Most religious congressional district in the US? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 03:36:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most religious congressional district in the US? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most religious congressional district in the US?  (Read 10360 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: January 13, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »

Most uniformly God-believing?
Most uniformly church-attending?
Most uniformly organized religion-subscribing?
Most uniformly evangelical?
Most uniformly religiously conservative?

There are more different answers than there are same ones.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:52:18 PM »

-Most religious district held by a Democrat

ND-AL or SD-AL. Obviously.

There's certainly more militant atheists here than in majority black districts in the Deep South. I know a bunch.

ND has the lowest percent of non-religious people of any state, per the best survey - 3%.  That is even lower than the Deep South areas.  I don't see how militancy of atheists has anything to do with the "religiousness" of an area.  An atheist is an atheist is an atheist.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:16:57 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2008, 10:22:02 AM by Alcon »

-Most religious predominately white district that voted for Kerry - DE - AL

I'm curious how you assess Delaware's religiosity. I couldn't guess, myself.

Parts of it are in the Bible Belt. New Castle County especially.

Huh

New Castle County is a very northeastern area.  It shares nothing in common with the Bible Belt.  I think you mean Kent and Sussex counties, which constitute about a third of the state's population.  And, regardless, any argument you could make for southern Delaware being the most something, there's going to be a Deep South district that's more that thing.

Seventeen percent of Delaware identifies as non-religious, which is not low.  Delaware is really not the most anything, including religious.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2008, 02:20:46 PM by Alcon »

Sorry. Kent and Sussex rather. My bad.

And 17% of Utahns identify as "non-religious", does that mean it's not very religious? I think wherever you get these reports about state religiosity is seriously whacked.

No, that means it has a lot of people who aren't affiliated with a religion.

Delaware is (and this is one hell of a simplification) about 60% northeastern urban/suburban, 10% northeastern rural, 30% peripheral South-like.  That doesn't add up to a state more religious than anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon by any logical definition of the term "religiosity."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 10:38:10 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2008, 12:36:29 AM by Alcon »

I think the 3rd may well have been the least religous to have voted for Bush in 2004. Yay!

Maybe so...although Clark County is pretty status-quo suburban-y.  And Lewis County is pretty big on the Jesus.  Olympia, on the other hand...

Most non-religious people, I'd probably bet WY-AL or maybe one of the NV districts.  Who knows, though?  WA-3 is a possibility.

(Edit: Oh duh, VT-AL is up there.)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 11:14:23 PM »

Yeah.

Damn Census punks.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 12:31:01 AM »

Well, religion can be very sensitive. Not many Muslims would feel safe putting down their religions, and it keeps the separation of church and state discrete.

True, although Canada does manage OK.  I understand the sensitivity as a U.S. citizen, but it frustrates me as a stats geek.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies