secretary of the Interior.  Conrad backed Rockefeller in the election.

Ann Veneman is to become Secretary of Agriculture.  A lawyer, Ms. Veneman has extensive experience in the United States Department of Agriculture in various capacities, and most recently has been serving as California's Secretary of Food and Agriculture.

Publisher Steve Forbes, who ran against Rockefeller for the Republican Presidential nomination, is slated to become the new Commerce Secretary.

Another one of Rockefeller's most trusted friends and political allies, Senator John Chafee of Rhode Island, is to become the new Secretary of Veterans Affairs.  Senator Chafee himself has a distinguished military career.

CNN, first in news, will bring you more details as they become known.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2010, 07:48:46 AM »

Warner is a great choice for pretty everyone's cabinet. I remember I read somewhere Clinton considered proposing him DoD after Aspin departure.

Cheney's good pick too. Remember, we're talking about pre-2000 Dick.

And Romney... Winfield, I knew you wouldn't stop yourself Wink
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2010, 07:08:39 PM »

Warner is a great choice for pretty everyone's cabinet. I remember I read somewhere Clinton considered proposing him DoD after Aspin departure.

Cheney's good pick too. Remember, we're talking about pre-2000 Dick.

And Romney... Winfield, I knew you wouldn't stop yourself Wink

Thank you for your feedback on these cabinet picks Kalwejt.  Much appreciated.

Yes, you are right.  I had to put Romney in a senior position.  I couldn't live with myself if I didn't.  Smiley

In an actual cabinet, however, I do believe that Romney would do very well as Secretary of the Treasury.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2010, 10:54:44 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

The office of President Elect Benson Rockefeller, three days earlier, Rockefeller puts in a call to North Dakota Senator Kent Conrad.

Kent, I am apalled at the treatment you have received from your Democratic colleagues in the Senate, stripping you of your prime committee assignments, and all this because you backed me in the election.  This is petty and inexcusable.  I feel responsible.

Ben, backing you in the election was my decision.  I believed then, and I believe now, that you are the right one for the job.  I believe Clinton let down the nation with his inappropriate behavior, and that he no longer belongs in the Oval Office.

Kent, I'll get to the point.  I would like you to join my administration as Secretary of the Interior.  You're the one I want to head the Interior Department.  

Ben, I am honored to be asked.  This will be an opportunity for me to continue to be of meaningful service to the nation.  I accept.

Thanks Kent.  I am looking forward to serving with you in the new government.

Thanks Ben, likewise.

After hanging up the phone, Rockefeller speaks with his advisors.  

I have spoken with North Dakota Governor Ed Schafer to advise him I wanted Kent in my administration, so his state would be needing a replacement Senator if Kent accepts.  The Governor assured me he has an excellent Republican replacement in mind to represent North Dakota in the Senate.

This is a win win situation.  The nation gets an excellent Interior Secretary, and the Senate gets another Republican.

If the Democrats in the Senate want to play these games, they're about to find out the consequences of their actions.

John Chafee

Smart move Ben, smart move.

Everyone in the room

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2010, 10:49:38 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2010, 08:51:52 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

The United States Senate as of January 3, 1997

Alabama
Richard Shelby (R)
Jeff Sessions (R)

Alaska
Ted Stevens (R)
Frank Murkowski (R)

Arizona
John McCain (R)
Jon Kyl (R)

Arkansas
Dale Bumpers (D)
Tim Hutchinson (R)

California
Dianne Feinstein (D)
Barbara Boxer (D)

Colorado
Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R)
Wayne Allard (R)

Connecticut
Christopher Dodd (D)
Joe Lieberman (D)

Delaware
William Roth (R)
Joe Biden (D)

Florida
Bob Graham (D)
Connie Mack (R)

Georgia
Paul Coverdell (R)
Max Cleland (D)

Hawaii
Daniel Inouye (D)
Daniel Akaka (D)

Idaho
Larry Craig (R)
Dirk Kempthorne (R)

Illinois
Carol Moseley-Braun (D)
Richard Durbin (D)

Indiana
Dick Lugar (R)
Dan Coats (R)

Iowa
Chuck Grassley (R)
Tom Harkin (D)

Kansas
Sam Brownback (R)
Pat Roberts (R)

Kentucky
Wendell H. Ford (D)
Mitch McConnell (R)

Louisiana
John Breaux (D) Resigns to become Secretary of Energy
Mary Landrieu (D)

Maine
Olympia Snowe (R)
Susan Collins (R)

Maryland
Paul Sarbanes (D)
Barbara Mikulski (D)

Massachusetts
Ted Kennedy (D)
John Kerry (D)

Michigan
Carl Levin (D)
Spencer Abraham (R)

Minnesota
Paul Wellstone (D)
Rod Grams (R)

Mississippi
Thad Cochran (R)
Trent Lott (R)

Missouri
Kit Bond (R)
John Ashcroft (R)

Montana
Max Baucus (D)
Conrad Burns (R)

Nebraska
Bob Kerrey (D)
Chuck Hagel (R)

Nevada
Harry Reid (D)
Richard Bryan (D)

New Hampshire
Bob Smith (R)
Judd Gregg (R)

New Jersey
Robert Torricelli (D)
Frank Lautenberg (D)

New Mexico
Pete Domenici (R)
Jeff Bingaman (D)

New York
Al D'Amato (R)
Grayson Rockefeller II (R)

North Carolina
Jesse Helms (R)
Lauch Faircloth (R)

North Dakota
Kent Conrad (D) Resigns to become Secretary of the Interior
Byron Dorgan (D)

Ohio
John Glenn (D)
Mike DeWine (R)

Oklahoma
Don Nickles (R)
James Inhofe (R)

Oregon
Ron Wyden (D)
Gordon Smith (R)

Pennsylvania
Arlen Specter (R)
Rick Santorum (R)

Rhode Island
John Chafee (R) Resigns to become Secretary of Veterans Affairs
Jack Reed (D)

South Carolina
Strom Thurmond (R)
Ernest Hollings (D)

South Dakota
Tom Daschle (D)
Tim Johnson (D)

Tennessee
Fred Thompson (R)
Bill Frist (R)

Texas
Phil Gramm (R)
Kay Bailey Hutchison (R)

Utah
Orrin Hatch (R)
Robert F. Bennett (R)

Vermont
Patrick Leahy (D)
James Jeffords (R)

Virginia
John Warner (R) Resigns to become Secretary of State
Charles Robb (D)

Washington
Slade Gorton (R)
Patty Murray (D)

West Virginia
Robert Byrd (D)
John D. Rockefeller IV (D)

Wisconsin
Herb Kohl (D)
Russ Feingold (D)

Wyoming
Craig Thomas (R)
Michael Enzi (R)

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2010, 09:10:55 AM »

Hm, I don't see any changes in the Senate composition and with butterflied you've created with Rockefeller that seems unlikely.

I hope you'll inform us who filled Warner, Conrad and Chafee seats.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2010, 09:41:26 AM »

Kalwejt, in the interests of simplicity, I am using the actual Senate composition, with slight changes to allow for Grayson Rockefeller in New York, as that is already part of the story, and replacements for Warner in Virginia, Chafee in Rhode Island, and Conrad in North Dakota. 

I believe it would have gotten extremely complicated to create new Senate members, although I agree with you that Senate changes would likely have taken place under this scenario.

I do have replacements for Warner, Chafee, and Conrad, which will be announced soon.

Thank you for your comments.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies