DeSantis bans lab grown meat in Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:53:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DeSantis bans lab grown meat in Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: DeSantis bans lab grown meat in Florida  (Read 1242 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2024, 12:22:37 PM »

This is overreach and should be struck down. Even products that present real health risks (cigarettes, alcohol) cannot be banned so it's hard to see how lab grown meat being banned stands up.

Yeh, came here to say I don't see how this survives a court challenge.

What's the legal basis for the law? Virtue Signaling To Your Base is not a reason any rational jurist is going to accept for outlawing some private company growing meat in a lab and selling it to private citizens on the free market.

What's there to challenge? Conservative judges believe that (red) states have the right to ban any and all behavior that conservatives don't like.

The sudden realization by liberals that government is not allowed to regulate food of all things appears quite ridiculous, LOL

Banning random, irrelevant stuff purely because conservative commentators don't like it isn't a regulation I respect. He even admitted in his stupid Twitter public statement that this is being done because he thinks Jews are going to make him eat bugs.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2024, 12:28:58 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2024, 04:34:36 PM by Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins »

Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2024, 12:32:09 PM »

The guy married to a Brazilian woman stands with the ranchers. Very nice.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2024, 12:36:49 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2024, 01:44:52 PM »

This is overreach and should be struck down. Even products that present real health risks (cigarettes, alcohol) cannot be banned so it's hard to see how lab grown meat being banned stands up.

What's the legal basis for the law? Virtue Signaling To Your Base is not a reason any rational jurist is going to accept for outlawing some private company growing meat in a lab and selling it to private citizens on the free market.

What's there to challenge? Conservative judges believe that (red) states have the right to ban any and all behavior that conservatives don't like.

The sudden realization by liberals that government is not allowed to regulate food of all things appears quite ridiculous, LOL

But there’s no rational explanation for this specific regulation. “Some people don’t like it and think it’s icky” is not a good reason to ban it.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2024, 01:46:14 PM »

Banning random, irrelevant stuff purely because conservative commentators don't like it isn't a regulation I respect. He even admitted in his stupid Twitter public statement that this is being done because he thinks Jews are going to make him eat bugs.

You don't have to respect it and neither do I, you still have to craft an argument for why its unconstitutional.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2024, 01:56:58 PM »

You don't have to respect it and neither do I, you still have to craft an argument for why its unconstitutional.

"Craft an argument for why it's unconstitutional" lmao. That is not how the law works. Other way around.
Florida's lawyers will now get to waste time and taxpayer money showing in court what government interest they think is served by banning this, only to be slapped down immediately.
It's one thing to ban cigarettes. It's another thing to ban FDA approved food products.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2024, 01:57:13 PM »

But there’s no rational explanation for this specific regulation. “Some people don’t like it and think it’s icky” is not a good reason to ban it.

There is no rational reason for very many regulations, especially in the agriculture sector.  This rule is more about protecting Florida's poultry and seafood industries than anything else.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2024, 01:59:03 PM »

There is no rational reason for very many regulations, especially in the agriculture sector.  This rule is more about protecting Florida's poultry and seafood industries than anything else.

So why haven't they banned meat from other states?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2024, 02:03:08 PM »

"Craft an argument for why it's unconstitutional" lmao. That is not how the law works. Other way around.
Florida's lawyers will now get to waste time and taxpayer money showing in court what government interest they think is served by banning this, only to be slapped down immediately.
It's one thing to ban cigarettes. It's another thing to ban FDA approved food products.

They find it unethical just like California voters found crowded pig farms unethical
They want to protect farmers.

All these reasons are poor reasons but certainly not poor enough for the courts to interfere in the law of a state.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2024, 02:07:56 PM »

Is there any scientific evidence that suggests lab grown meat is unsafe for consumption, or is this just more culture war posturing from DeSantis?

Even if there is, remember how Republicans acted when NYC banned large cups for sodas? All the "muh freedom" and all that? In my state, we made it illegal for any city or county to enact such a ban because people should have the freedom to use as large of a cup as they want for Coke or sweet tea. So for Republicans to turn around and banning artificial meat over "health concerns" would be pretty rich.

What I don't get is how this is a "culture war" thing in the first place. Lab-grown meat isn't very common among people in any political persuasion, and the only way it ever will be is if they get to the point where it's cheaper than real meat and takes identical or close to it. If that happens, people of all politics will decide to save the money and eat it.

This is much more parochial than you think. In restricting both lab-grown meat and bans on big gulps, Republicans are just trying to protect industries where they traditionally have a constituency.

This is a "culture war" issue because most people have an "ick" factor when it comes to lab-grown meats.  Only 18% of Americans say they are likely to try it. Degradation in the quality of goods has been an observed feature of post-industrial society, and Americans are right to not want that to affect their food.   

How many of these people averse to lab meat because of the "ick" factor know how hot dogs are made?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2024, 02:09:01 PM »

That would  violate interstate commerce/maybe priveleges so it would be unconstitutional. However as long as the regulation is evenly applied in state or outstate like California's prop 12 then I don't see the legal issue with this law.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2024, 02:09:48 PM »

But that's exactly what California voters did with pork regulations. States also ban dog meat for the same reason .
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2024, 02:10:11 PM »

They find it unethical just like California voters found crowded pig farms unethical
They want to protect farmers.

All these reasons are poor reasons but certainly not poor enough for the courts to interfere in the law of a state.

No, again, that's not how law works. The pig farm thing survived because the State of California was able to make the case that the law was backed by a compelling interest in public health and animal welfare.
I'm trying to understand what Florida could even invoke to make a similar argument, and I can't come up with anything. They could try to say that lab grown meat is less safe but they don't have any evidence to back that up. "Protecting farmers" isn't going to hold up because as I told Del Tachi, they haven't banned meat from other states that would threaten Florida farmers, and you're then flirting with unconstitutional interference in interstate commerce.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2024, 02:11:07 PM »

It isn't unconstitutional. And I don't have to do anything. I've made very clear in the past that I have no respect for lawyers or judges or any of their theology.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2024, 02:32:40 PM »

Because it's unconstitutional for States to levy taxes or duties on imports or exports from other States.  But it's perfectly legal for States to regulate how food is grown/sold within their borders, except when Congress has explicitly pre-empted it by using their commerce clause authority. California just recently banned certain artificial food colorings and additives, despite no scientific evidence they are dangerous to human health, for example.

Bans on lab-grown meat are to protect traditional livestock producers from unfair competition. Producers of "frankenmeat" do not exist under the same regulatory burdens as traditional farmers, which gives them an unfair advantage.  States (not just FL, but also AZ and AR) are are moving to ban artificial meat after the USDA recently approved the first two companies to sell "cell-cultivated" chicken to U.S. consumers.  Shrinking the market for these foods is a preemptive strategy to protect jobs in the farming industry.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2024, 02:43:23 PM »

Because it's unconstitutional for States to levy taxes or duties on imports or exports from other States.  But it's perfectly legal for States to regulate how food is grown/sold within their borders, except when Congress has explicitly pre-empted it by using their commerce clause authority. California just recently banned certain artificial food colorings and additives, despite no scientific evidence they are dangerous to human health, for example.

Bans on lab-grown meat are to protect traditional livestock producers from unfair competition. Producers of "frankenmeat" do not exist under the same regulatory burdens as traditional farmers, which gives them an unfair advantage.  States (not just FL, but also AZ and AR) are are moving to ban artificial meat after the USDA recently approved the first two companies to sell "cell-cultivated" chicken to U.S. consumers.  Shrinking the market for these foods is a preemptive strategy to protect jobs in the farming industry.

That's all well and good (if bad-faith, knowing what we know about DeSantis and going off the announcement tweet) but this is very, very unlikely to hold up in court.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2024, 04:20:20 PM »

This rule is more about protecting Florida's poultry and seafood industries than anything else.

This is also a bad reason!
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2024, 04:32:30 PM »

The comments here that Florida doesn't have a large beef industry are kind of factually incorrect:

Today, there are more than 886 thousand head of cattle and 15,000 beef producers throughout Florida. Currently, Florida ranks 13th in overall cattle numbers.

I'm sure most of these cattle ranchers are a quite wealthy and form a powerful lobby.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2024, 04:34:08 PM »

Fetterman defends the ban

TALLAHSSEE, Fla. – Democratic Pennsylvania Sen. John Fetterman came out in support of legislation banning lab grown meat recently signed in Florida by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The comments came in a leadup to Fetterman’s expected keynote speaker appearance at the Florida Democratic Party’s Leadership Blue 2024 event.

“Pains me deeply to agree with Crash-and-Burn Ron, but I co-sign this,” Fetterman said on social media, referencing to DeSantis’ signing of the bill.

“As a member of @SenateAgDems and as some dude who would never serve that slop to my kids, I stand with our American ranchers and farmers,” he said.

The newly signed law prohibits and creates penalties for the manufacturing, sale or distribution of cultivated meat in the state.

It also preempts the regulation of electric vehicle charging stations to the state and prohibits local governments from implementing their own policies.

Leadership Blue 2024 will primarily take place on Saturday, mostly consisting of trainings, panel discussions and speakers, designed to raise funds and support for Florida Democrats.

“@JohnFetterman is not your traditional politician,” the party said on social media. “Join us this weekend to hear from him on his grassroots victory as a blueprint for battlegrounds.”
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2024, 05:22:17 PM »

But that's exactly what California voters did with pork regulations. States also ban dog meat for the same reason .
Concern about the treatment and rights of living things is not comparable to "it's icky" as a reason to ban things.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2024, 05:23:44 PM »

Good for DeSantis. We like our meat the American way: packed with preservatives, chemicals, and dyes, from roided up animals.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2024, 05:52:32 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2024, 06:11:07 PM by Upper Canada Tory »

Unfortunately, Ron Desantis is emblematic of a trend of increased illiteracy and disregard for facts and evidence in politics. Banning lab-grown meat because the 'WEF wants us to eat insects', his willingness to consider RFK Jr as a potential head of CDC or FDA are all examples, as well as other actions and stances of his, ones which I am not sure if they are his genuine beliefs and conduct or if he is trying to get somebody's votes.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2024, 06:11:35 PM »

That is in fact how the law works. Federal laws have to be tied to a specific enumerated power in order to be Constitutional. State laws do not, as the states have general police powers (aside from certain things specifically prohibited of the states in the Constitution). So the party challenging the law would indeed bear the burden of arguing that the law is unconstitutional, not the other way around.

What I think you’re getting at is “rational basis review,” meaning a law does have to be rationally related to some government interest. But that’s an extremely low bar to clear. The reason doesn’t have to be a very good reason.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2024, 06:17:42 PM »

I can't say that I disagree with you...

Free trade is Freedom Trade!
A bit weird to support free trade and also something like this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies