Out of the Blue: A President Reagan in '68 TL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 05:23:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Out of the Blue: A President Reagan in '68 TL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Out of the Blue: A President Reagan in '68 TL  (Read 70846 times)
Historico
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2009, 10:47:11 AM »

After a much needed break, I thought Id give you all a little token of my appreciation this Labor Day Weekend. However, due to classes at University already kicking up, I can't tell you when ill have the installment up on the 1996 US Presidential Election...but know that I fully intend the finish this timeline whether by the end of this year or rolling it into 2010:D...So enjoy.

The Virtue of Moderation: Part 2

The Nation’s First Female President became reinvigorated after her party’s successful pick ups in the 1994 Midterm elections, including a filibuster proof majority in the Senate. Maureen Reagan, with her personal popularity mainly due to her focus on foreign affairs during the first half of her term, decided that for her reelection purposes a dire focus on the American Domestic situation had to be made. In the first few months of 1995, President Reagan met frequently with Senate Majority Leader George H.W. Bush of Texas, Vice President John Warner of Virginia, and Speaker of the House Newt Ginrich of Georgia, to discuss an implementation of sprawling moderate to conservative Legislation of the course of the next two years. On January 28th 1995, President Reagan unveiled, A Future for America, a legislative package written chiefly by members of the Heritage Foundation Think Tank and congressional members. The series of Policy Reforms bills, included measures on tax cuts on the personal and private sector, social security reform, tort reform and term limits for legislators. After the Speech, both Gallup and Rasmussen Polling firms showed that around 65% of American’s supported any kind of reform to help streamline the American Federal Government.

One of the first Act to be submitted to Congress, was that of The Fiscal Responsibility Act on March 4th 1995. Written chiefly by, Congressman Bill Paxon of New York, that the FRA called for an Amendment to the Constitution that would require an annual Balanced Budget. The FRA was also packaged with legislation that would have enabled the President to have the power of the Line-Item Veto. However, many Congressional Democrats were unsure of the constitutionality of the FRA, with Senator Harvey Gannt of North Carolina declaring “That you can not simply changes a few articles of the Constitution and get away with it.”. In the fall of 1995, Public Support for the Amendment had stalled, which prompted President Reagan to give a nationally televised address from the Oval Office about the details of the FRA. In the address, Maureen said “Tonight I ask you to give me what forty-three governors have…Give me a line-item veto this year. Give me the authority to veto waste, and I'll take the responsibility, I'll make the cuts, I'll take the heat!” With the debate reinvigorated by the President’s address, the FRA passed through the house on a two thirds margin (300-132) on September 4th. After weeks of rankling by the Senate, with the GOP voting in party lines along with votes from the Reform Party Senators and a handful of Blue Dog Democrats…The Fiscal Responsibility Act passed on a 70 to 30 margin, which sent the Amendment to the states for Ratification. President Maureen Reagan with Senator’s Bob Dole, John McCain and John Chafee at her side, signed the Line Item Veto portion of the Act on October 12th 1995.

Senator Harvey Gantt of North Carolina, a staunch defender against the Fiscal Responsability Act of 1995

Yet the last two years of Maureen’s first term proved to be struck by tragedy, both on a personal and national level. The national tragedy was felt first, as on April 19th 1995, when a fertilizer filled truck bomb exploded outside the Alfred P. Murrah building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. More than 100 people were killed, when the north face of the building collapsed as a result of the explosion. In the night after the explosion, A cold, resolute Maureen Reagan appeared before a Joint Session of Congress in response to the Attack. In the address, Reagan said “I make a promise to every soul in America, that these Men, who slaughtered innocent American lives, will be found, tried and punished for their incomprehensible acts against not only the United States but Humanity as a whole.” After the attack, Emergence crews from across the nation searched through the ruble which allowed the final death toll to stand at 170, including 19 young children who were in the Day Care Center at the time. With the largest manhunt in American History for the worst act of Terrorism on Domestic Soil found the culprit of the attacks in 27 year old Timothy McVeigh. When it was discovered that McVeigh and his associates were members in a radical right wing militia groups, President Reagan via executive order called for all unregistered militia groups to be disbanded, weapons stockpiles confiscated, and some of the more unstable members of the militia groups interrogated by the FBI/CIA. Mcveigh himself was convicted on 15 counts of murder and conspiracy and sentenced to death by lethal injection on June 2nd 1997.

04/19/95...A Day which will live in Infamy

A more personal tragedy stuck President Reagan a few months after the Oklahoma City Bombing, when her father…the nation’s 37th President, Ronald W. Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in August of 1995. At the age of 84, the former President’s mental health had been rumored to be deteriorating since the mid ‘80’s. After discussing it with family, President Maureen Reagan emotionally read her father’s handwritten letter to the nation; in which he said “I have recently been told that I am one of the millions of Americans who will be afflicted with Alzheimer's disease... At the moment I feel just fine. I intend to live the remainder of the years God gives me on this earth doing the things I have always done... I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead. Thank you, my friends. May God always bless you…” public sympathy poured out for the Reagan family, as a result of pressed Maureen Reagan’s approval rating to a remarkable 80%. Maureen would spend the rest of her public career devoted to seeing that her father’s dreams for the nation would be finally realized during her Presidency.

Former President Ronald Reagan having lunch with Senate Majority Leader George H.W. Bush at the Reagan Ranch in Santa Barbara, California.

For the majority of 1996, The Republican controlled 104th congress kept the bawl rolling, as President Reagan focused a majority of her time campaigning across the nation for her reelection. Several acts mentioned in the Future For America Plan were passed during this interim period including the Taking Back our Streets Act, which was another strong Anti-Crime bill. The Personal Responsibility Act was passed in May of 1996, which cut spending on Welfare programs by means of discouraging teen pregnancy and lack of incentives to work. The PRA was achieved by prohibiting welfare to mothers less than 18 years of age, denying increased AFDC for additional children while on welfare, and enacting a two-years-and-out provision with work requirements to promote individual responsibility. The American Dream Restoration Act was also passed, which called for a repeal of the marriage tax, $500 per child tax credit, and an across the board Federal Savings Accounts to provide middle class tax relief. Tort Reform was visualized in the “Common Sense” Legal Reform Act, in order to cut down on frivolous litigation. A crucial package in the form of the JCAWEA (Job Creation and Wage Enhancement), to rebuke the Democratic argument that the Reagan administration had seen an slew of job losses due to the supply side economics enacted in 1993. The JCAWEA included provisions for a cut in capital gains taxes and indexation, risk assessment/Cost-Benefit anaylsis, a series of deregulations, and a minimum wage increase. It was passed right around the Republican National Convention, as many pundits rolled it into the high bump received by the incumbent Reagan/Warner ticket.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2009, 05:55:23 PM »

Its nice to see Harvey Gannt in the senate. Looking forward to the 96' election.
Historico
United States

« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2009, 09:51:31 AM »

Its nice to see Harvey Gannt in the senate. Looking forward to the 96' election.

Thanks Gio...I really do have an interesting race planned for '96 lol...Any other Comments, Questions, Thoughts or replies?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2009, 09:16:57 AM »

Gantt 96'!.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »

Historico, when can we expect an update?
Historico
United States

« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2009, 10:23:14 AM »

Sorry guy's write now this timeline is on a temporary hiatus, with my Professor's already pulling out Research Paper's already and Ive started working on my novel. So, just know that I fully intend to come back to this timeline(I only got 12 years to go lol)
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2009, 02:41:50 PM »

Thou art bumped to thine position on first page.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2009, 06:38:52 AM »

Historico
United States

« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »

A Ballad for Susan: The 1996 US Presidential Election

The 1996 Republican Nomination

After a fairly successful first term and with approval ratings floating around the mid-50’s…President Maureen Reagan looked forward to a challenge free road to the nomination. That would prove not be the case, as on October 10th 1995, when her father’s former Advisor/Speechwriter and popular Conservative Commentator Patrick J. “Pat” Buchanan of DC announced his intention to seek the Presidency. Buchanan felt as if the President had moved to far from her initial base of Social Conservatives, and her negligence to support the Defense of Marriage Act, Interventionist Foreign Policy and Pro-Amnesty stance on Illegal Immigration Reform had weakened America on all fronts. The Conservative guru received endorsements from Reverend Pat Robertson of Virginia, Senator David Duke of Louisiana and Representative Robert K. “Bob” Dornan of California.

Time Cover on Patrick Buchanan's insurgent campaign for the Presidency

With that being said, It was fairly easily for the Reagan/Warner reelection campaign to paint the Buchanan group as a dangerous group of Right-Wing Extremists. Buchanan focused on rallying evangelical support in the few months leading up to the February contests, which would prove not to be enough. On February 12th in Iowa, Pat only won 25% of the vote, followed by New Hampshire on the 20th with 30% of the vote. After failing to receive 20% of the vote in Delaware, Arizona, North Dakota, and South Dakota, Buchanan hoped his support amongst southern Social Conservatives would allow him a much needed comeback. On March 2nd, President Reagan won the South Carolina primaries with 57% of the vote to Buchanan’s 43%. Low on funds, Patrick Buchanan dropped out the night of the South Carolina Primary and begrudgingly endorsed President Reagan.

The attempt to usurp a sitting President failed, Maureen Reagan and John Warner came into the 1996 Republican National Convention in San Diego, California to a fairly united party through August 26th-29th. Much to the ire of former Buchanan supporters, most of the high level speaking spots was given to Moderate Republicans. Those included; retiring Senate Majority Leader George H.W. Bush of Texas, Governor William Weld of Massachusetts, former Vice President Howard Baker of Tennessee, Representative Susan Molinari of New York, Governor John Engler of Michigan and Congressman JC Watts of Oklahoma. President Reagan and Vice President Maureen Reagan were re-nominated by acclamation in which both in their acceptance speeches promised a continuation of the successful policies in of the Reagan administration and victory in November.

Congressman J.C. Watts of Oklahoma, Keynote Speaker for the 1996 Republican National Convention
Historico
United States

« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »

The 1996 Democratic Nomination

With Vice President Bayh’s decisive loss in the 1992 Presidential Election, so went the era of the Democratic Triumvirate. For over a decade, President’s Kennedy, Finch, and Bradley dominated the political spectrum and laid the groundwork for the Post-Cold War Era. In the years, following the GOP takeover in 1993, The Democratic Party had yet to find a sole leader in opposition to President Reagan’s popular policies. In the race for the Democratic nomination in 1996, three figures emerged, each representing a core constituency of the Party to make claim for the nomination. The first to announce their candidacy for the nomination was that of incumbent Governor Ann Richards of Texas on May 6th 1995. One of the last Yarborough Democrats, Richard’s successful revitalization of the Texas Economy, Reconstruction of the Penal System and sweeping Education reform placed her almost instantaneously as the frontrunner to the nomination. The 63 year old Governor, received stirring endorsements from; former Vice President Birch Bayh of Indiana, Senator Al Gore of Tennessee, Senator Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia, Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa, Governor Zell Miller of Georgia, former Governor Bill Clinton of Arkansas, Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, and Senator Sam Nunn of Georgia.

However, the wispy haired embodiment of down-home Texas charm’s path to the nomination was anything but clear. In Galveston, Texas on Juneteenth 1995, 130 years after General Granger freed the Slaves of Texas…Governor Jesse Jackson of Illinois announced his candidacy for the Presidency of the United States. Jackson target base, in a massive grassroots campaign that emerged following his announcement was to extend his coalition of Minorities and Blue Collar whites which garnered his success in Illinois outward to the rest of the America. The man who sought to become the Second African American man nominated by either party, received endorsements from Senator Fritz Hollings of South Carolina, Representative Bill Clay of Missouri, Senator Harvey Gantt of North Carolina, former Governor Jerry Brown of California, Senator Joseph P. Kennedy II of Massachusetts, and former President Tom Bradley of California. The final candidate to enter the race was that of Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, who sought to become the first Jewish Presidential nominee of either party. Although he lacked, the charisma of both Richards and Jackson…Lieberman made up for it in his considerable foreign policy experience as he represented the Neoconservative wing of the party. His support from those considered the party establishment included; Governor Bob Casey of Pennsylvania, former Secretary of State Jeanne Kirkpatrick of Oklahoma, Senator Joe Biden of Delaware, Representative Lee Hamilton of Indiana, and Senator Dianne Feinstein of California.

Campaign Bumper Sticker for Senator Joe Lieberman of Conneticut

After months of hand shaking, digestion of chicken dinners, and baby kissing, the three candidates awaited the returns on February 12 of the Iowa Caucus. With 40 percent of the vote, Governor Richards won a narrow victory over her opponents as Jackson took 30% to Lieberman’s 25%. Ann’s populist campaign rhetoric sparked a fuse in America’s heartland, which she hoped would translate into the upcoming New Hampshire Primary. That would not prove to be the case, as on February 20th…Senator Lieberman, in his home region of the Northeast pulled off a strong comeback victory in the Granite state with 52% of the vote. Lieberman’s own momentum was stunted by Governor Jackson only four days later, who pulled off an upset win in Delaware largely due to high black voter turnout. Yet it would be during the last round of primaries in the month of February, which Governor Richards pulled off strong wins in Arizona and the Dakotas.

With no clear cut Presumptive nominee as of yet, all three candidates looked forward to the string of “Mini Tuesdays” held during the third month of the Georgian year as a chance to take the nomination. In the close race of the South Carolina primary on March 2nd, Jackson prevailed against Richards 35 to 30 vote margin. After Jackson’s win in South Carolina, all three candidates amped up the character assaults on one another. Senator Lieberman portrayed Governor Jackson support for the formation of Palestinian State and drastic Department of Defense cuts as “The delusions of a dangerous Radical, who doesn’t know a single thing about foreign affairs.” Governor Jackson would respond in kind, “If it were up to Joe, he would have moved the Knesset over Capitol Hill a long time ago.” Governor Ann Richards was able to remain somewhat above the fray as she said “Well, all I can tell you is that Boys will be Boys and that I can take a couple of licks…and give a few to.” The Results on March 5th emerged with Richards taking only Colorado; Jesse in Georgia, Puerto Rico, and Maryland; Lieberman in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Vermont. The Senator from Connecticut won an incredibly narrow victory over Governor Jackson in New York on the 7th of March. Despite his successes in his home region, many voters found Lieberman’s clamminess unpalatable as his poor performance in the “Southern” primaries on March 19th proved. Richards and Jackson would split the remaining Southern states with Ann taking Oregon, Oklahoma, Tennessee plus her home state of Texas; while Jesse ran away with victories in Louisiana, Florida and Mississippi.

Governor Jesse Jackson of Illinois on the Campaign Trail

Depleted on funds, Senator Lieberman officially suspended his campaign during the primary night much to the dismay of voter’s who felt Richards and Jackson were of the same cloth when it came to Foreign Policy. In the lead up to the Delegate rich primaries on March 26th, Joe endorsed Governor Ann Richards for the nomination in Los Angeles, California, where he said “Governor Jesse Jackson is a gifted and eloquent man who I think can do great things for our country in the years ahead, but, my friends, eloquence is no substitute for a record, not in these tough times for America. I urge all of those whom supported my campaign to welcome Governor Richards open arms.” The Lieberman bump not only added to Richard’s increasing Delegate lead over Jackson but also ensured her victories in California, Ohio, Nevada and Washington. Mainly due to union support, the former Reverend won over working class voters Michigan, Wisconsin and his home state of Illinois. Despite Richards lead in Delegates, Jackson vowed to continue to fight at least until the end of the Primary season. In the lead up to the April 23rd crucial Pennsylvania Primary, Richards in order to distinguish herself from Jackson focused her Populist strategy in rural communities while Jackson focused on the industrial cities of Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania. Richards prevailed in the hotly contested race on a 51 to 49 vote margin.

The final two months of the 1996 Democratic Primary Race, became fully submerged in the “Silly Season” for character attacks against one another. Rumors circulated about Governor Jackson being a lukewarm Anti-Semite and Governor Richards being a closeted Lesbian were released by various lower members of the two governor’s campaign staff. By the night of June 4th, many Superdelegates within the party felt comfortable in declaring Governor Ann Richards as the Presumptive nominee with wins in Indiana, Nebraska, West Virginia, Arkansas, Idaho, Montana and New Mexico. Governor Jesse Jackson only secured victories in the District of Columbia, North Carolina, Alabama and a narrow win in New Jersey. Seeing the writing on the wall, Governor Jackson graciously conceded the race and at Unity event in Unity, New Hampshire fully endorsed the Wispy-haired Governor for the nomination.

Final Results of the 1996 Democratic Primaries

Historico
United States

« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2009, 05:45:03 PM »

However, the catharsis felt by many Jackson delegates was somewhat amplified when Governor Richards released her short list for Running mates on July 4th. The list included Senator Paul Tsongas of Massachusetts, Governor Bob Casey of Pennsylvania, Senator Bob Graham of Florida, District Attorney John F. Kennedy Jr. of New York, Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska and Governor Bob Miller of Nevada. Many within the Jackson campaign felt as if due to his strong second place finish, Governor Jackson was owed the No.2 spot on the topic. Governor Richards flatly refused as she said in Private “There is no way in hell, America is going to elect a ticket with a White Woman and a Black Male!” The 62 year old surprised many when she announced that she chose Dark Horse candidate Senator Bob Kerrey as her running mate. With his decorated Military Background and his strong support for liberal social issues in the Senate, Kerrey was seen as complimentary at best to Richards. Despite some feeling of Catharsis by the Jackson Delegation, the Richards/Kerrey ticked was nominated by acclamation at the Superdome in New Orleans on August 12. In her widely acclaimed acceptance speech, Governor Richards said “I'm really glad that our young people missed the Depression, and missed the great big war. But I do regret that they missed the leaders that I knew. Leaders who told us when things were tough, and that we would have to sacrifice, and these difficulties might last awhile. They didn't tell us things were hard for us because we were different, or isolated, or special interests. They brought us together and they gave us a sense of national purpose. America, on January 20th 1997…I will begin on my mission to live up to those great Leaders!”

Governor Ann Richards of Texas giving her Acceptance Address at the 1996 Democratic National Convention

The 1996 Reform Nomination

The nascent party was enthusiastic about its first true election while it was gearing up for the campaign in 1995. Due to Ross Perot’s Cincinnatus-like decision to not run for a second time, the third party was ineligible to receive matching funds from the Federal Electoral Commission on a technicality. However, high level fundraising from major players such as Donald Trump, Steve Jobs, Michael Bloomberg, and of course Perot himself ensured the party had full coffers going into the General Election. At the Reform Party National Convention in New York City, during the July 4th weekend, two major candidates emerged to take the nomination. The first to announce was that of former Governor/Volpe Secretary of Agriculture Dick Lamm of Colorado. A self-styled Progressive-Conservative with strong Western values, Lamm’s populist rhetoric made him very popular in the South and his home region of the Midwest. While on the stump prior to the Convention, Lamm frequently said “Now I’ve worked for both parties, and let me tell you that both political parties are controlled by special interest money, and I've had enough of it…the Democrats are too close to the trial lawyers and the National Education Association, and don’t let me get started on those Morally Abolitionist Republican’s!”

Former Governor/Secretary of Agriculture Dick Lamm of Colorado

However, Dick Lamm’s string of losses in his home state during the ‘80’s did weaken his claim to the nomination. The second candidate to announce was that of Incumbent Governor Eunice Groark of Connecticut. Survivor of the 1944 Hartford Circus Fire, and second Female Governor who was elected in her own right in 1994, Eunice quickly emerged as a confident rival to Dick. Despite her passage of a controversial earned income tax, her popularity amongst Suburban voters in the Northeast/Pacific Coast who were concerned by the Reagan Administration’s strong pro-globalization stance. After several round of balloting in the Convention Hall, Governor Groark clinched the nomination after she was able to secure delegates from the Industrial belt. Former Secretary Lamm begrudgingly accepted a spot as Groark’s running mate to ensure party unity. Thus the Groark/Lamm ticket pledged in the acceptance address to hold firm on the issues of major Campaign Finance Reform, Anti-Free Trade, and Congressional Term Limits in order to bring true reform to America.
Historico
United States

« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »

The 1996 General Election

For the first time in the history of the United States of America, all of the major parties Presidential nominees were female. However, both Ann and Eunice had the displeasure of having to run against a popular incumbent in President Maureen Reagan. Initial Gallup/Rasmussen polling following the Republican National Convention had Reagan in the lead 45% of the vote, Richards with 35% and Groark at 20%. However, President Reagan was assured by her campaign staff to not take her lead for granted and run on a passive “Rose Garden” Strategy. With the Republican coffers rebounded quickly from Maureen’s early defeat of Pat Buchanan in the Primaries, President Reagan invoked the spirits of progressives the likes of Teddy Roosevelt, Earl Warren and Nelson Rockefeller as she embarked on a 50 state campaign across the nation in September. Making use of America’s sprawling high speed rail system, Maureen’s Millennial Whistle-stop tour also brought about strong usage of the growing internet as well as
America’s sprawling High Speed Rail linkups…initiated by the Republican Administrations of the Seventies.   

While President Reagan hit the rails, both Governor’s Groark and Richards attempted to play catch up. Richards Campaign advisor James Carville decided to play to Ann’s strength and formulate a unique Electoral Map for the Texas Governor. Richards furiously campaigned in the traditional Republican Mid-West turned Reform leaning states in which she pushed new Government subsidies for Corn Ethanol Production, trust busting of firms that dominated the growing GMO food industry as well as promising to introduce her “Robin Hood” Education Reform plan on a national scale. Carville also had Richards run slightly to the right, to lock up her support in the South by endorsing increased infrastructure plans as well as being Pro-Flag Desecration Amendment, Pro-Death Penalty etc. On the other hand, Groark Campaign advisor Dick Morris had the lesser known Eunice adopt a strategy dubbed “Triangulation”. Eunice keeping with the Perot strategy of 30 minute Infomercials articulated her ideology as being above and between the polarity of the Democratic and Republican parties. The Connecticut Governor fused Democratic Rhetoric on Anti-Free Trade with Republic Rhetoric on Deregulation. Morris figured that this unique approach would appeal to a more diverse group of voters tired of Washington partisanship.

Governor Eunice Groark, 1996 Reform Party Presidential Nominee out on the campaign trail

All three candidates’ unique campaign styles came to a head in a series of three debates; One Vice-Presidential debate and two Presidential debates were held in the month of October. The first Presidential Debate was held on October 6th, moderated by PBS’ Jim Lehrer over the topic of Foreign Policy. Both Governor’s Groark and Richards attacked Maureen on her interventionist foreign policy to the point where Eunice said “While Maureen is away fighting little squabbles in third world nations, Totalitarian Regimes like that in China are allowed to continue Human Rights violations with as to much of a mention.” However, Maureen managed to win the Debate through the acquired diplomatic knowledge learned in her four years as President, and vowed to continue to end Genocide wherever they might arise. Three days later, the Vice Presidential Debate was held between Vice President John Warner of Virginia, Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, and former Governor Dick Lamm of Colorado. Lamm, was seen to have won the debate largely due to his bombastic personality reminding viewers of Ross Perot attacked Warner as being senile and accused Bob Kerrey of leading the Thanh Phong massacre. Kerry responded to the accusations, in which he said “You can never, can never get away from it. It darkens your day. I thought dying for your country was the worst thing that could happen to you, and I don't think it is. I think killing for your country can be a lot worse.” In the final Town-Hall style debate held on October 16th in St. Louis, Missouri…Groark, Reagan and Richards highlighted their respective viewpoints. Due to the debate style, Ann Richards was perceived as having won, as she portrayed Eunice and Maureen as one of the same for the support of Supply Side Economics. Yet, President Reagan solidified support amongst her constituents when she replied, “I’m not sure if Ann got the memo…but tell her that the Eighties are long gone and the Era of Big Government is over.”

Last Minute Campaign swing through the Midwest by Governor Richards

During the aftermath of debates, more investigations went in on Democratic vice Presidential Nominee Bob Kerrey’s involvement in the killings of women and children in the Vietnam War. Governor Eunice Groark would also face her own Running mate problem as Lamm made a series of Gaffe’s in the lead up to November 5th. Gallup/Rasmussen polling had Maureen still in the lead with around 45% of the vote. As all three campaigns awaited the returns in their respective homes, The results showed that race was a little tighter than expected especially in the South between Richards and Reagan didn’t truly appeal to their more conservative values. Yet, by the morning it was apparent that President Reagan had indeed won her second term on a comfortable margin, and a decent plurality of the popular vote.

Maureen Reagan/John Warner: 354 Electoral Votes
Ann Richards/Robert Kerrey: 141 Electoral Votes
Eunice Groark/Richard Lamm: 43 Electoral Votes
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »

Wow, two female politicians against each other for the Presidency. Great, great TL, Historico! Cheesy
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2009, 05:54:45 PM »

Wow, two three female politicians against each other for the Presidency. Great, great TL, Historico! Cheesy

Very interesting map Historico. Gantt 00'!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2009, 07:02:37 PM »

Wow, two three female politicians against each other for the Presidency. Great, great TL, Historico! Cheesy

Right, I meant two leading, but all-female three way race was amaizing!
Historico
United States

« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »

Wow, two female politicians against each other for the Presidency. Great, great TL, Historico! Cheesy

Thanks Kal, yeah I wanted to kinda do one that really hasnt been done before, especially since im a huge Ann Richards fan. I can't promise and exact date when the next update on Maureen's second term will come, but know I still got things working on this timeline in the back of my head lol.
Historico
United States

« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2009, 02:48:43 PM »

Very interesting map Historico. Gantt 00'!

Lol, you may have to use Ganntt in your timeline's alt '96 or '00 Presidential Nominee, because I will say that I wasn't planning on having him run in any of my future elections. But who knows things could change lol. As for the map, I figured Ann's populist style would appeal really well in the Midwest, but would have a harder time connecting in more Urbanized areas. Eunice would definatley hold onto the Northeast, but probably split enough votes with Ann to narrowly give New York to the President. Thanks for the support Gio
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »

Please Historico, I loved this TL
Historico
United States

« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2009, 11:26:13 AM »

Thanks for the support Guys, I do still have every intention of finishing this timeline, Since I only have 4 weeks of University Left...You all may be getting a Christmahanakwanza Gift this year before it's all over with lol.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »

UPDATE!!!!!!
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »

Keep on going this is the best one i read so far!. Just a little question, i am planning on doing one, but how do you get the pictures on the slides?
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »

Keep on going this is the best one i read so far!. Just a little question, i am planning on doing one, but how do you get the pictures on the slides?

When your replying or posting it's the button directly underneath the italic button.

The HTML code is [img]. You just put the link to the image in there.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »

Thanks for the help.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2009, 12:35:51 PM »

Bump...can't you at least give us the '96 congressional/gubernatorial elections?
Historico
United States

« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2009, 07:38:44 PM »

Bump...can't you at least give us the '96 congressional/gubernatorial elections?

Ask and Ye shall Recieve lol...For All Readers, my next update on the First half of Maureen 2nd Term should be up hopefully by Christmas Day!

1996 US Congressional/Gubernatorial Elections

Despite President Reagan’s resounding Reelection victory, the Republican Party’s filibuster proof majority was fractured by the unique campaign strategies of Ann Richards and Eunice Groark. This was mostly evident due to several through Republican Parties, where the growing Social Conservative movement of the GOP fought to “purge more moderate candidates. Democratic Pickups included Winston Bryant in Arkansas, Tom Strickland in Colorado, Mary Landrieu in Louisiana, Joseph P. Kennedy III in Massachusetts, Tim Johnson in South Dakota and Kathryn J. Whitmire in Texas. In a sole net gain for the Reform party, was the narrow victory of Candidate Becky Shaw in Montana. Conservatives could find solace in the victories of new coming Senators Jeff Sessions in Alabama, Guy Milner in Georgia, Sam Brownback in Kansas, Chuck Hagel in Nebraska, Gordon H. Smith in Oregon and Michael B. Enzi in Wyoming. These Results left Senate totals at 53 to 44 to 3 giving Senate Majority leader Trent Lott of Mississippi the displeasure of holding his President’s fractious coalition of Moderates from the three parties together. Speaker of the House Dick Cheney held a three seat majority over House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt’s Democrats. In the Governor’s Races, Eleven seats were up for grabs and largely followed the Parties nominees victories in those respective states. Republican Victories included Steve Goldsmith in Indiana, Robin Hayes in North Carolina and Cecil Underwood in West Virgina. Democrats won with Tom Carper in Delaware, Mel Carhan in Missouri, Jeanne Shaheen in New Hampshire, and a narrow victory for the nation’s 1st Asian American Governor in Gary Locke of Washington. The Reform Party also secured yet another win on the nation scene, with former Socialist Party member Mary A. “Mal” Herbert in Vermont.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies