Holy Cross Priests Object to Obama Invitation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:53:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Holy Cross Priests Object to Obama Invitation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Holy Cross Priests Object to Obama Invitation  (Read 1330 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:56:28 PM »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/ap_on_re_us/obama_notre_dame

SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Ten priests from the order that founded the University of Notre Dame say the school risks its "true soul" and could distance itself from the Roman Catholic Church by inviting President Barack Obama to campus next month.

The members of the Congregation of the Holy Cross, which helps run the university, asked the Rev. John Jenkins, the Holy Cross priest who is Notre Dame's president, and the university's board of fellows to reconsider the invitation to Obama because he supports abortion rights.

"Failure to do so will damage the integrity of the institution," said the letter published Wednesday in Notre Dame Observer.

Notre Dame announced last month that Obama would deliver the university's May 17 commencement address and receive an honorary degree. The decision by the nation's best-known Catholic university sparked widespread anger among many Catholics who said Notre Dame should not honor someone whose policies on abortion and embryonic stem-cell research clash with core church teachings on human life.

Hundreds of abortion opponents protested on campus Sunday, and the priests said the invitation has opened a "fissure" between Notre Dame and many bishops. More than a dozen bishops have denounced Obama's appearance, including Cardinal Francis George of Chicago, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Jenkins has said the university does not condone all of Obama's policies, and spokesman Dennis Brown has said Notre Dame does not plan to rescind the invitation.

"We respect the opinions of members of the Holy Cross community and others," Brown said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another interesting detail found later in the story is that Obama is slated to give another commencement speech at Arizona State University, but the school is refusing to give him an honorary degree because, according to the ASU spokesperson, Obama does not have a large enough body of work in his current field for the university to recognize with the conferral of a degree!

The presidency of the United States is a tough beat!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:28:55 PM »

That's quite silly, but oh well.

Another interesting detail found later in the story is that Obama is slated to give another commencement speech at Arizona State University, but the school is refusing to give him an honorary degree because, according to the ASU spokesperson, Obama does not have a large enough body of work in his current field for the university to recognize with the conferral of a degree!

The presidency of the United States is a tough beat!

So how many honorary degrees should George W. Bush be given then, if being president is good enough?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:17:24 PM »

Just thought the last detail was funny.

I guess the real question for this forum is, what does everyone think the U. of Notre Dame should do in this circumstance, follow the advice of the Holy Cross priests or do what the administration has decided and give the president the degree?

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 04:06:40 PM »

Just thought the last detail was funny.

I guess the real question for this forum is, what does everyone think the U. of Notre Dame should do in this circumstance, follow the advice of the Holy Cross priests or do what the administration has decided and give the president the degree?

Most Roman Catholics get it.  These guys do not.  Abortion is forbidden by Catholic dogma and condemned by the Pope.  Fine.  But the church has also condemned capital punishment and unjust war...yet I fail to recall any clergy protesting George W. Bush's presence on any Catholic campuses.
(Perhaps some liberationists did, but I don't recall any press coverage .)

Notre Dame is doing the right thing.  The Bishop in this diocese, a personal friend of mine, is wrong.  President Obama has the right to be on the Notre Dame campus and to receive whatever accolades the University wishes to bestow. 

I hasten to add, however, that those who criticize Bishop John D'Arcy with too much pleasure need to consider the whole man.  He is a giant in the Roman Catholic Church and, quite possibly, one of that communion's best kept secrets. He was a medium-level official in the Diocese of Boston at one time.  And he was conveniently "transferred" to Fort Wayne-South Bend because he continued to raise ferocious objections to pedophile priests in that Diocese.  Roger Cardinal Mahoney (I believe that's the right name) shipped D'Arcy out and let the evil persist.

I offer this because I know there are people, often Protestants or just secularists, who broad-brush the entire Roman Catholic Church over this horrific scandal. The fact is, just as there were Catholic villians in this story...so were there Catholic heroes.  My friend was among them and I remain so proud of him for that.  Even if I think he is completely wrong about President Obama and Notre Dame.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »

This all makes complete sense to me.  Thanks for the very fair post.  Bishop D'Arcy sounds like a passionate advocate for what he believes are just causes, and his stand on these other issues is obviously incredibly commendable.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:54:47 AM »

This all makes complete sense to me.  Thanks for the very fair post.  Bishop D'Arcy sounds like a passionate advocate for what he believes are just causes, and his stand on these other issues is obviously incredibly commendable.

Update:  While Bishop D'Arcy has asked Notre Dame to disinvite the President, he is also asking Catholics NOT to protest the President's visit...and, in particular, wishes to distance himself and his diocese from the putrid ravings of Randall Terry, who plans "a massive protest" (his words) during Obama's visit.

I'll never agree with John on issues of choice, sexuality, the ordination of women or not permitting clergy to marry.  But then, I am not Roman Catholic.  And I remain persuaded that the Bishop is a truly great man.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies