Describe your local elections this fall (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:00:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Describe your local elections this fall (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe your local elections this fall  (Read 13688 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: September 25, 2007, 08:41:46 PM »
« edited: September 25, 2007, 08:44:51 PM by Verily »

My hometown in Englewood, NJ, population about 26,000 and overwhelmingly Democratic (so the relevant races are the Democratic primaries unless a Democrat runs as an Independent).

At the local level, we have two elections to the City Council, though neither is in my ward. Council President Charlotte Bennett Schoen in Ward 2 and Jack Drakeford in Ward 4 are up for reelection. All members of the City Council (there are 5) are Democrats.

Ward 2 saw a competitive Democratic primary, with incumbent Schoen surviving a challenge from the county Democratic machine. (I supported Schoen.) She will soar to reelection with at least 60% of the vote, probably more. Ward 2 is one of the two wealthy, mostly white wards (unlike the other, Ward 1, it has no mostly Hispanic apartment complexes, though it does have an area of mostly black low-income housing at the south end). It is probably the "most" Republican. It has a very high Jewish population, about 40% of the ward.

Ward 4 saw an amusing Republican primary, in which the Republican candidate was nominated by a vote of... 6-2. The losing Republican candidate was quoted in the local paper as saying she did not know she was a candidate. Ward 4 is overwhelmingly Democratic (and overwhelmingly black), and Jack Drakeford should get at least 90% of the vote. Drakeford is the last survivor of the county Democratic machine loyalists on the council and a despicable race-baiter and corrupt, but his ward loves him.

Race is generally only a factor in Ward 4 races, though it is true that the Councillors from the other wards are all white.

If I had to guess the racial demographics of each Ward:

Ward 1: 55% white, 25% Hispanic, 15% black, 5% Asian
Ward 2: 65% white, 25% black, 5% Hispanic, 5% Asian
Ward 3: 40% white, 25% black, 20% Hispanic, 15% Asian (my ward)
Ward 4: 70% black, 25% Hispanic, 5% white
Englewood: 35% black, 35% white, 15% Hispanic, 5% Asian

(The wards do not even approach population parity, with Ward 3 being by far the largest and Ward 1 significantly smaller than Wards 2 and 4.)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 02:23:51 PM »

Got a provincial election on Oct. 10th. I know who will win in my district.

No come-from-behind victory for Edelweiss D'Andrea? Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies