Poll about Mitt Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:04:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Poll about Mitt Romney
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Which of these three best describes Mitt Romney?
Mitt Romney was born great

Mitt Romney had greatness thrust upon him

Mitt Romney achieved greatness

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Poll about Mitt Romney  (Read 20298 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2009, 07:35:51 PM »

The blue states are states that Romney will easily win in 2012, given that Obama's approval ratings are less than 55, maybe even 60%. The only way the South would be when Obama is leading by double-digits. You could also reverse that and say the Northeast could come into play... if Obama's approval ratings are below 40%.

No.
Care to explain?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2009, 07:44:59 PM »

The blue states are states that Romney will easily win in 2012, given that Obama's approval ratings are less than 55, maybe even 60%. The only way the South would be when Obama is leading by double-digits. You could also reverse that and say the Northeast could come into play... if Obama's approval ratings are below 40%.

No.
Care to explain?

First, don't act like Romney is already the nominee. Second, he wouldn't "easily" win WV, or SC, and many other Southern states. Also, why is SD blue but ND is gray? They're not that different politically. (I know you'll give ND to Romney before taking SD away, but it's simply meant to point out another flaw in your map). Anyway, the South would definitely be in play if Romney were the nominee. As for the Northeast, the same could be said for pretty much any Republican. That leads me to my last point: where exactly do you expect to find Romney-specific support? Massachusetts?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2009, 07:47:39 PM »

No.
Care to explain?

First, don't act like Romney is already the nominee. Second, he wouldn't "easily" win WV, or SC, and many other Southern states. Also, why is SD blue but ND is gray? They're not that different politically. (I know you'll give ND to Romney before taking SD away, but it's simply meant to point out another flaw in your map). Anyway, the South would definitely be in play if Romney were the nominee. As for the Northeast, the same could be said for pretty much any Republican. That leads me to my last point: where exactly do you expect to find Romney-specific support? Massachusetts?

Romney would not find any friends in the Northeast. Didn't he leave Massachusetts with a >35 approval rating?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2009, 07:47:59 PM »

I hate Romney with every inch of my body. If he does win the Republican Nom in 2012, I will be voting 3rd party. Also, the south would be in play as well.

Oh please. The deep south will not be in play for Obama, and the idea that it will be is preposterous. And, but you in fact did vote for Obama, so I am sorry, but that isn't really a threat to Mitt.

Also, Huckabee is dead, True Conservative. His clemency scandal is worse then then Willie Horton. No, of course Romney isn't the nominee, but it seems almost inevitable. All of his potential rivals, outside of Pawlenty, have shot themselves in the foot.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2009, 07:49:43 PM »

No.
Care to explain?

Romney would not find any friends in the Northeast. Didn't he leave Massachusetts with a >35 approval rating?

Exactly. Which is why I do not understand why tmthforu94 expects Romney to do that much better in the Northeast copared to other Republicans.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »

Also, Huckabee is dead, True Conservative. His clemency scandal is worse then then Willie Horton. No, of course Romney isn't the nominee, but it seems almost inevitable. All of his potential rivals, outside of Pawlenty, have shot themselves in the foot.

I'll vote for anyone over Romney. If stopping him means I must vote for Pawlenty, I'll do it.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »

I'll vote for anyone over Romney. If stopping him means I must vote for Pawlenty, I'll do it.

You'd vote for Obama over Romney?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2009, 07:54:23 PM »

No, in that case I would vote third party. But you probably do realize that I was referring to the Republican primary candidates, no?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2009, 07:54:32 PM »

Romney would do better in the Northeast than other Republican contenders (Jindal, Pawlenty, Palin, Huckabee) because his political views are more in line with the Northeast than other candidates. If another moderate entered the race, he or she would take away from Romney there.
Please provide some sort of evidence that the South would be in play if Romney was the nominee...
FACT - Romney did well in Southern states, and came very close to winning.
There is no evidence that Romney will be very weak in the South in a general election versus Obama if the election is competitive. If Hillary was President, possibly. But not with Obama.

North Dakota was a mistake. It should also be blue.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2009, 07:54:51 PM »

Oye. Here it is:

Mitt Romney Approval Rating

Nov. 2006:  Approve: 34%  Disaprove: 65%

Ouch. He might have actually done worse than McCain in the Northeast if he was the nominee in 2008.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »

No, in that case I would vote third party. But you probably do realize that I was referring to the Republican primary candidates, no?

Yes I noticed, it was just a question. Why would you vote third party, though? Voting third party is, after all, a waste of a vote. When it comes to the general election, it's basically a lesser of two evils choice.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2009, 07:58:39 PM »

Romney would do better in the Northeast than other Republican contenders (Jindal, Pawlenty, Palin, Huckabee) because his political views are more in line with the Northeast than other candidates. If another moderate entered the race, he or she would take away from Romney there.
Please provide some sort of evidence that the South would be in play if Romney was the nominee...
There is no evidence that Romney will be very weak in the South in a general election versus Obama if the election is competitive. If Hillary was President, possibly. But not with Obama.

LOL. You don't get anything about Romney, do you?

Neither moderates nor conservatives would vote for him. The notion that Northeasterners would favor the "moderate" Romney is all false. If anything, that's the problem with Romney--conservatives think he's too liberal, and moderates think he's too conservative.

And no, Romney didn't do well in the South at all.

And sadly, ND doesn't surprise me.

Oye. Here it is:

Nov. 2006:  Approve: 34%  Disaprove: 65%

Ouch. He might have actually done worse than McCain in the Northeast if he was the nominee in 2008.

Bingo!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »

In his defense, much of it was due to Republicans being unpopular nationwide. In May `06, his approval rating was 46%. The way his numbers changed were similar to George H. W. Bush: They were high at the beginning, became average, plummeted at the end, but recovered when he was out of office.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2009, 08:01:58 PM »

LOL. You don't get anything about Romney, do you?

Neither moderates nor conservatives would vote for him. The notion that Northeasterners would favor the "moderate" Romney is all false. If anything, that's the problem with Romney--conservatives think he's too liberal, and moderates think he's too conservative.

And no, Romney didn't do well in the South at all.

And sadly, ND doesn't surprise me.

Oye. Here it is:

Nov. 2006:  Approve: 34%  Disaprove: 65%

Bingo!
Well, if no one would vote for him, which is what you're basically implying, then why is he considered the frontrunner for the Republican nomination? Why did he finish second during the `08 primaries?
Romney did well in the South, and I will happily disagree with you on that. You have to keep in mind, of his two main opponents, one was beginning to be considered the presumptive nominee, and the other was from the South. With that in mind, Romney did well. If he had won Florida, I strongly believe Romney would have won Georgia, Missouri, and possibly Tennessee.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2009, 08:04:27 PM »

In his defense, much of it was due to Republicans being unpopular nationwide. In May `06, his approval rating was 46%. The way his numbers changed were similar to George H. W. Bush: They were high at the beginning, became average, plummeted at the end, but recovered when he was out of office.

No, they didn't recover at all. I don't think you'll find a January 2007 poll that shows him with a net approval rating. Romney is no Bush Senior.

And you should look at the Massachusetts election results of 2006. Yes, Bay Staters may not have liked Republicans overall, but the results were fueled primarily by disapproval of Romney and his management of the state. He pretty much destroyed the state Republican party, which is outnumbered 7 to 1 in the state senate, and 9 to 1 in the state House.

Moreover, the Democrats took the governorship 56 to 35. I doubt that any of these results were influenced by the national environment.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »

Yes, Bay Staters may not have liked Republicans overall, but the results were fueled primarily by disapproval of Romney and his management of the state. He pretty much destroyed the local Republican party, which is outnumbered 7 to 1 in the state senate, and 9 to 1 in the state House.
Once again, you're just making assumptions based on no factual evidence. Romney must have been somewhat popular in Massachusetts. He easily won the primary there.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »

Yes I noticed, it was just a question. Why would you vote third party, though? Voting third party is, after all, a waste of a vote. When it comes to the general election, it's basically a lesser of two evils choice.

No. I'd vote third party because between Obama and Romney, neither side is the lesser evil, and I'm equally scared of either one being president.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:01 PM »

The 2008 election cycle, and Romney's defeat, were due to factors outside his control. Romney had to compete with everyone, McCain and Giuliani on his left, and Huckabee on his right. McCain and Huckabee, on the other hand, didn't have to compete for the same votes. Their voters were fundamentally different people. Romney, seeing these obstacles, did as should be expected.

2012, however, is another call. It's a brand new ball game. Romney has no one on his left, and can be counted on as being the heavyweight from that side of the party. Huckabee and Palin, however, are competing for the same voters. This is a crucial impediment to both of their campaigns, and seriously benefits Romney.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2009, 08:12:38 PM »

Yes, Bay Staters may not have liked Republicans overall, but the results were fueled primarily by disapproval of Romney and his management of the state. He pretty much destroyed the local Republican party, which is outnumbered 7 to 1 in the state senate, and 9 to 1 in the state House.
Once again, you're just making assumptions based on no factual evidence. Romney must have been somewhat popular in Massachusetts. He easily won the primary there.

And was also utterly crushed in the other Northeastern Primaries: McCain won these by over 30 points: New Jersey, New York and Connecticut. Romney won a 10 point victory over McCain in Massachusetts.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »

And was also utterly crushed in the other Northeastern Primaries: McCain won these by over 30 points: New Jersey, New York and Connecticut. Romney won a 10 point victory over McCain in Massachusetts.
Which is why I said earlier that another moderate entering the race would severely hurt Romney in the Northeast. I still think he'd have an upper hand if it's a no name, but if someone like Snowe would run, he would lose to her.
McCain was also the heavy favorite to win. Things might have been different if it was a toss-up.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2009, 08:15:57 PM »

True. Romney just barely got half of the votes in Massachusetts.

And I'm assuming that only the most Republican voters actually went to the GOP primary, and it's saying something that Romney got only slightly more than half of Massachusetts Republicans.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »

Sad. Someone respond to me.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2009, 08:17:50 PM »

You're amazing.
Wink
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2009, 09:02:19 PM »

To think Romney would do well in the Northeast, well, is just stupid. Romney, has no backbone at all and will bend to anyone's will. When he was governor he bent for the Liberals, when he ran in the primaries he tried to bend for the conservatives. This guy will do anything to get elected. Also, it will be a great day to see Romney get destroyed in the primaries.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2009, 09:06:41 PM »

To think Romney would do well in the Northeast, well, is just stupid. Romney, has no backbone at all and will bend to anyone's will. When he was governor he bent for the Liberals, when he ran in the primaries he tried to bend for the conservatives. This guy will do anything to get elected. Also, it will be a great day to see Romney get destroyed in the primaries.
If everyone thinks Romney is so bad and won't win any base, why is he leading the polls? Why did he take 2nd in 2008, and actually had a chance to win. Because honestly, if Romney had won 2/3 in New Hampshire, Florida, and Iowa, he would have won the nomination,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies