Canadian federal polling division files (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:20:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 170188 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »

Wow. Vancouver Island hurts my eyes.

Strangely, no green polls. Also, Saanich-Gulf Islands would look different if the NDP candidate didn't drop out. I'm thinking all those polls near Victoria would be more of a Liberal-NDP mix.

Also, after looking at this, aside from Victoria, it appears Vancouver Island is a lot like Northern Ontario, in that the rural areas are more likely to support NDP.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2009, 07:22:31 PM »

Did Blair Wilson win any polls in West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country?

He won six polls, and tied two others. the506 sent me a table showing how many polls each party won in each district.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »

Did Blair Wilson win any polls in West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country?

He won six polls, and tied two others. the506 sent me a table showing how many polls each party won in each district.

Mind forwarding it to me, mar plij?

done
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 09:08:25 AM »

Why is that stretch along the east coast (North from Nanaimo) so Conservative?

It's one of those areas where old middle class people go to die.
Might have guessed. Semi sorta did, actually.

Some of those old people vote NDP, though. Vancouver Island is full of them.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »

After having looked at a map of Nanaimo, I can see most of the old city is in Nanaimo-Cowichan, whereas the newer developments are in Nanaimo-Alberni.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2009, 09:47:21 AM »

West Vancouver is where most of the people live in this riding. Some interesting things going on outside WestVan though, like in Whistler.  The map seems to show some heavy vote splitting there between the Greens and Liberals (and possibly to a lesser extent the NDP) allowing the Tories to win a few polls.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »

Why is Bowen Island so liberal? Makes little sense from what the wiki has to say about how it is now - you can guess from the article that it is latte liberal, but are left wondering why.

Probably the same reason the Gulf Islands area.

Also, maybe NDP-Green vote splitting?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2009, 08:32:22 AM »

Surrey needs to be divided differently.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 08:45:20 AM »

what kind of Arabs are in St Leonard? Algerians and Lebanese?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 09:35:30 AM »

what kind of Arabs are in St Leonard? Algerians and Lebanese?

Yeah, mostly. There's also a large number of Haitians and a growing Hispanic community, mainly South American.

Hmm, I can see the Bloc trying to target these communities. They have already had a Haitian MP.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2009, 02:41:59 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2009, 02:50:26 PM by SoFA EarlAW »

As for Newton-North Delta, the polarization is actually the civic border of Delta and Surrey. Probably has something to do with it.

I didn't want to pour over the ethnic distribution of all the census tracts in the area, so I looked at some thematic maps, and noticed that Liberal blotch is considerably more allophone (first language neither French nor English) than the Delta area.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2009, 03:03:25 PM »

The Conservatives swept (won all the polls in) a riding in Quebec (Beauce)!  That riding, like all currently Conservative-held ridings in Quebec except Roberval-Lac-Saint-Jean which they picked up more in a by-election in September 2007, wasn't even held by the Tories going into the 2006 election (and they might have swept it in that election as well, as their candidate got 67.02% that year but "only" 62.40% in 2008), although the BQ vote went down from 19.97% to 14.00% so they might have won a poll in the previous election.

The Liberals swept one riding in Quebec (one riding nation-wide actually), Saint-Léonard-Saint-Michel.  The Bloc Québécois swept two ridings, Montcalm and Rivière-du-Nord.  All other poll sweeps were Conservative sweeps, two in Ontario (where they also won all polls except one where they tied with the Liberals in one riding, Carleton-Mississippi Mills), two in British Columbia and eight in... take a wild guess. Smiley

Didn't the NDP sweep Vancouver East? It looks like it on that map.

There's one Liberal poll, if you look closely. The NDP also almost swept St. John's East (except for one mobile poll)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2009, 03:08:07 PM »

Some more info on that Liberal blotch:

That area is called Newton, and is predominantly a Sikh area. The Liberal MP for the area is Sikh. Provincially however, the NDP holds that area, and the MLA is Sikh. So um, I guess it has more to do with the candidate than anything else.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 01:13:38 PM »

Sounds like you're calling for a Canadian version of this website Cheesy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 01:59:16 PM »

Neat. I'd prefer you make more maps though Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 10:24:09 PM »

Indeed it's a cool idea. Maybe someone with web powers can help start it?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »

I really like this site's presentation of maps, though I'm not sure how far back we have riding maps.

Riding maps could be made, like the ones I was doing for Ontario. We have the descriptions, all we need is people willing to make the maps.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »

Neither map is finished?

Anyways, you have poll maps dating back to 1924? That would be really interesting to see, especially since I live in Ottawa Centre.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »

Maps would be cool. And surprising that the Glebe voted Liberal in 2007. Will Murray only lost the riding by 5%, and the Glebe is usually strong NDP territory.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »

Wow!

I grew up in Ottawa South, and made those maps on Wikipedia, so I am very familiar with the riding. (plus I've worked on 3 campaigns in the riding, most recently as voter contact). I wonder how you got the "fold in" data from advanced polls?

I'm also somewhat familiar with Ottawa Centre, as I live there. I'm in Centretown, and I see the area voted strongly NDP in the last provincial election. Smiley But, I heard Will Murray was a lousy candidate, which is probably why he lost. An open seat with a federal NDP member, the riding should have fallen to us. Oh well.

Keep the maps coming. I'd rather they were in digital format, but I can't complain too much.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »

I don't mind if your a tory, as long as you keep the maps up!

I'll give you instructions for posting maps:

1) Click on "gallery" in the top right corner of the page
2) Click on "Election Maps - International"
3) Scroll down to the bottom once the maps have finished loading. Click on "add a picture"
4) Click on "browse..." and find the file in your computer
5) Once you have found the file, select it and fill in the other boxes as you see fit
6) When you're done, click on "add picture"
7) At this point, your image should now be in the gallery. Go back to the gallery and find it (should be at the very top left). Click on it. It should get bigger.
Cool Put your mouse over the image and click the right button on it. Select "copy image location".
9) Come back to this thread and post the map. Right click once again and select "paste". Then put  after it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »

There are still so many places I want to see. Too bad JP stopped posting maps, apparently he is busy with work. He told me it was only taking 20 minutes to do a riding, while I assume it takes much longer for MaxQue.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »

I would like to see Glengarry-Prescott-Russell
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2009, 12:14:35 PM »

Weird is all I can say...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2009, 09:59:13 PM »

Hard to believe the NDP only holds two of those seats.

My uncle lives in the west end of Dartmouth. (which appears to be hardcore NDP on this map) I wonder if he is a supporter. I'm actually going to stay at his place for the NDP convention in 2 weeks, so maybe I will find out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies