Should homeschooling be banned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:53:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should homeschooling be banned?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Should homeschooling be banned?
Yes

Yes if the parent is not a certified teacher

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Should homeschooling be banned?  (Read 26696 times)
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2008, 08:06:45 AM »

Only ban non-secular homeschooling. If the homeschooling is for leftist purposes or other non-religious purposes it's cool with me. Basically my same stance as on private/charter schools. Ban religious-focused ones but allow the magnet schools/other secular private schools.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2008, 10:28:33 AM »

No, it shouldn't.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2008, 11:05:49 AM »

I'm interested in seeing which proponent of banning homeschooling is willing to stand up first as a shining beacon of successful public education.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2008, 11:08:46 AM »

BRTD, naturally.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2008, 01:11:30 AM »

Only ban non-secular homeschooling. If the homeschooling is for leftist purposes or other non-religious purposes it's cool with me. Basically my same stance as on private/charter schools. Ban religious-focused ones but allow the magnet schools/other secular private schools.

Besides the invasive policies you'd have to enact to make sure they were teaching a non-religious curriculum, doesn't that violate the free exercise clause?

Plus, how do you distinguish what counts for school time and family time?  If a family teaches a secular curriculum, and goes to church on Sunday, does that make them secular or religious?

I'd also like to point out I don't see anything at all wrong with a religious curriculum, in and of itself.  The problem would be with overzealous parents.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2008, 03:48:37 AM »

As long as the kids meet certain standards, I have nothing against homeschooling and I would definitely not take away the freedom from people of choosing how to educate their children.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »

Absolutely not.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2008, 05:28:42 PM »

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2008, 06:30:37 PM »

While I don't support a blanket ban on homeschooling, in most cases, homeschooling is often not ideal as it shelters children from the outside world.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2008, 06:43:07 PM »

Why do I get the feeling that some people in this tread would be making an argument against compulsory education if we were thinking of enacting it today?
Because you understand the libertarian mindset.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2008, 10:01:04 PM »

No way would I want to ban homeschooling, and I'm not saying this just cause I was homeschooled.

Our public schools are broken. Classrooms are too big which overwhelms teachers, violence and drug abuse are rampant. I just don't see the logic in preventing parents from taking their kids out of that environment.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2008, 11:21:40 PM »

No way would I want to ban homeschooling, and I'm not saying this just cause I was homeschooled.

Our public schools are broken. Classrooms are too big which overwhelms teachers, violence and drug abuse are rampant. I just don't see the logic in preventing parents from taking their kids out of that environment.
Homeschooling usually doesn't happen much in areas where violence and drug abuse are rampant.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2008, 11:37:09 AM »

Homeschooling should never be banned. It strikes me as silly that everyone is up in arms over fundies homeschooling, as if it represents homeschooling itself. Personally, I don't want the state to be the only avenue towards an education, since parochial school wouldn't be an option if I had children.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2008, 01:02:42 PM »

Please state a cogent argument for infringing on personal freedoms. If that is not possible, please delete this asinine question.

I apologize for not posting a topic worthy of your high standards?
I'm sorry if that posts sounds haughty. I only meant that if you're going to posit such a controversial proposition, it would be helpful if you posted an argument on its behalf.

Well I was opposed to it, but what my friend was saying was that as a society we need a well-educated population and the only way to assure that was by making sure they had a public, state-monitored education. They also cited homeschooled kids not developing the social and personality skills that kids who have a traditional education develop, which is also harmful to society as a whole. Basically a general feeling that having compulsory public education may infringe on personal liberties but it's better for society as a whole.

You friend is really badly misinformed.

Many home schooled kids far exceed the educational attainments that those who attend government schools.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »

no they should not. but they do miss the socializing with other kids.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2008, 10:58:42 PM »

No (normal).
OldWeirdAmerica
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -6.96

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2008, 03:26:09 PM »

Homeschooling is not only for fundamentalists. It is for anyone who believes that it is more natural for families, rather than governments, to take care of children. Compulsory schooling (don't call it education) is slavery, plain and simple. In addition to operating on the absurd premise that the state is the rightful owner of children, it has been a major factor in the destruction of the family and the deterioration of society. It is bizarre that here in the so-called "free world" a majority of people agree with idea of government control of children from age 5-18.

Of course, it cannot be guaranteed that parents will educate their children well. Even if they don't, that doesn't justify the state requiring schooling. And besides, since when has public school been a positive learning environment? Of course, there are good teachers in public schools, but the system as a whole is profoundly corrupt and anti-freedom.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2008, 10:51:22 PM »

Homeschooling should not be banned, but the children must follow the state's program and he must go in a school/school board/ place for that for doing exams at the end of each scholar year. If they don't pass, they redo that year in the school and they finish their schooling in the system.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2008, 03:53:29 AM »

I strongly support homeschooling, having been homeschooled myself. Nevertheless, I would like an idiot tax to deal with bigoted fundies using homeschooling to indoctrinate children with their hateful nonsense.
OldWeirdAmerica
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -6.96

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2008, 07:41:10 AM »

I strongly support homeschooling, having been homeschooled myself. Nevertheless, I would like an idiot tax to deal with bigoted fundies using homeschooling to indoctrinate children with their hateful nonsense.

So you really only strongly support homeschooling if the parents believe in the same things you do?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2008, 07:02:58 PM »

Homeschooling should not be banned, but the children must follow the state's program and he must go in a school/school board/ place for that for doing exams at the end of each scholar year. If they don't pass, they redo that year in the school and they finish their schooling in the system.

Couldn't agree more.

Some homeschool setups are examplars of excellence and even socialization  Many are just plain horrible.

Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2008, 09:38:38 PM »

That just sounds terribly pointless then. If homeschooling is considered an option for parents, then what positive aspects would it have if the curriculum were tailored by the state? Why the need for homeschooling at all? This is not an area I would want the state to get involved in.

And frankly, I don't much care if the parent is a Unarian, or an other fringe believer, I don't believe anyone has the right to dictate what a child should or should not be taught, particularly in their home.

I'd rather not have a child be taught Xenu did this or that, but I can't agree with those who say it's "necessary" that it should be in the hands of the state.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2008, 09:46:38 PM »

So you really only strongly support homeschooling if the parents believe in the same things you do?

If they don't believe ridiculous things, sure. Wink
gfev5150
Rookie
United States
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2008, 12:48:35 PM »

No, sometimes homeschooling is chosen by the parent for a kid that would otherwise be in special education classes (ie: social disorder) which costs the schools a lot of money per child. I do know someone in this situation. It is better for the kid to stay home sometimes.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »

I'm going to say no, even though I find a lot of homeschooled kids creepy and I wouldn't homeschool my children myself. 

My roommate's nephew is currently being homeschooled.  The elementary school in Bethlehem, PA that her nephew would've been going to has a 30% literacy rate.  They can't afford to move and want their child to get a better education.  So, they've enrolled him in an online charter school thing.  It comes with a computer and computer programs and every so often her nephew goes to meetings with other kids in his online classes. 

Considering that 70% of the elementary school he would've been going to can't read, this is a much better alternative.

I don't approve when parents themselves without teaching degrees teach the children.  I do approve, however, in the case of my roommate's nephew.

Rin-chan
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies