Your Education
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:47:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your Education
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Your Education  (Read 5480 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2004, 02:08:36 AM »

It's kind of interesting that two Republicans now have blamed their lower academic performance in college at least partially on their professors. That seems like the kind of thing conservatives usually like to deride liberals for, failing to take personal responsibility for their actions, blaming others instead, playing into the victim mentality, etc. Just ask Dazzleman.

That being said, I'm liberal, and I got straight A's in high school, B's/C's as an undergrad at a liberal University (U of Michigan, albeit in Engineering so my professors weren't liberal), and now back to straight A's again in pursuit of my MPA.

I don't think I'm blaming anyone.  Its just a reality that has to be put up with.  I had liberal teachers in High School.  Most of the awards I won were in Social Science.  The people who voted me the winner of those awards were the faculty in that department.  Of the faculty, 1 voted nader, 1 voted Browne, and 3 voted Gore.  They put their biases aside, the college profs don't.

BTW, I'm impressed that you got a degree in engineering from Michigan.  That is not easy stuff.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2004, 02:10:55 AM »

Thanks. Yes, it wasn't easy...hence my lower grades. Smiley

I was merely pointing out that it was an interesting twist on the usual way things work out with the blaming thing...I know, it's not blaming if it's valid. Remember though, that everyone who blames someone else does think it's valid... Smiley
MarkDel

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2004, 02:11:13 AM »

It's kind of interesting that two Republicans now have blamed their lower academic performance in college at least partially on their professors. That seems like the kind of thing conservatives usually like to deride liberals for, failing to take personal responsibility for their actions, blaming others instead, playing into the victim mentality, etc. Just ask Dazzleman.

That being said, I'm liberal, and I got straight A's in high school, B's/C's as an undergrad at a liberal University (U of Michigan, albeit in Engineering so my professors weren't liberal), and now back to straight A's again in pursuit of my MPA.

Nym90,

Actually, you are right, it WAS my fault. I was the ing moron who was dumb enough to argue the Conservative side to Marxists who held my future in their hands. I should have just shut up and played their game, but I was naive/dumb enough to believe that they wouldn't let their political beliefs interfere with their objective grading...I no longer "walk with the Shepherd..." as the saying goes.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2004, 02:21:33 AM »

I was merely pointing out that it was an interesting twist on the usual way things work out with the blaming thing...I know, it's not blaming if it's valid. Remember though, that everyone who blames someone else does think it's valid... Smiley

We say we believe in personal responsibility, but we really blame peopl as often as you gus do (maybe more often).  We blame government for recessions, the media for political defeats, and our teachers biases for bad grades.  Personal responsibility is something that we logically should belive in, but really don't.  Most of us don't believe in state's rights either, for example, but most people think we do.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2004, 02:23:13 AM »

Mark, you're actually right regading some ultra-liberal professors.  For being so "tolerant", these profs want nothing of conservatives and don't want to even bother hearing them.  As for me I was top of my class, but only got a 1200 SATs and mustered a 3.1 at Temple.  
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2004, 02:31:50 AM »

We say we believe in personal responsibility, but we really blame peopl as often as you gus do (maybe more often).  We blame government for recessions, the media for political defeats, and our teachers biases for bad grades.  Personal responsibility is something that we logically should belive in, but really don't.  Most of us don't believe in state's rights either, for example, but most people think we do.

Wow! That's cool that you are honest. Hey, both sides take positions of convenience for political advantage. Don't be ashamed of it. Smiley
MarkDel

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2004, 02:40:53 AM »

John,

I strongly disagree with you on the personal responsibility issue. Most Republicans are FAR MORE in tune with the concept than Democrats...it's not even close.
MarkDel

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2004, 02:43:43 AM »

Mark, you're actually right regading some ultra-liberal professors.  For being so "tolerant", these profs want nothing of conservatives and don't want to even bother hearing them.  As for me I was top of my class, but only got a 1200 SATs and mustered a 3.1 at Temple.  

Handzus,

It's true despite what Nym90 wants to think...I know it makes him feel better to believe that sort of thing is "beneath" his left wing buddies, but I assure that's not the case.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2004, 06:29:28 AM »

Well, I am yet to discover the left-wing bias of University as I am yet to attend.

My school has a definite left-wing bias I would say, hey it is a private school in the London suburbs filled with middle class Londoners, most of them are probably Liberal Democrat supporters with a few Greens. There are actually Conservative supporters here, but they don't seem to make their views shown strongly, in fact, I only recently discovered several.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2004, 01:18:18 PM »

Most schools I went to had a conservative bias. At the university I attended, most students were liberal, but administrators were conservative.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2004, 01:31:08 PM »

I got 310/320 point score from Elementary school (which Swedes graduate at 16, 1 year ago for me). I failed at sewing and carpentry... Tongue Still managed to get into the Swedish school with the highest grades though. Here everyone's conservative, support for the Swedish conservatives is traditionally around 90% here. The teachers vary though. My experience is that if you argue with teachers in a low-key fashion (even when they're being idiots) you do OK.

In "Gymnasium", which is 3-year pre-university studies my current average is 19.8/20 after failing at computer science (most of you know how good I am at that...)
MarkDel

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2004, 01:46:58 PM »

I got 310/320 point score from Elementary school (which Swedes graduate at 16, 1 year ago for me). I failed at sewing and carpentry... Tongue Still managed to get into the Swedish school with the highest grades though. Here everyone's conservative, support for the Swedish conservatives is traditionally around 90% here. The teachers vary though. My experience is that if you argue with teachers in a low-key fashion (even when they're being idiots) you do OK.

In "Gymnasium", which is 3-year pre-university studies my current average is 19.8/20 after failing at computer science (most of you know how good I am at that...)

Gustaf,

What do you suppose the odds are that I argued in a "low key" fashion against my Left Wing professors...LOL
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2004, 02:03:32 PM »

Gustaf,

What do you suppose the odds are that I argued in a "low key" fashion against my Left Wing professors...LOL

About the same that you sprout wings and fly to the sun, Icarus. Smiley
MarkDel

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2004, 02:05:42 PM »

JFK,

Yeah, that's about right. By the way, I gave you the no bullsh*t assesment of your strengths and weaknesses in the other thread, but have seen no response from you...what did you think?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2004, 02:11:12 PM »

JFK,

Yeah, that's about right. By the way, I gave you the no bullsh*t assesment of your strengths and weaknesses in the other thread, but have seen no response from you...what did you think?

I read it and agree, I do have a lack of knowledge on many issues, I am pretty good at bullsh*tting my way through it sometimes Wink.

That is my fatal flaw for going into politics.

I am a pretty decent public speaker and pretty confident which really stems as a result from nine years of drama in Saturday classes and being a member of the leading UK Drama organization, the National Youth Theatre along with being a member of debating society at school.

I also am not despicably unattractive Wink. A lot of people think I look like Keanu Reeves for some reason, I disagree, heh but I think I could be electable, depending on which party I choose of course. Besides, over here it doesn't matter too much apart from progressing through the ranks of the party, most people vote for the leader of the party and the party itself more than the individual candidate here who normally has little effect on the campaign unless he is a very popular figure locally.

But hey, I am 16, I will accumulate the knowledge I need for a political career if I so choose to follow that path, I plan to go into law first though and maybe move on to politics depending on how I feel about it by then. By the time I do go into politics I reckon I will know enough about the issues to get through and if I don't, well, there are always assistants who can research things for you Smiley.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2004, 02:28:21 PM »

Gustaf,

I didn't mean to imply that you would ever do such a thing Mark... Wink

Merely stating that it is fully possible to get good grades without agreeing with the teacher. Then again, I have VERY odd teachers mostly, so they might not be like the average teachers.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2004, 05:08:26 PM »

John,

I strongly disagree with you on the personal responsibility issue. Most Republicans are FAR MORE in tune with the concept than Democrats...it's not even close.

I agree that our philosophy reflects personal responsibility more.  Take a look at slavery reparations and anyone can see that.  But on a personal level, we don't always take responsibility.  For example, I hear all kinds of complaints about how the media is responsible for this defeat or that setback.  This is blame shifting too.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2004, 06:32:39 PM »

Handzus,

It's true despite what Nym90 wants to think...I know it makes him feel better to believe that sort of thing is "beneath" his left wing buddies, but I assure that's not the case.

I never said it wasn't true. I never said it was beneath all of them. But I don't think that there is a vast left wing conspiracy among professors. It's like the police or anyone else who has a bad reputation...5% ruin it for the other 95%. The vast majority of professors are good people, just like the vast majority of people in general. Call me naive if you wish, but myself, and all of my friends of all political stripes have had no problems with professors being biased on the basis of grades. Your experiences differ, and I'm not dismissing that at all, but I don't see why your experiences are any more valid than those of mine and my friends, if we are attemping to use anecdotal evidence to prove that professors are biased.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2004, 06:25:11 AM »

Have to agree with Ford's point on personal responsiblity. A large part of that is accepting the world the way it is. It isn't fair. People are the way they are, and you deal with it. That's like saying "it wasn't my fault I was beaten up by those skin-heads, they ARE idiots, I just said so." You can't change people, what you can do is change your own actions regarding them.

And compared to people who are born blind or lose their legs in accidents or live below the poverty line in AIDS-stricken countries, etc having biased professsors is hardly a major obstacle.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2004, 09:08:28 AM »

Me too, 9iron.

I just barley passed high school  I got mostly C's D's and F's execpt in history and government where I got A's
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2004, 09:47:51 AM »

Always argued with my teachers. Always got good grades. Or at least most of the time.
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2004, 10:22:10 AM »

HS: A+ I was acutally in the top 10 of my class (#8 to be exact)
College: 4.0 in my major. (we won't talk about overall which included all the required classes on subjects I didn't care about).
MarkDel

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2004, 10:53:44 AM »

HS: A+ I was acutally in the top 10 of my class (#8 to be exact)
College: 4.0 in my major. (we won't talk about overall which included all the required classes on subjects I didn't care about).

Stry_Cat,

You're from Glen Allen? I absolutely love that area. One of my best friends from college lives right on the golf course at  The Dominion Club...great golf course...great area.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies