Vive Le Hughes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:21:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Vive Le Hughes (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Vive Le Hughes  (Read 58004 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2010, 06:43:36 PM »

Before I update, I want to make sure that everyone is following the butterflies that have occurred so far, as the next few updates will radically diverge from OTL in a sharp and swift manner.

If someone isn't following, would you like me to recap?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »

No one? Are you sure you don't want me to mention any of the relatively underlying butterflies?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2010, 08:04:18 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2010, 08:07:49 PM by NiK »

No one? Are you sure you don't want me to mention any of the relatively underlying butterflies?

Go for it.

1. The is a relatively different British list of Prime Ministers; while Lloyd George still fell in this TL, Bonar Law was replaced by Lord Curzon, and Stanley Baldwin never rose to the premiership.

2. Germany and Italy are fairly antagonistic to one another. Italy, which was collaborating for a defensive pact with Austria, felt slighted at Germany's 'conquest' of the country.

3. Japan and Britain are still allied. The Anglo-Japanese Alliance never faltered, as the British were encouraged by their decent relations with America, and its joining of the League. The Emperor of Japan is Yasuhito, as Hirohito's assassination attempt in OTL succeeded. He is an English speaker, and a pro-westerner. America built heavy amounts of capital ships in the 1920s (Credited to their far away Middle Eastern mandates), forcing the other two to do the same, although the three countries are  on good terms.

4. Prohibition never ended. Hoover's strong opposition to the 'wets' was enough to overcome ratification of an amendment in 1933; however, there is a growing 'repeal prohibition' movement.

5. The Spanish Civil War was butterflied out, and the country has a moderate christian-right leaning government.

The rest I will save for later; Needless to say, there are a great deal of surprises coming up.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »

BUMP

Update this weekend. Anyone have any questions? Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2010, 09:12:34 PM »

So long you don't steal any of my ideals, this shall remain to be a decent timeline.

Don't worry, I shall not steal any of your ideas. Smiley I am still looking forward to the launch of Hoover III, and I had a few ideas myself about it if you would want to hear them sometime, however you are rarely on AIM. Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1930s America is crime-ridden (due to the continuing of prohibition), and politically unstable. Huey Long's (And Father Coughlin's) movement is sweeping the nation, capitalizing on widespread despair. Culturally, America is far more interconnected with the outside world then it was in OTL, and Weimar culture was fairly popular in 1920s America. Overall, the nation has not changed much from OTL in the '20s, as the prosperous nation was bound to have some similarities. Babe Ruth is the pride of the Boston Red Soxs, and Charles Lindbergh Jr. is a happy child who dreams of flying through space.

Australia is slightly different, and the growing respect and friendship between the Japanese and British has reflected kindly upon the nation. Entertainment culture, new technology and consumerism that characterized the 1920s in the USA was also found in Australia, as in real life. Australia's Hughes held office longer, as the Country Party swallowed its hatred in a compromise, as Hughes slightly lowered tariffs and price controls to please them. He retired after the 1925 elections, as his coalition fell apart, leaving Matthew Charlton prime minister. The maritime industries crisis was butterflied out. In the 1931 election, Stanley Bruce easily defeated the Labor Party, leaving him with a large mandate.

I sincerely hope I didn't embarrass myself with the alternate Australia in this timeline, as you know, I am not an expert on that country's history.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2010, 11:32:02 PM by NiK »

I'm just curious, but what is the U.S. population in 1936 in this TL? Since Wilson did not implement immigration quotes in the 1920s, it should be somewhat higher than in RL. BTW, were there any immigration quotes implemented after Wilson?

Good question. I believe I mentioned that Robinson implemented quotas in 1929 (If I did not, I shall go revise it), anyways, it is quite larger, as the post-war economic boom led to an influx of European immigrants, especially from Southern and Eastern Europe. These immigrants are more responsive to radical ideologies then other Americans, leading the nativist movement to brand them as subversives. They overwhelming supported Hoover in 1932, but split in 1936, narrowly supporting him but quite receptive to Long's policies.

Nevertheless, the US Population in the 1930 Census was about 130,112,000, eight million people more then in OTL.

EDIT: I did in fact mention it. From 1930 onward, immigration was capped at 150,000.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »

Hey guys, I caught a minor mistake in Senate Results and corrected it, I hope most of you didn't notice. Tongue An update is in the works.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »

What is going with Harry S Truman ITTL?

Harry Truman is a Republican in this TL, and was a candidate for Governor of Missouri in 1936, but he lost to his arch-rival, Lloyd C. Stark, in the general election.  Truman ran on an anti-Pendergast line, as did Stark, however Stark was able to win the election narrowly due to the Republican weakness in the state.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2010, 10:07:19 PM »

Whoops, posted early. NVM
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2010, 11:36:03 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2010, 05:22:28 PM by NiK »

The Second Term of Herbert Hoover

On a chilly March 4th, 1937, President Herbert Hoover is sworn in by Chief Justice Benjamin Cardozo for a second term as President of the United States. Elected by a much reduced margin, the president did not have his work cut out for him. Congress, while maintaining hefty Republican majorities in both chambers, was littered with men fascinated by different ideologies and different ways of thinking. The rise of Huey Long's "Share Our Wealth" organization had further complicated the matter.

The new session was marked with a referendum on the future of Hoover's spending policies. The thirteen congressional members from the Share Our Wealth Party greatly wish to implement a series of new reforms, the prime purpose of which to be redistributing wealth from the upper to lower classes. The Democrats and Republicans, they claimed, stood for the old order of corruption and excessive greed. Huey Long, as the symbol of the party, launched the new language of his party on the Senate floor: "Friends, enemies, colleagues... the system of evil is collapsing, and a new America will take its place... one filled with tolerance, equality, and peace. If the reforms of the Share Our Wealth Party become law, I promise each and every one of you... that every man will be a king!"

The party was unlucky. Very few of its proposals in the 75th Congress became law, but it did have some influence on the spending policies of President Hoover, leading to his decision to keep pumping money into the American economy. However, little legislation was crafted in each session, owing partly to the bitter divisions not only in the parties, but in the philosophy of the people.

On July 14th, former President Joseph T. Robinson unexpectedly died. The nation does not care greatly; many Americans hate the man they believe responsible for their woes. However, the President declares a day of mourning, and treats him to a state funeral.

Herbert Hoover, however, took increasing notice to international affairs. Hosting King Edward VIII of the United Kingdom in July, the President inflicted an infatuation upon the King; that of humanitarianism. Discussing ways that both nations could improve the lives of its people, the two men instantly became friends. King Edward returned to Britain a changed man; he would dedicate the rest of his long life to the betterment of his countrymen, taking up an unprecedented role of "Activist Monarch."

Not all, however, was cheerful in transatlantic relations; The League of Nations appeared to be weakening in strength. Germany and the Soviet Union had agreed to an assistance pact, as the two outcast nations of Europe shared a common goal of territorial and economic gain. The Third Reich, consolidating its power, had withdraws from the League, provoking hostility from a former president. Charles Evans Hughes, the leading member of the League's Assembly, proclaims "The actions of Führer Hitler is an abomination to every thinking man in the United States, League of Nations, and indeed, the World." Rearming on its eastern and western borders, the nation took a leap of faith into the unknown.

President Herbert Hoover returns from Europe, proclaiming that peace was the policy of this administration, and that it will be lasting. For this address, he is greatly admired.

Appearing before his people at a "Rally for the Reich", the leader demanded that the nation of Czechoslovakia hand over the Sudetenland. The nations of America and Britain had no agreements of assistance with the country, but France had "guaranteed" the Czech people, meaning that in the event of an invasion, France would engage with war with Germany. It appears war is imminent. Fearing conflict, President Hoover travels to Munich, meeting with the most prominent European leaders. Significantly, the nation in question, Czechoslovakia, is excluded from the conference. The six "wise men", Hoover, Chamberlain, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, and Prime Minister Abel Gardey of France, quarreled over the end result. Finally, the governments backed down from war, agreeing to a policy set forth by President Hoover, allowing accommodation for Hitler's policy of Lebensraum by granting Hitler the right to the territories, but allowing for the rest of Czechoslovakia to continue undisturbed. Trying to the make it a lasting peace, the United States secretly guarantees the rest of independent Czechoslovakia, and speeds up dialogue with Poland, a likely target of Hitler's next great wave of expansion. Proclaiming "peace is the policy of our time", Hoover returns to the United States an international hero. He is celebrated splendidly, being featured as Time Magazine's "Man of the Year", and is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. To the people, in a time of tyrants, he was a legitimate hero. But, as the president would soon discover, time waits for no man...

Coming Up: "Which Way to Lebensraum?"
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2010, 12:20:12 AM »

Great update. Hopefully Hoover will be much more aggressive than FDR in containing Germany. Also, I hope the state of Israel is created soon.

It actually was already; I mentioned in a prior update that Israel, which was under joint American-British occupation following the Great War, was set up under a system of government similar to the US. Grin

Most of my updates on that centered on American-occupied Iraq, so it was easy to miss. Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2010, 12:28:01 AM »

Great update. Hopefully Hoover will be much more aggressive than FDR in containing Germany. Also, I hope the state of Israel is created soon.

It actually was already; I mentioned in a prior update that Israel, which was under joint American-British occupation following the Great War, was set up under a system of government similar to the US. Grin

Most of my updates on that centered on American-occupied Iraq, so it was easy to miss. Smiley

Thanks. I'll make sure to reread the last several posts. Just out of curiousity, how come you failed to post the first time (at 10 p.m.)?

Ah, well, I was typing it in the dialog box, and accidentally clicked post instead of preview. I didn't want anyone to see, since it wasn't complete yet. Smiley

Which reminds me, I forgot to add an image.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2010, 05:24:33 PM »

Awesome update Nik, Looks like Hoover's appeasment policies are going to really come back and bite him in the ass as 1939 looms closer. Itll be intersting to see if Huey can sustain his popular support and possibly throw off both political parties. But like you said, Time waits for no man...Keep it comming.

Well, it is still 1937, so maybe he'll get in trouble sooner. Smiley

All of you can expect updates to be much more frequent after next week, since school is winding down and the lacrosse season is almost over. Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2010, 05:39:48 PM »

Hopefully I can get it up today, sorry for the delay.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2010, 01:18:34 PM »

BUMP

I actually finished the update about two weeks ago, I am just waiting on Xahar to finish editing for grammar mistakes, historical inaccuracies, etc. Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2010, 06:14:20 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2010, 11:29:06 PM by NiK »

In January, President Hoover and his Secretary of Agriculture, Henry Wallace, depart for Tokyo, Japan, to be hosted by Emperor Yasuhito. The two discuss matters of their personal lives; but also of the fragile world situation. While Germany had been somewhat contained, it had become clear that should it make a move of aggression, war would soon follow. Japan had little concern for Europe, but it was interested in Hitler's "friend" to its north. It was concluded between the two that in the case of war between the Soviets and Japanese, the US would assist Japan through industrial production and food distribution.

Meanwhile, in the United Kingdom, Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, exhilarated by President Hoover's diplomatic breakthrough, calls a snap April 1938 election. The Leader of the Opposition, Arthur Greenwood of the Labour Party, embarks on a relatively modern campaign. Calling for readiness against the 'Hun' threat, Labour MPs slam the government at every angle. Chamberlain's Conservatives counter with the notion that a Labour government would be dangerous for international stability, and that a Labour government would cause a new cycle of economic woes. On April 21st, 1938, the Conservative party elects a much reduced Conservative majority, with Labour gaining 131 seats.

In July, Adolf Hitler meets with Josef Stalin, his nominal ally and ideological opposite. The two make preparations for a swift "Blitzkrieg" into Eastern Europe, with the Soviet Union being granted Finland, Romania and Eastern Poland, and Germany being granted Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Western Poland. Behind the scenes, however, the two dictators plot war with one another; for they both is in possession of a commodity the other wants. The German dictator dreams of his "Greater Germany," a proposed realm that would extend from the Dnieper to the Rhine. The Russian dictator, in contrast, is fascinated by the concept of global communism, and believes that beyond his borders lies a world ripe for revolution. To both leaders, it is clear that their "partner" is just a means to an end. Grinning from ear-to-ear, the two leaders sign the Bipartite Pact, creating what Charles Evans Hughes described as "The Axis of Evil."

On September 1st, 1938, Germany and the Soviet Union jointly strike the borders of Poland, rendering the country helpless. On September 2nd, 1938, German forces invade the remnants of Czechoslovakia, directly defying the Munich Agreement. In the United States, President Hoover requests a declaration of war against the Axis, and after a short debate, he received it, albeit with a non-unanimous vote. 7 senators and 22 congressmen, including Huey Long, Robert M. La Follete, and Jeanette Rankin. Declaring "That the world must be made safe for democracy," Herbert Hoover transforms overnight into a war president.

An American cartoon mocks the closeness of Germany and the Soviet Union.

The governments of Britain and France declared war on the two nations directly after the United States, condemning the actions of the aggressors. The three nations, recreating the same process from the Great War, set up a joint board of military and diplomatic officials, to relay concerns through each government.

On September 16th, Charles Evans Hughes arises from the League's Assembly, and storms into a fiery tirade amongst the floor: "Never before have we seen such insolence from a foreign power. Never before have we witnessed such might. Never before have we been faced with such problems. And never before have we seen such a union of nations willing to face such evil." In the wake of Hughes' stirring speech, the League of Nations - Hughes' creation - issues a statement denouncing Germany and the Soviet Union.

By Mid-October, Poland had been subdued, Czechoslovakia conquered, and Hungary annexed. A new phenomenon, the "Air Raid," had led to swift attacks on Paris and London by the German Luftwaffe. The shocked populace of the two countries begin a pilgrimage to the countryside, hoping to avoid the danger of the cities.

1938 Congressional Elections:

The first wartime election in twenty years, Hoover's embarrassing flop as a peacemaker leads to small Democratic gains in both the Senate and House, but also gives Huey Long's disoriented Share Our Wealth Party a unique opportunity, as the result had given the nation a "hung" Congress.

Senate Results:

Republicans: 51 (-3)
Democrats: 45 (+3)
Share Our Wealth: 2 (+0)

House Results:

Republicans: 216 (-37)
Democrats: 210 (+39)
Share Our Wealth: 9 (-2)

Next Update: The Warsaw Pact
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2011, 07:33:42 PM »

Should I do a remake of this? Right now, I'm looking at something that I could have made a lot better. This timeline has far too many cliches, completely ignores the butterfly effect, and has a lot of missed opportunities.

Or would you guys prefer a different timeline? I'm contemplating ideas.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies