Describe your local elections this fall (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:19:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Describe your local elections this fall (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe your local elections this fall  (Read 13688 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« on: September 28, 2007, 01:01:24 PM »

We have both Town and County elections this year.

Suffolk County:

County Executive:  Steve Levy, the Democratic incumbent, has been cross-endorsed by the Republican Party.  He's pretty much guaranteed re-election with such bi-partisan support, and I plan to vote for him.  His only main competition is Peter Busacca, who is running on the Integrity line of the ballot.

County Legislator:  The County Legislature is divided into 18 districts.  I am in the 6th district.  Incumbent Republican Dan Losquadro is running for re-election against Democrat Bryan Lilly.  Losquadro is the minority leader in the legislature, and has a good chance to be re-elected.  I plan to vote for him.

Town of Brookhaven:

Town Supervisor:  Incumbent Democrat Brian X Foley is running for re-election and I expect him to be re-elected pretty easily.  His opponent is Republican Robert DiCarlo, a former Brooklyn State Senator.  He's been airing some attack ads, but I just don't see the GOP taking back the Supervisor's seat this year.

Town Council:  The Town Council has 6 districts, I am in district 4.  Democratic Incumbent Connie Kepert is running for re-election against Republican Roberta Owens.  I expect Kepert to keep the seat, but Owens is an unusual candidate for a Republican.  She's Vice-President of the local NAACP chapter and Chairwoman of the town Black History Commission.  I'm a bit undecided on this race.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 01:58:40 PM »

Do you think the cross-endorsement helps the GOP limit the Levy coattails in regard to the Legislature and other down ballot races or do you think it makes very little difference?

It really is amazing what has happened to the Brookhaven GOP which was really dominant for so many years, as well as the Islip GOP, and both are basically dead.  It use to go back and forth on who is more dominant in Long Island politics the Brookhaven or Islip GOP.  Now its a back and forth battle about who is more pathetic in Long Island politics the Brookhaven or Islip GOP.

I think the cross-endorsement will make little difference down ballot honestly.  I was pretty much planning to vote for Levy anyway, even though he's a Democrat.  I like him, and I think he's done a decent job.

As for the local GOP parties, you're absolutely right that they have both gone into total meltdown.  I expect it will take a better part of a decade to recover, but you never know.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:45:24 AM »

News from Suffolk:

Suffolk County Dems celebrated Tuesday as their party remained in the majority in the Legislature.

The Democrats were able to maintain their balance of power by picking up another seat in the 4th Legislative District. Another victory for the Democrats included the Islip Town supervisor position. Democrat Phil Nolan defeated Clara Datre with 69 percent of the vote. It's the first time since 1931 that the Democrats have a 4-1 majority in Islip Town.

However, Republicans were celebrating their victory in Brookhaven where they took over the town board. The GOP chairman said although his party didn't win the majority, Brookhaven is Republican again. Despite gaining the town board, the Democrats won the supervisor seat with a victory by incumbent Brian Foley.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 02:22:06 AM »

Amusingly, the one race where I voted for the Democrat over the Republican, the Republican won.

2 out of 3 propositions went the way I wanted them to though.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:33:03 AM »

Amusingly, the one race where I voted for the Democrat over the Republican, the Republican won.

2 out of 3 propositions went the way I wanted them to though.

Receiver of taxes??

What prop didn't go the way you wanted?  the 1/4 cent sales tax extension passing?

That's the proposition.  And no, actually it was the 6th county LD.  Although the receiver of taxes race surprised me considering Foley won.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies