Describe your local elections this fall (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:48:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Describe your local elections this fall (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe your local elections this fall  (Read 13688 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« on: September 25, 2007, 07:33:36 PM »
« edited: September 25, 2007, 07:54:36 PM by StateBoiler »

Fun little thread I think that can give a dose of what's going on locally for the rest of the forum, to show what the rest of the country looks like on the microscopic scale:

Mayor of Rocky Mount, NC - city of 60000, 70 miles east of Raleigh, lays just east of I-95, some industry, good bit of agriculture

After 35 years as Mayor, Frederick Turnage is stepping down as Mayor. There are two individuals hoping to replace him. This is officially a non-partisan race but I've applied the party labels:

David W. Combs
- City Council Ward 5 representative since 2000
- white Democrat (I know he's Democrat cause he's on John Edwards' donor list)
- realtor

Lamont Wiggins
- City Council Ward 3 representative since 1997
- black Democrat
- lawyer

Rocky Mount's politics are best put as racial. Alongside the mayor, there are 7 wards. 4 are currently represented by blacks and 3 by whites. This is the first time ever the city council is majority black. Another main campaign issue is crime, which has increased (something unfortunately I was victim to). Combs is looking to improve the city's business culture while Wiggins is focusing more on improving the impoverished-looking inner-city areas.
http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/search/content/news/stories/2007/09/12/campaignfinance.html
http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/search/content/news/stories/2007/08/31/crime.html

Only one ward is near a 50-50 split on white-to-black ratio, Ward 4 (32% white, 68% black), and it is currently held by a black representative. There is a contested election in that ward this coming October that some say is more important to the city's future than the mayoral race. The current representative was not elected but was appointed to the seat after the former rep was appointed to the North Carolina General Assembly. Other than race it also comes down to the high costs of utilities currently. http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/search/content/news/stories/2007/09/23/campaigns.html

There is also a race in my ward of Ward 5. All 3 candidates are white so race is not an issue. With Combs running for mayor, it's an open race. Combs has supported an RBC Centura executive that will probably win. There are two other candidates, one of which I'll vote for just cause he came and talked to me. http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/search/content/news/elections07/2007/09/16/ward5race.html

Another ward, Ward 1, is up for election and should be easily won by the incumbent.

http://www.ci.rocky-mount.nc.us/council.html
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 10:32:41 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2007, 10:57:05 PM by StateBoiler »

For background see original post. City of Rocky Mount elections results was that Mr. Combs won. Roughly same percentage as the outgoing mayor won in 2003 (55-45). (Nash and Edgecombe signifies the county breakdown, the city straddles the county line.)

David Combs-white Democrat   5790   54.19%
Lamont Wiggins-black Democrat   4894   45.81%
Mayor   10684   

Combs   5456   69.18%
Wiggins   2431   30.82%
Nash Total   7887   

Wiggins   2463   88.06%
Combs   334   11.94%
Edgecombe Total   2797   

The most important result was in Ward 4, where (appointed) incumbent Lois Watkins lost by 10 votes to former councilman Dan Looney. Because no one took 50%, it will go to runoff.

Tom Looney-white Republican   576   46.83%
Lois Watkins-black Democrat   566   46.02%
William Earl Hill-black Democrat   88   7.15%
Ward 4 Total   1230   
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 10:45:55 PM »

The most important result was in Ward 4, where (appointed) incumbent Lois Watkins lost by 10 votes to former councilman Dan Looney. Because no one took 50%, it will go to runoff.

Tom Looney-white Republican   576   46.83%
Lois Watkins-black Democrat   566   46.02%
William Earl Hill-black Democrat   88   7.15%
Ward 4 Total   1230   

Ms. Watkins won the runoff over Mr. Looney by more than 300 votes.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:31:02 AM »

We have the General Assembly election next month in Virginia Beach. Democrats are, for once, actually contesting some of the Republican-held seats: in District 21, incumbent John Welch is being challenged by Democrat Bobby Mathieson, in District 82, the most competitive race in the city this fall, Republican Chris Stolle and Democrat Joe Bouchard are running for an open Republican-held seat, and in District 83, incumbent Bob Purkey is being challenged by Democrat Bob MacIver (who has absolutely no shot at winning, but I'll be voting for him anyway). our other three Delegates (Terrie Suit R-82, Sal Iaquinto R-84, and Bob Tata R-85) are running unopposed, as are our State Senators (Frank Wagner R-7 and Ken Stolle R-8). some other districts have precincts in Virginia Beach, but these guys represent the majority of the city.

Shockingly, both Mathieson and Bouchard ended up winning. Two Democrats representing Virginia Beach -- it's amazing!

How is that area and the cities in general act in politics: Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton Roads, Newport News? I know Norfolk is heavy in military. I assume Va Beach is Republican from your comment.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:11:32 AM »

("I (heart) JET NOISE" bumper stickers abound -- believe me, you wouldn't if you had to live underneath their flight paths).

I actually lived for most of my life lined up perfectly with one of the runways for MCAS Cherry Point in eastern NC. Nothing shakes a house better than a C-5 that was short on final. Smiley

Over time I got used to it and just ignored it.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 12:12:19 PM »

Republicans won the last of the five special elections for the Maine House of Representatives, but the Democrats still gained 1 (gross and net) additional seat.  The standing in the House will now be 90 Democrats, 59 Republicans and 2 Independents, with one of the Independents being pretty cozy with each of the two major parties.  The Democrats control the Maine Senate, 18-17.

Is John Eder one of those 2 indys?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies