Nader wins Reform Party endorsement, ballot access in eight states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:39:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Nader wins Reform Party endorsement, ballot access in eight states
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nader wins Reform Party endorsement, ballot access in eight states  (Read 2025 times)
NHPolitico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2004, 03:57:22 PM »

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?tl=1&display=rednews/2004/05/12/build/nation/33-nader-endorsed.inc

Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Independent Ralph Nader, reviled by some Democrats for his presidential bid, was endorsed Wednesday by the national Reform Party, giving him ballot access in at least eight states, including the battlegrounds of Florida, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Nader spokesman Kevin Zeese said the candidate welcomes the support but plans to continue running as an independent. He said Nader would decide on a case-by-case basis whether to accept the Reform Party's ballot lines in each state, or try to gain ballot access through other means.

"This shows that Nader can garner support from across the political spectrum, including conservatives who supported Bush in 2000," Zeese said.

Nader won the Reform Party endorsement shortly after midnight Tuesday, when more than two-thirds of its national and executive committee members who participated in the vote chose the consumer advocate, said party chairman Shawn O'Hara, who called Nader "a man of peace."

The prospect of Nader appearing on Florida's ballot is certain to incense many Democrats, who blame Nader for pulling votes from Democrat Al Gore in 2000. Gore lost Florida - and the presidency - to Republican George W. Bush by fewer than 600 votes, while Nader garnered nearly 100,000 votes there as the Green Party's nominee.

Other states in which the Reform Party has already secured ballot access for its nominee are Colorado, Kansas, Mississippi, Montana and South Carolina. Nader is not yet on the ballot in any state.

Nader has struggled to win ballot access in some early states, such as Texas, where a deadline passed Monday without him collecting enough signatures to appear on the ballot. Nader filed a federal lawsuit Monday challenging the signature requirement in Texas. Nader also missed an early opportunity to get on Oregon's ballot, although he has time to try again.

In Florida, Nader faced the daunting task of collecting more than 92,000 signatures to gain ballot access. If he runs as the Reform Party's candidate, we will not need any signatures.

Nader had courted Reform Party leaders since March, O'Hara said. Six other lesser-known candidates were seeking the party's nod. The leading contender, Tylertown, Miss., businessman Ted Weill, threw his support to Nader on Monday.

Zeese said Nader also would consider gaining ballot access through other third-party political organizations that might endorse him. In Florida, for example, both the Green Party and the Populist Party have secured access to the ballot. If either or both decide to endorse Nader, he would choose the party that makes the best fit.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 05:25:01 PM »

I did not see this comming.
California Dreamer

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 05:34:27 PM »

I did: http://www.uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=1597;start=msg54754#msg54754
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 05:45:03 PM »

As long as he names his electors, rather than the Reform Party doing so for him, there is a chance that he would name the same electors as Kerry giving those electors the votes for them under the Reform party and Democrat party labels.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 06:23:17 PM »

Libertarians have 47 states, if Nader can win that endorsement then he has it made in the shade. Wink
khirkhib

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 06:28:16 PM »

That is a frightening prospect and who knows how it would effect the election.  If Nader get Reform and Libertarian would Green also support him.  Nader has said he would take their endorsement.  Would he ultimately take more from Bush or from Kerry.  Could he even get close to the number of votes that Perot got.  Any predictions as to what the map would be if Nader got support from multiple third parties.  
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 06:42:24 PM »

If Nader names the Kerry electors as Nader electors as well, then the votes for Lib, Ref, G, and Dem would count towards Kerry's total.  Wierd.

Who controls each state legislature anyways?
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 09:12:49 PM »

As long as he names his electors, rather than the Reform Party doing so for him, there is a chance that he would name the same electors as Kerry giving those electors the votes for them under the Reform party and Democrat party labels.

This idea to have Nader select Kerry electors has been floated in the NY Times.  Only one problem: it is illegal.  In most states, laws define the winner as the candidate who gets the most votes, not the electors.  In 27 states electors are required to certify they are pledged to a candidate (not two different candidates).  In 19 states adding electors from two candidates is explicitly forbidden, in no state is it explicitly allowed.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 07:09:43 AM »

Ouch
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 08:46:11 AM »

FL, WS, MI are good states for Nader to be on the ballot - definitely draws from Kerry there.

OR, WA, MN, and ME would also be welcome.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 11:11:03 AM »

FL, WS, MI are good states for Nader to be on the ballot - definitely draws from Kerry there.

OR, WA, MN, and ME would also be welcome.

Shush Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 11:40:40 AM »

Of course Nader won't do as well as Perot did in the past. Geez, you people really underestimate the resolve of the ABB crowd, including myself.

Perot in 1996 got 44% of what he got in 1992. I predict Nader will do similar, which puts him around 1.2%. And while he might get a few more votes because of this, considering the Reform Party ran Pat Buchanan in 2000, those votes certainly aren't coming from Kerry.

This doesn't bother me much really. I've always considered Florida out of reach due to Jeb still being in office, and Nader was barely an effect in Michigan last time, he'll be even more irrelevant this time.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 12:37:30 PM »

Now I wonder if he's gearing up for a concerted effort or what? If he does, he could do better than expected and he might take from both Bush and Kerry. Honestly, if he's going to do one of these jobs where he stands on the sidelines amd takes 3% and then the Kerry people scream that he sank Kerry, that's asinine. If he's going to run, I want him to make a concerted effort. Go all-out.

Or, I wonder if they will try this finagling so Kerry can get his votes... I honestly don't see how that works or would work, but if they did do that, it might change politics and elections as Dems and GOP might start recruiting as many third parties as possible for back-up. And boy would that be sad. But again, I haven't a clue as to how that would work or if it could.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 01:16:22 PM »

Or, I wonder if they will try this finagling so Kerry can get his votes... I honestly don't see how that works or would work, but if they did do that, it might change politics and elections as Dems and GOP might start recruiting as many third parties as possible for back-up. And boy would that be sad. But again, I haven't a clue as to how that would work or if it could.

I think someone on this thread has already put that to rest.

Okay... that simple, no technicalities... explanation sounds good to me, with all the ideas floating around in here over the last couple days on this and everything else, some things slip by.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies