West Wing Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 04:27:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  West Wing Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Matt Santos/Leo McGarry (D)

Arnold Vinick/Ray Sullivan (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: West Wing Election  (Read 8499 times)
Bunnybrit
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 05:57:34 PM »

I hope the profiles of the candidates have helped non viwers get an idea of the election.
I have always disagreed with the shows electoral math. Espically when it was said in the 1998 election that Bartlet won the south. I have worked worked out maps for Bartlets 1998 and 200w wins (no maps have been shown) but win know in 1998 he got 303 elec votes. I will post maps. I think they are planning to make this election like ouur 200 election. Maybe no candidate will get enough elec votes and the result will go into the house.
Lt. Gov. Immy
Immy

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2005, 06:36:22 PM »

303 electoral votes equals the 2000 result for Gore plus Texas and New Hampshire (where Hoynes and Bartlett are from).
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2005, 07:31:51 PM »

I am half expecting a run by Pat Butler as an independent, far-right spoiler to try and hurt Vinik.

I still say Leo was a bad VP choice.  He is not known to people outside the party in any part of the nation, has no history of winning elections, is in poor health, failed to control Santos during the DNC, and has made some very poor decisions recently.

The candidate descriptions are excellent.  They would look great on a West Wing web site describing the candidates.

On how the show has treated Republicans: it has been very nice to individuals, but often portrayed the party as the villains of the show.  This was especially true in the early seasons.  It began changing after the election of Bush and really changed for a while after 9-11.  It crept back in but was all but entirely gone in this last season.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2005, 08:13:30 PM »

What time does the show start?  I thought it was Wed's at 9?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2005, 08:16:32 PM »

Last week was the season finale.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2005, 08:17:01 PM »

They left the Election to be continued?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2005, 08:17:16 PM »

What time does the show start?  I thought it was Wed's at 9?

It is on hiatus.

They left the Election to be continued?

Yes.  In November.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2005, 09:11:48 PM »

I am half expecting a run by Pat Butler as an independent, far-right spoiler to try and hurt Vinik.

I still say Leo was a bad VP choice.  He is not known to people outside the party in any part of the nation, has no history of winning elections, is in poor health, failed to control Santos during the DNC, and has made some very poor decisions recently.

The candidate descriptions are excellent.  They would look great on a West Wing web site describing the candidates.

On how the show has treated Republicans: it has been very nice to individuals, but often portrayed the party as the villains of the show.  This was especially true in the early seasons.  It began changing after the election of Bush and really changed for a while after 9-11.  It crept back in but was all but entirely gone in this last season.

There are Republican individuals who have been protrayed sympatheticly and of course the Republican Party will be protrayed as the villian in a Democratic White House, but I thought the character of the Republican nominee for President put all of the stereotypes together into a buffoon who wouldn't politically survive in either party.
Bunnybrit
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2005, 10:59:36 AM »

303 electoral votes equals the 2000 result for Gore plus Texas and New Hampshire (where Hoynes and Bartlett are from).
That is good thinking but that doesnt tie with some of the statements made in the show about Bartlets 1998 election victory(which happended before the show started). I will not reference them against the epsiode they appeared in because that would be sad !!!!
1. He lost Texas(even though it was Hoynes home state)
2. He won Florida
3. He won Oregon by 10,000 votes
4. He did very well in the south(Hoynes says he "delivered the south")
5. But he didnt take Lousianna in 1998(he did in 2002).
5. He did win New Hampshire(his home state)
6. He didnt win Maine.
He got 303 elec votes in 1998(based our worlds 1996/2000 elec votes)he also got 48 million votes and 48% of the vote(which is similar to Clinton`s 1996 victory).
Although  he got 76 less elec votes than Clinton.
Also thanks for the kind comments about the candidate profiles.

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2005, 08:10:58 PM »

Matt Santos/Leo McGarry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2005, 08:36:21 PM »

Here, this senario matches all known criteria for Bartlett '98 and is acctually feasable

Bartlett 303

Other Guy 235
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2005, 07:15:45 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2005, 07:23:20 AM by Justice Ben. »

Here, this senario matches all known criteria for Bartlett '98 and is acctually feasable

Bartlett 303

Other Guy 235

I’ll give ya my two cents, just for fun… Barttlet would seem to have been popular and competitive back in 98 but involved in a tough election, the Democratic Party’s election machine must be better than it was/ is in reality, as John Hoynes, who was a Senator not a congressman, manages to successfully pull a few southern states into the Democratic column. So 98…   

Jeb Bartlett/ John Hoynes (DEM) – 306 EV
Jo Republican/ Kevin Conservative (REP) - 232 

Then this race coming up…

Arnold Vinick/ Ray Sullivan (REP) - 395
Mathew Santos/ Leo McGarry (DEM) - 143
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2005, 05:41:18 PM »

Vinick by all rights should win...he's a Republican from California, the other guy's VP, although I personally like him a lot, isn't exactly scandal-free...

As I've said before, Vinick will die before November 2 and Santos will win when the VP flubs the debates.

Or they'll have Santos win somehow anyway.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2005, 06:11:09 PM »

I maintain my prediction of a close race, but Alda pulling out after a close race.  The show will then become Right Wing
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2005, 06:46:16 PM »

who cares I can't stand the show not because of politics but because it's boring
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2005, 05:22:47 AM »

It is revealed to us at some point that Bartlet carried Georgia and Florida in 1998, but failed to in 2002.

In 1998, Bartlet won Oregon by 10000 votes, and gets exactly 303 electoral votes.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2005, 05:57:54 AM »

He also won Nebraska in 2002, while only winning by about 6% (6 million votes).
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2005, 06:32:37 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2005, 06:34:52 PM by Senator Defarge »

Are you sure? I thought it was more than that

Edit:
" (at 11:01 p.m. EST, the count was Bartlet: 53,766,221.  Ritchie:  42,992,342.  Which is, yes, roughly 11.2%)"
http://b4a.healthyinterest.net/char/jed.html
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2005, 06:46:47 PM »

Are you sure? I thought it was more than that

Edit:
" (at 11:01 p.m. EST, the count was Bartlet: 53,766,221.  Ritchie:  42,992,342.  Which is, yes, roughly 11.2%)"
http://b4a.healthyinterest.net/char/jed.html

Wow, I thought it was only 6 million votes.  I remember when they were talking to Toby's ex-wife, who won by like 47 votes in her CD, someone was saying how every vote counts.  Then Toby said someting about the President wnning by 6 million, though I might be wrong.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2011, 07:31:27 PM »

Actually Jed Bartlett defeated Lewis Eisenhower, who had been Lassiter's vice-president, Eisenhower is a cousin to the Dwight Eisenhower branch of the family, he came from Ohio, let's skip back first, Lassiter defeated Roland Pierce in the 1994 election in a Reaganesque/Nixonesque landslide. Pierce had been Newman's Vice President. At the end of Bartlett's presidency, Congressman Matt Santos of Texas who defeated Arnold Vinick 272 to 266 in 2006 election, and selected Governor Eric Baker of Pennsylvania to be his new Veep, as Leo McGarry dies on Election night. Arnold Vinick becomes Secretary of State, Josh Lyman WH Chief of Staff, Sam Seaborn Deputy WH chief of Staff, Lou Thornton WH communications Director. By late 2009 as presidential terms are for example from 2007 to 2011, Lyman has become DNC chairman, Sam Seaborn is running for Senate in California in 2010 cycle against Richard Lassiter son of President Owen Lassiter. The 2010 Election is hotly contested, Eric Baker has resigned as VP due to stroke he suffered and Senator Wendell Tripplehorn of South Dakota has replaced him. Glenallen Walken the former House Speaker and Acting President with Senator Elizabeth Clark of Texas defeat Santos-Tripplehorn on Nov. 2 2010 and Sam Seaborn wins his seat in California, my question how do Walken-Clark do against who the Democrats decide to field in 2014? Discuss with maps. Arnold Vinick by the way stays at State under Walken a wise choice.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2011, 07:48:15 PM »

Actually Jed Bartlett defeated Lewis Eisenhower, who had been Lassiter's vice-president, Eisenhower is a cousin to the Dwight Eisenhower branch of the family, he came from Ohio, let's skip back first, Lassiter defeated Roland Pierce in the 1994 election in a Reaganesque/Nixonesque landslide.

Hold on. I'm pretty sure these things were never mentioned in the series. In fact, series never mentions things like a) Bartlet's 1998 opponent, b) exact Lassiter's time in office, c) exact Newman's term in office etc. etc.

So, from where are you getting these informations?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »

These are details which have been developed by a 'continuation' of the show being written collaboratively, in real-time, on Alternate History. (In the 2010 election, Glen Allen Walken defeated Santos in a close race). They're based off some hints in the show, but it was never explicitly stated.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »

These are details which have been developed by a 'continuation' of the show being written collaboratively, in real-time, on Alternate History. (In the 2010 election, Glen Allen Walken defeated Santos in a close race). They're based off some hints in the show, but it was never explicitly stated.

So, its made up?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies