The Presidency of Hubert Humphrey and Everything After:
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:28:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Presidency of Hubert Humphrey and Everything After:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Presidency of Hubert Humphrey and Everything After:  (Read 10049 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »

Continues to be a good read. I'm still a bit concerned about your Election maps though. However as MikeyMike said long ago the story balances it out. I have yet another question to ask you about your TL. What's Bill and Hillary Clinton doing in this TL?

Bill served as Governor of Arkansas, and is now teaching at Arkansas, along with Hillary.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 07:19:34 PM »

The First Term of James G. Martin

In his Inaugural, Martin talks at length about the need for stronger environmental laws.  He also promises to try and pass NAFTA, which had been rejected by Bumpers, but was a high priority item for conservative Republicans.  He echoes a theme of Bumpers' speeches, and says that the US must continue to be a major player on the world stage.

Martin appoints defeated Minnesota senator David Durenberger Secretary of State, Richard Cheney as Secretary of Defense, Clarence Thomas as Attorney General, and Robert Mosbacher as Secretary of the Treasury.

Shortly after taking office, Martin signs the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, which requires large employers to allow their employees to take unpaid leave because of pregnancy or serious medical condition.

Three weeks later, Martin deals with the aftermath of the World Trade Center bombing.  He is widely praised for his handling of the situation.

On January 9, Martin vetoes the Specter-Feinstein Gun Control Act of 1994, which would have imposed a five-day waiting period on handgun purchases.  In his veto message, Martin says that he would not veto all such legislation, but he felt this act was too restrictive.  In response, on February 20, Congress passes the Warner-Kennedy Gun Control Act of 1994, which Martin signs.

On June 22, 1994, Martin signs the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 which passed Congress without a single Republican vote. It raises taxes on the wealthiest 2% of taxpayers, while cutting taxes on 20 million low-income families and making tax cuts available to 80 percent of small businesses. Additionally, it mandated that the budget be balanced over a number of years and the deficit be reduced.  The bill was heavily criticized by House Republicans, especially Newt Gingrich.

The 1994 Congressional Elections

Combined with the satisfaction over Martin's leadership and the avid campaigning of Gingrich, the GOP retakes the House for the first time in 40 years.  In the Senate, they take seats in Arizona, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee.

House Results:
Republicans: 230 (+43)
Democrats: 205 (-43)

Senate Results:
Democrats: 55 (-8)
Republicans: 45 (+8)

On July 11, Martin signs the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act , which was opposed by Speaker Gingrich, and further angered GOP conservatives.

On December 2, Martin signs the Telecommunications Act of 1995.

On December 9, Martin announces that he will seek reelection.  The next day, Vice President Lugar says that he will also run again.

The 1996 Republican National Convention

During the primaries, Martin is challenged by Louisiana congressman Bob Livingston.  It is widely thought that Livingston is merely acting as a puppet for Gingrich, who is afraid to lose his House seat.  After a tough battle that went on through March, Martin is renominated, and he selects Lugar once again.  Shortly after the convention, Livingston endorses Martin, and Gingrich does the same.

The 1996 Democratic National Convention

Shortly before the primaries, one major candidate emerges.  Senator John Breaux of Louisiana, a moderate, swept through the primaries, with token opposition from minor candidates.  He selects Connecticut Senator Joseph Lieberman as his Vice President, making Lieberman the first Jew on any major party Presidential Ticket.

The 1996 Presidential Election

Although it was widely assumed that Martin would cakewalk to victory, Breaux managed to make the race much closer at the end, although Martin is still narrowly reelected.

James Martin/Dick Lugar: 281 EV, 53.38% PV
John Breaux/Joe Lieberman: 257 EV, 46.62% PV

The 1996 Congressional Elections

Building on his success in '92 and '94, Gingrich is able to pick up several seats in the House.  In the Senate, the GOP takes seats in Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, and North Carolina.  The Democrats gain a seat in South Dakota.

House Results
Republicans: 238 (+8)
Democrats: 197 (-8)

Senate Results
Democrats: 51 (-4)
Republicans: 49 (+4)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »

The Second Term of James G. Martin

In his Inaugural Address, Martin talks about the need for America to be strong entering the new millennium.  On February 16, he signs a minimum wage increase, and on March 2, he signs the Defense of Marriage Act.

On October 28, Martin signs one of the largest tax cuts in US history.  The bill was passed in the House without a single Democratic vote, and in the Senate, only Chuck Robb of Virginia voted with the GOP.

On May 4, Martin, along with several other countries, intervenes in Serbia to prevent mass genocide by Slobadon Milosevic.  From May until November, Martin ordered a series of bombings, intended to force a peace agreement.

The 1998 Congressional Elections

After making large gains for several years, the GOP finally regained the Senate.  They picked up seats in Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio, and Wisconsin.  The Democrats picked up seats in New York, North Carolina, and Indiana.  In the House, the GOP lost a good number of seats.  This prompted Speaker Newt Gingrich to resign his leadership post, although he did not resign from the House entirely.

House Results
Republicans: 226 (-12)
Democrats: 209 (+12)

Senate Results:
Republicans: 51 (+2)
Democrats: 49 (-2)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 08:05:42 PM »

Since we seem to be bumping good timelines...really big bump!

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 08:08:12 PM »

Ben, this is a great timeline. Keep it up.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »

We finally have a president who was a governor of North Carolina!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 10:21:50 PM »

Wow, what a blast from the past.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 11:10:51 PM »

This is terrible!  I really didn't do a very good job with this.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2009, 07:54:04 AM »

Really? I mean, TR wins in 1912 and JFK Lives are better (much better, I daresay), but this isn't half-bad. Considering there's barely anything left, maybe you could finish this after you finish JFK Lives, before moving on to Smith wins in 1928? Grin
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2009, 08:25:14 AM »

Ben, it's one of the first TL I read here. It is very brief, but it's very good for such short TL Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2009, 01:42:39 PM »

Really? I mean, TR wins in 1912 and JFK Lives are better (much better, I daresay), but this isn't half-bad. Considering there's barely anything left, maybe you could finish this after you finish JFK Lives, before moving on to Smith wins in 1928? Grin

I'll consider finishing this, yes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies