Moving Toward Communism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:59:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Moving Toward Communism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Moving Toward Communism  (Read 8067 times)
AuH2O
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 06:09:42 PM »

I read the entire thread before posting.

My post was relevant because it is important to understand WHY people are communist. Communism as it exists is obviously a failure and anyone disputing that is quite simply in error, so I see no point in arguing that.

I also mentioned in my post that modern "Marxism" is not really a political movement in the West, it's an intellectual movement. That's important because the original post was (besides a copy and paste job) about Revolutionary activity in the US, which is basically irrelevant.

So far as this M-L-M character, his posts are long but basically nonsense taken straight from introductory Mao Zedong Thought. Trust me, I've read that stuff, and he is a caricature of it.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 03:06:44 PM »

In fairness (and I'd like to point out that I am not a communist and never will be),  there has never been a true communist country because none of the governments we've seen have actually abided by Marx's principles.  Lenin adapted the theory into Marxism-Leninism, which is really a bastardization of the original.  Anywhere else that has tried has been stunted by civil war (Russia and China) or stunted by a foreign power (Cuba, Indo-China, North Korea, Eastern Europe - which was already destroyed by 30 years of war).

Well, I don't begrudge you for trying to be objective, but I think a real question is 'can Marx's version of communism actually be implemented?' I seriously doubt it, and it would still be pretty bloody and without freedom if it could. Let's face it - Marx was an idiot. Smiley

Like so many other moronic philosophers, Marx just spent a long time writting and explaining his stupid ideas.  Why do people cream over a dumb idea just because someone goes through a great deal of time explaining it?

Communism can only work in small voluntary ollectives.  that means that in order for a communist community to work effectively, everyone has to agree to give up their individual rights and work as a collective.  I would have no problem with voluntary communes full of zombies wearing jump-suits, just as long as they chose that fate.

But please don't force it on us.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2005, 05:21:04 PM »

In fairness (and I'd like to point out that I am not a communist and never will be),  there has never been a true communist country because none of the governments we've seen have actually abided by Marx's principles.  Lenin adapted the theory into Marxism-Leninism, which is really a bastardization of the original.  Anywhere else that has tried has been stunted by civil war (Russia and China) or stunted by a foreign power (Cuba, Indo-China, North Korea, Eastern Europe - which was already destroyed by 30 years of war).

Well, I don't begrudge you for trying to be objective, but I think a real question is 'can Marx's version of communism actually be implemented?' I seriously doubt it, and it would still be pretty bloody and without freedom if it could. Let's face it - Marx was an idiot. Smiley

Like so many other moronic philosophers, Marx just spent a long time writting and explaining his stupid ideas.  Why do people cream over a dumb idea just because someone goes through a great deal of time explaining it?

Communism can only work in small voluntary ollectives.  that means that in order for a communist community to work effectively, everyone has to agree to give up their individual rights and work as a collective.  I would have no problem with voluntary communes full of zombies wearing jump-suits, just as long as they chose that fate.

But please don't force it on us.

Exactly.

What I've come to realize is that the communism we're all familiar with is basically the most extreme form of populism.  Not that they're right-wing on social issues, but more that they're authoritarian to the point of dictatorial.

What I don't get is why that is.  If anything, I would have thought communism would be the extreme form of liberalism.  I.e. quite literally, "power to the people".

Actually, now I think of it, I remember reading that Lenin and Trotsky had originally planned to set up their ideal Marxist state and then effectively shut down the government, leaving it to the people.  The fact that that isn't what happened shows that communism as extreme liberalism just doesn't work.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 04:18:26 PM »

A gem from my Maoist days.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 04:52:51 PM »

Communism has killed over 100,000,000 people.

LETS GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »

You're weird, Rocket.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2008, 06:06:50 PM »

Goldie was a mega freedom fighter.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 06:09:27 PM »

I'm actually quite proud of my contributions to this thread.  I don't remember making them, however.  Smiley
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »

I'm actually quite proud of my contributions to this thread.  I don't remember making them, however.  Smiley

Yeah, I don't remember them either.

I DON'T THINK THEY ACTUALLY HAPPENED!
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 12:50:41 PM »

Communism has killed over 100,000,000 people.

LETS GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE!

amen brother
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies