Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:11:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 162835 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2008, 02:53:56 PM »
« edited: August 02, 2008, 04:19:53 PM by TommyC1776 »

Election Day, 1916:

William J Bryan-red
Teddy Roosevelt-blue
Bob LaFollette-green

PV%: Bryan 44% Roosevelt 37% LaFollette 14% Debs 5%

Senator William J Bryan wins the election.  Roosevelt couldn't believe he lost but sent his congratulations to the Senator.  LaFollette was glad that Roosevelt wasn't going to be in the White House.

Bryan makes his victory speech that night: "Tonight I have won the Presidency."  (loud cheers go out to the Senator)  "I won with your help.  It's great to win an election especially a Presidential race.  Now let's get ready for March 1917 when we can make a difference."

House and Senate results soon.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »

House results, 1916: 251 Dems, 178 Reps, 4 Prog, 2 Soc.
Senate results, 1916: 56 Dems, 36 Reps, 3 Prog., 1 Soc.

The Democrats have gained more seats in both Houses as predicted.

Leaders of the House:
Speaker of the House: John W. Davis
House Majority Leader: William R Hearst
House Republican Leader: George Norris

Leaders of the Senate:
Senate Majority Leader: James M. Cox (just elected)
Senate Republican Leader: Robert T. Lincoln

Both Houses recess until January now.

Once Bryan was inaugurated he would have a Democratic Congress to work with.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2008, 05:09:26 PM »

In December 1916 David Lloyd George becomes Prime Minister of Great Britain.

World War I: Turkey has declared Independence from Europe's suzerainty.  About a month later Germany resumes USW.  Then the US distroys the diplomatic ties with Germany.

In February 1917 President Roosevelt addresses Congress about the war and the ties being broken.  He states "We really must do something now and we must declare war on Germany.  It's a must at this point.  I plan to meet with Senator Bryan and Speaker Clark as well as Senate Republican Leader Robert Lincoln."

A few weeks later Britain sends the US a telegram that Mexico might side with the Germans (and against the US).  At this point, Roosevelt can't do much about it as his term is almost up.  Therefore the decision to go to war will rest upon Bryan's shoulders.

On March 4, 1917 Senator Bryan is inaugurated President of the United States and Speaker Clark is inaugurated Vice President of the United States.

The first issue on Bryan's desk is the war and what to do.  He plans to meet with members of Congress to discuss the war.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2008, 05:21:46 PM »

President Bryan and most Democrats and some Republicans feel he should consider going to war.

President Bryan addresses Congress: "Members of Congress I address you today to say that I am not going to declare war at this point.  Peace is still a reasonable solution.  We can however aid our friends in this war.  I plan to meet with Britain's Prime Minister George to discuss what the U.S. can do."

While the war is still on his mind Bryan asks Congress to make up another Act that would prohibit discrimination of German Americans.

Speaker John W Davis schedules a vote on the issue at the beginning of April.  It will be called the Civil Rights Act of 1917.  In April the House vote is 259-172.  Then it is sent to the Senate where Senate Leader James Cox will bring it up soon.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2008, 07:54:45 PM »

The Senate votes 57-37 on the Civil Rights Act of 1917.  The next day President Bryan signs it into law.

In May President Bryan again meets with the VP, Speaker Davis and Senate Leader James Cox about declaring war.  This meeting results in the President considering taking action in the war.  Vice President Clark states "We may go to war if we have to.  It looks like we may."

President Bryan states he won't go to war yet but may soon as the Vice President said.

Some people are starting to call the President a "flip-flopper."  Senate Minority Leader states "First the President is against the war but now he is considering going to war.  What do you call a person like that?  A flip-flopper."

President Bryan makes a statement to the press "We won't go to war.  Remember I said that.  We won't go."

President Bryan urges Congress to pass an act to give some aid to Britain in the war.  The House passes the War Aid Act by a good margin and the Senate passes it by a big margin too.

After a month recess the US and Britain pass a law called the Migratory Bird Treaty Act , which protects birds that are going extinct.

Speaker Davis states the vote will take place in August.

Former President Roosevelt tells Americans to vote Republican in the 1918 elections.  He goes around the country citing the need for war.  The former President is the frontrunner for the 1920 GOP nod.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2008, 04:04:22 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2008, 09:06:15 PM by TommyC1776 »

1918 begins with the Allies winning the war.  Former President Roosevelt starts stumping for Republicans in the fall.  The former President is considered as a potential GOP candidate in 1920.  He states he will make his decision after the elections.

Some Senators and Congressman are still furious that President Bryan never went to war especially after that Mexico incident.

Republicans and some Democrats urge House Speaker John Davis to vote on the war.  The vote is scheduled for March.  The House votes 240-193 against the war.  The President states "I am glad there was another vote against going to war."

During the same month there began to be a flu pandemic throughout the US.  People got sick and  died.  Some got better but had relapses.

President Bryan ordered that some federal money be sent to Scientists to solve this crisis.

Meanwhile, throughout the summer the war seemed like it was coming to an end as the Central Powers kept suffering defeat.

As the midterm elections approached Republicans campaigned hard to win more seats.  The Farmer Labor Party was created as an Anti-War Party and to help farmers.

Congress takes up Prohibition.  The vote in the House is 225-210.  They decide to prohibit alcohol's use in America.  It's a close vote and it barely passes.  It then goes to the Senate the next couple days and they vote 54-42 in favor of the Amendment.  President Bryan signed it into law.

Then it is sent to the States for ratification.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2008, 05:42:05 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2008, 05:47:35 PM by TommyC1776 »

Midterm Elections, 1918:
House: 237 Dems, 193, 4 Prog, 1 FL.
Senate: 52 Dems, 41 Reps, 3 Prog.

The leaders are still the same in each House.  The Republicans won 15 more House seats and 5 more Senate seats.  Former President Roosevelt states he might be a candidate for President in 1920.

Now as 1918 winds down the Senate and House are out on recess.

A few weeks after the midterm elections the war is over.  The Allies won.  President Bryan issued a statement "America, the war is over and so there will be no more debate about it.  We stood with peace and it did us good."

Then comes sad news as at the beginning of January 1919 former President Roosevelt dies in his sleep.  President Bryan issues this statement "We have lost a great man.  He was rough most of the time and a great campaigner.  He deserves to be remembered.  America,we should all pray tonight for his family.  I stand here today and say that he really was a champion of equal rights, child labor laws and other things too.  Mr. President we will miss you.  God Bless President Roosevelt."

Henry Ford makes a nice eulogy too "He was a great man and I will miss him. Even though we disagreed on some issues he still was a great man.  God Bless President Roosevelt."

March 4, 1919 the 66th Congress starts.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2008, 01:00:05 PM by TommyC1776 »

Speaker of the House John W Davis declares that the Child Labor Law Act of 1919 will be brought up.  The House debates this issue and in the end the vote is 249-180.  It is now sent to the Senate where Senator James Cox schedules it for a couple weeks later.  This act would make the work week shorter for children.

At the end of March the Senate brings the issue up.  The vote in the Senate is 57-39.  Now the next day President Bryan signs it into law.  The 2 Houses go into another recess.

On April 2nd, 1919 Henry Ford declares he's interested in the GOP nod in 1920 but won't decide for certain until August or September.

About a week later President Bryan states "I will not be running for another term as your President.  I have decided to retire from politics after I am done being President.  It's been fun but someone else needs a turn.  I have served 2 terms as President and that seems fair.  Thank you all who supported me throughout the years and continuing to support me."

This leaves the door open for Vice President Clark if he wants to run to which he says "I'd consider it."

Potential candidates, 1920:

Potential Republicans:
Henry Ford
Gov. Warren Harding
Charles Hughes

Potential Democrats:
Vice President Champ Clark
Senator James Cox
Thomas Marshall

Potential Progressives:
Former VP LaFollette
William Borah
Hiram Johnson
Rep George Norris
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »

As April progresses the "Red Scare" comes into play as alot of Americans become wary of Communism.  First the Mayor of Seattle, WA gets a bomb from someone.  It ends up with a NYC policeman getting killed by a bomb.

The President addresses the nation "Americans, we must find a way to stop Communism as it seems to be spreading."  As things settle down the US doesn't really do much.

On August 10th Henry Ford announces his candidacy for the GOP nomination for President in 1920.

Later that month Vice President Clark announces his intentions to seek the Democratic nomination for President in 1920.

As 1919 goes on more candidates jump in.  On the GOP side there's Representative George Norris, Former Representative Jesse R Grant, Ohio Governor Warren Harding and Charles Hughes, who jump in.
On the Democratic side there's Thomas Marshall and Senator James Cox, who jump in.

As 1920 gets near that means one thing: primaries.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2008, 09:49:41 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2008, 01:02:50 PM by TommyC1776 »

(Note: again I will do estimate delegates for the primaries)

Ford campaigns hard in New Hampshire.  He hopes to win there.  Ford wins the endorsement of New Hampshire's Governor John Bartlett.  Bartlett calls Ford "A real leader."

New Hampshire: March 9th

Republicans: 21 delegates
Ford 51%-11 delegates
Hughes 43%-10 delegates
Grant 5%
Harding 1%.

Ford states "It's great to win a primary.  I want to thank all my supporters as well as the Governor of this nice state."

Democrats: 22 delegates
Clark 52%-11 delegates
Cox 45%-11 delegates
Marshall 3%.

Clark's victory speech "I couldn't have done this without you.  You made this come true.  Thank you all.  Let's go on and win more.  Onto the west, which is my territory."

Cox tells his supporters "We're still going on from here."  Thomas Marshall decides to stick with it for awhile.

up next: North Dakota.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2008, 10:09:30 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2009, 11:35:04 AM by TommyC1776 »

Representative George Norris is ready for North Dakota as well as South Dakota the week after.  He figures with these 2 primaries a week a part he can become the GOP frontrunner.

North Dakota: March 16th

Republicans: 24 delegates
Ford 52%-13 delegate
Hughes 44%-11 delegates
Grant 3%
Harding 1%.

Democrats: 21 delegates
Clark 59%-12 delegates
Cox 39%-9 delegates
Marshall 2%.

Clark is the Democratic frontrunner now.  Clark says "Ford or Hughes, we'll have a good fight but we will win with me as the nominee."

South Dakota: March 23rd

Republicans: 19 delegates
Ford 53%-10 delegates.
Hughes 45%-9 delegates.
Grant 1%
Harding 1%

Warren Harding decides to drop out of the race now and endorse Henry Ford.

Democrats: 20 delegates
Clark 57%-11 delegates
Cox 40%-9 delegates
Marshall 3%.

Senator Cox states "Let's go on and beat Speaker Clark in the Michigan primary in about 2 weeks."

Total delegates so far:

Republicans:
Ford-34 delegates
Hughes-30 delegates

Democrats:
Clark-34 delegates
Cox-29 delegates.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2008, 10:45:50 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2009, 11:37:28 AM by TommyC1776 »

President Bryan starts campaigning hard for the Vice President.  He tells Michigan voters that Champ Clark is their candidate.  Senator Cox is expected to win Michigan.

On the Republican side, Henry Ford is expected to win Michigan handily.  He campaigns there a little bit and people are cheering "Ford, Ford, Ford."  Ford concentrates alot of his time in New York and Wisconsin.  He tells voters in those states "Vote for the best person who can lead our party.  I believe I am that man.  Let's go on and win Michigan, New York and Wisconsin."

Finally Michigan's primary gets here.

Michigan: April 5th

Republicans: 30 delegates
Ford 68%-20 delegates
Hughes 27%-10 delegates
Grant 5%.

Democrats: 34 delegates
Cox 54%-18 delegates
Clark 43%- 16 delegates
Marshall 3%

Thomas Marshall decides to drop out and endorse James Cox.

New York: April 6th

Republicans: 91 delegates
Ford 56%-51 delegates
Hughes 41%-40 delegates
Grant 3%.

Democrats: 94 delegates
Cox 58%-55 delegates
Clark 42%-39 delegates

Wisconsin: April 6th

Republicans: 31 delegates
Ford 55%-17 delegates
Hughes 41%-14 delegates
Grant 4%

Jesse R Grant decides to drop out of the race and endorse Henry Ford.

Democrats: 34 delegates
Cox 53%-18 delegates
Clark 47%-16 delegates.

Total delegates so far:

Republican:
Ford-121 delegates
Hughes-94 delegates.

Henry Ford is the ultimate frontrunner at this point.

Democrats:
Cox-120 delegates
Clark-105 delegates.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2008, 11:11:46 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2008, 01:15:44 PM by TommyC1776 »

Illinois: April 13th

Republicans: 51 delegates
Hughes 51%-26 delegates
Ford 49%-25 delegates.

Democrats: 53 delegates
Cox 52%-28 delegates
Clark 48%-25 delegates.

On the Democratic side, Champ Clark is getting ready for Nebraska which votes the following week.

Nebraska: April 20th

Republicans: 23 delegates
Ford 54%-12 delegates
Hughes 45%-11 delegates
Other 1%

Democrats: 24 delegates
Clark 54%-13 delegates
Cox 46%-11 delegates

Montana: April 23rd

Republicans: 13 delegates
Ford 52%-7 delegates
Hughes 48%-6 delegates.

Democrats: 11 delegates
Clark 55%-6 delegates
Cox 45%-5 delegates.

Total delegates so far:

Republicans:
Ford-165 delegates
Hughes-137 delegates.

Democrats:
Cox-164 delegates
Clark-149 delegates.

Three primaries coming up on April 27th: Massachusetts, Ohio and New Jersey.  Get excited.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2008, 01:58:01 AM »

Potential Republicans:
Henry Ford
Rep. George Norris
Gov. Warren Harding
Charles Hughes

If there is a Progressive Party in 1920, then George Norris of Nebraska would be apart of it, thus in my personal opinion it is likely that George Norris would be considered a potential candidate for the 1920 Progressive Party nomination instead of the 1920 Republican Party nomination. Just trying to help Tommy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »

Conor, "apart" and "a part" are opposites. Please use them correctly.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2008, 01:16:33 PM »

Potential Republicans:
Henry Ford
Rep. George Norris
Gov. Warren Harding
Charles Hughes

If there is a Progressive Party in 1920, then George Norris of Nebraska would be apart of it, thus in my personal opinion it is likely that George Norris would be considered a potential candidate for the 1920 Progressive Party nomination instead of the 1920 Republican Party nomination. Just trying to help Tommy.

Thanks.  i kept thinking he changed in the mid 1920's.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »

Note: not to sound lazy but, for this election the Progressives won't have primaries this year.  I thought about it but then I decided not to.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2008, 02:34:17 PM »

Massachusetts: April 27th

Republicans: 36 delegates
Ford 54%-19 delegates
Hughes 45%-17 delegates
Write-in 1%.

Democrats: 37 delegates
Cox 52%-19 delegates
Clark 48%-18 delegates

New Jersey: April 27th

Republicans: 31 delegates
Ford 54%-17 delegates
Hughes 46%-14 delegates.

Democrats: 33 delegates
Cox 56%-18 delegates
Clark 44%-15 delegates.

Ohio: April 27th

Republicans: 46 delegates
Ford 51%-23 delegates
Hughes 49%-23 delegates.

Hughes considers dropping out.  He will decide within the next day or so.

Democrats: 45 delegates
Cox 61%-27 delegates
Clark 39%-18 delegates.

Total delegates so far:

Republicans:
Ford-224 delegates.
Hughes-191 delegates.

Democrats:
Cox-228 delegates.
Clark-200 delegates.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2008, 02:40:24 PM »

April 29th, 1919 the Prohibion Amendment is ratified and takes effect in July.

Republican candidate Charles E Hughes states "I am staying in this race until I win." he tells supporters.

President Bryan keeps telling people to support the Vice President in the Democratic primaries.  "Vice President Clark is a very good and honest man.  He will lookout for you."

Some people are predicting (from what results they've seen) Cox as the Democratic nominee and Ford as the GOP nominee.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2008, 03:31:37 PM »

Henry Ford is heading to campaign in Maryland and California.  He leaves Indiana to Hughes as he expects Hughes will win their.

Charles Hughes does all he can to catch up to Ford in delegates.  He campaigns hard in Indiana but even harder in Maryland and California.

Senator Robert Lincoln goes campaigning for Hughes and states "Hughes is the only man who can work hard for our nation's interests."

Maryland: May 3rd

Republicans: 19 delegates
Ford 54%-10 delegates
Hughes 46%-9 delegates.

Democrats: 23 delegates
Clark 51%-12 delegates
Cox 49%-11 delegates.

VP Clark states "I won another primary, which proves this isn't over yet.  Let's go on and win Indiana and California tomorrow."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2008, 11:00:33 AM »

California: May 4th

Republicans: 27 delegates
Ford 54%-15 delegates.
Hughes 46%-12 delegates.

Democrats: 30 delegates
Cox 56%-17 delegates.
Clark 44%-13 delegates.

Indiana: May 4th

Republicans: 32 delegates
Hughes 61%-20 delegates
Ford 39%-12 delegates

Democrats: 35 delegates
Cox 57%-20 delegates
Clark 43%-15 delegates.

Total delegates so far:

Republicans:
Ford-261 delegates.
Hughes-232 delegates.

Democrats:
Cox-276 delegates.
Clark-240 delegates.

Vice President Clark drops out of the race for the Democratic nomination.  That makes Senator James M. Cox the presumptive Democratic nominee in 1920.

Charles Hughes states he's going to see how PA goes (in 2 weeks) and go from there.  Henry Ford is pretty much (at this point) certain to get the GOP nod in 1920.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »

James Cox starts campaigning for the Presidency.  Cox says "Let's keep Democrats in office.  Our President has done alot.  He helped pass the Civil Rights Act of 1917 and he kept us out of war.  I will continue his work as I will make sure you all are equal and that the poor get some help from the Government.  Another issue of importance is unions.  We must keep labor unions as they are a great thing to have."

privately Cox is considering picking VP Champ Clark as his running mate.

Meanwhile, the Progressives are getting ready to nominate a candidate for President on May 30th at their convention.  Former VP Bob LaFollette hopes to be the nominee again while he is challenged for the Progressive nod by Representative George Norris.  Hiram Johnson is also running for the Progressive nod.  We will see at the end of the month who the Progressives pick for President and Vice President in 1920.

A week before the Pennsylvania primary Charles Hughes decides to drop out and endorse Ford.  He says "We need a businessman in the White House and Ford is the right candidate for the business population and the GOP."

Now the election is Ford vs. Cox vs. Prog nominee (?)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2008, 11:37:52 AM »

Progressive Party Convention, 1920: May 30th-May 31st.

Former VP Robert LaFollette is nominated on the 3rd ballot for President.  LaFollette picks Representative George Norris for his Vice Presidential nominee.

LaFollette states "Progressives, let's go on and win in November.  America is about choices and we should be a multi-party system not just the 2 parties.  Representative Norris and I will campaign hard for you and we will beat both Henry Ford and Senator Cox."

Democratic and Republican conventions coming up.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2008, 11:53:03 PM »

Republican Convention: June 8th-June 12th, 1920.

Henry Ford is nominated on the first ballot.  He nominates former Associate Justice Charles Hughes as his running mate.

Ford tells convention "We will win and make the Republican Party better.  The war issue is done so we all should come together and beat Democrats.  America should be run like a business and that's just what I intend to do.  Justice Hughes and I will win and win big.  As I've said before this election is where all Republicans should be together.  Now, let's go and win in November.  Vote for business, vote Ford/Hughes in 1920.  Thank you."

Edith Roosevelt addresses the convention urging all woman to support Henry Ford.  "Woman all across America I urge you to support Henry Ford this election.  He is the right man at this time.  Go Ford/Hughes."

Democratic Convention: June 28th-July 2nd.

The Democrats nominate Senator James Cox for President and Vice President Clark for Vice President.

Cox tells delegates "Let's continue the success of the Bryan administration and vote for me in November.  Democrats are really the candidates for the smaller people.  We will look out for you.  If you want your local union to get any help vote Democratic this fall, if you want equal rights vote Democratic, etc.  Remember that.  Thanks to you all who voted for me in the primaries."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »

Campaign 1920:

Senator Cox starts telling Americans that Ford will only help those in the business industry.  Ford denies this saying "I will work for the poor too."

President Bryan tells Americans to vote Cox/Clark in 1920 as it's the "best team for America at this time."

Former First Lady Edith Roosevelt goes out on the stump for Ford telling every woman in America that Ford is truly the candidate for woman too.  she's asked why she's supporting Ford when he almost beat her husband during the 1916 primaries.  Roosevelt says "My husband and Mr. Ford may have disagreed with eachother on certain issues but in the end we're both Republicans and I believe Ford will carry on my late husband's policies."

Ford thanks Roosevelt for her nice words about him.  President Bryan goes on the stump to say "Ford's using the former first lady to get votes.  I will tell you that Democrats will do more for woman than Republicans will."

As election day nears Senator Robert Lincoln tells Republicans to vote for Ford this time and not LaFollette.  He states "Former Vice President LaFollete has some good ideas but he can't win and we need Ford at this time.  Vote for Ford/Hughes in November."

LaFollette states "It's fine for the former President to change his mind and support Mr. Ford this election but to say I can't win is wrong.  That's the problem with just having a 2 party system.  They try to exclude third parties from the media and from voters.  Remember in November vote for who you want and if you want to vote for Mr. Ford or Senator Cox that's fine but I say that a vote for me is a better one."

The election is almost here and get ready for the election results.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies