Canadian federal polling division files (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:56:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 170166 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »

The combination of working-class east, academic/middle-class-liberal north, and more wealthy conservative west is sort of oddly reminiscent of the original London. (Obviously a huge simplification in the case of the larger one).

Yes, I've noticed that before. Quite amusing really.

Southwestern Ontario was laid out to look like England by its original colonial administration. For it to work you have to flip it almost on its side so the Michigan border is the "south" and towards Toronto is the "north", with Lakes Erie and Ontario as the "east". Look at where London is on this orientation, and consider that it's on the Thames River in Middlesex County, that the next county downriver is Kent, whose main city is Chatham, and that on the other side, up the Thames River is Oxford County. Also observe where Norfolk County is. The Niagara region was originally Lincoln County, while Toronto was originally called York (preserved in the county name which was separated from the city itself in the 1950's). The river that empties into Lake Ontario in Etobicoke, which was then the countryside west ("south" on this orientation) of York is the Humber, and the county just past York is Durham, and then comes Northumberland...

Ah wow, weird! I've never realized this!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2009, 11:55:07 PM »

Still Cannot find the place to add picture.  Maybe I haven't signed up properly?

You either need more posts, or you need permission (or both). The easiest way is to go to imageshack.us and upload there and copy the URL here.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2009, 12:42:26 PM »

Hey, you should know that the University Endowment lands are part of Greater Vancouver Electoral District A.

Anyways, I'd be happy to make these maps for you when I get some time. Until then, keep making these lists. If you do all of Ontario, I could make a big map. (but, you'd have to combine the amalgamated cities).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2009, 04:35:11 PM »

Hey, you should know that the University Endowment lands are part of Greater Vancouver Electoral District A.

Anyways, I'd be happy to make these maps for you when I get some time. Until then, keep making these lists. If you do all of Ontario, I could make a big map. (but, you'd have to combine the amalgamated cities).

True, I guess I meant the unorganized part or the part excluding University Endowment Lands and Barnston Island.  I don't think I could do all of Ontario, I though I could do Southern Ontario as much of the North is unorganized territory

South is fine. I'll make the Ontario map, now actually (by census division).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2009, 04:57:27 PM »

Smiley

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »

Noooooo Brunswick

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »

Metro Vancouver
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2009, 02:03:56 AM »

This is going to be one blue map!

I am surprised that London went Conservative. Hmmm...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »

You should probably split the reserves off, but that's just me. (They are separate municipalities, after all)

Oh, and are there any places that are 70%+ Conservative? I'm surprised I haven't seen any yet.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »

Surprising how separatist some of the former anglo areas are...

You should probably split the reserves off, but that's just me. (They are separate municipalities, after all)

Oh, and are there any places that are 70%+ Conservative? I'm surprised I haven't seen any yet.

I would like to split off the reserves, unfortunately a lot of the polling data doesn't give this one, although you are right their voting patterns are quite different.  There were a few that got in the high 60s and if you take the former municipalities prior to amalgmation some surpassed 70%.

Once you get Muskoka and Parry Sound done, I can make a map!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »

You missed Malahide in Elgin County, by the way
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2009, 02:09:46 PM »

He did Simcoe.

I just made the map, all I need to do is fill in the blanks Cheesy If we could get some municipalities in southern Nipissing and maybe Manitoulin, it would be nice as well.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »

Great work! Cheesy

If you want me to fill in the black areas, that would be great too. You might also want to give me totals for some unorganized areas. I know that big one in Parry Sound District actually has a sizable population. (My cottage is there)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2009, 10:28:59 PM »

Only 51 people live in that area. Not really big enough for one poll. You sure it was over 60%?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2009, 10:32:54 PM »

Actually, that was in 2001. In 2006 it had 571 people. Statscan says to "use that with caution" though, whatever that means. I'm not sure where the people are though... it is mostly just Algonquin Park.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »

Actually, that was in 2001. In 2006 it had 571 people. Statscan says to "use that with caution" though, whatever that means. I'm not sure where the people are though... it is mostly just Algonquin Park.

I am guessing many of them are seasonal residents.  Since the last election was October 14, 2009, that is right on the edge of the end of tourist season.

It's the census. You have to be permanent.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2009, 11:19:13 PM »

I'd like to see a colour coded map of Winnipeg and also of the riding of Outremont.

Already done.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2009, 04:19:56 PM »

Interesting that the only low area for the Conservatives in genuinely rural Anglophone territory (aside from Caledonia with its even more conservative candidate) is right where the Walkerton water scandal was. Alternately, it may have nothing to do with this and just be holdover from Steckle's personal vote. (Also, Kincardine, the one on the coast, has the Bruce nuclear plant and so is probably more university-educated than most small towns).

I think a lot of it is hold over, since all the townships in that riding are a lighter shade of blue than the surroundings.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2009, 06:05:53 PM »

http://earth.smurfmatic.net/canada2008/polls/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2009, 06:21:47 PM »

Well, it's only the 4 major metros, and no shaded maps, but still pretty cool. Some ridings there I  haven't seen yet.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »

More disappointing than I thought. Sad
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »

Just to avoid duplication, I'm going to have a go at B.C. Southern Interior next, even though it'll be a while since I'm pretty busy at the moment.

Having just downloaded the spreadsheet, I note the humorous results for the community of Vallican, BC:
NDP 226 (75.1%)
Green 44 (14.6%)
Conservative 26 (8.6%)
Liberal 4 (1.3%)
Marxist-Leninist 1 (0.3%)

A mere four communists away from an epic win. This is in the Slocan Valley, which is known for its high population of, shall we say, Canadians from the noted American immigration of 1965 to 1973 Wink

Oh man, where do I sign up to live there? Freedom Town!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2009, 12:10:05 AM »

I will try to do Nova Scotia by county over the next day.  If anybody wants, I can do New Brunswick by municipality and Nova Scotia by municipality.  Nova Scotia should be interesting as there seems to be a little bit for everyone.

I do want! Whatever you can do, it would be appreciated. Problem with NB is there are no rural municipalities. They have parishes however, but they are really only geographical divisions.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

Ahh, this reminds me of a debate we had on Wikipedia many years ago Wink

Nova Scotia does have county subdivisions, but once again, they are mostly just for census purposes, IIRC.

PEI has lots, which would be interesting, and Newfoundland also has unorganized subdivisions.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »

Here's your map boys

I got 3 counties wrong (Guysborough, Queens and Digby on my census divison map in the gallery)

Speaking of which, I hope you can do PEI (only 3 counties) and Quebec. Well, I hope you can do all of Canada... Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies