Canadian federal polling division files (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:25:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 170188 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »

5 maps in one! (Yeah, I know someone else already did one of them, but a big blank spot just doesn't look right)

*drools*

And oh wow, at that one blue poll in my parents' neighbourhood (north part of Ottawa South). I used to walk through there to go to High School, and remember seeing a lot of Canadian Alliance signs back in the day. Hasn't voted Conservative lately, though. Very interesting!

Also is interesting is the south part of Ottawa Centre swung from the Liberals to the Tories. The riding got a lot more orange though. For comparison, here is Ottawa Centre in 2006

Here is Ottawa South:

My old riding of Ottawa South has seen some weird swings over the last 3 elections. It's gotten a lot more red since 2006. Elmvale Acres was completely blue in 2006, now it is red, despite that one Riverview poll I had mentioned going blue. Blossom Park has gotten a bit redder as well. The 2004 map was different too. Neither election had uniform swings across the riding. Quite weird. Must be weird immigrant voting patterns.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 07:57:15 PM »

And oh wow, at that one blue poll in my parents' neighbourhood (north part of Ottawa South). I used to walk through there to go to High School, and remember seeing a lot of Canadian Alliance signs back in the day. Hasn't voted Conservative lately, though. Very interesting!

Around Smyth Road?

Kinda, it's about 500 metres north of Smyth Road. It was always eery walking down there. A lot of closet Liberals, it seems.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 12:27:53 AM »

Because we haven't had much GTA coverage in this thread....Trinity-Spadina:

I currently live here. I'm actually living in UoT residences FYI. Where are these places?

Also do Toronto Central, Toronto Danforth and Mississauga South please.

Since when have you been in Canada?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 02:11:39 AM »

Very interesting.

First of all it is interesting to see how polarized some of Toronto is, like how Parkdale is NDP while High Park is Liberal. Southern Davenport is NDP (more so provincially) while the north is Liberal. And take a look at that big blue splotch! That would be Forest Hill, centred around Upper Canada College, a well known major private secondary school.

It would be interesting to see what Toronto Centre would be like if it weren't so Liberal, that is if you took Rosedale (the north part) out of it. I remember the NDP won some polls in Centre in 2006. Guess those votes went to that scumbag Rae. Strongest Liberal areas were Regent Park and Cabbagetown.

Beaches-East York is rather disappointing. It doesn't appear to be as polarized, but I guess the NDP did better in East York than in Beaches.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 03:05:23 PM »

Vancouver is really interesting. Riding boundaries really seem to mean a lot. And Green polls in Vancouver Centre!!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 09:24:17 PM »

Riding boundaries really seem to mean a lot.

A local Member's personal vote, perhaps?

Somewhat, but also factor in strategic voting. I think maps like this prove it exists.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »

Wow. Polarized
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »

We should have a redistricting thread now, to either do the following:

1) make districts more competitive
2) make districts more politically homogeneous
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 03:28:31 PM »

Some more Native areas would be interesting. I have a theory about what predicts the heavily Liberal vs. more NDP/others patterns among reserves, but I don't have many data.

On my Abitibi-Baie James-Nunavik-Eeyou, all Liberal precincts are Native areas. The Conservative precicnt in Wasnanipi too. I am doing Abitibi-Témiscamingue map and Pikogan, a Native reservation, voted for the BQ. BQ 29%, NDP 25%, Liberal 24%.

Ooh. I look forward to this.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 12:16:40 PM »

We've been noticed by the Pundits' Guide! Muy bien, amigos.

I just checked that out. Very cool. It would be awesome if the Pundit's Guide could have maps like this on their site.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 01:43:33 PM »

You could probably gerrymander an NDP riding into there somewhere.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »

Except Rosetown-Biggar, the urban precincts from Saskatoon aren't extremely NDP... fair share of Tory polls too (though much lesser margins than the rural polls!)

Ditto Regina.

This is true. It's probably because of the Liberals. Provincially, all those areas are quite NDP friendly.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 07:33:45 PM »

Oh, of course.  So he probably has a personal vote and also benefits from NDP strategic voting.  Was SE Regina more pro-Liberal than the rest of the city proper before he was elected in 1997, though?

The riding was created in 1988. It was a 3-way race in the 1988 election (PC-NDP-Liberals) and then Liberal since 1993. Before that it was part of Regina East, which voted NDP.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 01:54:40 PM »

St. John's would be interesting now. Maybe Halifax-Dartmouth as well. Hamilton would be interesting, Windsor, London, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and of course Calgary and Edmonton, and Victoria.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »

As for that FN poll, unless it is some sort of First Nations complex, it was an error. They definitely switched their votes with the NDP.

St. John's would be interesting now.

Although I don't know if a deep enough orange exists for St. John's East …

Haha. I think he is using the same colour for all 60%+ areas, but I could be wrong. The NDP won every poll in St John's East, except for a mobile poll which wont show up on the map.

Ooh, I'd also love to see some more northern areas Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »

How do tower block polls appear on the map? Do they at all? I say this because I've got a strong suspicion the NDP won a few towers in Etobicoke North.

It appears as though they dont, unless it's a poll with more than one apartment, or if the apartment is next to a large park or something.

St. John's would be interesting now.

Although I don't know if a deep enough orange exists for St. John's East …

A better one would be for St. John's South-Mount Pearl and of course, Avalon. I'm interested in which communities stayed Conservative this time 'round and which swung Liberal.

Well, hell, what about one for the whole island? I'd like to start some gerrymandered maps Cheesy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 02:55:25 PM »

an NDP-Green tie? Crazy!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2009, 08:39:12 AM »

Wow....I happened on this forum via www.punditsguide.ca as they released this data (something I was looking for awhile now).

I must say, I am super impressed by the quality of maps everyone has produced. I'm in the "GIS-biz"... and have access to high end mapping software and cartography software. It looks like everyone has been able to take a free program and produce quality and informative maps. GIS to the masses! This is seriously awesome.

I put together a couple of maps today for Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound (home county).
1) Obvious - who won each poll
2) % of the Green vote (from total) mapped by each poll. (I have connections with the Green candidate so wanted to make this for him).

Large version: http://www.kevinhibma.com/maps/2008_won_poll.jpg

Large Version: http://www.kevinhibma.com/maps/2008_green_vote.jpg

Cool, but someone already posted that riding. We didn't get a green % vote though, so that is interesting Smiley

Keep them coming!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »

I didn't expect to see so many NDP polls in Tecumseh. And the NDP pockets in Essex seem to be random...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 08:46:06 PM »

The colour maps are very interesting.  Smiley I wish things like that had been available during the last election to take a look at.

Does anyone have a map of the Papineau riding in Quebec where the battle between Justin Trudeau and the Bloc Quebecois occurred?  I would be interested to see how it broke down.

There's a map of Montreal a few pages back. It would have Papineau.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2009, 09:19:44 AM »

It's interesting how in Northern Ontario, it is often the large cities that are more right wing than the rural areas, in that they vote Liberal, while the rural areas for NDP. The same is true for Sault. Ste. Marie anyways, and Sudbury. Possibly Thunder Bay as well.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 01:26:06 PM »

The colour maps are very interesting.  Smiley I wish things like that had been available during the last election to take a look at.

Does anyone have a map of the Papineau riding in Quebec where the battle between Justin Trudeau and the Bloc Quebecois occurred?  I would be interested to see how it broke down.

There's a map of Montreal a few pages back. It would have Papineau.

Yes I think I saw the Montreal map with all the ridings together in a general overview.  I was wondering where I could see one of the riding in detail blown up like some of the other ridings on this thread.

The image was scaled down a bit. The file itself is a bit bigger. Depending on your eyes, it might be good enough. Not as a big as some here, but big enough to know where the polls are.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »

The NDP won a poll in Wakefield last time, but they lost it. Weird that they won a poll in Angers.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 05:15:32 PM »

The NDP won a poll in Wakefield last time, but they lost it. Weird that they won a poll in Angers.

They won a poll in Cantley too, you can see it if you pull up the large version.

I saw that in the results, but I thought it was a combined poll.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2009, 06:17:44 PM by SoFA EarlAW »

Did the Greens win any polls in Quebec?  Might there be a riding where five candidates carried at least one poll?

It would be an independent as the 5th party, if there is. If the Greens won a poll in Quebec, it wouldn't be in the same district as the NDP.  Maybe Portneuf? I doubt it though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies