Israel-Gaza war (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:39:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war (search mode)
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 207021 times)
Angel of Death
« on: October 07, 2023, 06:23:05 PM »

Yes, back in the 1980s Israel began offering citizenship to Palestinians resident in East Jerusalem. Only a tiny fraction - I believe around 5% - have taken them up on the offer.

People need to stop repeating this misleading claim. There has never been a blanket citizenship offer to East-Jerusalem Palestinians. They need to apply for it and fulfill certain conditions, which is not the same thing as an "offer".
Angel of Death
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 09:50:17 AM »

Israel is specifically telling people where to go to avoid bombings.

Citation needed, because I only see calls to leave one's building or Gaza entirely (from Netanyahu).
Angel of Death
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 10:03:03 AM »

Citation needed, because I only see calls to leave one's building or Gaza entirely (from Netanyahu).
False. There are maps asking the residents of perimeter neighbourhoods to move to the inner city.

I'm still waiting for a source.
Angel of Death
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 10:12:22 AM »

False. There are maps asking the residents of perimeter neighbourhoods to move to the inner city.

I'm still waiting for a source.

The Israeli Arab language spokesman was making public announcements re it. Here’s a link.

OK, in light of all kinds of misinformation going around in such circumstances, I can appreciate being given a source.
Angel of Death
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »

I see a fair degree of the posters here are absolute morons who fail to understand context. I said I hope the civilian population with move to Sinai as I hoped we would topple Hamas and I don't want them in the crossfire. Not that I want them permanently banished.

Yes, because Palestinians were totally allowed to return to their own homes after the 1948 war. Now who's failing to understand context here?
Angel of Death
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 05:07:09 PM »

I don't see how it's possible for Israel to fully eliminate Hamas in Gaza without the number of killed Palestinians getting far into the 5 digits at least. I suspect that the West will effectively allow them a certain kill ratio, after they will slowly start to exert pressure to wind down operations.
Angel of Death
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 06:23:30 PM »

Before all of this even happened, Smotrich had actually advocated to reestablish settlements in Gaza. I can't even put it beyond the realm of possibility that some "Hilltop Youth"-like characters will follow the IDF back into Gaza seeking to put this into practice.
Angel of Death
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 02:05:28 PM »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/2-palestinians-killed-after-settlers-said-to-ambush-funeral-in-west-bank/
Angel of Death
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 02:46:38 PM »

I hope people aren't seriously entertaining the thought that, as a result of this, Israel will change tack and become comparatively more conciliatory to the more moderate Palestinian regime in the West Bank. Much more likely is that they will establish a bunch of settlements there to "honor" (read: avenge) the victims.
Angel of Death
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 06:36:57 AM »

Why is aid or relief from the sea apparently a non-starter?
Angel of Death
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2023, 06:53:53 AM »

Why is aid or relief from the sea apparently a non-starter?

Israeli naval blockade.

This is occasionally punctured by sealed barrels containing supplies, but nothing else at the moment. We may see more USVs, UUVs and midget submarines sneaking through in the years to come.

I don't find the mere fact that there is a blockade a compelling argument, because Israel also controls the Rafah border crossing and this has been subject to temporary humanitarian agreements.
Angel of Death
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 08:59:30 AM »

This comes across as a (tasteless) "good cop, bad cop" routine.
Angel of Death
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023, 08:40:47 PM »

It's kind of funny, because I believe it was the same Wall Street Journal who some years ago wrote an in-depth report about how Israel had helped with the rise of Hamas to divide the Palestinians.
Angel of Death
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 03:40:45 PM »

People forget that we didn’t invade Afghanistan until nearly a month after 9/11.

I only just realized the coincidence of dates here. I wonder if this was intentional.
Angel of Death
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 11:07:14 AM »

It is a testament to American influence (through President Biden) that Israel is still holding back from a full-scale invasion of Gaza, even after all this time since the initial massacres of October 7th by Hamas militants.  How long has it been -three weeks now?

Not everything is always (entirely) about the US.
Angel of Death
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2023, 02:22:17 PM »

I find the attention the West Bank is currently getting so low (compared to, say, what's going on near the Lebanese border), that it's borderline propagandistic:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/residents-of-southern-west-bank-hamlet-fleeing-due-to-settler-violence/

If the (mostly preemptive) flight of the Nagorno-Karabakh Armenians is generally considered to be ethnic cleansing, then what do you call this (which is just the latest of a recent string of such occurrences)?
Angel of Death
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2023, 05:48:42 PM »

I got a good chuckle out of this even if the whole situation is depressing as hell.

Yeah, but only the returning settlers will get to vote.
Angel of Death
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2023, 11:14:33 AM »

If you don't have a plan, then others will follow their own:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/return-to-gush-katif-determined-movement-emerges-to-resettle-israelis-in-gaza/
Angel of Death
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2023, 01:17:18 PM »

At this point Bibi publicly refuses and calls for a general elections

Am I missing something here? Why in all that is holy would he finally decide to give up his power voluntarily after desperately clinging on to it for so long?
Angel of Death
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2023, 07:54:56 AM »

Without changes of leadership on both sides, I think this conflict ultimately ends, sadly, with a mass expulsion of Palestinians from both Gaza and the West Bank.

Maybe, but not without an open war against at least Jordan and possibly Egypt.
Angel of Death
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2024, 09:27:02 AM »

More Overton window shifting:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-in-talks-with-congo-and-other-countries-on-gaza-voluntary-migration-plan/
Angel of Death
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 09:33:43 AM »

Israel offered citizenship to the Arabs there when they captured it but they refused.

You know how, if you repeat a lie over and over again, it becomes "common knowledge"? This is one of them.
Angel of Death
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2024, 05:08:38 PM »

Without looking it up, does anyone want to guess how many Israeli ministers attended the recent conference in support of resettling Gaza?
Angel of Death
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2024, 01:15:10 PM »

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's a BFD on several levels when someone like Chuck Schumer is now openly saying Bibi's government has got to go.
Angel of Death
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2024, 08:51:58 AM »

Is this unconditional or dependent on the release of the hostages? Because if it's the latter, it's merely symbolic.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies