Vive Le Hughes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:04:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Vive Le Hughes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vive Le Hughes  (Read 57729 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« on: January 03, 2010, 09:07:55 PM »

Should be pretty good.

Note: President-elect might be a more appropriate term, especially considering the longer lame-duck period.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:21:29 PM »

Very exciting!

Also, has Hughes had any trouble about loosing the popular vote by about three points?

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that. At first there was some outrage among Democratic camps and in the newspapers, but it was much less big a deal come January and February. Wilson was bitter about it, as he generally liked the American system of government altogether.

Thanks for the compliment. Cheesy

i remember reading that Wilson said that he would've preferred that America had a parliamentary system instead.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »

Very good! I hope Hughes wins re-election.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 07:01:15 PM »

I thought that if Hughes won, WWI would end on a different date due to the butterfly effect.
The butterfly effect doesn't automatically mean something happens/doesn't happen. Example: Just because Hughes was President instead of Wilson doesn't mean the League of Nations won't be formed.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2010, 11:41:04 PM by Mr. Crowley »

Excellent update. As a Christian, I'm not going to express joy over Wilson's death, but.... Wink

also liked that you lifted the Headache quote. Keep it coming!

Edit: Go Silent Cal!!!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:58:34 AM »

Coolidge in '32!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 02:10:56 AM »

Good so far, but I think the GOP gained way too many seats in the Senate in 1930. There were only 33 Senate seats (I believe) for election that year, and the GOP had some of those Senate seats before 1930, so I seriously doubt the Democrats would lose all (or almost all) their Senate seats that were up for election that year. A more realistic gain for be 10 Senate seats for the Republicans. In 1930 in RL the Democrats gained 8 Senate seats, and the absolute maximum that the Democrats could have picked up that year was 20 Senate seats. I seriously doubt that the GOP will win the absolute maximum number of seats up for election that year--some Democratic incumbents in the South will survive. You know that only one-third of all seats in the Senate are up for election every two years, right? Other than that, keep up the good work.

Well, perhaps, but I noticed that the Democrats were *really* overinflated from their victories prior. I mean, who could imagine a Democratic majority of 58 in the twenties? Unthinkable. In RL 1928, The Democrats had 35 seats, so I just pushed them down to those levels.

Yes I know that one third of seats are up at midterms.

Even if the Dems were overinflated from their RL levels, that doesn't mean they will lose that much seats at once. Maybe in two elections, but since only one-third of Senate seats are up for election, that just seems to much to lose in one election. I'm assming you're not keeping a chart of which Senators are up for election are which ones are not? If not, I would honestly suggest making the Democrats lose about 10 seats. It's just so much more realistic. I seriously doubt there would be 21 vulnerable Democrats in that one election cycle--maybe in two or three election cycles, but not in one.

Well... ok. I'll change the seats to a net loss of sixteen instead.

Well, I am keeping (somewhat) of a chart, but I've been focusing on the people who are most crucial to the timeline working. I'm just a bit too lazy to go through everything, though.

It's good that you reduced the number of seats lost, but I still think that number should be reduced further. I believe the highest number of seats lost in one election after 1894 was 13 seats (which the GOP lost) in 1932. Thus, I think that the ideal loss for the Dems in this scenario would be 7-13 Senate seats. In RL, the GOP's large Senate majority was reduced throughout the course of several elections (1930, 1932, 1934, and 1936), with each election being a loss of 7-13 seats for the GOP. Thus, I think it would be most realistic for the Democrats to lose about 10 seats this cycle, with about 10 the next election, and another 10 the following election. I think that if there would be an approxiamtely equal number of vulnerable Senate Democrats in each of the election cycles (1930, 1932, and 1934), and if there would be about 30 vulnerable Democrats (out of 58, I believe), that would equal to a loss of about 10 Senate seats in each cycle.  Besides, since the Dems didn't massively increase their Senate numbers in either 1924, 1926, or 1928, there would be no reason for them to lose so many seats and have so many vulnerable incumbents in this election.

For god's sake Roch, quit nitpicking.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 02:14:24 AM »

This is frankly embarrassing me, but fine, I'll put it down to 12 seats.
Please don't. I never nit-pick about the numbers, but don't let someone write your TL for you.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 02:50:16 PM »

Very well done, NiK!

I would expect Hoover to govern in 1932 the same exact way you have him doing. More!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »

Keep it coming NiK!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies