Vive Le Hughes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 05:12:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Vive Le Hughes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: Vive Le Hughes  (Read 57727 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2010, 12:28:01 AM »

Great update. Hopefully Hoover will be much more aggressive than FDR in containing Germany. Also, I hope the state of Israel is created soon.

It actually was already; I mentioned in a prior update that Israel, which was under joint American-British occupation following the Great War, was set up under a system of government similar to the US. Grin

Most of my updates on that centered on American-occupied Iraq, so it was easy to miss. Smiley

Thanks. I'll make sure to reread the last several posts. Just out of curiousity, how come you failed to post the first time (at 10 p.m.)?

Ah, well, I was typing it in the dialog box, and accidentally clicked post instead of preview. I didn't want anyone to see, since it wasn't complete yet. Smiley

Which reminds me, I forgot to add an image.
Historico
United States

« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2010, 10:40:17 AM »

Awesome update Nik, Looks like Hoover's appeasment policies are going to really come back and bite him in the ass as 1939 looms closer. Itll be intersting to see if Huey can sustain his popular support and possibly throw off both political parties. But like you said, Time waits for no man...Keep it comming.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2010, 05:24:33 PM »

Awesome update Nik, Looks like Hoover's appeasment policies are going to really come back and bite him in the ass as 1939 looms closer. Itll be intersting to see if Huey can sustain his popular support and possibly throw off both political parties. But like you said, Time waits for no man...Keep it comming.

Well, it is still 1937, so maybe he'll get in trouble sooner. Smiley

All of you can expect updates to be much more frequent after next week, since school is winding down and the lacrosse season is almost over. Smiley
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2010, 02:02:18 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2010, 05:44:34 PM by Han »

Awesome update Nik! I can't wait to see how the 1940 Presidential Election turns out! I wonder if Hoover and I wonder how well the Share Our Wealth Party does! I guess Huey Long could run, but could he win in a close three way? Shocked I also can't wait to see how things develop internationally! Keep it coming, NiK!
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2010, 05:41:22 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2010, 03:07:40 PM by Bugs Bunny »

BUMP. Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2010, 05:39:48 PM »

Hopefully I can get it up today, sorry for the delay.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »

NiK, when will the update come?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #207 on: May 28, 2010, 01:18:34 PM »

BUMP

I actually finished the update about two weeks ago, I am just waiting on Xahar to finish editing for grammar mistakes, historical inaccuracies, etc. Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2010, 06:14:20 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2010, 11:29:06 PM by NiK »

In January, President Hoover and his Secretary of Agriculture, Henry Wallace, depart for Tokyo, Japan, to be hosted by Emperor Yasuhito. The two discuss matters of their personal lives; but also of the fragile world situation. While Germany had been somewhat contained, it had become clear that should it make a move of aggression, war would soon follow. Japan had little concern for Europe, but it was interested in Hitler's "friend" to its north. It was concluded between the two that in the case of war between the Soviets and Japanese, the US would assist Japan through industrial production and food distribution.

Meanwhile, in the United Kingdom, Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, exhilarated by President Hoover's diplomatic breakthrough, calls a snap April 1938 election. The Leader of the Opposition, Arthur Greenwood of the Labour Party, embarks on a relatively modern campaign. Calling for readiness against the 'Hun' threat, Labour MPs slam the government at every angle. Chamberlain's Conservatives counter with the notion that a Labour government would be dangerous for international stability, and that a Labour government would cause a new cycle of economic woes. On April 21st, 1938, the Conservative party elects a much reduced Conservative majority, with Labour gaining 131 seats.

In July, Adolf Hitler meets with Josef Stalin, his nominal ally and ideological opposite. The two make preparations for a swift "Blitzkrieg" into Eastern Europe, with the Soviet Union being granted Finland, Romania and Eastern Poland, and Germany being granted Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Western Poland. Behind the scenes, however, the two dictators plot war with one another; for they both is in possession of a commodity the other wants. The German dictator dreams of his "Greater Germany," a proposed realm that would extend from the Dnieper to the Rhine. The Russian dictator, in contrast, is fascinated by the concept of global communism, and believes that beyond his borders lies a world ripe for revolution. To both leaders, it is clear that their "partner" is just a means to an end. Grinning from ear-to-ear, the two leaders sign the Bipartite Pact, creating what Charles Evans Hughes described as "The Axis of Evil."

On September 1st, 1938, Germany and the Soviet Union jointly strike the borders of Poland, rendering the country helpless. On September 2nd, 1938, German forces invade the remnants of Czechoslovakia, directly defying the Munich Agreement. In the United States, President Hoover requests a declaration of war against the Axis, and after a short debate, he received it, albeit with a non-unanimous vote. 7 senators and 22 congressmen, including Huey Long, Robert M. La Follete, and Jeanette Rankin. Declaring "That the world must be made safe for democracy," Herbert Hoover transforms overnight into a war president.

An American cartoon mocks the closeness of Germany and the Soviet Union.

The governments of Britain and France declared war on the two nations directly after the United States, condemning the actions of the aggressors. The three nations, recreating the same process from the Great War, set up a joint board of military and diplomatic officials, to relay concerns through each government.

On September 16th, Charles Evans Hughes arises from the League's Assembly, and storms into a fiery tirade amongst the floor: "Never before have we seen such insolence from a foreign power. Never before have we witnessed such might. Never before have we been faced with such problems. And never before have we seen such a union of nations willing to face such evil." In the wake of Hughes' stirring speech, the League of Nations - Hughes' creation - issues a statement denouncing Germany and the Soviet Union.

By Mid-October, Poland had been subdued, Czechoslovakia conquered, and Hungary annexed. A new phenomenon, the "Air Raid," had led to swift attacks on Paris and London by the German Luftwaffe. The shocked populace of the two countries begin a pilgrimage to the countryside, hoping to avoid the danger of the cities.

1938 Congressional Elections:

The first wartime election in twenty years, Hoover's embarrassing flop as a peacemaker leads to small Democratic gains in both the Senate and House, but also gives Huey Long's disoriented Share Our Wealth Party a unique opportunity, as the result had given the nation a "hung" Congress.

Senate Results:

Republicans: 51 (-3)
Democrats: 45 (+3)
Share Our Wealth: 2 (+0)

House Results:

Republicans: 216 (-37)
Democrats: 210 (+39)
Share Our Wealth: 9 (-2)

Next Update: The Warsaw Pact
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »

It's back? Yay! Cheesy I hope we defeat the Axis Powers early than OTL. Keep it coming, Nik!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »

Very good update, Nik! I'm really interested in how this "Hung Congress" turns out. If I might make a suggestion, you might get some ideas from the 65th Congress (IRL). In that House, the Republicans had a 215 Plurality, but, the Democrats (with 214 seats), and the Progressives (with 3), formed a "Majority Coalition", even though they were still one seat below an absolute majority! Wink
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2010, 12:48:58 AM »

Nice job, NiK. I think that the improving economy due to the war effort will help the GOP greatly in 1940. I think the U.S. will kick Germany's ass pretty quickly.
Historico
United States

« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2010, 08:25:44 PM »

Interesting to see Hoover getting us into a war a full 3 years earlier than IOTL...Itll be interesting to see how long it takes for the bipartie pact with Uncle Joe to fall to pieces. Keep it comming Nik
Historico
United States

« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2010, 02:40:08 PM »

Hey so what are ol' Pappa Joe Kennedy and his boys up to ITTL, I can definatley see both Joe Jr. and Jack begrudingly signing up for the Draft...Eventhough they could get differed since they were still attending School(Joe at Harvard Law, Jack should be a Junior at Harvard Undergrad)...Keep it comming...
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2011, 07:33:42 PM »

Should I do a remake of this? Right now, I'm looking at something that I could have made a lot better. This timeline has far too many cliches, completely ignores the butterfly effect, and has a lot of missed opportunities.

Or would you guys prefer a different timeline? I'm contemplating ideas.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »

I'd like to see it continued or redone.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies