The End of Freedom: The Ultimate Cost of the Great Depression
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 02:38:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The End of Freedom: The Ultimate Cost of the Great Depression
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Poll
Question: Opinion of Sci-Fi elements
Interesting.

Meh, neutral.

Dude WTF?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: The End of Freedom: The Ultimate Cost of the Great Depression  (Read 82456 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »

Absolutely chilling. Grade A, certified ground beef stuff, Mech.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »

This is definitely the best TL I've ever written to this point.
It doesn't require the near insane amount of time as America that never was (on temporary hiatus) and the Rise of the Three Party System. And the plot advances at a much faster pace (or else I am writing more entries than I realize).
Although it is too early to know for sure but I seriously think I can take this one to the present day.
I have to study tonight for a test in a class I haven't been in for almost three weeks now, so no entry tonight. Also, I'm going to be traveling over Thanksgiving Break, so if there is a lull in updates that is why.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2009, 06:58:23 PM »

Joe Kennedy wouldn't be in the opposition!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »

Kennedy was a part of establishment targetet by our Okie crazy fellow

Beside, Cox wouldn't defeat Harding Tongue
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2009, 04:13:16 AM »

More!
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2009, 10:26:32 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »

Mechman, where the f u k are you...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2009, 01:49:36 AM »

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »

Guys so sorry about not being here on Monday night (other TLs). No bullsh*t I should have an update up tonight (or tomorrow morning LOL).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2009, 12:16:31 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2010, 03:50:20 PM by Diary of a Madman »

Mini Update (in other words update where no one gets executed):

The Republican Opposition:

As President Murray gained more and more executive power one of the loudest voices against his power grabs was Republican Senator Arthur Vandenberg of Michigan and the conservative wing of the Republican Party (the conservative Democrats had long ago caved into the statist demands of the president) who decried what they saw as a vast conspiracy as opponents of Murray seemed to suddenly kill each other.
However, with this opposition Murray would take a different approach: Ignorance.
He figured that with as many people that have ended up dead who spoke up against his administration any further sudden murders would arise suspicion, even with the void created by the death of the nine US Supreme Court Justices (wait till you see what he does there Wink). So rather than address the threat posed by the Republican Party, he simply deemed them "irrational conspiratorial spooks" and called upon the American people to search their rationality and judge for themselves how sane the Vandenberg Republicans are.
To avoid losing more Congressional Seats most Republicans would try to distance themselves from the Vandenberg wing, resulting in a large gain of Senate and House seats in 1938. The new GOP would end up (just like the Democratic Party) a scary version of it's former self. Instead of being guided by the principles of limited governance it would become a party that bowed down to the excesses and needs of corporate greed, using the strong militaristic society created under Murray to further their interest in propagating the evils of Big Business upon an innocent pure world, as well as an extreme anti-left paranoia that would cause the deaths of untold millions. (foreshadowing, in this time era when corporatism is unpopular it would be less noticable at the time)
In fact, the new GOP would be responsible for more evil in the world than the Democratic Party of William Murray could ever hope to be.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2009, 12:34:21 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2009, 12:37:18 AM by Jack One Two Jack One Two »

Breaking News:
June 12th, 1937: President William H. Murray signs Washington-Berlin Treaty of Alliance with German Fuhrer Adolf Hitler

New York Times

In a moment forever cemented in history, President Murray signed the Washington-Berlin Treaty of Alliance with Fuhrer Hitler, creating for the first time ever a complete alliance between the United States and Germany. This means that the world's two greatest powers are now bound in alliance against what Murray calls "the great tide of Jew Communism and cultural bastardism". Many speculate that such an alliance would usher in a Golden Era for both nations, who now lead the world in industrial output and have more than any other nation fought off the ravages of the Great Depression. Remember that it was only 2 years ago that the US still had an unemployment rate of over 18%, President Murray and his Democratic controlled Congress took 10% off the unemployment rate and reduced it to 8%, still not where the US economy should be but amazing given the economic circumstances. Now the US unemployment rate is at one of its lowest since before the 1929 Stock Market crash at 4.2%. Never before has employment and production both been as high as they are now, it seems now that the US is allies with the other world super power to have fought off this Great Depression, our nation is truly headed to the Golden Era.
The United Kingdom and France, two other powerful European superpowers, however, have rejected requests of alliance from Germany. It remains to be seen if President Murray's alliance with Hitler will persuade them to change their minds.

And so now even the nation's most respected newspapers began propagating the president and his nefarious agenda.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2009, 10:07:17 AM »

I guess I would never been born in this alternate world, much as many of fellow Europeans here
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »

Sorry guys for not deliviring on the blood or persecution this time.

I swear when I am not swamped with class projects I will come up with some psycho entries. Most likely an update should appear either on Thursday or over the weekend. Keep in mind that when I say "update" it usually means three or four entries or so, in other words it'll be worth the wait. I actually already know what I'm going to do next, it just takes a mega long time to do it.

Thank you for your patience.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »

Patience?

You know what: Fuck Patience
Patience is so fucking overrated.

How can we trust you?! Tongue

Seriously: We want update, take your time
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2009, 04:50:22 AM »

I want to see Cotton Tom!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2009, 05:51:30 PM »

You will see Cotton Tom soon, probably even tonight. Trust me, he will play a very very vital role.

And you will also see this guy!

I'm about 90% sure I'll have an update up for this TL and the feelgood "True Justice" one either tonight or early tomorrow morning.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2009, 02:37:21 AM »

A New Supremity:

After a few months of marial law and the masterminds behind the Supreme Court bombing were revealed, the public demanded that the President appoint a new Supreme Court. On October 29th, 1937, President Murray revealed his new Supreme Court. The nine justices were:

Associate Judges:
Former US Solicitor General and 1924 Democratic Presidential Nominee John W. Davis

The choice of Davis seemed like a natural choice for Murray, as he said that his views on "the rights and liberties of our great Anglo-Saxon culture are in lockstep with what our forefathers would've wanted".

Democratic Senator Richard Russell Jr. of Georgia

The young Democratic Senator from Georgia had what Murray called "the greatest mind in the senate and an expertise of the Constitution and of the law that not even geniuses possessed" as well as a respect for the "preservation of this great American culture."

Democratic Senator George L. Berry of Tennessee

President Murray would nominate Senator Berry of Tennessee due to his strong principled stances on labor rights against corporations. He was called the "balance" in the Court.

Former Democratic District Attorney Arthur Thomas Stewart of Tennessee

Murray would call the former district attorney from Tennessee "perhaps one of my best picks, a young well educated man with a strong grasp of the principles of the law and how to implement it to further the interests of our New Society".

Democratic Representative Millard F. Caldwell of Florida's 3rd Congressional District

The Democratic Representative from Florida's 3rd Congressional District, Millard F. Caldwell, would be yet another one of Murray's favorite picks as he said "Caldwell has it all: honesty, integrity, constitutionalism, and a devotion to public service that is to be commended. What we should look for in all of our judges."

Former Democratic Mississippi House of Representative John C. Stennis

One of the more younger picks for an Associate Supreme Court Justice, Stennis was chosen for his "dedication and zeal to laying down and executing the word of the law in accordance with the finest of the traditions of our great Anglo-Saxon culture".

Democratic Mississippi cotton farmer and former lawyer James Eastland

The young former lawyer from Mississippi and prominent cotton farmer James Eastland would be given the nod for the position of Associate Judge to the Supreme Court. Murray would say of this pick "perhaps one of the most radical defenders of our great Anglo-Saxon Constitution that I have ever met."

Democratic Representative Absalom W. Robertson of Virginia's 7th Congressional District

A three term Representative from Virginia's 7th Congressional district, Absalom W. Robertson, in the words of President Murray, is "one of our most zealous crusaders in the defense of the upholding of Anglo-Saxon rights".

And finally, Murray's pick for the Supreme Justice:

Former Democratic Senator James Thomas Heflin of Alabama

A strong supporter of the preservation of Anglo-Saxon culture, President Murray would say that his choice of the retired Alabama Senator as the Supreme Justice was due to his "decades of experience of fighting for the protection and decency of our fine Anglo-Saxon culture against the would be Black Tide of Corporations, Carpetbaggers, and Coons."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2009, 07:41:24 AM »

Wow, and that's the Supreme Court present-day Republican Right would love!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2009, 12:57:31 AM »

How is an all-Southern Court confirmed?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »

HAVE YOU READ THE TIMELINE?Huh??!!!!!

Amerca is already on the borderline of a fascistic police state by the time the US Supreme Court is confirmed. THe Senate is motivated by fear to confirm them all.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2009, 02:00:11 AM »

I have, but I would figure there would be at least one token Northern racist.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2009, 03:30:45 AM »

I have, but I would figure there would be at least one token Northern racist.

Sorry, I was too lazy to find a northern racist.
You got an suggestions?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2009, 06:21:12 AM »

Hm, I'm not so sure if Stennis would be in the court. He was segregationist for political reasons, but was damn far from guys like Jim Eastland and of course our favorite hero Cotton Tom.

Btw, John W. Davis is now President in my TL, and here's he's only a humble justice, shame on you, Mech. 
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »

Bump, man, bump!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »

Alright, well someday I will fix the Supreme Court to include at least a few northerners, but for right now I need a new update:

Segregation Now, Segregation Forever:
IN February of 1939, the Segregation Amendment was passed in Congress before being ratified by the Supreme Court. THe Court voted unanimously to allow the amendment to pass. As a result of the bill, the entire United States would be segregated between black and white. President Murray would hail this as "a landmark bill that will guarantee our nation prosperity for decades to come!" THe bill would also do more than make segregation a national policy as it would make interracial marriage, and even dating, illegal. Although it was popular among the general public, some prominent public figures like Senator Robert A. Taft, businessman Wendell Wilkie, and a young Nelson Rockefeller would voice opposition to it, with Nelson Rockefeller going as far as to call it "the most disgusting bigoted legislation to ever be forced on the American people."

Nelson Rockefeller, one of the loudest critics of the Segregation Amendment. His words, however, would come back to haunt him later in life.

A World at War

In September of 1939, Adolf Hitler's Nazi Germany and Josef Stalin's Soviet Union invaded Poland. In response the Allied POwers (Britain, France, etc.) declared war on the Axis Powers (Italy, Germany, Japan). By proxy of the alliance with Germany the US would declare war against the Allied Powers. With German tanks rolling through Western and Eastern Europe, the United States would, in October 1939, invade Canada with a force of over 2.5 million men on an unprepared Canadian populace. By November Ottawa, the Canadian Capital, has fallen and the Canadian government surrenders. In place of the Canadian government the US installs a puppet government under former Utah governor George Dern to rule over Canada. However, despite the successful invasion of Canada, the people of Quebec renounced their allegiance to the government of Canada and declared war against the United States of America. As a result, the American-Quebec War, one of the bloodiest conflicts in World War II, would be waged for the next 4 years.

George Henry Dern, the leader of the Canadian Government during the American Occupation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies