Describe your local elections this fall (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:06:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Describe your local elections this fall (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe your local elections this fall  (Read 13689 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« on: September 28, 2007, 12:24:29 AM »

We will elect County Commissioners and County Row Offices. State judges also.

The two incumbent two term Republicans (Mead and Litwin) are running as a ticket after defeating four other Republicans in the primary (first contested primary in some time). One of the other Republicans (Keiser) is planning a write-in campaign. The two Democrats running are the incumbent one termer (Bartron) and an Irish guy who I know from Church (Cronin). It's likely that Cronin will be elected as the Democrat. I would usually say there would be two Republicans elected, but Keiser is running as the anti-incumbent and the Mead and Litwin only pulled ~20% each in the primary, compared to Keiser at ~17%. There is certainly some discontent with both of them.

Row Offices shouldn't be competitive at all (ie Republican victories throughout).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 04:23:29 AM »

We will elect County Commissioners and County Row Offices. State judges also.

The two incumbent two term Republicans (Mead and Litwin) are running as a ticket after defeating four other Republicans in the primary (first contested primary in some time). One of the other Republicans (Keiser) is planning a write-in campaign. The two Democrats running are the incumbent one termer (Bartron) and an Irish guy who I know from Church (Cronin). It's likely that Cronin will be elected as the Democrat. I would usually say there would be two Republicans elected, but Keiser is running as the anti-incumbent and the Mead and Litwin only pulled ~20% each in the primary, compared to Keiser at ~17%. There is certainly some discontent with both of them.

Row Offices shouldn't be competitive at all (ie Republican victories throughout).

Fairly boring elections. Keiser punted the idea of an independent bid under pressure from local GOP leaders who were worried about two Democrats winning election. The incumbents all ended up winning however.

Mead (GOP) (i) - 48.3% of voters
Litwin (GOP) (i) - 46.7%
Bartron (Dem) (i) - 45.5%
Cronin (Dem) - 36.9%
Under votes - 20.8%

Two interesting notes. 1. The sheer total of under votes. I don't have historical figures, but 20% of voters chose only one or no candidate, which has to be high for the only high profile race on the ballot. 2. Democrats won 46% of valid votes, while Republicans won 54%. This in a 60-40 Bush county. The incumbent sheriff (GOP) won 64% and in the auditor's race the incumbent GOP'ers won 62%.

Ho-hum mostly. There was controversy over the incumbent sheriff forcing people the remove campaign signs for his opponent for violating borough codes of some twisted interpretation.

And I've decided to run for Borough Council in two years, just because there is never anyone on the ballot and it'd be interesting to see how local government operates.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:39:01 AM »

Other local elections were brutal to Republicans.

In Luzerne County, Democrats swept every row office, defeating the Republican incumbent sheriff and another officer (forget which). They also won both commissioners seats heavily, won the Wilkes-Barre mayoral election easily, and swept the seats on the Wilkes-Barre City Council (which was elected by districts for the first time). All in all, not a good day. Normal doom and gloom for the losing party in the papers today.

In Lackawanna County, the incumbent majority GOP commissioners (elected as a majority in 2003 for the first GOP majority in decades) were defeated rather heavily. Democrats both got almost identical totals (41,176 and 41,155) and Republicans got almost identical totals (18121 and 18051). Just a full on drubbing - 69% to 31%. Course, they both are under investigation and running in a 56-42 Bush-Kerry county, but the victory was as big as Casey's. Row offices went all Democrat as well.

Just checked, Luzerne GOP lost Recorder of Deeds as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies