Redistricting Utah with four districts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:27:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Redistricting Utah with four districts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Redistricting Utah with four districts  (Read 4168 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« on: January 22, 2008, 08:43:28 AM »

Here's my version with projected 2010 populations. The Salt Lake City district omits the Sandy / South Jordan area which attaches to the eastern and southern counties.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »

I was thinking an incidental gerrymander, not something so aggressive.  SLC proper probably voted for Kerry.  I guess it would depend how the inner-rung suburban areas voted.  If they were heavily Bush, it'd probably end up Bush by a few points.  But if there are any moderate inner-rung suburban areas, you might get a very slightly Kerry CD.

I found this link useful for differentiating among SLC sprawl for political habits.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3762929

Using the percentages on the linked map, the SLC district in my map would be very close to 50-50. On that linked map Midvale, Sandy, South Jordan, Riverton, Bluffdale, and Draper are in the district that stretches east and south, and the whole district would be about 70% R based on the vote in 2004. The rest of the linked map plus some unincorporated communities east of the area shown with percentages makes up my SLC district. For the record the other two districts are 79% and 86% R based on 2004 votes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies