TR wins in 1912 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 12:04:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  TR wins in 1912 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: TR wins in 1912  (Read 116204 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: February 10, 2008, 04:36:09 PM »

Immature little hack. If you knew anything about politics like I do.

Oh sorry Tongue Interesting timeline, I like third-parties-winning timelines
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »

I thought I'd read it from where I left off- I was busy lately. A few issues, minor, here and there; mostly on the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

And I need to ask, what's the situation in France?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »

I'm not as interested in Lebrun, since the President was a figurehead (who nobody knew about), but more in the head of government and the 1936 elections in France (hint, the Front Populaire)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:23:57 AM »

I thought I'd read it from where I left off- I was busy lately. A few issues, minor, here and there; mostly on the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

What issues are those; I might be able to explain them.

You asked.

Here.

Why on earth are Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Transjordan (as it should be known here) and Palestine given independence? Do you assume that the French and British feel nice (they never were very nice on colonial matters) and were in a pro-Arab independence mood that day? The French and British were carving up the Levant and Middle East long before 1918, while Lawrence was hanging out with the lunatic Hashemites, in fact. IMO, you made a big historical plausibility mistake by leaving out the whole mandates thing in the Middle East.

I'm also not sure about Turkey. The French (or any power for that matter; and you also forgot the Greeks, who had plans in Turkey) preferred to have a joke Ottoman 'Empire' under a puppet ruler instead of a republic. Ataturk founded the Republic in 1922, and he was anti-French/Greek/British.

You might want to read this from Wikipedia, quite good.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 10:52:12 AM »

What issues are those; I might be able to explain them.

You asked.

Here.

Why on earth are Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Transjordan (as it should be known here) and Palestine given independence? Do you assume that the French and British feel nice (they never were very nice on colonial matters) and were in a pro-Arab independence mood that day? The French and British were carving up the Levant and Middle East long before 1918, while Lawrence was hanging out with the lunatic Hashemites, in fact. IMO, you made a big historical plausibility mistake by leaving out the whole mandates thing in the Middle East.

I'm also not sure about Turkey. The French (or any power for that matter; and you also forgot the Greeks, who had plans in Turkey) preferred to have a joke Ottoman 'Empire' under a puppet ruler instead of a republic. Ataturk founded the Republic in 1922, and he was anti-French/Greek/British.

You might want to read this from Wikipedia, quite good.

I did indeed read the wikipedia article; the major reason that these countries were not occupied is that, due to the Allies were already occupying the large European countries, they decided that it would be too difficult to retain control of all of these extra territories, so they gave them independence; however, they have established embassies in the Middle East, and intervene regularly in affairs there.

Very unplausible scenario, then; sorry to say.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:52:19 AM »

Are the Centrists in Germany christian democrats/Catholic party or is it entirely different?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:54:38 PM »

Yes, and do make the Zentrum or whatever you call it here a Catholic party like IRL.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 07:11:17 AM »

Quite fishy, especially if the DNVP is still a fascist-lite party.
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 11:23:53 AM »

Sad Progressives.
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »

So there was no coup in Yugoslavia by anti-German officers to overthrow the pro-German government, as in RL?

I think you should try to improve the foriegn relations area to have more details. Some of it seems a little shaky as to how it would happen. Also why would Palestine side with Germany?

Agreed. It will be interesting to see what Xahar has to say about this. Wink
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »

Xahar is on this thread.
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »

France? Greece? Italy? Spain? Bulgaria? Romania?
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 06:18:24 AM »

What's the situation in Canada?
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 09:05:08 PM »

1. Is France under the Third Republic, GPRF, or Fourth Republic at this point?
    2. What did de Gaulle do in the war?
    3. What is the current government of France (as in, parties, leaders etc.)?
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 09:30:46 PM »

So they skipped the Fourth Republic altogether and de Gaulle came to power? Very, Very unlikely.
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 09:56:52 PM »

So they skipped the Fourth Republic altogether and de Gaulle came to power? Very, Very unlikely.

de Gaulle came to power through the military; it was decided that they wanted a military man to be in the Presidency, and so they picked de Gaulle.

Which is very unlikely, too. [and who is "they"? the military?. Doubtful they would have done that after a war. The PCF, MRP, SFIO and so forth wouldn't live peacefully with a coup.]
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 04:08:01 PM »

de Gaulle came to power through the military; it was decided that they wanted a military man to be in the Presidency, and so they picked de Gaulle.

Which is very unlikely, too. [and who is "they"? the military?. Doubtful they would have done that after a war. The PCF, MRP, SFIO and so forth wouldn't live peacefully with a coup. Especially the SFIO and PCF]
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 04:11:38 PM »

Correct, I could stop commenting and reading it altogether.

In addition, he doesn't seem to care, so I'll stop. You're right.
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »

Which is very unlikely, too. [and who is "they"? the military?. Doubtful they would have done that after a war. The PCF, MRP, SFIO and so forth wouldn't live peacefully with a coup. Especially the SFIO and PCF]

I understand that.  By "they" I meant the voting public.

But how did the semi-presidential system come about?

Around 1942, when France entered WWII, a new Constitution was proposed by a group of French political scientists; they figured a strong executive was needed during war time.  It was ratified around 1944, and the military hero de Gaulle was elected the first President.

Good base there, but remember that the establishment didn't want de Gaulle too much by that time in OTL. The parties feared authoritarianism in a system with a strong president.

[How was the President elected? Direct election came in 1962, in fact de Gaulle was indirectly elected in 1958.]
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 05:03:22 PM »

FTR, I'm not saying scrap the current French government. Voters might have approved it, but expect a strong opposition to a presidential system by the MRP and other establishment parties.
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 05:48:56 AM »

Is there a major anti-presidential system opposition?
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 09:01:47 AM »

There was at first, but it has lessened as time has gone by.

Is the MRP a major party?

(de Gaulle's party probably wouldn't be named UNR in this. More like RPF or something).
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 09:08:33 AM »

There was at first, but it has lessened as time has gone by.

Is the MRP a major party?

(de Gaulle's party probably wouldn't be named UNR in this. More like RPF or something).

Yes, they are.

So the major parties are still Gaullists, SFIO/FGDS (I assume the PS is not founded yet, as it was founded in 1972 in OTL), PCF, and MRP?

[Is the PCF still a far-left independent party or is there some type of Union de la Gauche?]
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 09:26:50 AM »

Merci.
    Hash
    Hashemite
    Moderators
    Atlas Superstar
    Colombia

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »

Farmer-Labour intrigues me. Tell me, where do they hold their seats and why don't they run presidential candidates? I'd assume they're very strong in MN, right?
    Pages: [1] 2  
    Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies