Describe your local elections this fall (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:01:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Describe your local elections this fall (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe your local elections this fall  (Read 13690 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« on: September 27, 2007, 09:31:55 PM »

The small rural town that I am in will have an election for Town Supervisor.  The Republican incumbent was knocked off in the primary and I believe has no Democratic opponent in the fall. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:39:32 AM »

My small upstate New York town is a small town council and the only seat contested by Democrats is one town council seat left open by a Republican.  My guess is the Republican holds it. 

In the town just south of me, Saratoga Springs, there are a few contested races.  In 2005, Democrats won every seat on the city council except for Finance Commissioner which was held by a Dem leaning independent.   The most competitive in 2007 are for City Finance commissioner and Public Works Commissioner. 

The Finance Commissioner which is open and was held by the independent will probably be won by Republican Ken Ivins over Democrat Janet Weich by a 54%-46% margin. 

The Public Works race is a pure tossup at this point.  Incumbent Democrat Tom McTygue has held the position since Jimmy Carter was still President(1977) and is in the fight of his life against former Republican county supervisor Skip Scirrocco.  McTygue is disliked by many Democrats, but is actually supported by many Republicans because of his relatively conservative views and clashes with the Democratic mayor.  I was leaning ever so slightly to the incumbent Democrat until about a week ago, but now think the Republican will pull off a surprisingly narrow 53%-47% upset.  I could be wrong though. 

The Mayor's race is also marginally competitive, but the incumbent Democrat is still favored even though the Republican challenger has clearly gained in the last couple weeks. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:48:23 AM »

Republicans won the last of the five special elections for the Maine House of Representatives, but the Democrats still gained 1 (gross and net) additional seat.  The standing in the House will now be 90 Democrats, 59 Republicans and 2 Independents, with one of the Independents being pretty cozy with each of the two major parties.  The Democrats control the Maine Senate, 18-17.

I thought that the Maine House was already 90-59-2 after the Special election in June. 

Anyway, where I live in Greenfield Center, NY,  Republicans retained all of the offices on the town council as expected.  However, in the town just South of me, Saratoga Springs, there was a huge wave against the Democrats.  Incumbent mayor Val Keehn, who was expected to win easily lost by a 48%-44% margin, probably due to Democrat Gordon Boyd who decided to run on the independent line.  Also losing was longtime incumbent Democratic Commissioner of Public Works Tom McTygue who got smoked by a 61%-38% margin by Republican Skip Scirocco, who was rumored to be investigated by the FBI.  This also helped pull down Janet Weiche, the Democrat running to replace Independent Matt McCabe for Finance Commissioner as well as incumbent Democratic Supervisor Cheryl Kerouze. 
Not a good night for Saratoga Democrats at all.  Probably the worst in decades. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies