The End of Freedom: The Ultimate Cost of the Great Depression
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:26:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The End of Freedom: The Ultimate Cost of the Great Depression
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Sci-Fi elements
Interesting.

Meh, neutral.

Dude WTF?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: The End of Freedom: The Ultimate Cost of the Great Depression  (Read 82454 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 04, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »

I can't f**king believe I actually supported such a waste like Bridges.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2011, 08:30:17 AM »

I remember....

back to a time when I was young.  Back to a time when the darkness of tyranny was ever omnipresent.  The dark hand of Satan reaped over the dearth of this continent like an evil scourge.  Around every corner, darkness was there.
But.....what I remember more so than the darkness, more than the fear, was the hope, the dream of a better tomorrow ever present in the heart of good men.

Fred Harris
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2011, 08:48:19 AM »

Yeah! Baby savior Fred Harris is in!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »

So, old Joe is basically a hero, who sacrified rest of his hopes and dignity to protect his family. I wonder if he's going to survive prison term.

Btw (yes, I know I'm weird) what execution methods Murray regime uses to kill condemded, like in last case

Oh yes I forgot........
The Almighty Chair.

Well, in my TL I sent to the almighty chair last President of the United States (James Eli Watson) and also such figures like "Darkie rebel" MLK or (forgive me for puting these names next of others) Trent Lott.

Btw, could you tell us specifically which Liberty politicians were executed?

Damn it.
I'm not good at coming up with names..

US Senators:
1. Senator Ernest Lundeen (MN Farmer Labor, caucus with Liberty)
2. Senator Burton K. Wheeler (L-MT)
3. Senator Robert F. Wagner (L-NY)
4. Senator William E. Borah (L-ID)
5. Senator Homer Truett Bone (L-WA)
5 US Senators

US Representatives:
1. US House Rep John J. O'Connor (L-NY16)
2. US House Rep James M. Fitzpatrick (L-NY24)
3. US House Rep Caroline O'Day (L-NYAL)
4. US House Rep Edward O'Neill (L-NJ11)
5. US House Rep Mary T. Norton (L-NJ13)
6. US House Rep D. Lane Powers (L-NJ4)
7. US House Rep John J. Dempsey (L-NMAL)
8. US House Rep Byron N. Scott (L-CA18)
9. US House Rep Thomas F. Ford (L-CA14)
10. US House Rep Frank R. Havenner (L-CA4)
11. US House Rep John F. Dockweiler (L-CA16)
12. US House Rep John W. McCormack (L-MA12)
13. US House Rep Joseph E. Casey (L-MA3)
14. US House Rep Joseph W. Martin Jr (L-MA14)
15. US House Rep John P. Higgins (L-MA11)
16. US House Rep Dewey Johnson (FL-MN5)
17. US House Rep John Bernard (FL-MN8)
18. US House Rep Rich T. Buckler (FL-MN9)
19. US House Rep Warren G. Magnuson (L-WA1)
20. US House Rep John M. Coffee (L-WA6)
21. US House Rep Leon Sack (L-PA1)
22. US House Rep Michael Bradley (L-PA3)
23. US House Rep J. Burrwood Daly (L-PA4)
24. US House Rep Ira W. Drew (L-PA7)
25. US House Rep Henry Ellenbogen (L-PA33)
26. US House Rep Thomas Ryum Amlie (L-WI1)
27. US House Rep Gardner R. Withrow (L-WI3)
28. US House Rep Bernard J. Gehrmann (L-WI10)
29. US House Rep John Lesinki, Sr. (L-MI16)
29 US House Reps.
34 total US Congressmen

US Governors:
1. Governor Phillip LaFollette (L-WI)
2. Governor Elmer A. Benson (FL-MN)
2 US Governors
36 total officeholders killed

Other notes:
US Senator Robert M. LaFollette Jr (L-WI) committed suicide before appearing before court.
Governor Joseph P. Kennedy Sr. (L-MA) was offered a prison sentence of 20 years with family visitation rights for admitting plot.

Okay so 3 more officeholders were killed than originally planned. In addition to the above killed, statewide Liberty officeholders were offered to either quit their party or be thrown in jail for a period of no less than 5 years.

Bump.
This will be really helpful once I post the Congressional results later (hopefully sometime over the weekend if everything goes well).  I debated about whether or not I should put up the Congressional results mainly because this TL is so different from my Goldwater or Westman TLs (Goldwater TL will make use of congressional results ALOT).
I won't make it extremely detailed like my Goldwater TL (where I wrote detailed information about a number of Senate races in 1964), but if anybody asks about a certain race I will go into further details.
In fact if anybody (not just CathCon) has any questions about certain events, places, or people please by all means ask.  This might sound very self effacing right now but I would suck at writing these TLs if nobody gave me feedback.  Sometimes I'll be say "hey you know nothing" or what have you, but 98 times out of 100 that is just my pride talking and inevitably I do realize what works and what doesn't work (CathCon's insightful comments on a certain story angle being too soap opera caught onto me later when I reread my Westman TL and I can that in hindsight I vastly prefer the revision I made to the Westman story than what I originally had).
I just have to say that if it weren't for you, the people who read and comment on these stories, I would suck at this job.

Thank You.

P.S.: Expect a free update, on me Smiley

(I'll repost this in my omnibus thread just cause.)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2011, 01:13:55 PM »

Recap:

In the days following the bombing of the USS Mount Hood the American people began to rally back behind the United America Coalition.  Although the UAC won a very decisive victory landslide over the rival PCA ticket there was still a feeling of regret of many members of what might've been if William H. Murray was still alive come election.  To this date no one person running for President since James Monroe was as successful as William H. Murray, who was called "the heart and soul of America."  Throughout the nation millions rejoiced as the successors to Murray's legacy, Edward Jackson and Alben Barkley, the nation's first bipartisan ticket since John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, won the victory.  The United States was free to fight alongside it's strong ally Germany against the imperialist forces of "Marxist Europe".
However strong the legacy of William H. Murray was there was still a small but vocal minority of people who even after an attack on domestic soil remained virulently opposed.  The most powerful of these groups were the disgraced former urban Democratic party bosses.  To these men, whom Murray had pursued since the beginning didn't trust a single thing that came out of the Murray or the Jackson Administration offices.  In fact Murray's second Inauguration speech, where he warns America of the threat of "Roman Irish elites" within his own party that seeks to subvert the rule of American law and democracy, really got to many of the Catholic and Irish bosses in the urban Democratic areas.  Up to that point Murray had seemed to coexist peacefully with this group of northern businessmen, labor leaders, and government officials in order to secure an overwhelmingly landslide victory.  Before 1937 Tammany Hall was the only traditional Democratic urban machine that was targeted by the Murray Administration due to Tammany Hall having a perceived role in the attempted assassination of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.  The assassin who tried to deal FDR the fatal bullet was thus linked with the Tammany Hall Machine of New York City that led to one of the biggest mass arrests in history.  Americans all around the country, including fellow urban Democratic party bosses, were shocked and outraged by the charges thrown against Tammany Hall and it's (perceived) role in the assassination attempt on FDR's life.

Luckily FDR survived the bullet wound and made a miraculous recovery.  His sudden recovery would send the country into shock as the greatest speaker of a generation recovered.  The more FDR found out about what was going on in his absence the more he began to distrust the Murray Administration.  Most shocking of which FDR appeared in person before Alfred Smith, one of the men supposedly in charge of the plot to assassinate FDR, and forgave him.  The reconciliation between the jailed and disgraced former Tammany Hall boss and FDR would be seen as controversial by many.  The idea that FDR would choose to forgive his enemy, the man who tried to have him killed, and campaign against the policies of William Murray would be outrage to many in the nation who supported the president.  Behind tears of great regret Al Smith would say that his character assassination of FDR in the 1932 Democratic National Convention "denied the United States their greatest leader" through the dark times of the Great Depression.  The two former friends would become much closer over the course of the year as the 1940 election season came to a close.
After recent events, the future of Al Smith and his fellow Tammany Hall colleagues would meet a most unfortunate end.............
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »

Culprit behind USS Mount Hood bombing revealed!:

New York Times, November 15th, 1940:

Tens days after the horrific bombing of the USS Mount Hood the Federal Bureau of Investigation has found the culprit behind the incident that has claimed hundreds of our fellow citizens and American soldiers.
A sting operation into the prisons of New York State has found that the mastermind behind this operation is none other than former New York Democratic Governor Alfred E. Smith of New York City and later infamous Tammany Hall Boss that was one of the culprits behind the attempt on another former New York governor: Franklin Roosevelt.
In Mister Smith's jail cell there was found a number of correspondent letters between himself and "the muscle" that indicated an elaborate plot to strike fear into the hearts of American citizens.  However Mister Smith pulled all of this off behind the bars of prison is something that mystifies the New York City police force to this day.  Four years ago Mister Smith and his fellow Tammany Hall colleagues were the subject of one of the biggest mass arrests in world history as him and hundreds of other Tammany Hall members were thrown in prison because of a grand conspiracy to silence those who were the most adamantly opposed to the practice of machine politics.
There is also significant reason to believe that Mister Smith was not the sole mastermind behind this operation and that the whole of Tammany Hall sought to eliminate Franklin Delano Roosevelt yet again by targeting the USS Mount Hood.  Mister Roosevelt was supposed to have been on the ship to pose for pictures with fellow PCA supporters on the ship but had to go back to Pete's Grill on Long Island because he forgot to get his dog Eufala, a Scottish Terrier.
The audacity of such an organization to commit mass murder to get rid of one man is simply the most disgusting act any man can afford.  As a result of these heinous actions the Federal Government has ordered the execution of every jailed man of Tammany before the public.

November 18th, 1940:
True Justice: The Death of Tammany Hall,
New York Times:

For far too long the public had awaited the ultimate demise of the corrupt criminal organization known as "Tammany Hall".  When it was revealed that Tammany was behind the attempted assassination of popular governor Franklin Delano Roosevelt and hundreds of other counts of voter fraud, intimidation, illegal gambling, prostitution, and mafia hit job there was an outcry amongst hte public to have these men executed for their crimes.  Our late great president William Murray, beloved amongst the people, showed great mercy by requesting that these men, despite their evil deeds, be forced to endure a life of prison instead.  In spite of the mercy of our late great president and the authorities who deemed they only be subject to the penalty of life imprisonment these men, these criminals, decided to once again try to take the life of Franklin Roosevelt, a true man of the people.  And now they will finally get their just deserts: a public hanging in front of thousands of loyal and patriotic Americans who are sickened by the scourge of murder and terror.
That justice should finally succeed in this effort is something that should be applauded by every man, woman, and child who declares themselves proud Americans.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »

California Dreams:

However despite the overwhelming victory of the UAC ticket and the subsequent execution of Tammany Hall many Americans were still very skeptical of what was going on around them.  A number of "Truth" Movement protests in regards to the lack of details about the bombing of the USS Mount Hood were launched.  Notably, the strongest Truth Movement was taking place not in New England, but on the other side of the country in California.  As events like the bombing came with a lot more restrictions on freedom of movement and expression amongst Californians the outcry became larger.  It is estimated that 38% of the California population began to have real doubts about the official story touted by the government about the numberless assassinations of political officials over the past eight years.
Although the state had voted for Jackson it was decided by the slimmest of margins, many pundits say that the reason why it was so close was due to the amount of Liberty Party members from California who were executed for their supposed "involvement" in the Supreme Court Bombing.  In fact throughout the Pacific Coast real unrest was brewing as minorities and educated whites began smelling a foul plot afoot.  As a result the hand of the Federal Government was harshest upon the people of California than the rest of the nation.
The people of California, a land of bleedingheart liberty lovers, would so find out how out of touch the tyrannic Federal Government was with the traditions that made the United States of America so great:

Sacramento, California
November 27th, 1940:

Before a crowd of a few thousand people California Republican Governor Earl Warren and Democratic Lieutenant Governor James Roosevelt (the son of Franklin Roosevelt) are standing.
Warren begins to speak:

"Fellow citizens of California, as man of liberty and justice I believe this state can no longer afford the statist machinations of the current administration!"
Crowd roars in approval.
"Us Californians believe that all men, regardless of race, of class, of creed, are equal!  The people in charge of this nation have done everything they can to turn us against each other!  As the Governor of the greatest state in the nation I DEMAND that the President and his administrations do everything in their power to overturn the unconstitutional limits on expression and free speech or face drastic consequences!"
Earl Warren steps down from the podium as James Roosevelt, one of the youngest Lieutenant Governors in California history, begins to speak:
"There is a man out there who tells us that "we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"  I am proud to call that man "Father!"  I was raised right, I was raised to respect the right, not the privilege, of freedom and liberty granted to every American by divine birthright!  I will stand against any man, any authority that would dare to further the limitations on our rights as a free state and a free people!  We have a right to keep our sons, fathers, and brothers from being drafted into imperialistic wars!  We have a right to prevent the segregation so popular in the Deep South from affecting our cities!  We have a right to individual sovereignty!  We demand to have these rights as granted by our Constitution now!"

The crowd explodes as the first real sign of resistance against the tyrannic rule of the United America Coalition is organized.  The implied threat of secession by the governor and lieutenant governor of California would go a long way in the fight for the restoration of freedom..........
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »

Awesome!

Also, can you give us a peak into Jackson and maybe Murray's cabinets?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2011, 05:42:16 AM »

Awesome!

Also, can you give us a peak into Jackson and maybe Murray's cabinets?

Meh, that's going to take some time.
I'll try to advance my current storyline first before going back and posting stuff like congressional results or cabinets.
wilji1090
Rookie
United States

« Reply #234 on: July 05, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »

Now here's a VERY good question, just what the heck is FDR's view on the whole thing now with the death of Al Smith and the Tammany Hall members. I think it's nice that Roosevelt reconciled with Smith, but is he going to believe the view of the Jackson Administration that Smith and the Tammany people tried to kill him from jail?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #235 on: July 14, 2011, 02:31:41 PM »

A Conversation

Jackson:
Bill, who the hell did you pay off to do that ship job?
William Matters, Edward Jackson's trusted confidante and the head of the Secret Service looks at him blankly.
Matters: Mister President...........I didn't set it up.
Jackson's skin goes white as he hears the words.
Jackson: What?
Matters: Sir I did not set in motion the USS Hood.  Nobody in my department knew about any such plan if it was being made.
My god.
Jackson: You mean to tell me that nobody knew about it?
Matters: No sir, I'm telling you that nobody in this Administration had this planned.  We were not behind Mt. Hood.  Neither could we find any explosive remains of a bomb on board.  Somebody besides us did that job.
Jackson is shocked silent.  He had assumed that Mt. Hood was a secret operation by the Secret Service to help the UAC to win a landslide victory.  Now suddenly a controversial bombing happened.....and none of Murray's former henchmen were behind it.
This might be just the opportunity we've been waiting for.  We may not have done it but we can still blame someone else.
Jackson: Oh my god.  This means this was an outside attack.  We were really attacked.
Matters looks at the stunned silent President before speaking.
Matters: It seems that would be true sir.  The worst part of it all being that we can't find any evidence of a bomb or a responsible party.  We can't blame the Progressive Conservative Coalition because this kind of act doesn't seem like the kind of act they would pull off, especially on a Presidential Election day.
Jackson: What about Tammany Hall?
Matters: You mean the hundreds of members of Tammany Hall stuck inside a prison?  That Tammany Hall?  Do you think people would really buy that?  A bunch of caged up papists setting off a chain of events that would only ensure the survival of the UAC?
Jackson: It could work.  Think about it.  The political machines have always been against Franklin Roosevelt.  Could it really be just a coincidence that the bomb went off on the ship Roosevelt was supposed to be on?
Matters: Yeah I guess that could work, for now.

The Edwards Administration was about to set into motion events that would lead to the largest mass execution in American history.  However, there was still that lingering question:

Who did it?

The truth would be something considered beyond the realm of possibility............
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #236 on: July 14, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »

Who is it?...(creepy music, wind sound effects, etc.)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »

...it would have been interesting to see how this would end. I mean, just because we allied with Germany doesn't mean we will lose WWII. Imagine if we won World War II, but we allied with the Germans.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »

A New Challenge
Canadian Resistance Headquarters:

Captain Joseph Kennedy, Jr. of the Flogging Mollies regiment of the Canadian Resistance, an elite group of mostly Irish American former US corpsmen, approaches the desk of Resistance General Jacques Pompier.  Pompier, a French-Canadien who has been fighting the good fight against the corrupt fascist regime that has controlled America for the past eight years or so, found the young Joseph Kennedy near his base in the late 1930's.  As time went on he would become one of Pompier's most capable officers, obtaining the rank of Captain at the young age of 25.  He was also the head of Operation Freedom, an idea cooked up by the American expatriates in the resistance movement to spark up a possible revolution within the states to put a major dent in the war plans of the United America Coalition.
However, with the world at war and the alliance of America, Germany, and Japan, dreams of freedom seemed far fetched.  The only real relief the movement had was an announcement from the government of the Republic of Ireland that it would cease all trade with the "Corrupted States of America" in light of the government's animosity towards Catholics and Jews.  Great Britain, usually at animosity with the Irish state, would pledge to defend the Republic of Ireland from American or German invasion.  The unity between the two in light of a world at war, the former conquered nation of seven hundred years and it's oppressor, would never be better.
However, at this stage it was almost pointless.  Britain stood almost completely alone in Europe against an unstoppable Nazi Germany and it's mighty American ally to the west.  No amount of sympathy, even sympathy as symbolic as that from a land they once oppressed, would be able to help them.  Pompier estimated that it wouldn't be a few months until the Germans kicked the British out of Normandy and then the inevitable: a battle over England herself.  The only thing that could possibly save Europe, or Canada for that matter, would be the most unexpected of unexpected events.  That event being a sudden Soviet invasion from the east into Germany.  Or better yet Hitler's egomania gets the better of him and he attacks Russia.  The Soviet army was so massive that Pompier believed that not even the seemingly invincible German army would stand a chance of Hell against it.  Especially with as much warning as the Soviets would have with their experienced officers.
Could be worse.  Look on the bright side Jacques: at least Hitler isn't allied with Stalin.
Captain Kennedy salutes Pompier.
Pompier: At ease Joe.  Take a seat.
Joe Kennedy, Jr. takes a seat in a chair in front of Pompier's desk.  Poor boy, Pompier thought, having his father thrown into prison for a crime he didn't commit and now the American Government is seconds away from declaring war on.......no.  Don't give them that much credit Jacques.
Kennedy: Sir!  Our 2nd Battalion has made significant progress in Montreal!  We have taken the enemy's second and fourth positions!  We have broke the bastards' hearts!
Pompier: Good.  Good.  How is Operation Freedom going?
Kennedy: Well, I must admit that by the standards I gave it last year it has much exceeded all of our expectations.  Here are some crosstabs some of my intelligence ops got from the Election.  It says here that while there was a landslide for the UAC that there are certain demographics that are strongly against the UAC.  Here take a look!
Pompier reads the data.  He looks at it.
Pompier looks again in disbelief.
Pompier: My god.  This is amazing!  We can go ahead with Phase two of the operation!  All we need is to give our friends in California a catalyst to get the engine wheels turning once more.
Kennedy: Sir, remember our deal.
Pompier: I know I know.  Don't worry about it Joe.  We won't take advantage of a weak American government and install our own.  We only exist to help you, our fellow North Americans seeking independence, to throw off the yolk of fascist oppression!  I hope you remember how much us Quebequois have helped you in this struggle decades from now.  This fight won't be easy Joe.  We don't have that many people with us now.  It is up to you and your fellow Freedom Fighters to help raise the consciousness of freedom in America today.  You got a way harder task than any of us do to be honest.  Hell, I don't expect you to be President of this new country.
Joe Kennedy reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a photo:

"There is only one man who can be President of America."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »

It's back!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
Jump to: