Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:34:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 163200 times)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: May 05, 2010, 08:52:31 AM »

yougo1000
United States

« Reply #851 on: May 05, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #852 on: May 08, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »

Presidential Debate: October 21, 1992

Jim Lehrer will moderate the debate.

Lehrer: Hello Americans and welcome to the 1992 Presidential debate.  We have with us tonight President Walter Mondale and General Colin Powell.  The first question will go to President Mondale.  How has the Civil Rights Act of 1991 changed things and is it for the better?

Mondale: It's changed things by having homosexuals not being treated differently than others.  It's a change for the better in my view of the issue.

Powell: I personally believe that the Act is a good idea.  People shouldn't be discriminated against.  Being an African American I understand the struggles of being treated differently from others.

Lehrer: Second question, what's your plan to deal with the recent defunct Soviet Union?  General Powell go first.

Powell: My plan is to make sure the former Soviet Union starts to become a democracy and keep Communism out of there.

Mondale: As President I've worked well with Gorbachev and helped him get it toward a democracy.

Lehrer: The last question, what's your first thing you will do in office starting next year?  President Mondale?

Mondale: The first thing I'll do if I'm re-elected is keep fighting discrimination against any minority and look out for the good of the less fortunate.  My opponent won't tell you this but he's going to raise your taxes and give tax breaks to the rich.

Powell: The first thing I'd do if I'm President starting January 20, 1993 is stop some of this liberal spending and go back to the Bush days of dealing with things.  Also, my opponent is wrong about my tax plans.  His plans will raise your taxes not mine.  Thank you.

Lehrer: Thanks for participating President Mondale and General Powell.  We all appreciate it.  Thanks for watching and have a great night.  Remember to vote on November 3rd.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #853 on: May 10, 2010, 12:39:31 AM »

Presidential Election, 1992

BREAKING NEWS: General Colin Powell is elected President.

Powell 53%, Mondale 46%, Other 1%

EV: Powell 312, Mondale 226
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #854 on: May 10, 2010, 01:11:01 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2010, 01:12:45 AM by TommyC1776 »

Congressional Elections:

House: 244 Democrats, 191 Republicans
Senate: 58 Democrats, 41 Republicans, 1 Independent (caucuses with Dems)

President-elect Powell will have a Democratic Congress to work with.

Powell states "I want to thank President Mondale for a great race this year and the great effort he did to try to win support.  I also want to thank the voters tonight for electing me to the highest office in America.  This will be a great experience for me and the country as we move forward with everything.  I'd like to also thank my family and friends who stood by me as I decided to run.  We will restore the Republican ways to America starting January 20th.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Goodnight.  God Bless America."

President Mondale states "I want to congratulate General Powell for his election tonight.  We really wish it could've been the other way around but the American people wanted another direction.  Thanks for letting me serve 4 years as President."

Speaker of the House Tom Foley and Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell plan to work well with President-elect Powell.  "We will bring our ideas together for America."

Powell's worried about what the Democrats legislative plans are for the next 2 years are.

The Republican's can try to filibuster legislation however it depends on what the liberal/moderate Republicans support.

Upcoming: President-elect Powell's Inaugural Address and the 1993-1994 Congress.  Wait and see what happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #855 on: May 10, 2010, 01:18:08 AM »

I also want to thank everyone who still looks at this timeline.  It's been 2 years (yesterday) since I started this TL.  Amazing how the time flies and stuff.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #856 on: May 12, 2010, 05:01:27 PM »

On January 3rd, 1993 the 103rd Congress is sworn in.

During the next week it is anounced that State Secretary Kennedy will run for his old Senate seat in 1994.  "I feel that I need to keep doing public service." stated Kennedy.

On January 18th President Mondale issues his fairwell address: "I want to thank all of you for giving me a chance to serve as your President for 4 years.  Being President can and has been stressful but it's also a challenge.  Have a great day.  Thanks."

President Mondale attends Powell's inauguration.

President Colin Powell

On January 20, 1993 General Powell is inaugurated President.  "Americans, I want to thank you for helping me get elected and I'm ready to serve.  We must end the policies of the last 4 years and go back to the Bush policy days.  I plan to work well with the Democrats in Congress and get legislation through.  Having a bipartisan government is what we've needed for a long time and we haven't seen that in awhile.  During the Mondale administration we got votes down party lines mostly.  That's wrong.  Thanks again and God Bless America."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #857 on: May 12, 2010, 05:31:27 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2010, 05:33:05 PM by TommyC1776 »

On February 24th Brian Mulroney resigns as PM of Canada.  Kim Campbell is the new PM.

2 days later there's a bombing in the World Trade Center with a car.  President Powell says "We will get the people responsible for this.  Whoever did this will pay.  America has been strong and will continue to be stronger."  Powell orders investigations into the attacks.

Speaker of the House Tom Foley considers bringing up the Secure Buildings Act of 1993.  This act would give major office buildings better security and make sure nothing like this happened again.  Most members of Congress support this legislation and plan to vote on it ASAP.

Wait and see.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #858 on: May 13, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »

The House passes the Secure Buildings Act of 1993 by a vote of 302-133.  A few days later the Senate votes 71-29.  President Powell signs the bill into law on March 24th, 1993.

Tom Foley introduces the Family And Medical Leave Act and hopes for bipartisan support.  President Powell says "I will sign this if it ever comes to my desk."

Some Republicans are calling Powell "A Democrat".  President Powell calls this statement "Untrue and you know it everyone."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #859 on: May 13, 2010, 07:41:05 PM »

Macedonia joins the United Nations on April 8th.

Macedonia's flag

On April 13th, Tom Foley starts debate on the Family And Medical Leave Act.  The House votes 260-175.

The Senate votes 64-36 on the Family And Medical Leave Act and President Powell signs it into law on May 1st.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #860 on: May 13, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »

Keep it coming! Smiley
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #861 on: May 13, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »

Thank you.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #862 on: May 16, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2010, 12:19:35 AM by TommyC1776 »

During the summer of 1993 President Powell addresses the issue of gays in the military in the memory of Allen R. Schindler, Jr.

"I feel we need to do something Americans regarding homosexuals in the military.  We need a law in which will tackle this issue."

Senator Jesse Helms says "We need to ban them from the military.  That's it."  President Pro Temp of the Senate Robert Byrd said "This is an issue where I have serious doubts about.  I disagree with my party on this issue.  I'm with Senator Helms on this."

Over the next few months Democrats and Republicans hold hearings on the subject.

President Powell meets with Speaker Foley, Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell and Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole to discuss it.  They hold a press conference later and say "We've decided on a compromise on a policy where gays and lesbians won't serve openly and can't be asked about their life.  I expect Congress to get this passed eventually."

Speaker Foley proposes what would be called the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

The House votes on the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Bill of 1993 280-151 and then the Senate votes 65-34.  President Powell signs it into law on September 19th, 1993

Conservatives and liberals believe this was a compromise that both sides could agree on.

Upcoming: rest of 1993 and 1994 (including the midterms).
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #863 on: May 16, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »

On December 11th the Chilean's hold an election and elect a new President.

President Eduardo Frei Ruiz Tagle
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #864 on: May 18, 2010, 06:36:26 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2010, 11:49:53 PM by TommyC1776 »

As 1994 comes in it looks like the Democrats may lose some seats in the Senate and could possibly lose control of the House.

President Powell states "I feel the Republicans can win more seats this fall."  Meanwhile, former President Mondale is campaigning hard for Democrats in 1994. "I feel we can make the President look weak and get the Democrats more seats in the fall." said Mondale.

In the second week of January President Powell signs the Kremlin Accords with Russian President Boris Yeltsin.

Russian President Boris Yeltsin
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #865 on: June 10, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »

At the beginning of March South Africa gives Walvis Bay to Namibia.  Later that month the church of England ordains its first female priests.

The 66th Academy Awards take place on March 21st with Whoopie Goldberg hosting.

President Powell campaigns hard for the Republicans and hope they can win more races.

"The Republican Party will do well this fall.  I know we can and we will."  stated the President.  "Let's show the Democrats we mean business."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #866 on: June 15, 2010, 04:12:56 PM »

Former Sec. of State Ted Kennedy announces a run for his old Senate seat.  "I come to you citizens of Massachusetts as a candidate for the Senate.  We must keep the Democrats in power.  Thank you Americans and let's get this campaign going."  Kennedy's approval rating is 60%.

Former President Mondale is considering running for the Senate again.

Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell announces he won't be running again.  Democrats in the Senate feel that if they keep a majority in the Senate that they will name Ted Kennedy (if elected) Majority Leader again.

Depending on how the rest of 1994 turns out Republicans plan on running a candidate against the President in the primaries.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #867 on: June 16, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2010, 11:40:02 AM by TommyC1776 »

During the first weeks of May the House is debating the Freedom of Accress to Clinic Entrances Act of 1994.  The House passes it 250-182.  The Senate votes 65-31.  President Powell signs it into law on May 31st, 1994.  During the summer of 94 President Powell campaigns hard for Republicans in the midterms.

Get ready for the midterms.  ok?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #868 on: June 16, 2010, 04:14:59 PM »

Polls are showing that the Democrats will lose seats this year in both the House and Senate.

President Powell: "Let's get some more Republicans in there this year."

Former President Mondale (who decided against running again for the Senate) states "Come on Democrats let's get more seats this fall."  Meanwhile Ted Kennedy is looking forward to being Majority Leader again as he states "Democrats when I'm Majority Leader we can accomplish a lot of things."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #869 on: June 16, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »

Midterms, 1994:
House: 225 Democrats, 210 Republicans
Senate: 53 Democrats, 47 Republicans

Leaders:
Speaker of the House: Tom Foley
House Majority Leader: Dick Gephardt
House Minority Leader: Newt Gingrich

Senate Majority Leader: Ted Kennedy
Senate Minority Leader: Bob Dole

Powell congratulates Republicans on doing well in the election. "Our party did well.  We didn't win but we are going to be able to stop alot of legislation brought forward as we can filibuster in the Senate."

Wait and see what else happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #870 on: June 16, 2010, 10:52:57 PM »

On December 28th, 1994 (exactly 12 years to the date he announced his 1984 candidacy) former CA Governor Jerry Brown announces he will be a candidate for President in 1996.  He says "I stand before you as a candidate for President. We must get a Democrat in office in 1996.  We can't afford any more of President Powell's proposals.  Who knows where we'll be if we stick with Powell for another 4 years."

Poll:
Powell 52%
Brown 43%
Undecided 5%

President Powell says "Brown will be like Mondale.  If he's the Democratic nominee in 96 I will win."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #871 on: June 16, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2010, 03:33:25 PM by TommyC1776 »

On January 3rd, 1995 the 104th Congress starts.  Ted Kennedy is Majority Leader again.

Businessman Steve Forbes announces his run for the Presidency.  "I plan to challenge the President as he seems more liberal than most in our party want.  Conservatism is what people want.  We can't afford all these spending programs in the country."

Former Vice President Barry Goldwater endorses Forbes for the Presidency.  "Steve Forbes is a true leader for America.  He will stand up for the values that we in our party are in favor of."  stated Goldwater.

President Powell states "I can fend off Steve Forbes."

Polls:
Powell 64%
Forbes 28%
Other 3%
Undecided 5%
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #872 on: June 16, 2010, 11:30:13 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2010, 09:57:08 PM by TommyC1776 »

Former President Harold Stassen states "I have to disagree with my former running mate.  I endorse the current President.  That's the best choice for next November."

A few months later former VP candidate in 1992 Al Gore announces he is a candidate for the Democratic nomination.  "I feel that I can best represent the Democrats in 1996 than can Jerry Brown."

On April 19, 1995 Timothy McVeigh tries to set off a bomb in front of the Alfred P. Murra Building.  However since the enactment of the Secure Building Act of 1993 it doesn't harm anything as security catches it on camera and the building structure was made better since the Act was enacted.

Then a few weeks later former Vice President Gary Hart announces he will be a candidate for the Democratic nomination.  "I will continue the success of the Mondale administration."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #873 on: June 28, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »

President Powell starts campaigning in New Hampshire as the 1996 election is upon us.

Forbes starts calling Powell "A Republican who's really a Democrat."  Forbes hopes to do well in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Polling for Rep nod:
Powell 60%
Forbes 30%
Other 4%
Undecided 6%

Polling for Dem nod:
Brown 40%
Hart 31%
Gore 20%
Undecided 9%.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #874 on: June 28, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »

During the summer of 1995 a bunch of Americans across the country try to get ballot access for a new Reform Party.  They hope to make it on 50 states.  Businessman Ross Perot says he'd consider running for that party if it can get on 50 states.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies