Most religious congressional district in the US? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 06:17:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most religious congressional district in the US? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most religious congressional district in the US?  (Read 10279 times)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« on: January 14, 2008, 08:09:55 PM »

Definitely not that. Major urban centers always have a significant population of immigrants, minorities and poor whites who tend to be religious. The suburban districts there are probably far less so.

Actually Seattle is an odd city, the population is two-third White, and its largest minority group is Asian which tends to be rather nonreligious. Tacoma has a larger minority population actually.  Next door, Bellevue is a suburb with a large immigrant population, but is still mostly nonreligious. Overall, the Seattle area lacks much religious following although in some exurbs you might find some very religious people. My district (the 8th) is probably the least religious state with a Republican in office, mostly because people here are quite fiscally conservative.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:46:10 PM »

I think the 3rd may well have been the least religous to have voted for Bush in 2004. Yay!

Maybe so...although Clark County is pretty status-quo suburban-y.  And Lewis County is pretty big on the Jesus.  Olympia, on the other hand...

Most non-religious people, I'd probably bet WY-AL or maybe one of the NV districts.  Who knows, though?  WA-3 is a possibility.

We probably won't ever find the answers, these facts are definitely not produced on a district level.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 12:16:13 AM »

Well, religion can be very sensitive. Not many Muslims would feel safe putting down their religions, and it keeps the separation of church and state discrete.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 10:11:52 PM »

My standard is that anyone who uses contraception is not a Catholic.

My Aunt is a devout Catholic who supports contraceptives, instead of abortion. I had a strong argument with her. She would never use contraceptives; she had a difficult enough time having a child, but she would support people who actually use them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies