Dumb Question I Guess
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:40:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Dumb Question I Guess
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dumb Question I Guess  (Read 1607 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:20:30 PM »

But I'll ask it...

Is it possible that many of the prohibitions in the Bible (ie prohibited conduct/sin etc), are eternal prohibitions (i guess one that would indisputably be here is murder) or more temporary bans for some sort of social purpose appropriate at the time (perhaps like Kosher dietary laws which at least in the Christian tradition are no longer required).

If so what forms of conduct or what actions would fall into each category?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:40:44 PM »

But I'll ask it...

Is it possible that many of the prohibitions in the Bible (ie prohibited conduct/sin etc), are eternal prohibitions (i guess one that would indisputably be here is murder) or more temporary bans for some sort of social purpose appropriate at the time (perhaps like Kosher dietary laws which at least in the Christian tradition are no longer required).

the interesting thing about the Kosher dietary laws, is that they were the third set of dietary laws mentioned the bible, not the first and only set.

In Gen chapter 1, the diet was vegetarian.  In Gen chapter 9, all forms of meat was added to man's diet after the waters of the Flood receded.  Then, after the Exodus, the Law of Moses introduced the Kosher dietary laws. (And I would guess, based on other passages, that the vegetarian diet will come back into effect during the 1000 year reign of Christ)

So, the dietary laws are an example of a category of God's law that has not remained uniform. 

---

If so what forms of conduct or what actions would fall into each category?

Well, there are 613 laws within the Law of Moses.  If you throw all 613 out and use the book of Genesis to define morality - I think you would end up with the morality described in the New Testament.

In fact, you could pretty much sum up New Testament morality in the following:
1) Love God with all your heart
2) Love others as yourself
3) keep sex within the context of marriage
4) don't play around with the blood of animals for religious purposes

numbers 1 and 2 ere what Jesus stated as the summation of the law, and numbers 3 and 4 were the instructions to the Gentiles from the Jerusalem council in Acts chapter 15
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »

I mean when I think of the Kosher Laws they seem like common sense for the time...Pork if not cooked properly, shellfish if not cooked properly, mixing certain types of foods...probably really unhealthy.

The requirement for circumcision, probably a health measure couched as something higher.

I guess the question that follows is that, is there anything else there that one could say seems like an eternal prohibiton but really is temporary and MAY be obsolete?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:49:29 PM »

is there anything else there that one could say seems like an eternal prohibiton but really is temporary and MAY be obsolete?

The Law of Moses
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »

For once jmf and I agree.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 02:20:29 AM »

From what I've heard the reason we abstain from eating meat, but can still eat fish, on Fridays during Lent is because the Vatican wanted to create more of a demand for fish.   

Ever heard this, Soulty?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 03:02:23 AM »

From what I've heard the reason we abstain from eating meat, but can still eat fish, on Fridays during Lent is because the Vatican wanted to create more of a demand for fish.   

Ever heard this, Soulty?

Ha... that's a new one.  No, I have not.

Actually, the real reason that started is because the purpose of the Friday fast was originally to emphasis unity in the Christian community.  Red meat was very expensive, and fish was extremely cheap, so red meat was banned, because it was seen as an excess.

Today, of course, it is the other way around.  Even though I love fish, its one of those rules I am not to fond of, and I would be in favor of changing it.  It is pretty useless today, and I don't actually observe it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies