Canadian federal polling division files (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:49:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 170119 times)
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 10:20:39 AM »

Like in the lower Ottawa valley, there is also a pocket of rural Franco-Ontarian ancestral Liberal voting in the area around Midland and Penetanguishene, at the west end of Simcoe North. I know it looks as if I haven't caught all the area, but the northwest just goes off into the lake.

Of the two main towns right next to each other in the centre, the more Liberal one to the northwest is Penetanguishene which is more French and the more Conservative one immediately to the southeast is Midland which is mostly Anglo.

The grey tie just east of Midland is actually Conservative/NDP - it's just listed with the township name "Tay" but seems to be the village of Port McNicoll, where CP Rail ran a major port for its Great Lakes fleet until it closed in 1965. What appears to be two Liberal polls in the southeast is actually, oddly, one poll with two spatial parts, and I have no idea either why it's numbered like this or why it's Liberal.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 11:40:10 PM »

Great - I look forward to the rest!

Do you know what's up in Madawaska? I can understand why Acadians here would be more conservative than on the coast because they don't live off EI during the fishery off-season, but why the sharp divide within the region?

Those Liberal fishing villages at the east end of Manicouagan I believe are Anglo areas, more like the Atlantic provinces than Quebec culturally, as are the Conservative islands at either end of the Madeleines.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »

Whereabouts is Niagara-on-the-Lake and Fort Erie on the Niagara area map?

NOTL is the town right at the northeastern tip of Niagara Falls riding with the one Liberal poll. Fort Erie is down at the southeast end of Niagara Falls - it's off this map but you can see it in my Niagara Falls map on p. 25 of this thread.

Is that dark red along Lake Huron an Indian Reserve?  It seems odd to have a rural poll go that heavily Liberal otherwise.

Yeah, that's Walpole Island. (It's actually unceded territory rather than a reserve).
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »

Do you have western maps too, 506?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2010, 08:18:09 PM »

Great, thanks!

I had noticed earlier in glancing at the polls that Niki Ashton won some Native polls in Churchill, but that map's pretty impressive.

And I guess we now know where the Sikhs of Abbotsford live Tongue
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »

That's actually Macleod, by the way, not Crowfoot.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2010, 07:19:08 PM »

It looks like pundit's guide has maps of every riding now, with polls. They're not shaded though. They also have the 2000 election which is really interesting.

Where? I couldn't find it on the Pundits' Guide.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »

Thanks!

2000 is particularly interesting for the purposes of where the NDP vote went in the 90's.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2010, 09:06:09 AM »

B.C. also has this info available for its 2009 provincial election, for anyone who's interested. (Unfortunately I don't really have the time at the moment to get started on a project like this myself).

http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/voting/electoral-maps-profiles/gis-data-files-2008/

http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/resource-centre/reports/2009-ge-results/
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »

Here's the Winnipeg North by-election.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies