Who should us Romney supporters root for to win Florida?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:51:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who should us Romney supporters root for to win Florida?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should us Romney supporters root for to win Florida?
Romney

Giuliani

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Who should us Romney supporters root for to win Florida?  (Read 632 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2008, 02:53:14 AM »

A Romney victory might help McCain more, if Giuliani drops out and then endorses McCain. But a Giuliani victory means he'll rise a bit, and take support from McCain. Romney probably has a better chance of taking California under this case.

MITT MITT MITT!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:56:46 AM »

A Giuliani victory would suck some votes away from McCain and maybe make New York, New Jersey and Connecticut competitive again. A Romney victory would just make it a two-way race between him and McCain and McCain would probably still have an edge in the big states.

Since the Giuliani victory would screw up their primary even more and prolong it, I'm rooting for him. However, a Mitt victory is just fine.
ZamboniDriver
Yzerman19
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:04:26 AM »

This was discussed a little bit in an earlier thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=68662.msg1408025#msg1408025

I still think that because Giuliani is back in third place, Florida is a contest between Romney and McCain.  As a result, Romney needs to take first and carry momentum and more delegates to Super Duper Tuesday.  Who knows whether Giuliani is going to drop out before Super Duper Tuesday?  I would rather have a confident campaign than one that is going to be dependent upon other campaign results.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:10:30 AM »

I'd glady take either. I don't think a Giuliani victory looks very realistic at this point though.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 07:49:47 AM »

brtd, you and your fellow 'democrats' support ron paul.

because he is so f'ing cool.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 08:17:43 AM »

If one thinks Guliani has a chance, Guliani, imo. However, since I don't expect Guliani to win Florida it's a bit moot.

Dave, while it's not a given that Guliani would drop out and endorse McCain if he loses Florida (far from, imo) it would still kill his support. Guliani is already dropping below 15% nationally and a Florida loss would make his impact on the race pretty insignificant even if he stays in. Especially as I've heard that he's running out of money.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »

Romney supporters might be better off casting strategic votes for Giuliani to keep him in, so as to split the moderate vote between McCain and Giuliani in upcoming primaries

It's risky, however, Romney probably would like, at the very least, be a close second in FL but being a close second to Giuliani, in that it forces McCain into 3rd place, would, undoutedly, be better

Of course, if Romney was to win FL this in itself could gain him momentum going into Super Tuesday

Lets just say a McCain loss in FL, whether to Romney or Giuliani, keeps things interesting Smiley. If he loses FL, this may be a sign of things to come in that its not inconceivable that he will struggle in states with closed primaries. On the other hand, if he wins ...

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:44:36 AM »

Dave, while it's not a given that Guliani would drop out and endorse McCain if he loses Florida (far from, imo) it would still kill his support. Guliani is already dropping below 15% nationally and a Florida loss would make his impact on the race pretty insignificant even if he stays in. Especially as I've heard that he's running out of money.

Yes, if Giuliani loses FL there is nothing to stop that support he has been haemorrhaging in the wake of McCain's victories in NH and SC given that McCain has already taken leads in states like NY and NJ, which should be firm Giuliani country

Still, it won't be too long before we can determine whether Giuliani is some political genius or whether he's ran one of the most inept presidential campaigns in history

Dave
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »

McCain.

I'm praying Feb 5 is Mitt's last day on the campaign trail.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:19:30 AM »

Holy f**k dude. You're basically trolling at this point.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 12:56:43 PM »

Holy f**k dude. You're basically trolling at this point.

You two provide me with great amusement.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 02:39:06 PM »

I think the race is coming down to a choice between two contenders.  I think McCain is set as one; the other is between Giuliani and Romney.  Right now, Romney is ahead, but a Giuliani win complements the upcoming NY/CA primaries and gives him the edge.

I don't think a FL loss really hurts McCain all that much, unless he is in 3rd and >5 points behind the other two (or in the teens).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies